4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dr-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 4 years ago

I always remember after going to see Brian Setzer and his Orchestra (with guest appearance by the Stray Cats guys) at Universal Studios, I came home and wanted to kick all my guitars into a pile and light them on fire. He was so phenomenally good with the things he did on the guitar that I knew that no matter how much I practiced, I would never get to 1/1000 of his level.

This is true of course with everyone in this thread.

#102 4 years ago

This is the one I went to Lloyd. My first concert at 15 years old. For me this song was the highlite of the day.

#103 4 years ago

I don't think any where else in the world there was a crowd like So Cal in the 70s. And bands from every where used to love to come and play here.

#104 4 years ago

I need to give a shout out to two of my homeboys before I go start dumping gravel. Rikk Agnew and Mike Ness. Two local guitar heroes who have certainly earned they stripes.

You see, the Fender guitar was born right here in our neighborhood and inspired many of the kids to become guitar legends like Dick Dale. Rikk's sister Toni was super hot. Mike was cool but kind of a dick. RIP Dennis Danell and Steve Soto. You were the best of them.

#105 4 years ago

The inspiration for that came because I passed the sight of the old Fender guitar factory on the way to Home Depot. On Fender Ave, of course.

And I forgot to say RIP Dick Dale, the man Leo made his guitar for. And RIP Leo Fender. The world would be a much lessor place without you.

#106 4 years ago

Albert Lee (solo starts around 2:27):

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Finally my favorite player of all time. This guy is just incredible. John Petrucci definitely is a guitar god.

The guy that inspired me to really study guitar

Not sure why this won’t play embedded, but:

#109 4 years ago

4000 lbs of gravel later and I'm a little pooped

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

4000 lbs of gravel later and I'm a little pooped

Saw that movie with my grandma in 1986... back to back with Superman IV. She did NOT like one of them..

But dick dale and SRV together doing a surf cover? YES PLEASE

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I think if Randy Rhodes didn't pass at such a young age he truly would have been revolutionary

I really don’t think so.

He was over fame and being in a rock band, and had already told Ozzy that he was leaving the band at the end of the tour.

I think he would have gone home and done classical teaching and music, and been happy with that.

If you look at other people who have done that (Alex Skolnick comes to mind, he quit metal for Jazz, then came back again) they aren’t really famous.

Look at Jake E Lee ... his playing was stunning on his Ozzy albums, and Badlands, and he’s just another “used to be in Ozzy” guy.

Like a lot of people who died too young, Randy is more famous now that he would be if he was still alive. It’s sad to say that, but that’s how the world works ...

rd

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

He was over fame and being in a rock band, and had already told Ozzy that he was leaving the band at the end of the tour.
I think he would have gone home and done classical teaching and music, and been happy with that.

Funny you should say that. One of his bandmates and best friends from the Quiet Riot days, Kelly Garni opened a video rental store in San Clemente in the 80s and he said he was totally over it at the time. The rock star life that is. Dude was totally cool.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I need to give a shout out to two of my homeboys before I go start dumping gravel. Rikk Agnew and Mike Ness. Two local guitar heroes who have certainly earned they stripes.
You see, the Fender guitar was born right here in our neighborhood and inspired many of the kids to become guitar legends like Dick Dale. Rikk's sister Toni was super hot. Mike was cool but kind of a dick. RIP Dennis Danell and Steve Soto. You were the best of them.

Holy shit! I haven’t heard Amoeba in years. Thank you.

#114 4 years ago

So I was fortunate enough to see Zappa back in the 80s, then he was gone. So when Dweezil assembled his band Zappa Plays Zappa I was thrilled. From what I’ve read Dweezil woodshedded for over a year to get his chops like his pops. The first ZPZ show was at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago which is where I saw his dad play back in the 80’s. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house multiple times throughout the night but especially when he busted out Black Napkins. Is he his dad? Nope. But cheers to him to continue his dad’s vision.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Holy shit! I haven’t heard Amoeba in years. Thank you.

We were still in high school when the newly formed Social Distortion played in a living room party in Yorba Linda. They were mostly a cover band playing anything from The Cars to perhaps Van Halen.

I saw Mike at school on Monday and told him it was dope and where would they play next. He said "we haven't got anywhere to play". So a guy I worked with at the liquor store told me he was having a party and needed a band. So I set it up.

That night Amoeba was born with Mike Ness singing and playing guitar, Casey Royer on drums and both Agnews, Rikk and Frank whipping the crowd into a pogoing frenzy. I provided the beer kegs. You would never forget Amoeba after that night as they played it probably 10 times. They weren't a cover band any more.

I can take you to the black hole if you ever want to go there. But I can't find you Social D. playing Amoeba. I do however still have the flyer Mike drew up for the party.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We were still in high school when the newly formed Social Distortion played in a living room party in Yorba Linda. They were mostly a cover band playing anything from The Cars to perhaps Van Halen.
I saw Mike at school on Monday and told him it was dope and where would they play next. He said "we haven't got anywhere to play". So a guy I worked with at the liquor store told me he was having a party and needed a band. So I set it up.
That night Amoeba was born with Mike Ness singing and playing guitar, Casey Royer on drums and both Agnews, Rikk and Frank whipping the crown into a pogoing frenzy. I provided the beer kegs. You would never forget Amoeba after that night as they played it probably 10 times. They weren't a cover band any more.
I can take you to the black hole if you ever want to go there. But I can't find you Social D. playing Amoeba. I do however still have the flyer Mike drew up for the party.

Kick fuckin’ ass! Now that’s a cool story. Feel free to continue as my brushes with greatness are kind of underwhelming.

#117 4 years ago

You don't need a 20 minute solo to make a guitar sound good. 40+ years playing doesn't hurt though.

Edit- This song really hits home.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Feel free to continue as my brushes with greatness are kind of underwhelming.

Brushes with greatness. lol. Apparently I was their first manager, lost money on the beer, and deadbeat Mike Ness still owes me $5. Brushing with greatness. lol!

#119 4 years ago

I'll tell you brushing with greatness. Kelly Garni at the video store giving us free shwag. Movie posters to decorate our apartment and a full size Clint Eastwood Pale Rider we put near the kitchen. Doing research now, that man has lead a full life.

#120 4 years ago

I always liked Mick Ronson's far out style.

#121 4 years ago

Norwegian jazz legend Terje Rypdal:

#122 4 years ago

Since you say all musical genres are welcome, I'll add another: Knut Reiersrud, playing Norwegian folk music accompanied by a church organ:

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Edit- This song really hits home.

The pool hall isn't a 7-11 now. Don't know where he got that. It's a Del Taco. However the Carls Jr. is.

#124 4 years ago

For those who like the blues... Gary Moore with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers

#125 4 years ago

So many truly great guitarists have already been named in this thread.
I'd just like to add one of my favorites (more for his work with Jean-Luc Ponty than with Genesis or Phil Collins):
Daryl Stuermer

And thanks to any of you who have appreciated my sense of humor and up-voted one of my posts.
(I'm now at 2,505 posts on Pinside with 2,506 up-votes.)

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Alex Skolnick comes to mind, he quit metal for Jazz, then came back again

He's one of the first to come to my mind in a thread like this... the greatest instrumentalists are those who can make their instruments emote like no other. I love the solo on this cover song from the Alex Skolnick Trio.

This live version is a bit lacking in video and sound quality (solo starts at 4:40)

But the studio version has proper instrument balance and the guitar overlays make a bigger sound space (solo starts at 5:15)

#127 4 years ago

Another underrated guitarist, Greg Burgess (from Allegaeon) is another metal guitarist with classical guitar roots... both styles showcased in the same song.

And the full-length classical guitar outtake...

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I can take you to the black hole if you ever want to go there.

Now's as good a time as any.

#129 4 years ago

Wow! So many!! Here's a few that haven't been mentioned yet
Stryper - Incredible guitars, trading off and harmonizing solos

Dragonforce - Guitar Hero

IronBunny - Japanese

Primus - Les

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

So I was fortunate enough to see Zappa back in the 80s, then he was gone. So when Dweezil assembled his band Zappa Plays Zappa I was thrilled. From what I’ve read Dweezil woodshedded for over a year to get his chops like his pops. The first ZPZ show was at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago which is where I saw his dad play back in the 80’s. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house multiple times throughout the night but especially when he busted out Black Napkins. Is he his dad? Nope. But cheers to him to continue his dad’s vision.

He really played for his entire life for this gig - but you’re right. They -rehearsed- for 6 months. The key guys (especially Keneally) just had it down pat but not everyone is a superhero. Dweezil got way more than a little of his dad’s talent, and got WAY more coolness. He also turned out to be a cool everyday guy too. Must have been Gail’s influence, LOL!

Too bad the Ahmet gang has put a stop to future ZPZ shows and stolen half of Frank’s guitars that he left Dweez in his will.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Wow! So many!! Here's a few that haven't been mentioned yet
Stryper - Incredible guitars, trading off and harmonizing solos

Dragonforce - Guitar Hero

IronBunny - Japanese

Primus - Les

I have a buddy who’s in a touring band and is a HUGE KISS, Maiden, Metallica/Megadeth fan, and really is into Stryper! I knew about some of the Christian thrash bands (Vengeance, Tourniquet, etc) back in the day, but Stryper was hair metal.. or so I thought. On the last tour in between dates for his other job (long story), my buddy did a podcast about Stryper in the hotel room we were hanging out in, and I learned my lesson - they are pretty amazing musicians. Shocking!

#132 4 years ago

Yeah. Stryper doesn't get enough credit. Most only remember a few songs from the 80s. But they are still making awesome music today. Their last 3 albums, I think, are their best! New album should be coming soon!

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

David Gilmour by far

The thing about David is he makes such cool sounds without whippin' up a fret board frenzy and i will always remember seeing Floyd (sans Roger) in 88'. My bro, who is a moderately skilled guitar player, said to me after the gig "All that farken awesome guitar wailing and he has a fist full of sausages" a reference to the fact he hasn't got the usual thin guitar type fingers put kinda pudgy ones. The dudes gotta be in the top 5 i reckon...and he also plays a mean sax

#135 4 years ago

Another vote for Buck Dharma. Solo starts at 5:50

#136 4 years ago

Al Di Meola of Return To Forever fame.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Al Di Meola of Return To Forever fame.

Awesome every single time I hear this record. Parts of Mediterranean Sundance and Race with the Devil on Spanish Highway have been part of my guitar break in our set list for years

Also: the Texas band “Riot” has an AMAZING cover of Race with the Devil on one of their albums. Incredible cover

#138 4 years ago

Might not be one of the gods. But I saw him live years ago. He puts 100 plus into his live shows. When I saw him he had a mic, guitar, pre amp and speaker, that was all. And did an amazing show.

LTG : )

#139 4 years ago

I saw Utopia about the same time at the Greek. Early 80s. I loved how they all got up and rotated the instruments they were playing. Road to Utopia tour.

I was super lucky to be in the audience here at that same venue around the same time with Simon Phillips on drums.

On the west coast there really is nowhere quite like the Greek Theatre to see a live show.

#140 4 years ago

Someone who is also missing from the posts so far (i could just have bypassed it) is Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits, perhaps not a "guitar god" by some peoples standards but he is certainly gifted. For my mind, and others that have already mentioned in this thread, speed/dexterity of play is not the main criteria of a great player, it's the feel, the sound, the expression!! Mark is one of those players i think

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Someone who is also missing from the posts so far (i could just have bypassed it) is Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits, perhaps not a "guitar god" by some peoples standards but he is certainly gifted. For my mind, and others that have already mentioned in this thread, speed/dexterity of play is not the main criteria of a great player, it's the feel, the sound, the expression!! Mark is one of those players i think

I was never a big follower, but the Sultans of Swing solo is undeniably a beautiful piece. Money for Nothing's opening lick is one of the greatest guitar opening hooks as well.

#142 4 years ago

I'd be amiss if I didn't include Steve Rothery of Marillion and what I refer to as his "mournful" guitar. Brings back lots of childhood memories and emotions I get from his arrangements and sound. This is "Chelsea Monday", you can skip to the 2:00 mark for his solo if desired...

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

I'd be amiss if I didn't include Steve Rothery of Marillion and what I refer to as his "mournful" guitar. Brings back lots of childhood memories and emotions I get from his arrangements and sound. This is "Chelsea Monday", you can skip to the 2:00 mark for his solo if desired...

Easter FTW! (Yeah I know it’s not a Fish song)

#144 4 years ago

My current fave Tosin Abasi. If you are a slave to 4/4 time, don't click!

#145 4 years ago

I don't think I missed it, but seeing many great performers above, going to add some live Micheal Schenker

#146 4 years ago

Same idea, but his successor in UFO, Paul Chapman. Big shoes to fill, and handled well I think

#147 4 years ago

Seriously, Mick Box, Ken Hensley, Trevor Bolder working together on this one! With some help from singer John Lawton

#148 4 years ago

Hughes and Bolin (again filling large shoes), great track

#149 4 years ago

Not sure if he has been mentioned yet, John Cipollina (Quicksilver Messenger Service) #32 of RS top 100 guitarists of all time.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Seriously, Mick Box, Ken Hensley, Trevor Bolder working together on this one! With some help from singer John Lawton

One of my favorite songs. Love Uriah Heep

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-your-favorite-guitar-god-performances-all-musical-genres-welcome/page/3?hl=eagle18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.