Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CE268FD8-72BF-462C-B95E-9505E2BCC0D6 (resized).jpeg
    E8B5C2EA-B038-496A-B051-F5096B7A6378 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Hi everyone,

I am based in Australia and I recently visited an online store in the USA that sells bumper caps, drop targets.. a range of pinball machine parts. I popped two items into my basket (four pop bumper caps and a set of five plastic drop targets). The total of these items came to roughly $55USD. The seller calculated international shipping per item: $13.11USD for bumper caps and $21.83 for drop targets. Despite the fact that this amounts to roughly $35USD to ship items weighing about 100 grams ($350 per kg!), I'm wondering why it is not possible for a retailer to have a fixed price for shipping up to a certain weight? I tried adding two more sets of pop bumper caps to my order, and the shipping went up to a whopping $100USD. The seller has advised that they provide tracking, which is great however I'd like to understand if this is how USPS, FedEx and other companies calculate shipping costs. I recently had an airbrush shipped from China and the shipping cost was $30 AUD. At the rates for those two items I mentioned earlier, I'd be paying $160 AUD in for 4 bumper caps and 5 drop targets to be shipped, which seems just a little excessive.

#2 1 year ago

Pinball Haus from Brisbane will have you covered with anything mate, Pinball spare parts and RTBB. Look them up.
    Cheers

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from matto9018:

Pinball Haus from Brisbane will have you covered with anything mate, Pinball spare parts and RTBB. Look them up.
    Cheers

Thanks Matto but neither of those sell Playboy Bumper caps or drop targets

#4 1 year ago

Shipping parts from the USA is always expensive, minimum will always be $30 - $40

#5 1 year ago

That is pretty standard cost and reasonable.

#6 1 year ago

What drop targets are you after out of interest?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from swinks:

What drop targets are you after out of interest?

CE268FD8-72BF-462C-B95E-9505E2BCC0D6 (resized).jpegCE268FD8-72BF-462C-B95E-9505E2BCC0D6 (resized).jpegE8B5C2EA-B038-496A-B051-F5096B7A6378 (resized).jpegE8B5C2EA-B038-496A-B051-F5096B7A6378 (resized).jpeg
    #8 1 year ago

Does the seller offer to ship via DHL? Here in America we were able to order small packages from Pinball Rescue in Australia via DHL for a flat $34 USD air mail rate.

Ask the seller if they can ship in a flat rate usps priority air mail box.

I’ve heard that shipping from Canada to Australia is cheaper than from US to Australia. Maybe you can have the parts shipped to a friend in Canada and then air mailed to you.

#9 1 year ago

Maybe check out a post forwarder from US to Aus.

https://www.myus.com/welcome/australia/?aid=1000721&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign={campaign}&utm_content={adgroup}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuaPI_PPT-gIVQ5NmAh27rgOFEAAYASAAEgKoo_D_BwE

#10 1 year ago

Small stores probably use retail pricing. To get the bulk pricing you have to be a merchant that ships a lot of items.

USPS rates are the cheapest of the commonly used carriers. All carriers are subject to lost or delayed packages. I believe that favoring one carrier over another is superstition. I've had issues with all the carriers.

You can use the USPS website to see what would be an expected ballpark figure for shipping. For example, 2lbs from US to AU (https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=10013&ccode=AU&m=6&p=2&o=0) shows a range from $31 (First-Class Package International) to $43 (Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box) to $64 (Priority Mail International - use your own box) to $82 (Priority Mail Express International). I have shipped bigger and heavier packages and the price goes up a little bit more.

For the bigger packages I have walked into the UPS and FedEx Stores and been given rates of $200 for the one package.

Granted that the time I went for a quote from UPS or FedEx was during the height of the pandemic when all the airlines except United Airlines ceased passenger traffic across the Pacific Ocean. Some freight carriers were still operating. Some commercial airlines operated freight only flights. There was limited capacity across the Pacific Ocean at that time. Now that borders are effectively wide open again, the commercial carriers have restarted their services. There is now plenty of freight capacity. This morning I saw quite a number of flights across the Pacific Ocean.

• LAX-SYD (2 Qantas flights)
    • LAX-SYD (1 Delta flight)
    • LAX-SYD (1 United flight)
    • LAX-BNE (1 Qantas flight)
    • SFO-SYD (1 United flight)
    • SFO-MEL (1 United flight)
    • DFW-SYD (1 Qantas flight)
    #11 1 year ago

I'm not seeing the problem.
    I get that your hoping for inexpensive shipping. But the vendor it probably just passing the actual cost of shipping to you.
    International shipping will never be a "flat rate". What Dumbass said more elegantly.

Basically; the best thing for you to do is to arrange a "group buy" with others in your country and share the shipping costs with other people.

#12 1 year ago

agree with DumbAss & Zitt - sounds like passing on actual postage

I do it with the mods I send overseas and at times takes time - flat rate probably costs more as they would round up.

alternative use this site - Pinball Search to find the parts maybe from a cheaper location - did a search on drops

https://www.pinballsearch.com/#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=playboy%20drop%20targets

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/postage-costs-to-australia- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.