Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ullman-d2-screw-starter-3 (resized).jpg
    20171105_002032 (resized).jpg
    1509474088811-1903405921 (resized).jpg
    box (resized).jpg
    CM-0000001W4L-Product-VIS1402L3-1200Wx1200H (resized).jpg
    03473941000.jpg
    SledgeHammer.jpg
    tool1.jpg
    tool0.jpg
    LED-Lighted-Reading-Glasses-1_50-Torto.jpg
    gritgitter_008.jpg
    518AbJqXTGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    PICK-UP%20TOOL-36.jpg
    gritgitter_003.jpg
    socket_set.gif
    Microfiber-Cloth-Towel-4041-.jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

Man i was told about this stuff by Ssarthe and damn this stuff will take all the tar or whatever off plastics and ramps and make them look like new within seconds on it hitting the surface.

My totan ramps were dark and grimy and almost ordered some new ones til i was told about this.

I picked a can up at the local fastenal for $4.99

what is your fav tool for a shop job?

unnamed.jpgunnamed.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Its gotta be Novus 2 for me.

#3 12 years ago

These are my 2 favorite and essential items when working on a flipper game.

images.jpgimages.jpg Music.jpgMusic.jpg

#4 12 years ago

I'm always dropping crap, so I guess my favorite tool would be my Ullman telescoping lighted magnetic pickup tool ...

Ullman_HTLP-2.jpgUllman_HTLP-2.jpg

#5 12 years ago

I don't know about my favorite but this has made it very simple & quick to adjust the leaf switches. I'm glad I have it. Well guess I will have to add yet another thread to the favorites. Good idea for a useful topic dvandentop!

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518&parent=0

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from v8torino:

These are my 2 favorite and essential items when working on a flipper game.

Attachments Music.jpg (36.8 KB, 0 downloads) 16 minutes old images.jpg (7.3 KB, 0 downloads) 16 minutes old

those are both great as well!

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

but this has made it very simple & quick to adjust the leaf switches.

+1 on that TDA!!!
    Ever since I got LOTR my Balrog switch always gave me grief. It was either too sensitive or not sensitive enough! As soon as PBL brought out that sweet tool, ulat.jpgulat.jpg

my Balrog- and everything since then have been "coming up Milhouse!!!"
    Thanks Terry!

#8 12 years ago

Really though,I like my trusty little pocket screwdriver with a magnet on the other end,I usually have brews when playing and not so much when I am working on the machine.

#9 12 years ago

My tumbler. It works while I sleep.

#10 12 years ago

The number 1 tool that trumps all the others......

hand.jpghand.jpg

#11 12 years ago

I will 3rd of fourth the pinball life leaf adjustment tool!

Some other odd items that come in handy:

- Thick screw extractor for removing stubborn coils sleeves
    - Plunger rubber tip for removing light bulb that your fingers can't
    - Freeze Spray for removing Mylar
    - Goo Gone and old Credit Card for removing glue residue
    - Telescoping Magnet tools for the many screws you will drop and for removing parts from the tumbler
    - Q-Tips!!

If I may post something a little more obvious, these will save you tons of time:

A good quality Soldring Iron - Throw away the Rat Shack one and buy a Weller as soon as you can
    Cordless screw drivers, drill
    Tumbler
    Rotisserie
    Ratcheting Wire Stripper

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

Attachments hand.jpg (66.9 KB, 0 downloads)

That's a good one, jrrdw, but they are not going anywhere without the Brain!

#13 12 years ago

+1 on the switch adjuster. Such a simple tool and it saves so many headaches.

Since I have a severe tool hording problem I cant really place a tool at the top of my list, so Ill go with what I reach for most.

1. Klein Magnetic tip, hollow (long) shaft nut drivers.

647m.jpg647m.jpg

2. DeWALT 12V MAX Cordless screwdriver. I use the locking magnetic nut driver kit from Milwaukee with this. It's light and it has a light, helps with the carpal tunnel and tired eyes.

dw1.jpgdw1.jpg

dw-2.jpgdw-2.jpg

3. Ravco Rubber Grommet insertion tool. (ya I know, insert joke here) I don't get to use this tool that often, but I'm always happy I spent the money on it when it comes time to use it.

ravco.jpgravco.jpg

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from Espo66:

That's a good one, jrrdw, but they are not going anywhere without the Brain!

So true!

#15 12 years ago

Besides my Dewalt and other tools - buying a rolling cart has saved me tons of time walking around back and forth to where I keep my other tools - although this isnt exactly what I have its similar. I keep all the basics on there, including bulbs rubbers etc. Its like going into surgery when I roll this thing out.

0c925a6c-431a-4a2b-8630-40fe146545dd_4.jpg0c925a6c-431a-4a2b-8630-40fe146545dd_4.jpg

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

1. Klein Magnetic tip, hollow (long) shaft nut drivers.

My only problem with these is sometimes long thread screws won't fit in the throat making them useless. I'm thinking of drilling them out to correct this problem.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from Kane:

My only problem with these is sometimes long thread screws won't fit in the throat making them useless. I'm thinking of drilling them out to correct this problem.

This is true, but for working under the playfield you cant beat them. I have another set of the regular non magnetic klein's for that.

#18 12 years ago

Superclean nothing else I have found comes close for cleaning everything but painted surfaces. Boards, wiring harness, plastics, ramps...its the bomb!

superclean.pngsuperclean.png

#19 12 years ago

Oh yeah, $8/gallon from Walmart and don't forget to wear gloves if you try it.

#20 12 years ago

Superclean nothing else I have found comes close for cleaning everything but painted surfaces. Boards, wiring harness, plastics, ramps...its the bomb!

How does it compare to bleche white? I like that its in a pour-able container.

BW_.jpgBW_.jpg

#21 12 years ago

I use it as spray and soak/pour. I have not tried bleche-white

If someone does let me know but this one came reccomended by a local High-End restorer.

#22 12 years ago

bleche-white is at walmart in the automotive section. Its pretty widely used by pinheads.

#23 12 years ago

I would say a set of midget wrenches from craftsman. They run 20 bucks and are my go to tool.

#24 12 years ago

I'll second the Klein nut drivers. Very nice! Other than that, my telescoping magnet.

2 months later
    #25 12 years ago

Something I think is very useful:

P/N: 9-44778 Craftsman Ignition Wrench Set.

Robert

00944778000-1.jpg00944778000-1.jpg

#26 12 years ago

Hey,

I don't know if this is a shop-out tool, but I bought one of these beasts a month or two ago:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky-18-inch-large-mouth-bag/958848

Basically, a big ol' tool bag with a ton of pockets. I shoved almost EVERYTHING in there (I guess I'll have to do some shuffling to fit my multimeter in there, but it could probably be done). Tools, fuses, rubber rings, switches; I think I have 27 balls in there. There is something to be said for having all the tools and gadgets you need in one place when you need them, whether that's for shopping a machine or going to look at a machine that's for sale.

Luke

#27 12 years ago

This is a very helpful thread - maybe moderator could make it a sticky? To go along with the Pinball Parts Supplier thread?

41usgrOlMWL_SL500_AA300_.jpg41usgrOlMWL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

#28 12 years ago

A couple of other useful tools...magnetic stick and mirror-on-a-stick:

tele_mirror.jpgtele_mirror.jpg pickup_tool.jpgpickup_tool.jpg

#30 12 years ago

Some of these,,,can't shop any pin without em!

Microfiber-Cloth-Towel-4041-.jpgMicrofiber-Cloth-Towel-4041-.jpg

#31 12 years ago

A 1/4 drive socket set, with both normal and deep sockets and a screw driver handle. I have set 9-34900, which is discontinued.

This one is somilar, except I got a plastic case with mine. I suggest that any 1/4 drive set you get, get one with a case.

socket_set.gifsocket_set.gif

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from pintastic:

I'll second the Klein nut drivers. Very nice! Other than that, my telescoping magnet.

I'll triple this one. Best investment I ever made. Long enough to reach anywhere, magnetic, large hollow shaft. They've saved me days worth of work, not hours.

#33 12 years ago

Not so much a shopping out tool but one for routine maintenance.
    The wife had 12 of these skewers, now she has 6, every pinhead that sees it wants it.
    You pull the tubing back and put a small rag on the hook and pull it back over the hook.
    It bends to go around corners and the wire is stiff enough to apply some pressure.

gritgitter_003.jpggritgitter_003.jpg

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

every pinhead that sees it wants it.

+1. Count me in!

#35 12 years ago

That tool is on my top ten most used tool list, gotta keep that magic dust picked up.
    The skewer is 18" long and the tubing is for a medical suction pump.
    I played with different tubing but this stuff compresses and has a surgical rubber molded hood.
    You can make two out of each piece of hose.

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

The_Dude_Abides said:but this has made it very simple & quick to adjust the leaf switches.

+1 on that TDA!!!
    Ever since I got LOTR my Balrog switch always gave me grief. It was either too sensitive or not sensitive enough! As soon as PBL brought out that sweet tool,
    my Balrog- and everything since then have been "coming up Milhouse!!!"
    Thanks Terry!

Attachments ulat.jpg (9.8 KB, 0 downloads) 2 months old

Glad to hear this, as I just ordered one of these yesterday

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

Attachments
    hand.jpg (66.9 KB, 0 downloads) 2 months old

True

Without these you cannot use any others.

#38 12 years ago

For dragging a cloth around to clean, I use somthihing like this.

Robert

PICK-UP%20TOOL-36.jpgPICK-UP%20TOOL-36.jpg

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from pintastic:

Klein nut drivers

The nut drivers aare one of the two things I have in my hand. The microfiber towels run right with them though. Just bought a new pack of 24 at OReilys auto parts for less than $20 with a bottle of bleach white. They are both just a shade cheaper at Walmart but Walmart onlt as the towels in two colors, White and blue. I got the brite ones that are three colors that I can find easier.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

For dragging a cloth around to clean, I use somthihing like this.
    Robert

Attachments PICK-UP%20TOOL-36.jpg (42.2 KB, 0 downloads) 1 hour old

I have one of these also but it isn't shielded and I don't want to take the chance of scratching the PF or plastics.
    Also, it isn't stiff enough to apply any pressure to the ball tracks.

#41 12 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-9416NA-Finishing-Sander/dp/B00004Z4DK/ref=sr_1_1

These are a must have for quick regraining metal items

518AbJqXTGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg518AbJqXTGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

#42 12 years ago

Yes, it doesn't apply much force, but a rag wrapped around it get's into very tight places that a hand can't and works well for me. I do make sure that the metal end part that can gouge is covered.

I don't have the stiffer unit, but can see how that would be useful too; depending on the application.

Robert

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Not so much a shopping out tool but one for routine maintenance.
    The wife had 12 of these skewers, now she has 6, every pinhead that sees it wants it.
    You pull the tubing back and put a small rag on the hook and pull it back over the hook.
    It bends to go around corners and the wire is stiff enough to apply some pressure.

Attachments gritgitter_003.jpg (76.7 KB, 1 downloads) 22 hours old

Can you provide some more information on this? What is the exact product that was used to make this and where can it be bought?

#44 12 years ago

tracelifter said:Not so much a shopping out tool but one for routine maintenance.
    Can you provide some more information on this? What is the exact product that was used to make this and where can it be bought?

The rod is a 18" skewer for making shish ka bobs and the hose can be bought from med supply.
    It is a vacuum hose for a suction machine.
    It has the female rubber molded on each end so you can make two out of each hose.
    Slide the hose over the skewer and bend a hook in it.
    Here is another pic.

gritgitter_008.jpggritgitter_008.jpg

#45 12 years ago

Thanks Trace!

1 week later
    #46 12 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

tracelifter said:Not so much a shopping out tool but one for routine maintenance.

The rod is a 18" skewer for making shish ka bobs and the hose can be bought from med supply.
    It is a vacuum hose for a suction machine.
    It has the female rubber molded on each end so you can make two out of each hose.
    Slide the hose over the skewer and bend a hook in it.
    Here is another pic.

Attachments gritgitter_008.jpg (136.6 KB, 0 downloads) 1 week old

Eric sent me one of these to try, and I can't believe how well this works! He wasn't kidding when he said every pinhead who sees it wants one. These things would sell like hot cakes!

#47 12 years ago

I've found these "Foster Grant Light Specs" mangifying glasses with built in LED lights to be indispensable. As a plus, you could also use them to DJ at a rave.

LED-Lighted-Reading-Glasses-1_50-Torto.jpgLED-Lighted-Reading-Glasses-1_50-Torto.jpg

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

Attachments hand.jpg (66.9 KB, 0 downloads) 2 months old

Excellent! The above are a must!

#49 12 years ago

Two of my most-used tools:

tool0.jpgtool0.jpg tool1.jpgtool1.jpg

#50 12 years ago

Always handy

SledgeHammer.jpgSledgeHammer.jpg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-up-your-ultimate-shopping-out-a-pin-tool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.