Topic Stats

• 664 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

stern-code-st-steve-wherethecode.jpg
stern-code-star-trek-klingon-wheresthecode.jpg
003.JPG
004.JPG
image.jpg
image-502.jpg
image-240.jpg
CAM00024.jpg

There are 664 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.
#1 5 years ago

To help Steve and company, post any code bugs or perceived bugs here.

Please limit posts to problems - want to keep this thread on point and not as another "code wish list thread".

#2 5 years ago

laser + motor didn't stop when "klingon multiball" was over (only one ball left).
the laser was still on while playing the next mission, until the last remaining ball drained.

this happened twice already. sounds like a bug to me.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from flx:

laser + motor didn't stop when "klingon multiball" was over (only one ball left).
the laser was still on while playing the next mission, until the last remaining ball drained.
this happened twice already. sounds like a bug to me.

This happened to me as well on ball two. Laser was still going after Klingon MB ended. Didn't go out till the ball drained. Ball 2 back to normal

#4 5 years ago

Pro - Galactic award callouts are inconsistent.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Pro - Galactic award callouts are inconsistent.

Agreed. They need to clearly state what the award is before plunging the ball back in.

#6 5 years ago

Sometimes on the pro the AT shot is lit for a Galactic Event, I get the shot in and nothing happens, it just shoots it back out and the AT shot is still lit.

#7 5 years ago

Twice in one game I had locks lit, and hit the ball up cleanly into the Vengeance shot, and the ball went up in, and rolled back out, with no response. On my third try the drop popped up and I got the lock. Maybe it's the code that keeps the drop from shooting up too fast (that used to happen to me, would go up so quick it would launch the ball into the air instead of letting it pass).

This isn't so much a straight bug, but it feels like the "Away Team is lit" callout happens strangely late, I wish it would occur right when the shot lights up. It would help it be clear that it's the actual Away Shot and not it lighting because the mode is timing out.

I've hit Away Team to start the next mode, hit Punch It! to select the mode, and had it choose it, but not launch the ball. After waiting a bit I hit Punch It! again and the ball launched.

#8 5 years ago

So far I've noticed the following bugs...

1. Klingon MB laser doesn't turn off after the MB ends... (Same as mentioned above).

2. When you go into the Away Team as the final shot in a mission, the ball no longer auto plunges like it should. The auto plunge does come back eventually... maybe it's after the ball drains... not exactly sure.

3. When you get Galactic Lanes the Beam/Me/Up lights turn dark blue, but if you drain with the mission time low so that the next ball in the shooter lane starts a mission the lights stay dark blue. They should be back to the light blue since you aren't in the Galactic Lanes mode anymore. (It's confusing because when in Galactic Lanes mode you want the ball to roller over lit lanes and when you are in normal mode you want the ball to roll over unlit lanes to increase multiplier... So, if you see dark blue you are thinking hit the lit lanes, but it's actually acting like they are light blue.)

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

2. When you go into the Away Team as the final shot in a mission, the ball no longer auto plunges like it should. The auto plunge does come back eventually... maybe it's after the ball drains... not exactly sure.

Isn't it waiting for you to select the next mission? I wouldn't want it to auto-fire until I've selected a mission, it might pick the wrong one if it fires automatically.

Or are you saying it doesn't fire after hitting the button? If so, that does sound like a bug. I haven't noticed it because I'm in the habit of manually plunging the ball at that point anyway.

Kevin

#10 5 years ago

It waits until you select the mission, but then it doesn't plunge. So, to answer your question... "It doesn't fire after hitting the button". I actually not 100% sure of the sequencing to get it to not work, but it has happened a couple of times on me already. I think it definitely has something to do with the new Away Team code.

Note: I also turned off auto plunge using the flipper buttons... I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

I also just found some more...
1. If you activate Nero's away team mode, the red matter lights turn purple. When you keep playing into the next mode, I noticed that they were still purple at times and then turned back to red like they should have been.

To me it looks like Stern just needs a little clean up code after all of the Away Team modes to reset all the games features back to the normal colors, etc.

2. In the config menu you have an option to reset the bonus multiplier at the start of each ball (Feature Setting #36). By default it's set to "No", but the multiplier resets anyway. I haven't changed the option because I like that it resets just like in the old code, but this looks like a bug since it is set to "No".

I also noticed a couple of items in the settings that need cleaning up like the mode timers. Some of the settings have the same labels, etc.

EDIT: Also not truly a bug, but going by other games...
Shouldn't the info menu show things like:
a. Current Warp
b. Warps Until Extra Ball & Double Scoring
c. Current Locked Balls
d. Number of Hits Before Next Vengeance Mode
e. Number of Super Ramps/Pops/Spinners Remaining
f. Current Multiplier
g. Number of Extra balls in queue

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

2. In the config menu you have an option to reset the bonus multiplier at the start of each ball (Feature Setting #36). By default it's set to "No", but the multiplier resets anyway. I haven't changed the option because I like that it resets just like in the old code, but this looks like a bug since it is set to "No".

I think this is for resetting the shot multiplier you get for completing a level III mode, not the bonus multiplier. I most definitely want it NOT to reset, it's hard enough to get the multiplier without it resetting after all your hard work!

I 100% agree on the info menu items, those should all be there.

Kevin

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Kevkat:

I think this is for resetting the shot multiplier you get for completing a level III mode, not the bonus multiplier.

Oh, Ok. If that's what it is then that one is ok. (I propose that Stern posts a list of what each item in the config does. )

And one more thing I noticed that I was hoping someone else could check on...
In attract mode on a Premium (and probably LE), take a look at the insignia multi-color led for the vengeance. It looks like it's blinking blue when it shouldn't be at times in the attract sequence. It's really hard to notice, just stare at it for a minute and you'll see it.

Either that or my LED board has something wrong with it. :p

EDIT:
Another possible bug is that shots to the vengeance when in a vengeance battle mode don't register if they are in rapid succession. I'm not sure if this is by design or not as it's always done this. It might be to prevent multiple triggers on slow ball rolling though.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

It waits until you select the mission, but then it doesn't plunge. So, to answer your question... "It doesn't fire after hitting the button". I actually not 100% sure of the sequencing to get it to not work, but it has happened a couple of times on me already. I think it definitely has something to do with the new Away Team code.

Next time it happens, look to see if the super skill shot is lit at the warp ramp. The game may be encouraging you to short plunge and go for the SS shot. (or just more warp ramp shots)

Either way, I bet it's intentional. As a player, I just about always want to manually plunge on ST.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Next time it happens, look to see if the super skill shot is lit at the warp ramp. The game may be encouraging you to short plunge and go for the SS shot. (or just more warp ramp shots)
Either way, I bet it's intentional. As a player, I just about always want to manually plunge on ST.

I'll take a look next time it happens, but I really think it's a bug because once it happens it's almost like it breaks the auto plunge from then on. And then randomly it comes back after a while.

For example, during normal play of a mode without out any special side modes, if you get it in the Away Team shot when Away Team isn't lit, you would expect it to auto plunge back into play. It's always done this and it still does. When the bug happens, doing this might not auto plunge. I'm pretty sure that was something that I saw happen, but I'll have to pay more attention next time.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

I'll take a look next time it happens, but I really think it's a bug because once it happens it's almost like it breaks the auto plunge from then on. And then randomly it comes back after a while.
For example, during normal play of a mode without out any special side modes, if you get it in the Away Team shot when Away Team isn't lit, you would expect it to auto plunge back into play. It's always done this and it still does. When the bug happens, doing this might not auto plunge. I'm pretty sure that was something that I saw happen, but I'll have to pay more attention next time.

In that case, yeah, that doesn't sound right. You don't want too many unlimited breaks in the action on a location game for no reason. If nothing is lit (final shot or galactic), it should auto plunge.

Are pro owners seeing this too?

#16 5 years ago

LE game after getting thru all the modes the first time, when in Prime directive mode no lights are lit to achieve the mode goals

#17 5 years ago

Back to the code waiting room everyone!

#18 5 years ago

Sadly, the 2x shot multiplier for completing the third level of a mission still doesn't provide a 2x above a combo 2x. Based on playing it tonight, it does NOT work as it should. After spending two balls completing DTD 3, I was notified that my warp ram was 2x, but the warp ramp value I received from a L orbit to Warp combo was the same as the same comboed shot during a game where I hadn't completed all three levels of DTD.

#19 5 years ago

Version 1.41 and 1.50

If two players start Nero II at the same time, the shots will stop relighting and the mode gets stuck and cannot be completed. So if player 1 starts and only completes 5 shots, loses ball, player 2 then starts the mode, eventually the mode will stop relighting the shots. Easily reproducible

#20 5 years ago

I was playing a game on my LE and twice I got a "warp 5" call out when I hadn't hit the warp ramp. I was currently on warp 4 and when I hit the warp ramp it did call out the correct warp 5.

#21 5 years ago

Just downloaded 1.5 and i have a problem with my music and voice, it sounds like a blown speaker, i downloaded 1.0 again and the speakers work fine, downloaded 1.5 again and the speakers sound awful? Don't know if its a bug, has anyone else had any problems with sound after downloading 1.5?

#22 5 years ago

I never had balls get stuck on vengeance mb before 1.5 and now they get stuck every time and you can't shake loose

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I never had balls get stuck on vengeance mb before 1.5 and now they get stuck every time

Me too. At least almost every time. A shake gets them loose, and the third ball does release right away. My balls aren't magnetized, so I don't know what is going on. Similarly, this didn't happen until the code update.

#24 5 years ago

Super skill shot is inconsistent between Vengeance and Beta Quadrant ramp. This was a problem in the old code, too.

If you plunge for the super skill shot and the insert is flashing for you to shoot Vengeance for the super skill shot, you can hit multiple targets with Vengeance still flashing before hitting Vengeance and still be awarded the super skill shot.

If you plunge for the super skill shot and The Beta Quadrant ramp is lit for the shot, if you hit ANY target and then hit the Beta Quadrat ramp with the insert still flashing you will NOT be awarded the super skill shot.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Just downloaded 1.5 and i have a problem with my music and voice, it sounds like a blown speaker, i downloaded 1.0 again and the speakers work fine, downloaded 1.5 again and the speakers sound awful? Don't know if its a bug, has anyone else had any problems with sound after downloading 1.5?

Did you have it do the verify when you installed the 1.5? Maybe you have a corrupt file.

#26 5 years ago

Vengeance scoring mode if you just hit flippers really fast you can complete mode before drop target comes down and get extra ball kinda a big one

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Sometimes on the pro the AT shot is lit for a Galactic Event, I get the shot in and nothing happens, it just shoots it back out and the AT shot is still lit.

Having same issue

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Vengeance scoring mode if you just hit flippers really fast you can complete mode before drop target comes down and get extra ball kinda a big one

That's not a 1.5 bug (I don't think), some people have reported that from the beginning. Some kind of hardware problem. I tried to duplicate it on my Premium and can't do it. I can try again with the new code though.

#28 5 years ago

Has anyone noticed this bug: I like to manually plunge the ball to get the Warp Ramp Super Skill Shot...there have been quite a few times where after I plunged, the auto-kicker would fire. This never happened on previous code.

Quoted from Schabs81:

Having same issue

Quoted from Aurich:

That's not a 1.5 bug (I don't think), some people have reported that from the beginning. Some kind of hardware problem. I tried to duplicate it on my Premium and can't do it. I can try again with the new code though.

Yeah, this still happens on mine. This is a really weird bug because it seems to happen on LE's and not Premiums - but they run the same code. So, there's gotta be SOMETHING about the way the LE is made that interacts with the code to cause this bug.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Has anyone noticed this bug: I like to manually plunge the ball to get the Warp Ramp Super Skill Shot...there have been quite a few times where after I plunged, the auto-kicker would fire. This never happened on previous code.

Yeah, this still happens on mine. This is a really weird bug because it seems to happen on LE's and not Premiums - but they run the same code. So, there's gotta be SOMETHING about the way the LE is made that interacts with the code to cause this bug.

Auto kicker fires by it self at times

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Did you have it do the verify when you installed the 1.5? Maybe you have a corrupt file.

Yes

#31 5 years ago

Yes the autokicker fires by itself at times but it was happening on mine way earlier.

#32 5 years ago

Asteroid flashers, Chase lights and backbox lights do not work in game

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Twice in one game I had locks lit, and hit the ball up cleanly into the Vengeance shot, and the ball went up in, and rolled back out, with no response. On my third try the drop popped up and I got the lock. Maybe it's the code that keeps the drop from shooting up too fast (that used to happen to me, would go up so quick it would launch the ball into the air instead of letting it pass).
This isn't so much a straight bug, but it feels like the "Away Team is lit" callout happens strangely late, I wish it would occur right when the shot lights up. It would help it be clear that it's the actual Away Shot and not it lighting because the mode is timing out.
I've hit Away Team to start the next mode, hit Punch It! to select the mode, and had it choose it, but not launch the ball. After waiting a bit I hit Punch It! again and the ball launched.

i think the drop target isnt resetting , this happened to me several times now and during game play with out a lock lit it did it , drop target not up , ball goes right up into the vengeance and out with nothing registering.

#34 5 years ago

I have never had issues with the balls sticking on the magnet under the Vengeance. Now with the new code they're sticking and I have to shake them loose.

#35 5 years ago

Adter updating my Rescue Kickback Plunger does not work properly.
Timing after hiting the swich slowly is especially the most problem because the kickback comes to early.
sometimes the kickback does not react after rolling fast over the switch.
before upgrading (i played with 1.41) i had never problems with the kickback.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Super skill shot is inconsistent between Vengeance and Beta Quadrant ramp. This was a problem in the old code, too.
If you plunge for the super skill shot and the insert is flashing for you to shoot Vengeance for the super skill shot, you can hit multiple targets with Vengeance still flashing before hitting Vengeance and still be awarded the super skill shot.
If you plunge for the super skill shot and The Beta Quadrant ramp is lit for the shot, if you hit ANY target and then hit the Beta Quadrat ramp with the insert still flashing you will NOT be awarded the super skill shot.

This has always been this way; I've never been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to it. The amount of time it gives you to hit the super skill shot varies a lot, too. Anywhere from not even having enough time for a very quick catch and shoot to register to being able to miss 5 shots and get it on the sixth. In general I guess the Vengeance one seems to last longer. Any time it goes away really fast it seems to be the right ramp one.

I've also had several times where it will re-light the super skillshot if you drain within the first few seconds and the ball is saved. Sometimes it will even switch the skill shot from one target to the other. Rare, but it happens. Usually it kills the skillshot and closes the gate at the top so the launch doesn't go all the way around, but not always.

Personally I think you should be able to combo the skillshot for 2x points. There's been a few times I hit left ramp to right ramp for the skillshot and it would have been sweet.

#37 5 years ago

Yes, the skill shot problem has always been there. Also, if you don't take the skill shot by holding the left flipper button, then at any time when you get the ball back in the shooter lane (i.e. Take the Away Team, or start a multiball), then you can hold the left flipper button to light the skill shot. I kind of thought that this might have been intentional, but I'm not sure that it is.

What I like to do is take the right flipper button skill shot and to for the warp ramp. Then I'll take the left flipper button skill shot at any time during my ball for an additional 1million+ points.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Yes, the skill shot problem has always been there. Also, if you don't take the skill shot by holding the left flipper button, then at any time when you get the ball back in the shooter lane (i.e. Take the Away Team, or start a multiball), then you can hold the left flipper button to light the skill shot. I kind of thought that this might have been intentional, but I'm not sure that it is.
What I like to do is take the right flipper button skill shot and to for the warp ramp. Then I'll take the left flipper button skill shot at any time during my ball for an additional 1million+ points.

Wow, I'll have to try that (and then hope they don't fix it )

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have never had issues with the balls sticking on the magnet under the Vengeance. Now with the new code they're sticking and I have to shake them loose.

So how is this magnet different than the ones in MET? I have never have balls stick on the magnets in that game. Is there a divot forming on the magnet core?. What if you put 2 layers of mylar on the core, would that help? If the ball is stuck and you turn the game off, does the ball stay stuck or does it fall?

Rob

#40 5 years ago

After playing some more tonight, I have found some more bugs...

1.) If you start the Galactic Away Team mode at the start of a multiball, the ball saver is cancelled even before all balls are plunged into play.

2.) I've had a couple of fast balls shot directly into the vengeance and due to the now slower drop target, they quickly bounce out and aren't caught therefore not crediting me with the lock, extra ball, etc. (This may be by design.)

3.) The auto plunge is definitely a bug... During multiball, I somehow managed to get two balls in the shooter lane and they were not plunged in. It was difficult plunging two balls manually, I had to wait till multiball was over to manually plunge them back in. I can't see this working well for tournament play.

4.) During vengeance level 3, I wasn't awarded an extra ball for completing it. I did notice that Lock was lit at the vengeance shot while I was playing this mode so I'm not sure that that had something to do with it or not.

5.) In connection with Bug #4 above, while playing vengeance level 3, the green lock light was lit at the vengeance shot. This is confusing as the lock isn't actually awarded until the mode is over.

6.) Quick hits to the vengeance in any vengance mode aren't registered. (This may be by design.)

7.) In vengeance level 1 (the multiball), after defeating the vengeance, if you get a ball in the center vengeance shot, it still kicks back. I'm not sure that that makes sense... You would think that if the vengeance is defeated, that it wouldn't fight back anymore.

8.) During play when a lot of things are going on, I've seen multiple occurrences of the drop target being up when it should be down. If you don't hit it, it eventually goes down almost as if the CPU is processing things in succession and it just hasn't gotten to dropping the target yet. (This may be by design as the CPU is not capable of handling all that is going on.)

I feel like I'm a product tester at Stern.

In all seriousness though... I'm pretty sure that Stern has released this code knowing it's in beta knowing full well that they are going to have to release a final version afterwards. I think Pinside kind of pushed them to do it.

Now, if that's not true and Stern released this thinking that it was good and done, it just blows my mind. Two people playing for about one hour each could easily find numerous bugs.

With that said, this is still an awesome game. Great job Steve Ritchie & team!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

So how is this magnet different than the ones in MET? I have never have balls stick on the magnets in that game. Is there a divot forming on the magnet core?. What if you put 2 layers of mylar on the core, would that help? If the ball is stuck and you turn the game off, does the ball stay stuck or does it fall?
Rob

It's software, not something physical, or the code wouldn't have changed anything.

Quoted from steve1515:

In all seriousness though... I'm pretty sure that Stern has released this code knowing it's in beta knowing full well that they are going to have to release a final version afterwards. I think Pinside kind of pushed them to do it.

My guess is they pushed it out for the long weekend, and to get it out ahead of the TWD announcement. X-Men got several quick bug fix releases, so hopefully ST sees the same kind of response. I like all the ideas once the problems are addressed!

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My guess is they pushed it out for the long weekend, and to get it out ahead of the TWD announcement. X-Men got several quick bug fix releases, so hopefully ST sees the same kind of response. I like all the ideas once the problems are addressed!

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I really do love the game and the new features. I can't wait to see it with all the bugs taken care of. It's really is a great game.

#43 5 years ago

Is there any difference from the premium and LE download?

#44 5 years ago

And the bug list continues...

1.) I don't know how this happened, but...
1a.) The center lock was lit.
1b.) The ball quickly went in the vengeance and came out faster than the drop could catch it.
1c.) The drop went back down.
1d.) The next shot the to vengeance went in slowly, but nothing happened... kind of like it was ignored.
1e.) The drop came up a shot time afterwards.
1f.) The ball hits the drop and it goes down.
1g.) Now things seem to be back to normal... The ball goes into the center shot and is captured by the drop for a lock.

Also, I'm noticing that the laser isn't staying on after Klingon MB anymore. Maybe it's something that goes away after awhile... Kind of like when one memory location get's overwritten incorrectly.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Is there any difference from the premium and LE download?

Good question. I just did a binary compare, and yes, they are identical.

#46 5 years ago

Ok, thanks, i just downloaded 1.5 again and the sound is still horrible, like some kind of humming/static with the voice and music? Dont know what else to do unless i go back to an earlier download? Maybe try the LE download? Possibility it may be different? I have a Premium by the way.

#47 5 years ago

You can check that the file you are getting isn't corrupt (or at least is equal to mine).

Here are my checksums for the v1.50 Premium/LE zip file...
MD5: 1db9ade084c808b9a8e79fab11935a6e
SHA-1: c279dd89e91b8d971b7e82e520568c28cea3dec6
SHA-256: 1acaeac1fbac27f457ffa313ce1c491e06445074107e172d5373326b4ae7092f

Stern should really post these on their website as this is firmware. It's kind of standard practice, but oh well.

EDIT: If you need a tool to calculate hashes, this is a good one: http://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/

#48 5 years ago

Stern should add a lot of you guys to their payroll since you are doing there jobs... instead of charging you for incomplete games.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Me too. At least half the time. What could be causing this? Almost as if there is just a slight bit of residual magnetism, but I'm not sure if that makes sense . . . .

#50 5 years ago

Just a minor bug, lol ... but, Bones' new callouts are crystal clear and everyone else's seem to have a voice filter.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 664 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside