stern-code-st-steve-wherethecode.jpg
stern-code-star-trek-klingon-wheresthecode.jpg
003.JPG
004.JPG
image.jpg
image-502.jpg
image-240.jpg
CAM00024.jpg
There are 664 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from dphelps:

What do I do to correct it, just reseat the opto connector?

Try reseating the connector. If that doesn't solve the problem, you should reflow the solder.

#152 9 years ago

I think someone said Iron Man VE has an improved connector? It's an annoying issue for sure.

#153 9 years ago

I was playing Klingon Multiball today, and I shot the Vengeance which was lit for a jackpot. The ball just went in and came right back out. Isn't the drop target supposed to grab it?

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think someone said Iron Man VE has an improved connector? It's an annoying issue for sure.

So does my Star Trek, manufactured in June. They must have started putting them in recently.

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

So does my Star Trek, manufactured in June. They must have started putting them in recently.

Can you take a picture. I'd like to see what they changed and if I have it.

#156 9 years ago

I just found another bug. During victory laps, I hit enough warp ramps to light the extra ball. When I shot the ball up the middle, the ball bounced in and out of the lane without the extra ball being collected. I tried this several times, and each time I got the same result. I was not able to collect the extra ball until victory laps ended.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I was playing Klingon Multiball today, and I shot the Vengeance which was lit for a jackpot. The ball just went in and came right back out. Isn't the drop target supposed to grab it?

There Are problems with the Optos seeing the ball at times and what you are describing and other strange things are
Going on with the vengeance I have seen this and also when an extra ball is lit and it is also causing the ball to stick together for vengeance mb

#158 9 years ago

After getting multiple tilt warnings trying to save an errant ball, the new tilt warning speeches cut across each other with the second one starting before the first one has even finished speaking.

Don't know for sure if this is new to the 1.5 code, but I haven't noticed it before.

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Can you take a picture. I'd like to see what they changed and if I have it.

Here, check this thread out:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-has-addressed-the-trough-opto-connector-issue

#160 9 years ago

I had company over and wasn't on the table when it started but a player pointed out my STLE started kicking out 2 balls and also started auto launching all balls for all players. I then played a single player game and it continued to auto launch but wasn't feeding 2 balls. I reset the game and it went back to normal. Sorry I cant give more details but will watch for a repeat.

#161 9 years ago

Not a software bug but it bugs the sh!t out of me. I have now had 3 bad led boards. Stern replaced one that was the 3 bank stand up on the right. 2 others have had a bad solder on the led chip so the red got flakey and were intermittent or out. Both board were the ones under the outside loop insert. I called Stern who helped me track it down but would replace them because its past 90 days. I find it hard to believe this is an isolated case. Honestly this is my LAST Stern.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I had company over and wasn't on the table when it started but a player pointed out my STLE started kicking out 2 balls and also started auto launching all balls for all players. I then played a single player game and it continued to auto launch but wasn't feeding 2 balls. I reset the game and it went back to normal. Sorry I cant give more details but will watch for a repeat.

Reseat the two connectors to the ball trough with the power off. With practically every game having shakers (and I think the upgraded slingers too?), game shakes and connector comes loose. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. Now you know the fix, and it'll be a 45 sec fix for any of your sterns in the future. My acdc standup targets did this too (3 times) in the 1 1/2 years owning it.

EDIT: oh and it's good to know stern finally addressed this issue so we'll see a lot less of this problem moving forward.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Reseat the two connectors to the ball trough with the power off. With practically every game having shakers (and I think the upgraded slingers too?), game shakes and connector comes loose. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. Now you know the fix, and it'll be a 45 sec fix for any of your sterns in the future. My acdc standup targets did this too (3 times) in the 1 1/2 years owning it.

Thanks, after reading/following this thread is was going to try this. My AC/DC has had flakey drop targets since day 1. The N in TNT drops and now a couple in the AC/DC drops along with a couple bad LED boards out of the box. Just a bit frustrating. I cant see these lasting like my B/Ws

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ask and you shall receive:
we will come up with a family version. It may be included in the next release, but basic operation code needs to be fixed first. Thanks.

Awesome!

Loving the new code on my LE. Such a great update!!!

#165 9 years ago

I have a strange problem with the LED under the Space Jump mission. In single lamp test it shows the White/Blue/Green/Red test correctly but in game it stays green when Space Jump mission is active. It should be Yellow, the color for Space Jump. Also when the game is finished it shows a wrong color when the light shows goes on.

I already send an email to the reseller for a new LED board but was wondering if it's not a software issue ?

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

I have a strange problem with the LED under the Space Jump mission. In single lamp test it shows the White/Blue/Green/Red test correctly but in game it stays green when Space Jump mission is active. It should be Yellow, the color for Space Jump. Also when the game is finished it shows a wrong color when the light shows goes on.
I already send an email to the reseller for a new LED board but was wondering if it's not a software issue ?

It seems there is an issue with the red going out in the leds. That might account for it. Good luck

#167 9 years ago

Another (very) minor bug: When completing all three levels of a mission, the DMD says '3 columns completed', while the call out says 'three in a row'. ...row vs column. ...too picky?

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Another (very) minor bug: When completing all three levels of a mission, the DMD says '3 columns completed', while the call out says 'three in a row'. ...row vs column. ...too picky?

Does it say "3 columns completed" or simply "column completed?" Should be the latter, but I didn't pay attention to the dots. I'm fine with the call out remaining "three in a row."

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Does it say "3 columns completed" or simply "column completed?"

Gosh, I think you're right. 'Column completed' ....my bad. And yeah, it's pretty nick-picky, I admit that. I guess I'm just not that good at finding bugs.

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Oh yeah. It's been increased. Got it today, and was pleased with the pay-off. Definitely Picard it for your 2x value.
My biggest gripe is still that the 2x shot value from finishing a Level 3 Mission doesn't work correctly -- with or without a combo 2x in play.
Today, after DTD Level 3 finished, on the next ball, I shot a warp ramp straight up (no combo, no mode or anything else running) and it only scored 250K for the first shot.

Well, I guess I should read the code revision note from Steve Ritchie more thoroughly.... it says: <<“Drilling Down” a Mission through Tiers I, II, and III now awards “3 in a row” with new dots, and, the appropriate shot awards Double Score for the remainder of the game in all Missions and Wizard Modes. >>

To highlight the important part I missed: " ... all Missions and Wizard Modes." Not Super modes, warp ramp scoring (250K, 500K, 1M, 1M), or multiball scoring. Just Missions and Wizard Modes.

I don't know if I agree with that constraint, but can anyone confirm that the Mission shot and Wizard Mode shot values are indeed doubled for remainder of game??

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Here's a possible bug I noticed...I think it's just a text bug, though. During Nero 2, when you kill all 3 Romulans before another jumps in, it says " Bonus Jackpot 0". I think if they just remove that "0", we'd be OK.

I just saw this "bonus jackpot 0" tonight. I was playing Nero 2 and Vengeance became lit. When this happens, the Vengeance mode seems to clobber everything by putting "shoot the vengeance" on the screen, playing the vengeance ready music and I'm not sure it shows anything else. I could not tell where the nero 2 mode was so I shot the spinner, saw the bonus jackpot 0 message and promptly drained. I think there should maybe be a callout saying shoot the vengeance, but if you are in a mission it should not be changing that music or display animations until the mission is over. It's like the game is saying 'ok forget whatever you were doing, the vengeance is ready so shoot that'.

Also with Nero 2, I don't understand why the shots change around like they do. I complete right side shots and they stay off for a while, but then they come back on. Does this add back to the shots needed to complete or what? Maybe this happens in other missions.. I need to play it more.

If there are names for the combos, there needs to be callouts for that otherwise the player is just going to miss them.

Playing some more tonight:

The 'shoot the vengeance' display is way unnecessarily intrusive.

The display font for the end of ball bonus multiplier count is too thin (wrong font?) compared to everything else.

Shooting away team with one shot left does.... nothing??

Away Team start new mission. Not doing anything makes the mission auto select after about 10-15 seconds and start counting down the timer with the ball still in the shooter lane. It does not auto launch.

Lit shots changing around (seemingly) random on missions. Makes no sense and kills the need for strategy. Perhaps there are unique rules for these shots?

Many callouts can be completely drowned out by sound effects. Nero 'hello christopher, I'm nero' is a great example.

Jet bumpers stating 'level #' complete. Ok good, tell me what the next level does at the same time please. Lots of room on the dmd for that extra info.

Rob

#172 9 years ago

400,000 starting points and only 5 thousand point increments on Galactic Lane shots?! The increments on the regular prime directive shots are WAY better (even though starting value is 100,000) and you can also combo the values for much higher points. Galactic Lanes needs to be worth more and have higher increments.

I have not played much of the other galactic modes, but since you are losing the ability to combo shots, the points better be darn well worth it or what's the point of going for it?

Rob

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I have not played much of the other galactic modes, but since you are losing the ability to combo shots, the points better be darn well worth it or what's the point of going for it?

You raise a good point about the points ...

#174 9 years ago

I haven't read through the thread but the TILT warnings get lost in the callout queue and you have no idea where you are. Heck, I don't even know what it's suppose to sound like. A klingon swearing at you?

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Twice in one game I had locks lit, and hit the ball up cleanly into the Vengeance shot, and the ball went up in, and rolled back out, with no response. On my third try the drop popped up and I got the lock. Maybe it's the code that keeps the drop from shooting up too fast (that used to happen to me, would go up so quick it would launch the ball into the air instead of letting it pass).

This happened to me three times in a row on Galactic Vengeance. Old code was perfect catching Vengeance shots. Grrrrr.

#176 9 years ago

They need to allow you to skip the end of ball stuff by pressing both flipper buttons.

#177 9 years ago

I'm thinking the away team shot should either turn off for 'one shot remaining' on level one missions or restart the timer in order to play the galactic mode.

Rob

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

400,000 starting points and only 5 thousand point increments on Galactic Lane shots?! The increments on the regular prime directive shots are WAY better (even though starting value is 100,000) and you can also combo the values for much higher points. Galactic Lanes needs to be worth more and have higher increments.
Rob

I do agree some of the galactic mode points need to be tweaked into the positive. But I have had galactic lanes up to 750k and there's another use for galactic lanes whereas loop shots set up warp shots while using the lanes to increase points value. So I typically go for PD and galactic lanes early so I can get to warp 8 or so quickly and setup a double scoring attempt on my next mode/mb

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I'm thinking the away team shot should either turn off for 'one shot remaining' on level one missions or restart the timer in order to play the galactic mode.
Rob

I would like to see this as a 3 second grace period after time runs out. After that, void galactic mode. It would be nice to see prime directive 2&3 tweaked to add time on successful shots. Nothing worse than being punished for doing good and having to repeat modes over and over.

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This happened to me tonight, but under different circumstances. I shot the vengeance to lock a ball, but it didn't lock and fell back down like nothing happened.

Rob

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I would like to see this as a 3 second grace period after time runs out. After that, void galactic mode. It would be nice to see prime directive 2&3 tweaked to add time on successful shots. Nothing worse than being punished for doing good and having to repeat modes over and over.

I'll post additional thoughts as I play my game more. I have only had it a few days (built june 2014) and bought NIB. I really hope the bugs get cleaned up and we see a few more additions to gameplay, but without a 6 month wait.

Rob

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

I'd suggest posts on Galactic modes/scoring use the separate thread on Galactic modes. The level of scoring isn't really a bug.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I'd suggest posts on Galactic modes/scoring use the separate thread on Galactic modes. The level of scoring isn't really a bug.

No, but the measly 5000 increment might be....

Rob

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

No, but the measly 5000 increment might be....
Rob

True. And by the way, I agree with your assessment of Galactic mode scoring -- outside of DTD and KB.

#185 9 years ago

During Kobayashi Maru MB, the kickback arrow does not light.

#186 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

During Kobayashi Maru MB, the kickback arrow does not light.

I think that's intentional. Think of it like the kobayashi Maru, a test designed for you to fail. So not knowing if you have a kickback or not makes the pressure build up more as you progress through the mode. I like it.

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think that's intentional. Think of it like the kobayashi Maru, a test designed for you to fail. So not knowing if you have a kickback or not makes the pressure build up more as you progress through the mode. I like it.

It seems like you shouldn't even be allowed to finish Kobayashi Maru without rewriting the code yourself. After all, that's what Kirk did.

#188 9 years ago

Playing a game just now and had multiball going with Prime 1. The balls drained except for one when I shot away team. The timer might have just been expiring or expired and it said 'Galactic Lanes Lit', except they were not lit and the mission ended instead.

Rob

#189 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Playing a game just now and had multiball going with Prime 1. The balls drained except for one when I shot away team. The timer might have just been expiring or expired and it said 'Galactic Lanes Lit', except they were not lit and the mission ended instead.
Rob

I've seen this too and been meanin to post here. If you hit away team just as time expires, it'll award with the galactic lanes call out but will not start it just as you mentioned.

#190 9 years ago

Found another bug...
If the ball saver is on and you lose the ball. A new ball is put into the shooter lane and auto plunged. If the ball isn't properly kicked out of the trough (i.e. doesn't make it into the shooter lane) the auto plunger still fires. Eventually a ball is kicked out again and auto plunged.
I believe that the auto plunger shouldn't go off unless the shooter lane switch is closed.

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Found another bug...
If the ball saver is on and you lose the ball. A new ball is put into the shooter lane and auto plunged. If the ball isn't properly kicked out of the trough (i.e. doesn't make it into the shooter lane) the auto plunger still fires. Eventually a ball is kicked out again and auto plunged.
I believe that the auto plunger shouldn't go off unless the shooter lane switch is closed.

There's a lot of bugs in the base code of Stern games in regards to ball save/search/launch. What you describe may happen in other games too.

Rob

#192 9 years ago

I played tonight and during Klingon multiball, 2 balls got stuck in the left outlane because the lane wire had popped out and was blocking the path. So I pulled the glass off and put the balls in the shooter lane with the coin door open. The game doesn't realize the coin door is open (high voltage off) and keeps trying to launch the balls, making the launch sound repeatedly in the process. So to stop that annoyance while I fix the lane wire, I put the game in the root of the test mode. After fixing the lane, putting the glass back on, taking the game out of test and closing the coin door, the autolaunch does not work any more for the rest of the game.

I will also concur with what other people are saying that the drain callouts should not be the same as the end of mission callout. That just doesn't make any sense at all and becomes repetetive. Furthermore, on Tier 3 missions that you can fail, you still get the end of mission callout even when you fail the objective. This is misleading because it may make you think you beat the mission when in fact you haven't.

I don't understand why some Tier 3 missions are timed and others are not. There is a great disparity in the difficulty of these. Plus we've seen enough of the timer on the tier 1 missions, there needs to be something other to challenge us other than more time based missions. Like require so many combos for example, roaming shots, shoot black hole to light next shot, light ramp shots for each red matter target hit etc.

Rob

#193 9 years ago

I'm still having two problems, one consistent and one not:
1. Consistently the Vengeance drop target when hit once, will register 3 to 5 hits in quick succession. VERY bothersome.

2. Inconsistently, when I push start, the game will automatically select a mission. Most always it's Destroy the Drill. You cannot change the mission, but you do have to launch the ball. This happens once in about every 30 games.
Murphy

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

1. Consistently the Vengeance drop target when hit once, will register 3 to 5 hits in quick succession. VERY bothersome.

2. Inconsistently, when I push start, the game will automatically select a mission. Most always it's Destroy the Drill. You cannot change the mission, but you do have to launch the ball. This happens once in about every 30 games.
Murphy

I had this same problem in the old code. This one is a hardware problem. You need a new opto board at the entrance of the vengeance. If you go into switch test and bang on the playfield or tap the opto with a plastic stick, you'll see that it will trip the switch. If you call Stern, they will send you a replacement under warranty.

#195 9 years ago

Murphy

Try adding washers to the drop target assembly like others have had to do on ACDC, and Star Trek. I had the same problem as you describe, and the washers solved the problem.

#196 9 years ago

Murphy

I believe this is caused by the punch it button switch being triggered from the vibration of the ball trough. Adjust the switch so it's not so sensitive. If memory serves right, I barely had to adjust/ touch my punch it switch and it fixed this issue.

#197 9 years ago

Finished super ramps tonight - which is totally awesome by the way. The last shot doesn't show the flyby animation or what points were scored, but just says "Super Ramps Completed" with little fanfare...

Rob

#198 9 years ago

Sorry if this was covered or not a bug. I just finished all level 1 missions and Kobayashi Maru and on the second levels after I completed objectives, then locked to change missions they weren't registering as completed. If I chose them again it still said "destroy the drill 2" for example.

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The game doesn't realize the coin door is open (high voltage off) and keeps trying to launch the balls, making the launch sound repeatedly in the process. So to stop that annoyance while I fix the lane wire, I put the game in the root of the test mode. After fixing the lane, putting the glass back on, taking the game out of test and closing the coin door, the autolaunch does not work any more for the rest of the game.

I noticed last night that after I opened the coin door it didn't play the coin door chime sound, and after I'd had it open for a bit the game just did the drained ball sounds/animation. Might be a bug about the coin door switch? Or maybe you have to turn the coin door ball saver on?

#200 9 years ago

I noticed today that in KB multiball that the "Beam me up" inserts don't light up when rolled over, but they do register because I got the 2X animation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 664 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-st-15-code-bugs-here/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.