4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dr-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago

Jeff Beck

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Can you guys tell me how to post something from YouTube.

Youtube probable has a short how to video.

Go to Youtube and find the video you like. Start playing it then stop. Left click the address bar on your browser to highlight the link. Then right click and select copy and left click on that.

Then go to Pinside. On a reply like this. Left click once. Hit paste. Ta Da. Link is on the reply.

LTG : )

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Can you guys tell me how to post something from YouTube.

#54 4 years ago

For just plain fun in front of 60,000 people, nothing beats Angus.

#55 4 years ago

Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Still gives me the chills after all these years. Perfection.

#57 4 years ago

Jams start at 4:00

#58 4 years ago

Zappa was definitely a top axeman.

Here's the man that invented aggressive feedback.

#59 4 years ago

And then there’s this alien

#60 4 years ago

Robin fn Trower

Love the comment-
"like fine bourbon...Trower just gets smoother and finer with age."

#61 4 years ago

Jimi blowing minds at Berkley.

#62 4 years ago

Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, Duane Allman...

#63 4 years ago

Can't believe no one has mentioned KK Downing and Glen Tipton. Metal AND Guitar Gods.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Can't believe no one has mentioned KK Downing and Glen Tipton. Metal AND Guitar Gods.

I was saving that. This is basically a rehearsal in New York for our show at the Hollywood Starwood.

And RIP Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, Duane Allman, and the rest

#65 4 years ago

When I saw Rory Gallagher perform live in the very late 70s or early 80s, an up and coming guitar wiz opened up for him. But there was no topping Rory that night.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

The guitarists you mentioned are pretty good. But to say they are gods and Big B is a clown? Just doesn’t make any sense... and I also take it you don’t play an instrument, specifically-guitar/bass/banjo- which explains your attitude and lack of knowledge.
Sure, Brian is weird and his shows are unconventional to say the least- but to deny his speed and technical ability and emotion- you come off as close minded and idiotic.
Maybe you don’t enjoy his music? That’s fine.
Anyone who is top 10 in the world is a god in my book..

I've been playing guitar for over 40 years, sonny. To compare Buckethead to the top 10 in the world, greats like Jimi Hendrix, BB King, and Eddie Van Halen is ludicrous. To my knowledge Buckethead hasn't cracked the top 100 on any ligit ranking.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Al, Paco, John. Oh Lord, these guys are on a different planet. I saw these guys in the 80s when I was in my full punk rock stage with mohawk and Doc Martens on. Fucking amazing.

Thank you for this! Friday night in San Francisco is still one of
My all time favorites

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was saving that. This is basically a rehearsal in New York for our show at the Hollywood Starwood.
And RIP Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, Duane Allman, and the rest

I just listened to that whole
Show. DAMN that takes me back!

I have never heard a single bootleg where Priest did not sound fantastic. The guitar solos are on point, the rhythm section is tight as hell, and Rob sings BETTER here than on most of the recordings

#69 4 years ago

He killed it this entire show. I think this is from the 30th anniversary of British Steel dvd. Sick.

Watch "Incredible K.K. Downing Solo" on YouTube

#70 4 years ago

I think if Randy Rhodes didn't pass at such a young age he truly would have revolutionary. His mother was a teacher and inspired him to do the same. He would get a newspaper in whatever city he was in and give or receive lessons during the day. He wanted to quit Ozzy after the tour and focus on teaching and playing classical guitar. He didn't even want to be a rock star even though he was one of the best. How many musicians get the gig by just warming up/tuning his guitar? Randy did.

#71 4 years ago

I think Nuno Bettencourt is so underrated. When this was first released everyone I know thought it was sped up on the record.

#72 4 years ago

Steve Via is just great. So much emotion. Not my favorite but right up there. Skip to the 3:00 mark.

#73 4 years ago

Finally my favorite player of all time. This guy is just incredible. John Petrucci definitely is a guitar god.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Speaking of..... the ending guitar solos on Aerosmith’s Train Kept a Rollin’

They just walked into to the studio and winged that off the top of their head. Unbelievable.

I think maybe that’s a one-off performance for the ages that will never be replicated. I looked at some videos of Aerosmith live concerts and when they play this song the ending is always a mishmash of awful screeching noise.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I've been playing guitar for over 40 years, sonny. To compare Buckethead to the top 10 in the world, greats like Jimi Hendrix, BB King, and Eddie Van Halen is ludicrous. To my knowledge Buckethead hasn't cracked the top 100 on any ligit ranking.

But do you really play? Owning a guitar for 40 years doesn’t count, old timer.

Well, educate yourself... You bring up “main stream” guitarist-
Just because you don’t hear someone on the radio or see him or her on MTV really has no bearing. I sense a great deal of ignorance from you.

We all know and most/love Jimi Hendrix but from a technical standpoint- Brian runs laps around him.. Not just technicality and playability, Buckethead is so versatile and fast it’s inhuman... It’s God like.

#77 4 years ago

“Among God's creations, two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes in order not to be seperated from the man. -Andres Segovia”

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Just because you don’t hear someone on the radio or see him or her on MTV really has no bearing. I sense a great deal of ignorance for you.

We all know and most/love Jimi Hendrix but from a technical standpoint- Brian runs laps around him.. Not just technicality and playability, Buckethead is so versatile and fast it’s inhuman... It’s God like.

DUDE this isn't a popularity contest nor an "i know who's the best ever guitarist" contest. Music is and always will be in the eye (or more to the point ears) of the beholder and always subjective and personal. If someone doesn't agree with your choice then, that's cool, move on and find someone who does agree with your choices. Calling someone out cause they don't agree with what you like and making assumptions about their knowledge or lack of serves no purpose to anyone. Just enjoy what you like and wash yourself in great tunes, that's the core of music man!!!

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

I think Nuno Bettencourt is so underrated.

Was also once married to Suzi Demarchi who is totally awesome in concert!! Great Aussie band Baby Animals

#80 4 years ago

Paul Gilbert

Carlos Santana

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Just because you don’t hear someone on the radio or see him or her on MTV really has no bearing. I sense a great deal of ignorance for you.

Yes, I have played all this time. I currently play in two church choirs, and my brother in law and I are in the process of forming a band now, so I play with others about 4 times a week.

The top well known guitarists are better for many other reasons than just speed. They have technique, composition, complexity, innovation, and other guitar skillsets. A lot of amatuers are lighting fast with sweeps and such and will never see their names in a top 100 list. Buckethead is one of them. My opinion is my own, but shared by many. Almost every guitarist already mentioned is this thread is better.

A little lightning from Al DiMeola

#82 4 years ago

Hey dude. It does seem like a popularity contest to both of you, by comparing the most popular “main stream” guitarists to some very unknown ones.

I don’t call people out. The comment wayout made was rude and innapropriate, but hey, “opinions” I tried to enlighten and share some information.

Last I read he was one of the top 10 fastest players in the world. But new blood is always on the rise. Speed is only a small part of his actual repertoire. Personally, I enjoy his slower stuff.

Perhaps if he stayed with GnR or if he lost the outfit and joined Ozzy he’d be one of the cool kids

#83 4 years ago

Wow, some awesome talent here across many genres! I would add Alvin Lee shredding “I’m Going Home” if I was better at posting stuff here

#84 4 years ago

So many great guitarists. For me, Dave Mustaine is my favorite because how many guys can sing lead vocals and play rhythm and lead guitar? Plus metal fuckin rules!!

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Hey dude. It does seem like a popularity contest to both of you, by comparing the most popular “main stream” guitarists to some very unknown ones.
I don’t call people out. The comment wayout made was rude and innapropriate, but hey, “opinions” I tried to enlighten and share some information.
Last I read he was one of the top 10 fastest players in the world. But new blood is always on the rise... Personally, I enjoy his slower stuff.

I just call it like I see it. Most folks are posting genuinely good guitarists, whether I like them or not. Buckethead is simply not one of them imo.

#86 4 years ago

You may all laugh at me or send me 'best wishes' but I still say no modern guitarist can beat Chet Atkins (1924-2001)
Same goes fur Drummer Buddy Rich.

#87 4 years ago

The Ox
oops, this was supposed
to have the picture from post #44

#88 4 years ago

Gary Clark Jr.

The finale solo melts my face everytime.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

You may all laugh at me or send me 'best wishes' but I still say no modern guitarist can beat Chet Atkins (1924-2001)
Same goes fur Drummer Buddy Rich.

Chet Atkins is the gold standard of guitar playing to me. He never overplayed and each note was just the right note for whatever song he was playing. Pure genius..

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

Gary Clark Jr.

The mid solo melts my face everytime.

#91 4 years ago

Pete Townsend for the win.

#94 4 years ago

#95 4 years ago

#96 4 years ago

#97 4 years ago

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I just listened to that whole
Show. DAMN that takes me back!
I have never heard a single bootleg where Priest did not sound fantastic.

The bootleg of the Starwood show is pretty rough which is why I posted that one instead. Les Binks was the man on drums.

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I think if Randy Rhodes didn't pass at such a young age he truly would have revolutionary.

Randy played at our high school with his band Quiot Riot and yes he was pretty darn good.

I was lucky to see quite a few guitar gods from Jimmy Page with Led Zeppelin to Jeff Beck on his There and Back tour. And even a little known guitarist at the time named Brian Setzer.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Brian Setzer.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

guitar gods from Jimmy Page with Led Zeppelin

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-your-favorite-guitar-god-performances-all-musical-genres-welcome/page/2?hl=oshara and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.