4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dr-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 4 years ago

I don't believe it has been mentioned but Terry Kath playing the solo on Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4 is a great one. IF you get a chance watch the recent documentary done by his daughter called The Terry Kath Experience. It was just on TV not long ago, pretty interesting stuff. He was WAY ahead of his time.

First concert I ever went to was Chicago, Syracuse NY, 1970. That was the "good" Chicago before Kath passed away.

#152 4 years ago

So many come to mind, but here is one you guys may not have heard. One of the most tasteful shredders in my opinion. I picked this tune first, and started listening to the album, it's so good and hard to choose one. Jason Becker is amazing.

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

So many come to mind, but here is one you guys may not have heard. One of the most tasteful shredders in my opinion. I picked this tune first, and started listening to the album, it's so good and hard to choose one. Jason Becker is amazing.

Jason is afflicted with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis- “Lou Gehrig’s disease”, which began surfacing when he was recording an album with David Lee Roth. - His story is even more amazing, plus the fact that his DAD invented a language for him to communicate outside of his prison cell of a body, AND he still continues to make music.

There’s a documentary about him called “Not Dead Yet” that is really worth your time. Watch out though, it’s a tear-jerker

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Jason is afflicted with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis- “Lou Gehrig’s disease”, which began surfacing when he was recording an album with David Lee Roth. - His story is even more amazing, plus the fact that his DAD invented a language for him to communicate outside of his prison cell of a body, AND he still continues to make music.
There’s a documentary about him called “Not Dead Yet” that is really worth your time. Watch out though, it’s a tear-jerker

Super sad stuff. Right on the verge of mainstream. I love the Cacophany stuff too.

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Chet Atkins is the gold standard of guitar playing to me. He never overplayed and each note was just the right note for whatever song he was playing. Pure genius..

What I always liked about Chet was how he used dynamics, when he played you had rhythm, and melody, but he also had dynamics which made the notes come at you or go away from you.

#156 4 years ago

Some more:

Alex Lifeson

Joe Walsh

Ritchie Blackmore

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Super sad stuff. Right on the verge of mainstream. I love the Cacophany stuff too.

Absolutely - can’t beat Perpetual Burn though

#158 4 years ago

How about North Carolina's own....Doc Watson

#159 4 years ago

Perhaps not legend status yet but i do really like this guys work. (Solo from about the 5 minute mark)

1 week later
#160 4 years ago

Another guy that is damn good, going to see him in concert within the next 24 hours , which will be the 4th time Well worth going to see/hear if you get the chance!!

#161 4 years ago

This guy is great with a few bourbons under the belt too

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

but i do really like this guys work

That's Derek Trucks. Not only did Derek play in the Allam Brothers Band, his dad Butch was a founding member.

'Midnight in Harlem' is a great showcase of their talent.

Steve (in Las Vegas)

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

That's Derek Trucks. Not only did Derek play in the Allam Brothers Band, his dad Butch was a founding member.
'Midnight in Harlem' is a great showcase of their talent.
Steve (in Las Vegas)

Not only did Derek play in the Allmans - but he did it AT THE AGE OF 21 (I think he was made an official member of the corporation several years later). And essentially replaced Warren Haynes. That blows my mind

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Butch Trucks was Derek’s uncle. Dereck is rated #16 in Rolling Stone magazine top 100.

#166 4 years ago

Marty Friedman's solo in Megadeth's Tornado of Souls is my favorite guitar moment of all time.

Now I want my Rust in Peace LE !!! (designed by Elwin or Meunier)

Starts @ 3:09

#167 4 years ago

Marty Friedman rules.

#168 4 years ago

guitar gods? maybe not. You won't find them on any Rolling Stone top 100 list but Southern Rock didn't get much better than The Outlaws with Hughie Thomasson and Billy Jones. Not even sure who the 3rd guy is in 1978, maybe Freddie Salem?

Regardless, this is 'the Florida Guitar Army' at the top of their game

#169 4 years ago

It doesn’t get much better for me. Not sure if that’s a Les Paul or a Les Paul Jr. into a Marshall but it’s singing. Both of them.

#170 4 years ago

Blast from the past....We're Staaaaarrrrrrrrs

#171 4 years ago

Phil Keaggy (Glass Harp)

#172 4 years ago

Lesly West and Mountain!!! Winterland,SF,1968

1 week later
#173 4 years ago

Keeping the thread alive! Eric Johnson. I mean, c’mon. So tasteful and musical and ridiculously good.

#174 4 years ago

Shot this vid at the Joe Bonamassa gig just recently, unfortunately the camera was doing it's own 'thang' and had a few focus awols.

#175 4 years ago

And the other vid i shot at the JB concert

#176 4 years ago

For something a bit different, future guitar god? There's plenty of kids out there with amazing musical talent that seems far beyond their years that's for sure. This young lad hopefully has a bright future!!

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Skip to 3:25.
Prince takes a solo on a stage full of superstars and proceeds to melt everyone's faces off. Then he throws his guitar straight up in the air and walks off the stage.
The guitar does not fall back down.

I've watched this clip (post #2 in this thread) at least 50 times since posted on here! So good!

1 week later
#178 4 years ago

Maybe not guitar Gods, but this video always amazes me. I couldn't play someone elses picking/fingering, no way.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

This video always amazes me. I couldn't play someone elses picking/fingering, no way.

It requires great picking skills by the guy sitting down and requires the standing guy to use a really good deodorant.

#181 4 years ago

For me it don't get any better then Willie.

John

#183 4 years ago

One of my personal favorites

#184 4 years ago

Steve Vai is always a blast to see live, here's one for you all.
Guitar kicks in @ 4:14

#185 4 years ago

All Zappas guitarists are great, as he was. Mike Keneally, Adrian Belew, Steve Vai, Warren Cuccurullo, Dweezil also. Who am I forgetting?

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

All Zappas guitarists are great, as he was. Mike Keneally, Adrian Belew, Steve Vai, Warren Cuccurullo, Dweezil also. Who am I forgetting?

What a list. Ray White and Ike Willis also

4 weeks later
#187 4 years ago

Perhaps not as well known to you guys over the pond but to us Aussies, Mossy is a legend!!!

1 week later
1 year later
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-your-favorite-guitar-god-performances-all-musical-genres-welcome/page/4?hl=slghokie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.