IMG_0158 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0157 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0106 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0166 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0085 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9892 Hantavirus information regarding mouse urine. Posted by Pecos (5 years ago)

Post #23256 Important Site navigation information Posted by ForceFlow (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#231 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

This game looks really unique, with TWO drop lanes and a mini bagatelle on the pf. ...and I love that "Basin Street" plastic with all the buildings wrapping around the pathway with the hairpin turn.
dixieland.jpg
Cool find!
Also...perhaps another minor point of interest:

The description later in the ad states "$375 / OBO." Sounds like price isn't firm.

Zipper Flippers on that machine also! Low production machine (about 1800 made).

Crazy story but I just picked up one of these in Central PA this week. If anyone in my area is looking for Dixieland I have a decent one with a pretty nice backglass for sale here in Carlisle, PA for $400. I never even had a chance to plug it in yet but seller said score motor kept running.

2 weeks later
#342 8 years ago

Nitro Groundshaker machines always seem to bring crazy money for what they are as far as gameplay but the backglass art on that machine is fantastic. Rarely do you ever see a Nitro for under $1000 in working condition even with playfield wear and some backglass flaking (which is very common for that title).

Looking at pictures of that machine it looks like the backglass has some paint loss down by the lift channel which is very typical of Nitro also.

After buyer premium & sales tax that machine sold for over $500 and was actually still a pretty decent deal in my opinion. I paid more than that for them in worse condition. In the past 5 or 6 years I have owned several Nitros and keep selling them once I have them fixed up. Every time I get rid of the last one I start missing that neat 1970's backglass art and end up buying another one, fix it up, then realize I don't like the gameplay and sell it, a month later I end up with another one. My plan next time is to just hang a backglass on the wall and forget about wasting space on the full machine.

Nitro is not a bad playing machine but it is just kind of disappointing after playing mostly System 11 and newer machines.

#404 8 years ago

Nice looking playfield on that $750 Firepower and backglass looks good also from the pictures. From what I see that looks like a $900 to $1000 machine all day long?

2 weeks later
#524 8 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

This is the third Airborne Avenger I have found!?

I don't think the count of 350 of those made can be correct. I have gotten 4 "junk playfields" in groups of stuff I have bought for parts over the past 3 or 4 years and I know of a couple others that are complete or that have been parted out. It just seems like way too many of these pop up or have been parted to only have had 350 made originally.

On the other hand Gottlieb Ready Aim Fire shows production of 390 and I have owned a couple of those and know of 4 or 5 others here in the Central PA area. Again it just seems crazy there are that many still round in central PA that I know about with original production under 400 machines?

3 weeks later
#723 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

A possible package deal from Mr. P:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
3 Gottlieb EMs--Wild Life - Magnotron - Airport, 1974 1972 Gottlieb: 375-125
Both the Wild Life and Magnotron are working machines that will need new rubber and a good cleaning. Both have very nice playfields and backglasses. Both have original cabinets but are heavily scratched. The Airport is in poor condition. All three machines are complete. Wild Life 375, Magnotron 375, Airport 125. All three for 700.
Pete Phone: 908-534-5170
[email protected], Readington, New Jersey
----------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone interested these belong to Pete that does both York & Allentown Shows. He is a good guy to deal with and his descriptions are typically spot on. If someone else doesn't grab them before I have a chance I might make the drive for them this coming week. But to be honest I really don't need more machines because I am too-many-pins already!

1 week later
#809 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Hah, didn't even notice that---the neck *is* missing.

I have owned three Allied Leisure's with blank coin doors over the past 5 years or so and two of those had no "necks" so someone is wrong about "no home models" or they made a lot more of these than stated for parties.

I always just flipped the ones I ended up with because I had no interest in them but as you would expect not being on location they all looked pretty much like new. Cheaply made but not all that uncommon for them to be in nice cosmetic condition from my experience. Every time I got one in a "bulk purchase" deal I thought to myself "not again" but someone always wanted them and I think I actually sold my last one at the Allentown Pinball Show last year.

#843 8 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Manufacturer: Midway
Game/Type: 2x Rotation VIII/ SS Cocktail 4 Player
Month/Year: September 1978
Production: Unknown
Cost: $600
Link/Contact: " target="_blank">desmoines.craigslist.org link
Condition: OP: "This is one of the coolest pinball machines I have ever seen... The playfield rotates around to who ever's turn it is to play. There are 4 plungers around the outside of the table.. I have 2 of them... The insides look pretty clean and I am sure you could get one going out of the 2. It also would be the coolest coffee table ever for the pinball fanatic even if it didn't work. I got these in a storage unit and don't know anything about them. They look complete inside. I also have the glass for the top but took them off for the pictures."

Talk about cool & different! One of the first times I have ever had to say "wish I was closer"! I love crazy stuff like this!

#844 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I posted that a few days ago in the Craigslist EM finds thread... how can that NOT be sold yet?!?

Lots of times when sell puts "best offer" they wait for weeks trying to get more then a machine is worth once they get a couple decent offers on it. I would be willing to bet if you offered $500 cash you still wouldn't hear back from them. Don't let the $50 price fool you!

#862 8 years ago

Bottom line these days is GREAT DEALS are gone with in minutes of them being listed. GOOD DEALS last a few hours (if you are lucky). I agree this thread is likely making more people aware of "good deals" but if you are truly looking to buy in your area you likely have already contacted seller before it ever gets posted here.

I have contacted 8 or 10 people after machines have been listed here and they are already long gone. So I think this thread might help sellers more than it helps buyers but it is still interesting to see what is for sale all over the U.S.

#865 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

The market changed sometime around last June, at least for EM's. I started collecting in late 2013 when it was still possible to find a good project in the $250-$350 range every week or two. Now, it's like maybe one per month... if that... and often not in very good condition and/or severely overpriced. Sure hope the well isn't drying up!
I like threads like this because it helps the market maintain fluidity and calls out the sky-high crazy unrealistic prices.

Bottom line with pins & prices is: Old operators warehouses are pretty much a thing of the past, so most pinball machines are currently in the hand of collectors or home owners. As interest in the hobby increases supply will keep getting smaller and prices will continue to go up.

20 years ago there were buildings full of machines and very little interest in them - now you have new machines with price point of $7500 to $10,000 (out of logical reach for most working class people) so demand is well above supply for used machines. I think this trend will continue for at least another 10 years but no one knows for sure.

Two things I can tell you for sure is prices on most machines have gone up dramatically over the past 5 or 6 years and I am finding it much harder to buy machines these days. Thankfully we have our collection about where we want it and have some excess machines to sell off this coming year.

#866 8 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Welcome beep! You are always welcome to voice your opinions pertinent to this thread.
Even the most casual of observers will recognize that I believe that the Project Pins thread serves some beneficial purposes. Why else would I spend so much time looking for and posting these project pinball machines?
Project pins are like those older mutts at the animal shelter that no one wants. Unless they are given away for free or at a bargain price, they tend to hang around a while. By listing those "mutts" here, I am hoping to get the project pins into the hands of the very people who know how to bring these pieces of Americana back to life. Pinside is the perfect place to find the lovers of project pins who can appreciate and respect these remarkable machines.
There are people who can't afford the latest Stern pinball. I hope that those people will find their way to the Project Pins thread and find an affordable pinball that only needs a little TLC to get it working again.
I am hopeful that Pinsiders who have never tackled a pinball project can, with the help of this thread and the many awesome restoration threads on this site, tackle the restoration of a broken down EM or SS pinball project. Clay's site and Vid's informational threads gave me the confidence I needed to restore the mechanics and playfield of my Williams 1969 Expo EM. I would like to share the challenges and joys of restoring a pinball machine destined for the scrap heap with you good people here at Pinside.
Most sellers of project pins on this thread have better prices and nicer pins than you generally find on Craigslist. They often give a price break to Pinsiders or give Pinsiders first dibs at a machine because they would prefer to sell a project pinball to a Pinsider.
Pinside benefits with a small commission when a Pinsider clicks on an eBay ad and then buys a pinball machine on eBay. I don't know if that is still true, but it was when I joined six months ago.
As for this thread raising the price of project pins, you would have to ask those people who found and bought a pinball on this thread. I know some, as Ryan Claytor has said, have gotten a project pinball for less than the listed CL price.
And lastly, not leastly, thank you to all of you whose name I recognize for your support.

Pecos,

I know this post had made it somewhat harder for me to get some of the "local deals" but I still love it and look at it at least a couple times a day. As with anything in life - something good results in something bad for someone else at times but overall I think this post is a great idea.

One suggestion I would make to people trying to buy machines is DON'T get too crazy with prices you are offering for them. Offer what you think is fair - if you get the machine GREAT - if not move on. There will always be another one down the road shortly.

Keep the post coming - I love seeing what is for sale in other parts of the country!

#927 8 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Probably long gone but posting anyway.
Manufacturer: Bally
Game/Type: Hokus Pokus / EM 2 Player
Month/Year: April 1975
Production: 3,086
Cost: Free
Link/Contact: " target="_blank">cnj.craigslist.org link
Condition: OP: "Free to who comes and picks it up. Decent shape, its a fixer upper, take as is."

I emailed about that one last night and offered to "buy them dinner ($100) if they would hold it for me till Thursday (first chance I would have to pick it up)" and never got a reply so I assume it is long gone.

#983 8 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I'm thinking about picking one up for a rainy day(s) project. Can't stand Black Knight or Firepower, don't know Agents 777 or Alien star, which would be the better one to get?

If I lived on the west coast I would be buying all of them. Depending on space you have I wouldn't think twice about grabbing as many as you can and what you don't want just pass on to other collectors down the road or use for trade bait.

#1003 8 years ago

I check in at least a couple times a day. Sometimes it is the only post I even look at when I hit Pinside for a quick visit. I love seeing what is for sale all over the country. Keep them coming! Great idea for a post from Pecos - and thanks to all for posting.

2 months later
#1813 8 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

It's legit. He's got a new girlfriend and moving to a new apartment. Pins gotta go. A 'semi-hobbyist'. I talked to the guy and almost pulled the trigger on the deal. Just don't have the room right now. The Ready Aim Fire is a rare machine with only 390 produced. He gave the run down on the machines and they are, in his words, in "semi-collector's condition".

Ready Aim Fire is a tough machine to sell for some reason. Even with low production number no one seems to care. I have actually owned 3 of them over the past 7 or 8 years and always had a hard time getting $500 out of them (shopped and working 100%). I really don't understand why you see so many of these come up for sale since they only made 390 of them but since I have been in the hobby this is about the 12th one I have heard about (or seen) for sale?

#1838 7 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Attention K-mart shoppers - Blue Light Special!
ebay.com link » Gottliebs Spin A Card 1969 Vintage Pinball Machine

Now that is a "Blue Light Special" as I have never seen blue before. What are some people thinking?

#1868 7 years ago

Projects headed ALLENTOWN SHOW in a coulpe days:

After several weeks of trying with little luck because of other things going on in my life I finally have a list of machines headed to the indoor flea market area. Most are projects and are priced accordingly. I am really not interested in selling anything before the show and prefer buyers look at machines before I make a deal with anyone. But if you are seriously interested in any of these machines I will hold machines till 1 PM Friday to give you a chance to see a machine before unloading that specific title from the trailer.

EM's Include:

Bally Circus - nice backglass, some playfield wear, stepper needs coil and needs other work $275
Bally Dixieland (zipper flippers) decent overall & semi working $475
Bally Time Zone - whitewood playfield - needs backglass & work $375
Chicago Coin Beatnicks project $275
Chicago Coin Festival project $375
Gottlieb Dodge City project - decent cosmetically $600
Gottlieb Jacks Open - fair cosmetically (likely around $500)
Gottlieb Jet Spin $350
Gottlieb Mini Cycle (repainted playfield) $275
Williams Swinger $300

SS's Include:

Bally Nitro Groundshaker -- project (likely $800)
Bally Silverball Mania -- project (likely $450 to $500)
Bally Space Invaders -- working with playfield wear - nice backglasses (likely $800)
Gottlieb Force II - likely already sold (bringing it to show to someone, but if they don't take it I will put it out for sale)

Also bringing about 25 to 30 backglasses (some super nice and some wall hangers), used playfield glass ($5 a sheet), assorted wooden legs for woodrails (some sets & some singles), back doors from a few EM's, coin boxes, etc.

2 months later
#2577 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

**Relisted for a third time at a reduced price**
Game/Type: Freedom / EM 4 Player
Month/Year: July 1976
Production: 5,080
Cost: $450 Reduced to $395 reduced to $375 reduced to $325
Contact/Link: york.craigslist.org link
Condition: OP: "Great Color on Backglass - Play field Worn Currently not working - Power Up Problem"

This machine has been up for sale for at least 3 to 6 months and has been up for $325 for a good bit of the time listed. I am about a hour away but figure there must be something up with it or it would likely be gone by now?

3 months later
#3809 7 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Maybe! Would not be the first time this has happened, I emailed about a $200 Pro Football EM machine and by the time he responded the post had updated to $400. I wish I had saved the image with the ad to compare the two.

It happened to me yesterday. Machine listed locally for $200 OBO - my email to seller "if your machine is not already spoken for I will take it and I'll pay at least $250 for it (possibly more)". After she agreed to sell it to me I never got an email with her address. Today same machine is listed for $450. I emailed her back and told her I am no longer interested at any price.

4 weeks later
#4078 7 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Absolutely! This is the thread I most consistently check on Pinside, and it is one of the most consistently updated, too! Thanks Pecos!

I have mixed feeling about this thread but I to want to say thanks for starting it. I check it all the time and it has been a lot of fun to watch.

What I love about the thread is it lets me know if there is something for sale fairly local I might have missed when looking for machines and I have found a few machines as a result. For that I say a big THANK YOU!

What I don't like about the thread is very often it has let others know about a machine I though I would be able to grab and someone else has gotten to it first or offered more. But at least those machines went to someone on Pinside so that is good I guess.

Anyway - overall it has been fun to watch and I will keep watching it. Happy Holidays to PECOS and everyone else who stops by here often! Keep them coming!

#4093 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Game/Type: Vector/ SS
Month/Year: March 24, 1981
Production: 3,500
Cost: $250
Link/Contact: muncie.craigslist.org link
Condition: It powers on and lights up but does not work correctly. It is complete and in nice shape. The glass is not broken or chipped.

Looks like a great deal for someone in that area. Wish I was closer!

#4158 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think I've ever picked up a game by being #2 in line

I have to agree! I have been told something was sold and later got an email that it was available again but I don't think I have ever gotten an email when someone said I was number two in line.

#4159 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Manufacturer: Stern
Game/Type: Magic / SS 4 Player
Month/Year: August 1979
Production: 2,466
Cost: Offer
Link/Contact: norfolk.craigslist.org link
OP: I have a semi-functioning "Magic" by Stern pinball machine - along with a few schematics. I narrowed the problem down to a bad power supply, before other projects took precedence. It is now taking up space in my garage, and I would like it to go to someone who will enjoy the project of fixing it, and playing it.

THANKS for posting this! I have been talking with the seller and as luck would have it I'll be driving right past his place tomorrow on my way to Norfolk VA to pick up a group of machines I recently made a deal on. So this one would work out great if I can make a deal with the seller. I guess I'll know in a few hours.

#4165 7 years ago

Good Luck....hope it works out for you. Don't see those come up very often.

I am blown away & super happy - seller agreed to sell it to me and when I I plugged his address into Mapquest he is less than 2 miles out of my way on my trip south. It doesn't get any better than that! Another one from my wish list added to the collection without a lot of driving involved. The Pinball Gods have been very good to me lately! And this one would not have happened without Pinside, Captive_Ball & PEOCS so a big thank you to everyone involved.

Typically I try to look for other machines along the way when I am traveling to pick up machines but I have NEVER had one come together this easy. Life is good!

1 week later
#4280 7 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

Just put a Paragon on hold for $500 that I found this weekend on CL. (They listed at $300 and I offered higher because it's worth more than that and I can't pick up for2 weeks). Acid on boards that I'll have to deal with, some touch ups needed for sure but I think it's in reasonably decent shape I hope. Always wanted a Paragon, and I actually won one in my home for a week when I was 12 ! Yes someone actually had a call in contest by phone and the prize was they brought you a pin for a week.

That's a great price on that machine but I hope it is still there when you want to get it. I can't tell you how many times someone from Craig's List told me they would hold something for me and it was sold before I got it picked up.

The worst one was a guy about two hours south of me told me he would hold 2 machines for me while I drove down for them. I pull into his driveway and see two guys loading the pins into a pick up. I asked the seller what was going on and his reply was "this guy got here first". I wasn't happy and if I carried a gun I likely would have shot the SOB. This was when fuel was close to $4 a gallon so the round trip cost me about $65.

To me Craig's List has gotten so bad I rarely even look anymore!

#4284 7 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

Yeah I hear ya. Already put the money down, ad already pulled, and he told me that he had multiple calls on it and offers. Perhaps helps I told him upfront it was priced too low, and also that I'm keeping not flipping. But there is always the possibility that it won't be there when I get there if someone is willing to write a bigger check. Does take some trust. Ah well I have to pick up something else there so it won't be a wasted trip regardless.

I feel better knowing you gave the guy a deposit - typically once money changes hands people feel more obligated to do the right thing. Great score!

I am the same way when something is prices too low - I pretty much always try to give sellers more money. Glad to hear I am not the only one that thinks paying a "fair" price for a machine is the right thing to do!

#4326 7 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Amazing price for this pin nowadays, get it quick
ebay.com link » Williams Taxi Pinball Machine Marilyn Edition

Interesting - these is a post on the first page of Pinside about him buying that machine yesterday for $800 and wondering if he paid too much. Same machine same wrong slingshot plastics!

Still looks like a decent deal and he isn't trying to kill anyone with his price considering eBay will take over $100 from the sale.

3 weeks later
#4535 7 years ago

Manufacturer: Premier/Gottlieb
Game/Type: Gold Wings / SS System 80B 4 Player
Month/Year: October 1986
Production: 3,260
Cost: $500 FIRM
Pinsider: too-many-pins
Contact/Link: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/44419

As far as I know this machine is now sold but I'll have dozens more for sale over the next few months if anyone near Central PA is looking for project machines. No list or anything yet but in a few weeks I'll be picking up the next load from our "warehouse find" and that deal has over 60 pins in it that have been sitting for 10 or 12 years. Right now I am posting a few machines from our collection and project stash to make some room for all the machines coming in and to get some extra cash for the warehouse deal. Keep watching the Marketplace for lots more project machines shortly. This week we will be posting fully working machines from our collection in the Marketplace - once some of them are sold the next batch of project machines will be headed to the garage.

1 week later
#4627 7 years ago

Manufacturer: Williams
Game/Type: Taxi / SS 4 Player
Year: August 1988
Production: 7,303
Cost: $1000 obo
Pinsider: Jimmer44 (New Member)
Link/Contact: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/44784

I tried contacting the Taxi guy with no reply so far but I want to warn anyone interested there was a post on Pinside that the display is missing out of that machine also. So between display (only used in two machines & hard to find used) and the MPU plus other stuff that might be wrong with that machine it might not really be a bargain price? I have never owned a Taxi and would still love to try to purchase it but I am really wondering if the "deal" makes sense at this point.

#4629 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It is listed as OBO, so maybe someone will get a deal.
Besides, aren't you trying to get rid of a ton of games?

I know! And I shouldn't even be looking at stuff for sale but I always keep my eyes open for titles we like that we have never owned. Most of you guys know how the pinball illness is - we are all junkies addicted to the silver ball!

#4650 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

$450? Bit high for a CC project

$450 is a bit high for a fully working Chicago Coin machine in most peoples eyes!

3 weeks later
#4893 7 years ago

I have a Hot Tip up in the marketplace for $550 I would take $500 CASH for if anyone near central PA is looking for a players grad Hot Tip machine. Fully working & recently shopped but has an EM backglass in a SS machine. We did not go through the pins & connectors at this price but machines plays great so I wouldn't worry too much about those!

#4903 7 years ago

Caveman $750 (working project with good monitor), Hot Tip $550 (fully working & shopped but EM backglass in SS machine), El Dorado (city of gold) $1250 very nice machine with a couple broken plastics. These are the last of 50+ machines I am trying to get sold off quickly. Each is listed in the marketplace right now but I am looking for a quick sale before I head to Florida next weekend so if you are local (or fairly local to central PA) and could pick these up this weekend I would take $2100 for the 3 machines. (That is actually a few dollars less than I have invested in them but I really want to get them sold quickly if possible.)

If I can't get these sold & picked up by next Thursday I need to move them again & I am tired of moving machines!

#4909 7 years ago

Late 1960's or early 1970's Williams EM Shuffle Alley for sale $175 (OBO). I just picked this up today from a friend of mine that said it worked but I have not assembled it and tried it yet. Fair Shape overall from what I saw when loading it. Cheap EM Shuffle Alley if anyone is looking for one! Just PM me if you are interested.

#4913 7 years ago

I just took a Williams Double Play pitch & bat in on trade today that I would like to sell fairly quickly if anyone is interested. Cosmetically the playfield is very nice but cabinet & backglass are a 6 or 7 at best. Make me a reasonable offer and it will likely be yours! Since it is much longer than an average pinball machine I just don't have a space for it long term.

I worked on it some today but score motor keeps running so something is not resetting properly and I have not figured out the issue yet. I'll be working on it again tomorrow but for now it is being sold as a project machine.

#4936 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Manufacturer: Gottlieb
Game/Type: King Pin / EM 1 Player
Month/Year: December 1973
Production: 4,350
Cost: $90 (!) ??
Contact/Link: lexington.craigslist.org link
Condition: "It came from a storage rental auction. I plugged it up and it lights up. It does need fixing or TLC. Selling cheap $90. It is very heavy and must bring some to help load."

One heck of a deal there! Buying a couple parts from that machine would cost you more then he is asking for the entire machine!

3 weeks later
#4978 7 years ago

Here's a big list of projects....problem is, they want to sell them altogether.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/47265
Pinsider:ncvolsfan
Games are located in North Carolina
bally el toro
gottlieb close encounters - no head- no glass
bally wizard - no glass
williams oh boy - no play field glass - no back glass
williams indy 500 - no backglass
williams time warp
gottlieb buck rogers
williams aztec - no back box
williams dealers choice - no playfield - no back box
bally lost world - cabinet only
williams 4 aces - no back glass
bally future spa
williams aztec - no play field glass - no back glass
williams jubilee - no back box- no play field glass
bally elektra - no back glass
williams pinbot - no backglass
williams black knight
gottleib hulk - no play field glass
bally 8 ball - no back glass
williams alien poker - no play field glass - no back glass
bally freedom
stern galaxy
williams sorcerer
data east laser war - no play field glass - no back glass
williams jungle lord - no back glass
stern stingray
bally future spa
bally six million dollar man
williams scorpion
williams firepower - missing a lot of parts
bally pacman - no play field glass - no back glass
bally pacman - no play field glass
williams space shuttle
williams swinger - no back glass
bally flash gordon - no back glass
williams world cup - (em) no back glass
williams funfest - no back glass
williams phoenix - no back glass
bally wizard - no head - no play field glass
wildlife back box only
lunar shot back box x2
-5-8 unknown backboxes
2-3 unknown cabinets

I think the bigger problem is their asking price - according to my rough estimate almost double what would be logical to pay without a lot more information. They say parts missing so you have to assume a lot of boards & other major parts are likely gone. Plus backglasses still in these machines are likely trashed because of storage conditions - containers are not the best way to store backglasses!

3 months later
#5600 6 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Seller has responded, it seems as though it may be turning into a silent auction bidding war. I've responded that is not my thing, I've offered to pick up tomorrow or Saturday. If anyone is interested in bidding, here's your chance. Otherwise, i, or 2 other members before me. Will pick up. So long as it's saved from the dump I'm good.

I replied within minutes of the machine being listed and offer to give seller well over his listing price. When something is listed too low I always offer a "fair" price for the title. Not trying to get into bidding wars (or playing other games) just trying to be "fair" to sellers who don't realize the value of machine they are selling. Don't worry - I am sure this one will not end up in a landfill!

2 months later
#6039 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball4ever:

These pics look like they were taken in 1982. Also, what's going on with the upper playfield? It's either worn down to the bare wood, the sun completely faded it, or the pic just makes it look that way.

It is glare for the backglass reflecting on the playfield glass. If you look closely you can see the design of the backglass reflected. Interesting machine but wrong coast for me!

#6065 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

OK this is from Craigslist and I have been trying to buy a GIN pinball machine. The seller says it is a players pin and just needs shopped. Which my definition for players pin is that it has wear as it's been played a lot. But take a look at the picture and see if you see the player numbers. What is that black space? Any thoughts?
By the way the seller is telling me I am wasting his time because I won't just jump to his price. Not a good selling practice if you don't want to eat your pinball machine.

Odds are score reel is missing a clip and just slid back into the backbox but even if a score reel is missing it isn't a huge deal depending on price.

As far as seller saying you are wasting his time - as both a buyer & seller of dozens of machines I know that feeling all to well. Too many questions gets old. If machine is fairly local then just drive over with the cash and look at it in person. If it is too far away to do that explain that to the seller and tell them you want to know as much as possible about the machine before making a long drive to come get it.

#6084 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

forceflow I think you are correct with your post, as the seller is ignoring my last email. Another will come by they always do you know. At least anyone reading this can now see where I am coming from on my price and emails.

Bottom line when buying or selling anything is price has to work for both buyer & seller for a transaction to happen. What most "small scale" buyers don't realize is what a PITA it can be selling machines. I can't tell you how many times I have wasted 1/2 a day waiting for a buyer not to show up, how many hundreds of "specific pictures" I have emailed to people beyond what is in my listing, how many dozens of emails I have answered, etc for nothing.

As a seller I want a quick & easy transaction these days.

As a buyer I make the drive then decide if a machine is worth it to me. Too many times pictures and emails don't disclose the facts. If it isn't worth making the drive to take a look I let the deal go to someone else and just move on.

#6087 6 years ago

Buying & Selling 101

Seller doesn't care about buyers issues!

Buyer doesn't care about sellers issues!

Price & condition either work for both of you or deal just doesn't make sense.

#6089 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's a very succinct way to put it.

Unusual for too may pins to use few words! But sometimes something can be said very quickly.

While I am here DON'T FORGET the WHITE ROSE GAMEROOM SHOW this coming weekend if you live anywhere near central PA and want to have some fun. About 200 machines on freeplay - lots of machines for sale (and typically some great deals) - new and used parts vendors & much much more.
Rich (the promoter) is a great guy and works hard to make this show better every year. This year is especially exciting because it is in a new bigger hall at the fairground and Rich has added an indoor flea market area.

#6091 6 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

And here's hoping it ends the hijack. To help us get back on track:
4-pin deal for $1450 in DC area... Monte Carlo (Bally), High Hand (Gottlieb), Fiesta (Playmatic), and Pinball (Stern)
washingtondc.craigslist.org link
-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

Thanks Rob - I hate it when threads get too far off topic. That is why I put the "plug" in for the York Show in my last post. The deal you just posted would be tempting if I didn't already have "too-many-pins"

#6093 6 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

September 29th, correct?

Set up Sept 28th and show opens Sept 29 and runs both 9/29 & 9/30. "Be their or be square" - remember that from many years ago? I don't know why but it just jumped into my head when I was typing. Something I have not heard since the 1970's!

1 week later
#6238 6 years ago
Quoted from remf:

found this on craigslist Atlanta:
Bally Eight Ball Champ selling for $700, but I think that's too high considering the left side and front were painted black. what do you think would be a fair offer for this?
atlanta.craigslist.org link

The problem with that title is they used shitty decals on it from the factory so they always seem to have issues on the cabinets. I sold a decent one a couple years back (some minor cabinet art issues but fully working & shopped) for like $800. I don't remember the exact number but it was between $750 and $900 and I would have called it an 8 or better overall. Not an easy title to buy or sell!

1 week later
#6324 6 years ago

Sadly things are getting way off topic here. Bottom line is there will always be "flippers" in any hobby and that isn't going to change. Those people that do something just to make a quick buck don't see anything wrong with doing that. In some ways I hate them and in other way I wish I could do what they do. But the one thing for sure is they will always be around in any hobby.

I never worry about what someone paid for something I am buying - I just worry about what it is worth to me. Bottom line is I have no control over others actions - the only thing I can control is my actions.

#6331 6 years ago

Like with politics , legalizing weed, abortion, and so many other topics there is really not right or wrong - just different people with different ideas.

Bottom line here is this topic is "PROJECT PINS FOR SALE" not what is "fair or unfair when buying and selling used machines".

So how about we all just agree that this discussion does not belong under this topic and move on?

#6343 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

And ten people who might never otherwise have gotten the chance will enjoy MB. Or not, I can't stand MB, and even if you offered it to me for $500 I wouldn't buy it, because I know I would just sell it again.
Not that I'd say you should sell yours for $500, but if you got it for free, and a fair market price is $6k, consider $5k, or $5500? Pass on a bit of your good fortune.

I don't think that profitting from doing nothing is fair.

Ah yes, the good old 'nothing is right or wrong, morals don't exist, nihilism is the one truth'. So sorry for discussing the buying and selling of project pinballs in the project pinball thread

It is a "Project Pins For Sale" thread not a debate on how much should a seller make on a machine they buy for resale. Flippers who "overcharge" for machines are not here on Pinside reading post complaining about what they do they are out trying to beat the other guy to the next deal.

If we use the logic that sellers shouldn't make a profit then Stern, JJP, and the rest of the people making machines should sell them for what they cost to make and apples should be free because they just grow on trees so farmers shouldn't charge for them!

I am not saying it is right for someone to buy a machine for $300 and turn around and sell it for $1500 without even touching it. What I am saying is that will never change so bitching about it isn't going to help. You want to keep people from doing that DON'T buy what they put up for sale. If they can't sell what they buy they will stop buying at some point. But as long as there is someone willing to pay their inflated prices they will keep doing it.

#6355 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Are you feeling lucky today? Well, are you??
My Spidey-Sense says 'be careful.'
Manufacturer: Gottlieb/Premier
Game/Type: Freddy A Nightmare on Elm Street / SS System 3, 4 Player
Month/Year: October 1994
Production: 2,800
Cost: $500
Contact/Link: allentown.craigslist.org link
Condition: No Pics! OP: "working order in great shape"

If that one doesn't have "SCAM" written all over it I have never seen a scam post!

2 weeks later
#6624 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Too good to be true?
Game/Type: Black Knight / SS System 7, 4 Player
Month/Year: November 1980
Production: 13,075
Cost: $475
Contact/Link: frederick.craigslist.org link
Condition: "At first plug in, the machine does not fully function but we have not yet investigated putting in the basement. It was bought with the intention to fine tune and use for personal use but we no longer have the space."

Story & picture don't seem to match up? Picture looks to be a storage unit and yet they say in listing "putting in the basement". I thought about contacting them the other day but it just didn't "feel right" so I decided to pass on it. Might be a heck of a deal for someone but if it was legit how is it still listed 3 days later?

#6638 6 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Itd be nice if they can be saved. I dont think id have the cash to offer enough and rent 2 uhauls to load up, and pay for storage up here, but i may put in an offer.

I asked for some extra pictures and from the pictures he sent me it looks more like parts than projects. I am known locally as "the guy who will buy anything" and I think these are likely too far gone to even interest me. It is a hard call from just pictures but between the low demand for woodrails (even working woodrails) and the fact that is looks like the renter walked instead of renting a dumpster for most of the stuff I don't see it being worth the drive for me.

There might be a few machines worth saving but unless someone has a ton of energy, cheap space (like an empty barn), and time --- this doesn't look like a good deal to me at any price. If it wasn't a 10 hour drive each way I might consider driving out and taking a look "just in case" but just too far for me to consider so best of luck to who ever takes the plunge!

#6640 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I am local and called Rich and am waiting for a call back. Hard to see if there are any Bally EM’s (my only interest) but will invest the time to take a look if seller calls back. Conversely, if someone does snag this I would interested in there is anything Bally.

If you do end up going over to take a look - check with Rich and see if he is OK with you taking some pictures and posting them here on Pinside. I don't see why he would have an issue with that and it might help him sell the stuff. If you are looking for Bally Woodrails there might be some with all the bodies & heads that are their but if you are looking for machines after the woodrial era I didn't see a one in the 14 pictures he sent me.

I would say 100% for sure there will be nothing solid state and it is highly unlikely there is anything newer than the early 1960's in the lot from the pictures I got from Rich.

Anyway best of luck to whoever follows up on this. I would likely be a buyer for the parts & to salvage what machines could be salvaged if it wasn't a 1000 mile plus round trip for me. But sadly that is just way to far for me to consider with what the pictures looked like to me.

#6641 6 years ago

Anyone in Central PA want a decent looking 1986 Bally Special Force project machine? One of the "flippers" I buy from just dropped one off for me this afternoon and I need $400 for it as it sits. From a quick look playfield looks good and cabinet is nice for that era machine. It has a broken playfield glass so that will take time to clean up, the MPU has some battery damage, and the backglass is lifting all over but not flaking so far. (I call the backglass worm trails with the way the paint lifts it reminds me of worms making trails all over the backglass). Typically I just Mylar over backglasses like that to save the art and they hold up OK. But if you want a nice looking backglass it will need to be replaced.

I don't have time to mess with pictures and I will not sell if for a dime less than $400 - that is what I just paid for it. I am out of space and really don't need it but I never say no to this guy when he contacts me because if I say no he will not call me next time he finds something. If I can't get $400 out of it I'll just clean it up and fix it for Allentown in the Spring.

3 weeks later
#7027 6 years ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

What would you guys offer for an unshopped victory?

I think the last one I owned I paid $350 for and drove about 4 hours (round trip) to get it. It had issues & playfield wear so I ended up selling it instead of fixing it and I think I sold it for $400 (talking about a $25 loss once I figured in fuel cost to pick it up).

#7037 6 years ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

Wow,when was this?look like they go for a pretty penny nowadays,i offered this seller $800 and he wouldn't let it go for less than a grand unshopped.

Probably 3 years ago.

If someone offered me that machine today in nice shape fully shopped I think I would pass at $800. After playing one at one of the shows I didn't find it all that much fun and resale is tough on that era Gottlieb machines. In my eyes your money would be better spent on a Williams System 11 machine.

1 week later
#7147 6 years ago

I can understand both sides of the story and I always try my best to help anyone I can but TIME is a huge issue for me. With everything I always seem to have pulling me in a dozen different directions I am always happy just to find enough time to grab something to eat or get a few hours sleep.

With that said - on the average - I have found picking up a machine (even when it is "fairly local") always seems to take me 3 or 4 hours. Normally my van is sitting loaded so first thing I need to do is make some space somewhere for what is in the van. Next unload the van, then I need to dig up a handtruck (I own 4 or 5 of them but they never seem to be handy). Then drive to sellers house talk a little to seller & load and then drive home. Next thing you know 1/2 a day is gone.

If I added driving 30 to 40 minutes to someplace to get a machine shipped - doing necessary paperwork and driving home it appears to me most of my day would be gone. I just don't have that much time to devote to something these days. Normally I don't even consider making a trip to buy just one machine these days because of the cost of time. I have found out I make out better buying machines in groups to save time (travel & loading time is about the same) so if I can bring home 3 or 4 machines I can grab several machines without costing myself extra time.

I don't even ship machines I am selling because of the time it takes so it would be hard for me to help someone get a machine shipped from my area to them. I know some people have "extra" time but sadly that is not the case for me and most people in the hobby I know are in the same boat. I do understand someone getting frustrated when they can't find someone willing to help get a machine shipped to them but that is asking a lot of most people.

Just my 2 cents on things!

#7157 6 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

I see all these new posts and think there are projects to be had! Oh well, drama has invaded, strange drama at that.
It’s sad to see a valuable asset to the community leave but it’s just as sad to see the reason why. When I post a project machine here it is to help a fellow Pinsider hopefully get a deal, not to get people to feel obligated to help me later. That’s not how paying it forward is supposed to work.
Maybe I am part of the problem. When I post a machine and it get local interest as well as someone who wants it shipped I will go with the local buyer 100% of the time. It just makes sense. I get cash in hand, the buyer gets to look and play the machine before buying it, they transport it and I made another local contact. To turn down cash, take time out of work to get the item shipped, hope it arrives safely and then to hope there is not a contested payment with PayPal if something happens... that’s just a nightmare waiting to happen.

"CASH on the Glass" is the only logical way to buy a pinball machine. Getting involved with shipping has never made sense to me. So I am the same way - you want it you come and get it in person. I don't ship pinball machines regardless. I know some people just don't seem to understand this but it is the only "safe way" for everyone. If you want something - find it locally or be willing to drive - it isn't all that hard to figure out.

#7159 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I would love to have a crack at this one!
Game/Type: Jungle Lord / SS System 7, 4 Player
Month/Year: February 1981
Production: 6,000
Cost: $200
Contact/Link: orlando.craigslist.org link
Condition: "Complete Jungle Lord Pinball Machine.
Barn Find. For sale as is. Has not been plugged in or tested.
All boards and wire harness are present. Batteries in CPU are leaking.
Playfield is in decent shape. Rubbers are melted. Plastics are worthless. Rust and corrosion is present on everything.
Back glass. Hold it up to the sun and it looks like swiss Cheese with barely any cheese.
Cabinet. Head is in decent shape. Bottom cab has delamination on the plywood."

As crazy as it sounds if that was closer to home I would be all over it. I have two Jungle Lord machines waiting for me to make one decent one out of two. With that machine I could likely make 2 out of 3 but I am not going to drive 2000 miles for a $200 machine.

2 weeks later
#7274 6 years ago

One of the few post I visit on a daily bases. I really don't need anymore machines but I can't resist following what is out there for sale and your efforts have made it easy to watch "project" machines from all over the country without spending hours searching them out. Great job to you and everyone who post here.

Topics like this and a bunch of guys working together is what a hobby should be about. Sadly there are way to few of these type topics and way too many "what will be the next new machine released" or "which LED's should I use in these machines" type post here on Pinside. Not everyone has tens of thousands of dollars to toss at a hobby!

Great work & it was my pleasure to be part of this little THANK YOU for you!

#7294 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Lookee what showed up today at Pecos' Palatial Pinball Parlour!
The USPS did a good job shipping such a fragile piece during Christmas rush. Mr. Mailman walked the box up to my door. He said, somewhat interested, "Oh..." when I told him that I restore pinball machines. I then invited him to have a peek inside and got excited when he saw Black Knight! Can't blame him at all. I, too, get excited seeing my beloved Black Knight and Firepower. It was a good sign to see the package intact without any damage.
Pinball Goodness lies within!

Congrats ZNET on the packing job! A box within a box!

Beauty! Gorgeous!

This backglass will remain safely stowed away in the shipping box until I get Queen of Hearts up on its feet and backbox attached. I may be asking for some help putting this backglass in safely. The front wooden frame has been removed from the backbox. Does the backglass go in from the backside of the backbox?
I have handled literally hundreds of backglasses and playfield glass. Never have I had so much reticence about handling a backglass. The Queen is 65 years old!!! She is irreplaceable! I will be handling with the utmost care and reverence for such wonderful piece of Americana.
I am working on three Project Pins right now, Laser Cue, Super-Flite and Liberty Bell, all Williams games. I always try to do that before ordering parts so I can order in bunches sometimes at a discount. Laser Cue is almost finished. When done, I will move Queen of Hearts to the top of the queue. I might even document my work here on Pinside. It should be interesting restoring the Ole Queen. Gottliebs are still a bit of a mystery to me and I have no idea what surprises lay ahead of me when I dig into 1952 era pinball tech! I have eight Gottlieb pins at the PPPP and this would be the first Gottlieb I get working, with a little bit of luck and a lot of patience.
Santa says "Ho Ho Ho!" I say "Hee Hee Hee!" Christmas came early this year and I felt like a kid on Christmas morning opening my gift. It means even more to me knowing the thoughts behind the present.
Words cannot convey how grateful I am for 'The Perfect Christmas Gift' and your kindest of thoughts.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all!

Very nice to see that at your place in one piece! I hate backglasses in the mail --- typically everything ends up OK but it is such a risk when shipping something nearly impossible to replace. Best of luck to you with your machine! I see Clay (VFW) has one so he might be able to answer questions you have once you get working on it.

#7308 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Thank you Forceflow for the kind words and gift. It's always nice to have a moderator in your corner and participating in this thread.

gdonovan, when I see pics of your gameroom it reminds me of the Pecos Palatial Pinball Parlour! A little bit of this and a little bit of that and from the same era as my pins. I hope we can find a few more for you! Thanks for your helping fund the backglass - another reason to think of you when opening up the PPPP.

I always enjoy hearing about the Project Pins found on this thread and I really enjoyed reading your story. I'm looking forward to seeing your new product. Please post it here when you are ready to announce it. So, is that Monte Carlo this thread helped you find the Bally version or the Gottlieb/Premier version? Just curious because I have the Gottlieb/Premier version. I am honored that you helped to donate to the Queen of Hearts backglass fund! Thanks rkahr!

Thank you for your contribution to the backglass. Let me remind others who are new here about this:

@Colson3, @Colson5 when gifting others, would you please find a pin you want but is too far away and do it again. Pretty please? Just for old times sake? It's good to see you posting here again.

Captive_Ball, you have been posting Project Pins here longer than anyone else. There is a lot to be said for consistency and perseverance. I am honored that you were part of this conspiracy! Gato, my cat, has this wonderful habit of yowling until I let her out for food and water - at 4:00 AM! I always check the thread when she wakes me up. when I see a post this early the first thing I think is, Captive_Ball is posting more Project Pins! You of all people deserve part of the praise that others have bestowed upon me.
Rafter Cat Gato in action:
» YouTube video
You have also posted TWO OXOs. Anyone who posts an OXO is extra special in my book! Especially since the supply has seemingly dried up.

You, sir, are a Project Pin Superstar!

SkyKing2301, I will have to work extra hard to find a Project Pin just for you. I would hate to leave you out of all of the fun restoring one of these marvelous machines! Note to self. Look extra hard for Project Pins in Florida for SkyKing2301. Thank you for your support!

bingopodcast, I'm very happy to be a small part of your Robo Frenzy project arcade EM. I restore them. You build them. That is just crazy awesome. I'm so glad that you can provide your bingo expertise here on the Project Pin thread. Not necessary, but so pleased that your name is on the list.

Crispin
I will enjoy restoring the Queen. Thanks to you for helping to make my Christmas so special!

Take her to the latest Star Wars movie and maybe she will say "This might be the pin you are looking for." May the Force be with you!

too-many-pins, I alway smile when I see you posting here. It reminds me of the Monty Python sketch of Mr. Smoke Too Much.
» YouTube video

Hope I am not an 'enabler'! Your Pinside name is appropriate for me too, after two and a half years of finding Project Pins I have too many, but can't resist looking for more! Your "little THANK YOU" is big in my book.

NicoVolta, I'm so glad that I was able to meet you here at Pecos' Palatial Pinball Parlour. I had no idea I had so many Norm Clark designed pins here. You are becoming such a popular celebrity spreading the word how to repair Project Pins that I might have to start regarding you as a VIP! Glad you hang out here. You will have to return one day to the PPPP to see, in person, how you helped put the Queen back on her feet again.

AlexF, I often check to say who has up-voted my posts and more often than not, I see that classic convertible. I am grateful for that and for the present that will help bring this ole Queen back to life. Project Pin friends are awesome!

Thanks Cheddar. And thanks for the Project Pins you have posted here. Did you get that Vector working?

Ballypin, I don't find as many Bally Project Pins as I would like. They are becoming harder to find. Thank you, Darrin, for helping make this backglass a new part of Pecos' Palatial Pinball Parlour. What Bally pins, in particular, are you looking for?
Congrats on picking up the Dogies! That is such an awesome looking game and it has Zipper Flippers! I'm looking forward to reading about your adventure to return this to your gameroom. I lived for quite a while in Forestville, just east of Cincinnati. So I envy your ability to eat a La Rosa's pizza or a Skyline 3-Way!

fingersport, I have to admit that I had to look up your post on this thread. You may be last but you are not least. For those who don't know, fingersport is incognito as Don Bosworth of Pinballs on the Move. Are you still shipping pins? We need a Pinball on the Move out here in the southwest!
Thanks for helping get this Queen of Hearts backglass transported from New Jersey to Arizona.

Matesamo
You began posting Project Pins a year ago and you have helped keep this thread active. Thank you! Lately, you have been posting even more. Is it a coincidence that he began posting Project Pins more often about the same time that bluespin left? I hope you know how much I appreciate your Project Pin posts. Well, if you didn't, you do now!
cyroute, I am a bit embarrassed that I wouldn't remember you, especially after seeing your name on the list of those who gave to 'The Perfect Christmas Gift.' As Grand Pooh Bah of the Project Pin thread, may I officially welcome you to the cavalcade of pins needing some TLC!! Please feel free to join in as you see fit.
SergioJ, hope to see you posting here more often. Thank you for taking the time and money to bring the Queen to it's new home.
Songofsixpence, you have been here forever! You post Project Pins. You sold a Sky Jump for a song. You sold it to Otaku!

And that wasn't the only one. You also posted a Black Belt, a Southern Belle and a Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man. You picked up a Torch and kindly shared pics of it here for us to ogle. You do it all and yet you still wanted to do more by gifting me. Awesomeness in action! Thank you for all you do!
nascarrey, you wanted to contribute AFTER the backglass had been delivered! That means a lot to me. Thank you!!

I like that, alexmogil. I try to keep it fun here.

Now that you mention it shimoda, I could use three Aztec backglasses, one Honey backglass, for a friend, one Liberty Bell backglass, one Royal Flush backglass, one Spanish Eyes backglass and one Super-Flite backglass. JUST KIDDING. Please, no more surpise backglasses in my future! I will be buying these when I win the lottery. Hmmm. I wonder if bgresto gives a discount for buying in bulk. It was very kind to offer up your gift in advance, but this 'Perfect Christmas Gift' should tide me over for at least five years!

uncivil_engineer, hope we can find a Project Pin for you soon! I'm surprised you haven't found one yet if you are visiting daily.

Atari_Daze, thanks for posting Project Pins here. For those of you wondering what his avatar meant:

PinballFever, Pinside member, Salt Lake City, UT. You have my deepest empathies. I can confirm that you live in the driest Project Pin desert in the contiguous U.S. I pop over at the slc Craigslist ads occasionally, but the dearth of pins is deafening. Nevertheless, I will continue looking for you. Thank you for delurking to tell me that you visit here almost daily and for the warm holiday wishes. Be sure to delurk and share with us if you find a Project Pin in Utah! That would be a major accomplishment that I would like to hear about.
zacaj
You only post Project Pins occasionally, but I think that is because you don't post the ordinary. When you do post, you can be sure that it is a super bargain or something very special. Pay attention if one of the pins that zacaj posts is in your area!
bluespin
You may be gone but you are not forgotten. You have found more than one game for your fellow Pinsiders. I'll say it again, you are always welcome back here! I can only hope that we will see you again. You posted the last OXO. Did you know that OXO is my favorite pin? Just Kidding! Of course you know!

There are others, many others, too many to list here. I may have posted the most Project Pins, but this thread wouldn't be much of a thread without all of you who post Project Pins here and participate with your comments.
CactusJack, for example, posts a wealth of knowledge. I always learn something from the information that he so generously shares with us. I will be looking for a Doodle Bug and NOT a Dipsy Doodle because of the information that CactusJack provided.
I wish I could give each of you a gift. For now, the Project Pins I post will have to do. Each time I post I hope that one of you will grab one of these old pins so you can experience the joy of bringing one of them back to life. God willing, I plan to continue to post Project Pins that I find. I will only stop posting if it starts to feel too much like work!
And finally, the two who colluded to bring this surprise to fruition:
ZNET, I was so surprised and thankful when you offered to sell me your original Queen of Hearts backglass for such a nice price. I considered myself very fortunate to have found one so quickly and in such incredible condition. But that wasn't enough! You wanted to pay for shipping! I said that wasn't necessary and that it was more than enough that you were selling the backglass to me and no one else. I asked you to ship it after the holidays. Packages get thrown around a bit more at this time of the year and I wanted this package to arrive safely with the greatest of care. You said that you would get back to me after Christmas. So, I thought something might be up when you asked me for my mailing address before Christmas. I thought that 'something' was you paying for the shipping! So, it was a big surprise when I read Ryan's post stating that so many Project Pinsiders had just paid for the backglass, shipping and all. Yes, it was a huge surprise, just like you 'collusionists' planned it!
RyanClaytor. What can I say?? I could easily write a thousand words about what your participation here has meant to me and how much your friendship has meant to me.
There has been this:

And this:

I did finally find a Project Pin Firepower! That and my Black Knight are my pride and joy SS pins. You know me too well!
I was really excited for you to see that Paul Bunyan in the back of your Project Pin Hauler.

There has been the occasional friendly ribbing of his Williams Jubie:

Now every time I get a GIF in reply to one of my posts from Ryan, I say to myself, "Wow! I've been honored with a Ryan Claytor GIF." I think we will trademark your GIFs on this thread - RyanClaytorGIF TM.
And then I see this crazy post just as I was going to bed saying that a surprise gift was on it's way to Pecos' Palatial Pinball Parlour. With friends like you, Ryan, who cares about enemies! This may be the nicest Christmas present I have ever received. And I thank you all - but it was Ryan's fault!

30 up-votes? That's just crazy! By far the most of any post on this thread. And it's no wonder - so well written! In case you haven't noticed yet, you unlocked another rarely seen Pinside accomplishment:

**WHEW** So many well-wishes from well-wishers. And I didn't even have to croak off to get them!
This may sound crazy, but I feel like part of a family here. That is something special and the best gift of all. All members of my family are invited to Pecos' Palatial Pinball Parlour to see for yourself the beautiful Queen of Hearts backglass that you helped make possible.
Merry Christmas,
Project Pin Grand Pooh Bah "Pecos"

And I thought some of my post were long! I will not ask how long this post took you. Keep up the great work & don't worry too much about too-many-pins! 2018 will be my last year of buying & selling unless something really crazy comes up. I promised my wife when I hit 62 I would stop buying machines and this past May I turned 63. The crazy thing is this year I bought more machines than any other year I have been in the hobby. It will be sometime in 2018 before I finish up with the two warehouse deals I got involved with but after that I really need to focus on selling off the excess.

Most of my buying in 2017 was because of the two warehouse deals (or other ghost from the past) but as far as I know most of that is behind me. We have the collection about where we want it and have been out of space for years (renting 4 storage units beyond what fits into the gameroom & garage). Now it is time to finally decide what stays and what goes. Watch for some machines posted here during 2018 as I lighten the load.

And for those of you who are curious most of what I currently own is in the collection or parts machines (for my used parts business). Don't worry - I do not part out anything worth saving! As I go through the rest of the warehouse find stuff I'll post any "parts" machines I think are worth trying to save here or have them at the Allentown Show this Spring.

I agree with Pecos as far as time spent here. Most of the time I feel like it is an extended family - maybe a dysfunctional family at times - but still family

3 weeks later
#7634 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Manufacturer: Stern
Game/Type: Pinball / SS M-100, 4 Player
Month/Year: September 1977
Production: 1,654
Cost: $375
Contact/Link: york.craigslist.org link
Condition: "Stern Pinball Machine Restored. Machine lights up but does not play. Was restored and worked, it was taken apart to move then put back together and now it won't work."

Contacted this guy yesterday with no reply. Like I really need another machine but it is close to home!

1 week later
#7675 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Also on Craigslist:
philadelphia.craigslist.org link
I see:
Bally Hokus Pokus
Williams Lucky Seven
Williams Straight Flush
Gottlieb Gridiron
Gottlieb Solar City
Game/Type: Mystic Marvel / EM Woodrail, 1 Player
Month/Year: March 1954
Production: 1,050 (!)
Condition:

Game/Type: Globe Trotter / EM Woodrail, 1 Player
Month/Year: November 1951
Production: 910 (!)

Location: Kinzers, (Philadelphia), PA. Saturday January 27th 10:00 AM
Contact/Link: philadelphia.craigslist.org link

As much as I hate auctions (they always waste so much time waiting all day for the few items you are interested in and then someone bids those items to insane prices so you don't end up getting them anyway) I might have to drive over to check this sale out. It is only about an hour from me and I would feel silly not going but I really wish I didn't know about it and then I wouldn't be wasting a day!

Knowing the area my expectations of buying are very low - Lloyd (coinopwarehouse) will have someone their for sure and I know a couple other local guys that will not let anything slip through cheap so before I drive over I already know I don't need to take the truck. But I am curious what parts and stuff are around and maybe one or two of the backglasses might help me save a machine or two. Who knows!

#7702 6 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Back glasses we got:
Bally Eight Ball mint $130
Bally Mata Hari (Dagger writing) mint $150
Gottieb Royal Flush mint $130

Pretty much as I expected - 150 miles driven, 10 hours wasted, and I came home with two small boxes of parts. I am glad you were happy with the backglasses you grabbed!

They listed 75+ backglasses and that was correct but sadly only about 25% of them were nice. And for what they were I thought prices were pretty crazy. Pinball machines sold close to retail and the shelving unit of parts didn't end up at the auction. One of the girls said "we didn't bring that stuff because we didn't know if it would be worth bringing". So there were a total of 8 small boxes of mixed parts and other than a box with a Gottlieb Chime unit in it that went for $75 the rest of the parts were not worth talking about. I knew better but I needed a day off anyway! The good thing is I had a chance to talk to several pinball friends I only see once or twice a year. That was the highlight of the day for me.

#7706 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I was going to drive out also, saw that they had a Hokus Pokus. Anybody know what that went for? Man, I miss mine and want another one of those. Auctions are only worth it if you get good deals, which almost never happens anymore at those things.
I instead chose to meet up with Pete, grab his sweet minty Bon Voyage, and brought the project Space Ship along to pass on to Mike.

I didn't keep notes on what each machine sold for but I think it was north of $500 on Hokus Pokus (maybe like $530 or $540 plus 13% buyers premium or 10% premium if paying in cash). If my memory is correct the only machine selling under $400 was the single player and that went in the mid $300 range (again if my memory is correct).

2 months later
#8233 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I'm working on that with the seller. But want to see it in person before making the purchase. I'm out of the country until Friday though :/ The seller REALLY wants the game to go to someone that wants to restore it. I'm all for it, hardtop and new ramps but does anyone remake the backglass as a translite or vinyl?

I have a used one that is faded but otherwise decent (if my memory is correct) if you happen to be heading to the Allentown pinball show next week or know anyone that is. I don't ship backglasses - it just isn't worth the risk in my eyes but I could bring it along to Allentown.

1 week later
#8303 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Cost: ??
Contact/Link: philadelphia.craigslist.org link
Condition: "I have 9 classic early SS and the 2 most produced Bally EMs pinballs, looking to sell as 1 lot. All of them cycle up and serve a ball. Most work 100% and a few need adjustments. All have very nice playfields with most having factory mylar on them. Cabinets and backglasses look nice as well. I have owned over 100 pinball machines over the years and kept my favorites. Not looking to give them away as I know their value and will sell separately if I don't get what I want as a lot. Serious buyers only need reply!!
The list is as follows:
Sinbad
Paragon
Rollingstones
Space Invaders
Xenon
Firepower
Elecktra
EBDLE
Vector
Wizard
Captain Fantastic"

The price the seller gave me on those was $16,500 for the lot. The pictures he sent me showed slightly better than "average" condition machines. Some playfield wear - cabinet fade - etc. Not a "bargain" in my eyes but who knows as crazy as prices have gotten lately!

2 months later
#9237 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Pinball machine collection - $12000

OP: Selling a large pinball machine collection. There are 22 machines. At one time all machines ran. These are in good condition and have been in storage for several yrs. Here is a list of the machines. Roy Clark table model, bally heavy hitter, Congo bongo sega, donkey kong, williams upperdeck, super shot, Mars god of war, sprint driving, midway midnight, marauders, haunted house, soccer kings, baby pac man, gottlieb pinball, black knight, burger time, super pac man, Williams scorpion, Monte carlo, up'n down, call Ron for more details

I love descriptions like this "At one time all machines ran." At one time a "junk car" ran also! It is like saying "years ago these were new"! Words that take space and really say nothing?

1 week later
#9461 5 years ago
Quoted from FelixTCat:

Woodrail collection in NJ, Facebook group.

These were from the final Silverman's Collection auction back in September of 2014. The guy also has them listed on Craig's List ( as a lot of 21 machines) but would not get back to me with a price on the lot. I think once he found out I knew about the Silverman's auction he realized he wasn't going to be able to "hook me" on machines he paid a few dollars each for a few years ago. I don't mind guys buying stuff to make a profit but if you list something for sale at least reply to emails when people ask for a bottom line price.

Anyway - if you are interested be sure to do your homework - prices realized can still be seen on Morphy's Auctions web site.

#9528 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

At these prices, isn't he taking himself for a ride?
Seller also has a Grand Prix with a really clean playfield for $400:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1620236304751349
and a Gottlieb Swing Along for $250:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1620236304751349
I'll dispatch one of my followers (who lives in Chicago) to check these out. Have you been to visit our friend with the four storage units in PA lately?

Colson is suppose to come out and "visit" one of these days when he picks up the Dracula I have been holding for him since the Allentown Show. As I tell everyone interested in talking pinball, looking at or buying machines, selling machines, etc "if you are headed past and I am around I am always happy to hang out with other pinball guys that have some time".

I'll be listing a dozen or so "project" machines and finished machines in the marketplace over the next couple weeks (unless they sell first). I might also be interested in selling off a few dozen "parts machines" if anyone is interested in a storage unit (or two) full of parts machines. Most of the "parts machines" are woodrails or EM's too far gone to restore. Tons of great parts but I'll never have time to get everything listed so I might just sell some machines off to save some rent money if anyone is interested. Not much (if any) Gottlieb stuff in the mix as far as parts machines go. Mostly Williams, Exhibit, Genco, United, etc. - bodies without heads, heads without bodies, semi complete machines with no backglasses, etc.

1 week later
#9723 5 years ago
Quoted from Coffin:

Thanks Pecos! It's really hard to stay away from the thread at this point.
I read your background story earlier and noticed that you advised against taking on a System 80 as a project pin. Well... i did exactly that with my Gottlieb/Mylstar The Games as my very first project. Maybe i got lucky with this one. Only the backbox lights came on when i picked it up. It is entirely functional now with only a few minor things to track down (couple of stubborn playfield lights not working and a pop bumper randomly firing sometimes). I thoroughly enjoyed troubleshooting the issues on it and part of the fixes involved circuit board repair on the sound board (replaced a 7404 because the CPU wasn't getting the reset signal). I also love the game play and skill shots required for it. I think it's a very underrated game.

I just need to continue to reassure my wife that i will be fixing up and reselling what i can, and not keeping every project i pick up.

The trick is selling just enough to keep the wife happy until you are totally out of space. Then at that point you have to sell one for every one you buy anyway.

As far as starting with a System 80 machine -- as long as the ground demons don't get you they are really no worse than any other project machine. Just remember if a System 80 does not have "ground mods" and is having issues the FIRST thing you want to do is do the ground mods. If it works OK without them great but if not do the mods first and save yourself some time down the road.

#9726 5 years ago

Free BIG STRIKE in Tuscon, AZ posted in FOR SALE here on Pinside about 12 hours ago. Why is that not long gone? Might have been listed here before but I just discovered it about 5 minutes ago when looking at current post on forum.

#9800 5 years ago
Quoted from FelixTCat:

I need another project pin like I need another hole in my head but here I go again !

Join the club! We are all a bunch of sick hoarders but such is life! Better having an extra project or two then having to overpay for one when your supply runs low.

#9804 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Skip,
You should change your avatar to too-many-storage-units

I just gave you an up vote on that one! I was working on trying to get down to 4 units before Winter but with a record amount of rain last month and heat index near 100 degrees the days it wasn't raining I think that project is now pushed back till Fall.

I am getting "better" about my buying habits though - in the past 2 or 3 weeks I have passed up at least a dozen machines I thought were great deals including a couple I would have really liked to add to the collection for a while. Other than my warehouse deals and my trip to Texas this Spring for a van & trailer load of stuff I really have not bought much in the past 18 months and I am trying to keep it that way. I am still looking just not emailing or calling people until I get some stuff gone. But I do have to say it hasn't been easy!

#9811 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I think you’re king of that land Skip!

Damn John beat me to it.

Looking at another road trip for another load of machines. I have to be totally out of my mind!

I have not told my wife yet but if I am not on Pinside for a while it might be because she finally killed me or beat me to near death.

#9877 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Game/Type: Space Shuttle / SS
Year: December 1984
Production: 7,000
Cost: $942
Link/Contact: albany.craigslist.org link
OP: 1984 SPACE SHUTTLE Pinball
Needs a little attention.
Very Patriotic.
For the SPACE FORCE lovers.

Love no picture of playfield and nice barn storage. Nothing a little Windex will not fix!

#9888 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

No pics and with all of those mice in there it sounds like a real crap shoot!

I always love the ones the mice are still living in. Nothing like having company on the ride home!

#9927 5 years ago

I don't understand the "lack of love" for Magic and the low selling price compared to other Classic Bally & Stern machines? This is a fairly low production machine you don't see come up for sale often yet no one seems to care about it? Or at least the "average selling price" indicates no one cares about it.

2 weeks later
#10276 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Game/Type: Playboy / SS 4 Player
Month/Year: December 1978
Production: 18,250
Cost: Current Bid $455
Link/Contact: ebay.com link » Playboy Pinball Machine
OP: Bally Playboy pinball machine, the machine is not working however, all lights work when plugged in, a professional repairman diagnosed the repairs to get it running and the estimated cost is $800.00 also, the front board is not mounted it was removed by the repairman for diagnosis but not reattached. The machine stopped working eight months ago I can reassure you that the machine is complete with no missing parts and worked great when I used it and is in very good shape cosmetically. No shipping

He doesn't say anything about the $200 worth of displays that are missing?

#10289 5 years ago
Quoted from FelixTCat:

I thought that as well at first and then I realized that he was holding the backglass (his hand is in the upper left corner) upright in front of the backbox so the display holes are not aligned with the displays. I think he's talking about the backglass when he says "the front board was removed" and just doesn't know how to put it back in.

I didn't notice that! The next question I would have is what is up with the mouse trap on the playfield? Why would someone leave that when taking pictures?

2 weeks later
#10556 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

too-many-pins Do you have a cabinet head for a Skylab or a head to an em with similar internal mechs?

I was actually wondering the same thing. I don't think so but I'll be moving a ton of stuff around over the next couple weeks so I will keep my eyes open for one.

3 weeks later
#10727 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

ebay.com link » Airborne Avenger Pinball Machine
what a feedback score:[quoted image][quoted image]

This is Bill from Jumble Amusements if any of you remember him. I know because a couple of the machines for sale were machines he bought off me years ago. I don't know if Jumble Amusements was the actual name he used before but it was something like that.

1 week later
#10815 5 years ago

I took a Gottlieb Volcano in on trade at the York Pinball Show this weekend and it isn't really a machine I want or need to mess with. I allowed the guy $700 trade value on the machine he wanted so I would like to get around that out of it if anyone is interested before we start working on it.

Kind of a hard one to describe so I'll say the goods are a pretty nice playfield and it did boot and somewhat play but had issues.

The bad is it was stored somewhere damp and cabinet isn't great plus backglasses are just OK at best.

The sad thing is the guy I got it from spent a ton of time hand painting the cabinet and his paint job looks great - what is a shame about that is -- he wasted that time on an otherwise rough cabinet. As far as backglasses got they don't look all that bad but do have some flaking.

No pictures yet since it is still in my trailer but if anyone is interested I should be able to get pictures in a day or two.

Would be a great shop or garage machine but not something to add to your high end collection!

#10833 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I took a Gottlieb Volcano in on trade at the York Pinball Show this weekend and it isn't really a machine I want or need to mess with. I allowed the guy $700 trade value on the machine he wanted so I would like to get around that out of it if anyone is interested before we start working on it.
Kind of a hard one to describe so I'll say the goods are a pretty nice playfield and it did boot and somewhat play but had issues.
The bad is it was stored somewhere damp and cabinet isn't great plus backglasses are just OK at best.
The sad thing is the guy I got it from spent a ton of time hand painting the cabinet and his paint job looks great - what is a shame about that is -- he wasted that time on an otherwise rough cabinet. As far as backglasses got they don't look all that bad but do have some flaking.
No pictures yet since it is still in my trailer but if anyone is interested I should be able to get pictures in a day or two.
Would be a great shop or garage machine but not something to add to your high end collection!

I listed the Volcano here on Pinside yesterday in the Marketplace. There are a couple dozen pictures in that listing if anyone is interested in seeing pictures of the machine. We were playing it some yesterday and issues kept coming & going so I am thinking doing the ground mods might fix most of the issues with it. Right flippers would work sometimes and not others, pop bumpers would work then not work, etc. Overall boards look decent so I don't think this one will take a ton of work but we just don't have time or space for it.

1 week later
#10916 5 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

I know prices have changed over the years but I can't imagine paying that for a Black Hole or a Haunted House. I've owned Black Hole twice. I like the game. I've never owned a Haunted House. I know it's not relavant because it's from the past but I paid $500 for my Black Hole in 2011. I just can't believe that this game is now 5 to 6 times more expensive than it was 7 years ago. Ok, ok, I know, I'm the old-man in the group but man, Black Hole, as great as it is, is not a $3,000 game.

When I first got into the hobby about 10 or 11 years ago both Black Hole and Haunted House were typically selling for between $1000 and $1500. Then 5 or 6 years ago prices on those machines seemed to drop off a good bit for some reason and all of a sudden Black Hole was a $1000 machine at best with Haunted House slightly higher at the time. Now I see both Black Hole and Haunted House bringing in excess of $2000 on a regular bases.

In my eyes - looking at current pinball prices for some of the classic machines - $2000 to $2500 is about spot on where either of these two titles should be if they are working and in good overall condition. I don't see either as a $3000 machine but I also think they are better than a $1500 machine with today's pinball market.

With all of that said I would have a hard time paying in excess of $1500 for either in non working condition regardless of how nice they were cosmetically.

1 month later
#11224 5 years ago

I have the two machines listed in an earlier post here still for sale in Central PA (Carlisle PA to be exact) as well as a couple other project machines we would like to sell before Winter.

Projects I have include:

Laser War $900
Comet $550
Flash $400
and maybe a Jungle Lord

1 week later
#11323 5 years ago

Manufacturer: Data East
Game/Type: Torpedo Alley / SS
Year: January 1988
Production: 1,002
Cost: $900
Pinsider: shacklersrevenge
Link/Contact: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/72513

Picking this one up for Colson tomorrow night while I am in Mass. dropping off a couple other machines. Always nice to make a trip both ways loaded (or partly loaded). Three machines & some parts headed 400+ miles north then 1 machine & some parts headed south on Saturday when I return home.

2 weeks later
#11394 5 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

Anyone have a System 9-11 or a Data east from the same era that's broken and taking up space? im looking for a project/projects.

I have a Comet sitting here that has a badly worn playfield (perfect for one of those new hardtops) and is missing the MPU & power supply boards. I need $450 firm for it. I had it listed in the marketplace as sale pending for almost a month them my buyer fell through the day before I was suppose to deliver it to him. He still wants the machine but he is about 700 miles south of me and I already made my only southern delivery run last week. I emailed him to finalize things and he didn't get back to me in time for me to include it in that load of stuff heading South. So it is still sitting here if you are interested.

While I had it listed as sale pending I got several other emails about it but by the time the original deal had fallen apart those other guys had disappeared also.

#11399 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Hi all,
I have a Charlie's Angels in NJ. I haven't gotten deep into it, but it's definitely a project. Missing CPU and driver board. BG has quite a bit of flaking, could probably use some cabinet work too.

What kind of money do you need for it? If it is cheaper and head is decent I might be interested. I think I have a headless body if my memory is correct.

#11401 5 years ago

Here I go again - spending time and money trying to make junk into a whole machine. But that is what the hobby is all about. Thankfully I am down to my last couple headless bodies and I have a couple super nice playfields I am looking for machines that have trashed playfields in them to drop those playfields into then I'll be done trying to save some of my junk!

#11409 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

What headless bodies and trashed playfields might you be willing to part with?

Normally I have dozens of "trashed playfields" around if anyone is local or passing by and needs some of those. Most are EM & woodrail stuff with an occasional earlier SS in the mix. Typically I sell them to a guy in Western PA about 40 at a time for $10 each once I have all the parts off them but that only happens about once a year so basically I am always just making piles of playfields as I pull the parts off them waiting until the next time I get together with my regular guy who takes all I send him.

90% (or more) of those playfields are wall art at best - it is rare for me to part out a playfield that can be saved. Normally anything worth saving I just set aside populated and try to find a machine that needs it. Right now I have a very nice Buck Rogers & a pretty nice Gottlieb Pioneer sitting here waiting for someone to need them or a machine that needs them.

I also have a Bally Playboy body with no head and a Close Encounters body with no head if anyone local has heads for those and wants to put a machine together from parts.

#11415 5 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

That game has been for sale for quite a while. Looks like he might have overpaid for the project and is now hoping he'll get his money back from it. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.
In addition, while the boards may have issues, there might be other issues with the displays or wiring/connectors, etc. Basically, there could be a lot of work that needs to be done which quickly makes this project game a money pit.
I'm sure it'll eventually sell but he may have to take less than he's asking for.

I just sold a nice fully working one with full LED's for $850 so I just don't see anywhere near $650 as a good price for a project. It took me almost 3 months to sell a fully working Flash for not much more money.

1 month later
#11665 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Hell yes! Lots of good parts there.
LEP man special!

I don't know about good parts on that one. I have salvaged parts from lots of nasty machines - many looking worse than that - but without it having a playfied glass to protect things I don't know how much you will be able to salvage from this one.

Still worth a drive for someone local but I wouldn't expect to salvage a lot from it.

#11687 5 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Not worth it. Game only brings in 3 or 400 working

I know I have never had much luck selling that title at any price. Machine is worth $250 in parts so seller is not asking a crazy price for it or anything. Sadly it just isn't a title that is worth putting time & money into. That is likely why the boards were pulled & used in another machine.

#11691 5 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Its really not a bad game though. Not the best game, but still fun.

I think the issue with a lot of these less popular machines is the art package. I never could bring myself to keep machines like Raven, Hard Body, Spring Break, World Cup, etc in the collection because the art just didn't do anything for me. I actually really enjoy playing most of them but you have to be looking at the art to play them so I do understand the lack of love.

#11715 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

This is the same title that seller in CA was trying to sell. Rare title and looks like it might be fun to play

I sold a really nice one at Allentown a couple years ago for less money. I don't know what it might be worth but according to Boston Pinball two sold for under $400 each in the past. It is a title you don't see come up for sale often and art is pretty interesting but does anyone really care? Playmatic machines are tough to find parts for and I am a parts guy.

I just looked at my records & I sold mine in 2015 for $300. Looking back it surprises me how cheap we were selling just 3 years ago. I am paying more for machines now then I was selling most of them for back then.

3 weeks later
#11857 5 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

just the frustration of always getting 'pending pickup'. Hard to work and find these things... might be better off with a different hobby. Love to work on machines, probably more than even playing and I love that so not getting these projects is a kind of endless frustration, like stepping on a rake over and over and over and over. There's an episode of the Simpsons that I'm thinking of...

Sadly it is only going to get worse. The days of "warehouse deals" and cheap machines for sale on Craig's List & other venues is pretty much long gone. We have only been in the hobby about 10 years and things have gone from picking up 3 or 4 machines some weeks to being lucky to find that many in a year.

One of my "sources" for machines is a local "flipper" that runs ads in our local papers. (He doesn't even own a pinball machine yet he is constantly buying and flipping them). Anyway 5 or 6 years ago I would get so many calls from him I didn't know where to go with the stuff. I didn't want to say no to him for fear he would start contacting someone else. So I started selling off trailer loads of project machines at near my cost just to keep stuff moving. At times I would take a $50 or $100 loss on a machine and other times I might make $100 on one. (One day I actually took time to figure it out and it typically worked out that I would make about $200 on a load of 8 to 12 machines.

Anyway - I got my first call from him in over a year last week. Not for a machine but he wanted to know if I wanted to buy a load of "junk" jukeboxes & some pinball parts he was headed to look at. I love parts so that is fine but no machine? So when I hooked up with him I asked him who he has been selling stuff to lately and he replied "no one but you". Then he proceeded to tell me in the past 18 months he had only bought two machines and sold those to to friends or family members. This is a guy I was buying 35 to 50 machines from every year for about 5 or 6 years. Now he is finding one every 8 or 9 months!

So that gives you some idea how tough it is to buy these days.

#11861 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I've been saying for years the price increases can't sustain but they continue to prove me wrong. So I just sit on what I have or occasionally trade within the community of hobbiests in my area.

In a free market society price is nothing more than a measure of supply & demand. As long as demand keeps going up and supply isn't being increased prices will continue to go up.

Some people argue "with all the new pins coming onto the market prices are sure to drop" but even if they are correct and prices do adjust because of increased supply this will only change the $5000+ market and will likely have very little impact on lower priced SS machines & EM's.

Right now Classic Bally and even some Classic Williams machines are on fire. Some more common Bally titles your couldn't sell for $500 a couple years ago are bringing double to triple that amount in today's market. Machines like Silverball Mania, Six Million Dolly Man, Supersonic, etc have really jumped in price recently.

4 months later
#13014 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Curious what extra parts you guys keep "in stock."
I've got bumper components, balls, some extra LEDs, a few rollover switches, connectors, some 18 and 22 gauge wire, new light sockets for inside the bumpers, ball launch springs, some miscellaneous inserts...it helps that I like Williams and Bally pins that are from the eighties...lots of common parts...
Also have a bunch of different fuses also...

Don't Ask - My parts inventory is in excess of 50 complete (or semi complete) parts machines, dozens of populated playfields, bins & boxes of parts that would likely fill up an average one car garage and too many bulbs & fuses to even talk about. Packed tight I could probably completely fill a two car garage with parts!

To be fair I do sell parts on eBay as a small part time business so not all of this stuff is for my personal use but it all started with a few bins of parts for our use. Once I realized I had more stuff than I could ever use I started selling the excess. Next thing you know I am in the pinball parts business.

Just for the record - I am getting too old for all of this so the parts & business are up for sale if anyone is interested. I have a couple posts here on Pinside about it as well as the business listed for sale here on Pinside. If anyone wants a nice part time business & a lifetime of spare parts drop me an email. I need $25,000 for everything and if you sell at the same rate I sell parts, doing it part time you could have 100% of your money back in about 8 months and still have 95% of the parts.

1 week later
#13138 4 years ago
Quoted from WeLoveScott:

Does anyone in the north east have a project or players High Speed to sell for around $800?

Maybe 3 years ago. These days a project High Speed is closer to a $1200 machine on a good day and maybe more depending on how bad owner wants to sell one and how bad buyer wants it. The days of any System 11 under $1000 are pretty much long gone. You might find a Road Kings for under $1000 in rough shape but I think that would be the only System 11 that still can be found under $1000

#13140 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Road kings and millionaire go low...but not much else.

I knew there was a second System 11 I was forgetting Millionaire is worse than Road Kings as far as resale. Sadly those two machines make great donor machines for transformers, boards, and other parts. Road Kings isn't all that bad of a machine to play but it still just doesn't get much action when you are trying to sell one.

#13252 4 years ago

I question whether you can really salvage a ton of value out of there given the work needed

People who have never parted out machines can't even begin to realize how much work is involved. Then once you get to a certain point, as far as condition goes, it just becomes a waste of time. Yes you can grab a few good parts off almost anything but sometimes it really just isn't worth the effort.

Something like that pile of junk falls into that category from what I can see with the pictures. I have "saved" a bunch of parts off some pretty rough machines but even if those were free I think I would pass on them.

#13256 4 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

The problem I run into is that since I treat this as a hobby, I would keep what I want/need and sell the other stuff.....but i wouldn't count my labor time into the equation. If you count your time at even $10 per hour, many projects like this would never be worth it.

Since I semi retired a few years ago I part out machines and sell the parts on eBay trying to help people save other machines. If I was able to make $10 an hour at it I would be overjoyed but it isn't about money to me - to me it is about helping people save these great old machines.

I currently have my "parts business" up for sale not because of the lack of profits but because my "buck list of things I want to do" is a lot longer than I have years on this earth. I think someone doing things "right" could likely make $25 to $40 an hour parting out machines but it would take a decent amount of space and good organizational skills to "do it right". I have the "systems in place" to make it profitable I just don't have the time or energy to get things that organized.

#13259 4 years ago

I doubt if anyone in the hobby loves saving "junk" anymore than I do and I am fairly sure there is no one else investing the time in saving junk that I invest every week. I do agree there is a good bit of value to pretty much any pile of pinball junk but at some point "junk" is junk and just isn't worth the effort.

I can tell you with 100% certainty there is over $1000 worth of parts in those two piles of junk the seller was selling. The question is would the time and effort spent on saving that stuff be better spent on parts starting out in just a little better condition.

In the end it really all depends on what value you put on your time and if you care about rust & corrosion on parts you are salvaging. It is rare for me to sell rusted up junk but I do use parts from rusted up junk to repair better assemblies.

I guess the "bottom line" at this point is someone fairly local must have seen the value in those parts because they were taken down shortly after they were posted here. I just hope the buyer takes the time to save as much as possible and doesn't just harvest the few quick & easy to grab more valuable parts and toss the rest in the trash.

#13312 4 years ago

Not project machines and not mine but I figured I would post there here anything just in case someone local to central PA might be looking for either of these titles. A local guy I buy machines from once in a while has a couple pretty nice EM's he is going to be selling shortly. One is a Gottlieb Jumping Jack & the other is a Bally On Beam.

Both looked much better than average and he is working on shopping both of them out right now. He didn't give me an exact price on either but I think they could likely be bought for around $600 to $650 each. When looking quickly at them yesterday both looked to have pretty nice playfields and nice backglasses. Since they were not for me I didn't spend a lot of time looking them over but with a quick look they both looked very nice.

If you have any interest in knowing more about these drop me a PM and I'll figure out how to proceed. I didn't tell him I was going to post these so I would need to contact him before I gave out his contact info. He is not an internet guy so it would most likely take a phone call to get something underway with him.

#13336 4 years ago

Now you’re making me nervous.
If there’s a Pinsider who’s also interested in those rough EMs on eBay that are only 25 minutes from my house, PM me now cuz I’m gonna be pissed if someone bids them up stupid high. We can work together

I was going to try and talk my wife into a road trip until I saw you were interested in them. She has been wanting to go up to Cog Railroad again and they would have been along my path on the way up or home. I really don't need them but figured what the heck if I can write 1/2 my trip to Cog Railroad off as a business expense (because of picking up 2 machines) it would be worth buying them just for the business write off. The "write off" would have amounted to about $375 saving me about $100 in taxes next year so they would have been worth buying just for that.

Anyway - best of luck - hopefully you end up with them cheap. Thanks for saving me from having to explain to my wife "we have to buy these because they will save me money". Especially when I don't even have room to unload my trailer to get it ready to start loading for the York Show yet.

#13345 4 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

He got the Ro Go one for $10 and missed out on the Jungle King. So close!

I was going to bid on both but I already have plenty of parts machines around. Both buyers got a hell of a deal because seller got back to me and said they have lock bars for both machines. Sadly I got that message after auctions ended or I would have been tempted to make the drive. The Gottlieb lock bar is worth close to $100 all by itself and the Bally is worth at least $50

When I found out a couple other Pinsides closer to them wanted them I walked away but I would have had a harder time doing that had I known lock bars were their for both machines. GREAT SCORE!

#13393 4 years ago

Wow that’s extremely close to me... I’m a little creeped out
Why are all these projects coming up suddenly in my immediate area?!

Grab them when you can!

I always say you can always sell something if you decide you don't really want it but you can't buy it if it is already sold & gone. So pretty much anytime I see a deal I buy the idea - then I figure out if I really need it or if I should just pass it along to someone else. I learned this 50 years ago when I was heavy into Lionel trains. I would come home from a show regretting not buying something and be pissed at myself for weeks. Then I realized if I had just bought that item I could have always sold it if I decided I really didn't want or need it. So what if I took a few dollar loss (or made a few dollars) it wasn't about that. It was all about being sure I didn't pass up something I might not be able to buy again.

Back in those days there was no internet so sometimes you would only see something "once in a lifetime". Now RARE is defined as something you don't see listed on eBay every week! But I still buy more than I need just to be sure there are no regrets. My wife hates in but as long as the bills get paid she lives with it. She never worries about the money I spend because she knows I'll make more to cover what I spend. But she hates stuff taking up space especially since my storage rents are sometimes flirting with $500+ a month. But at my age I am not going to change!

#13397 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I think you sold your point, then turned a 180 and sent a warning!

That was kind of my idea. It can be a "slippery slope" but I still think it is worth the risk in most cases.

My main advice to anyone in any hobby is to set limits. For example if you are limited on space and need to rent storage limit yourself to one unit. Once that unit is full sell some before you buy more. When it comes to the money end of things never spend more than you have extra once bills are paid. Etc! Everyone's limits will be different but set those limits right up front.

As far as "my limits" - I never keep more project machines around then what will fit in one side of our garage. I also look at our "stash" of project machines several times a year to make sure we are not hanging on to stuff that we no longer want to add to the collection. Then I sell off excess projects & parts at Allentown & York Shows just trying to keep things somewhat rational.

Renting storage is the result of me being involved with selling pinball parts and all the space having a selection of parts machines requires. At times I regret getting involved in the "parts business" (mostly because of the cost of storage) but I love helping people so I quickly realize in the end it is all worth it.

1 week later
#13555 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Starring Danny Tanner as Rudy.

Fullhouse not Funhouse

#13609 4 years ago

Anyone close to Central PA want a "project" Evel Knievel for a decent price. The "shame" with this machine is the playfield was replaced back in around 1980 and when the vendor replaced the playfield they varnished to so it would hold up better. Now 40 years later the playfield has yellowed varnish all over it. Under that varnish the playfield looks great so the varnish did the job the operator wanted it to do but it sure looks nasty now.

Backglass is nice, cabinet is "fair" to decent but missing the neck and I am sure machine will need board work or an MPU after sitting in a warehouse for years. There is more to the story but I can share the rest with anyone interested in it. Sadly I am into it too deep (around $1200) so I likely need too much for it because of the varnish on the playfield but I figured I would offer it here just in case anyone was interested. Any serious offer close to what I have invested will own it. If it doesn't sell before hand it will be at the York Show in a few weeks.

#13628 4 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Thanks for the heads up. His has lacquer on it that yellowed. Not sure I can tackle this.

We had already talked before I posted I could bring it to the York Show. I know it isn't a machine for everyone but it is going to take a "specific buyer" with the varnish on the playfield. It is better than playfield wear in a way but it really kills it for anyone looking to end up with anything but a "players quality" machine.

#13667 4 years ago
Quoted from steviechs:

From Mr. Pinball classifieds:
Six project machines, 1980 Various: 100
Pinball Pool $400, Cleopatra $400, Totem $600 works has new Ni-Wumpf CPU and power supply, Bally Monte Carlo no backglass $200, Williams Satin Doll $300, Gottlieb Buckaroo no backglass needs new bottom $100. Pictures available.
Mike Tolley Phone: (540) 461-3519
[email protected], Lexington, Virginia 24450

I have seen the pictures of these and have talked to Mike about them. Totem is probably the best of the bunch condition wise and Cleopatra would likely be second best but the extremely hard to find center plastic is missing on the Cleopatra and the cabinet art is weak so that one is questionable especially when it also has some paint loss on the backglass. The other 4 are really more "parts" then projects but as always some people will try to save machines really not worth the time & effort.

I have some interest in 3 or 4 of them as parts machines but am having a hard time justifying the drive to grab them.

#13719 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Game/Type: High Speed / SS
Year: January 1986
Production: 17,080
Cost: $600
Seller: Erik Johnson
Link/Contact: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/529722011130743/
OP: Good used condition. 1986 original High Speed pinball. Needs a little t.l.c. Everything in pretty good working condition.. Could use new flippers and rubbers. (Ebay)? Must pick up and haul. (Not light) Serious inquiries only..
Me: Wish it were closer!

Decent looking machine for that money!

#13781 4 years ago

FS: Populated Playfields $ 60 (OBO) Raleigh, NC By robertmee

These are just playfields posted here on Pinside. I know they are not project machines but they might help a project machine live on!

#13804 4 years ago

This thread is kind of getting derailed! Please keep it to "project machines" - not fully working machines. Also if you want to waste time debating value this isn't the place for that either. Not my rules but that is what OP asked for the other day when someone posted one of Clay's machines that was fully working and for sale at a decent price.

#13819 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/84232

$400 project World Cup here on Pinside a few hours ago. Looks like a pretty nice machine for the money if you don't mind the theme.

#13877 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Yeah but no doubt the flipper tried to talk the seller down on price before he immediately turned around and listed it for 3x.

People will also try to talk the "flipper" down from his asking price. I don't agree with doing shit like this but as long as there are people with some time and money to do it things will never change. There are "flippers" in every hobby and that is just the facts of life.

Everyone is looking to make a buck and you can't fault people for that. When you go to work you expect to get paid! A 'flippers" work is buying & flipping stuff and they want to get paid for that effort also. On the other had buying something on a site then listing it for 3 times as much on the same site a day later just shows no class. At least wait a week or two and list it on a different venue!

Hopefully anyone who realizes what happened will just pass him by and he will have his money tied up for a while. Then he might think twice about doing it again but typically those guys always seem to make out somehow?

#13929 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Someone else offer $45[quoted image]

Looks like he found a "fish" that listing now says sold? Hopefully someone didn't pay too much for that machine. The original $150 seems high after seeing the water damage.

#14039 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

$250 for a rare Alvin G. Pin. Dinosaur Eggs. Less than 100 ever shipped. Dinosaur theme! Not mine

I would be all over this just because it is different but this weekend I don't have "an extra pair of hands". Anyone in the area looking for some exercise?

#14049 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I live just down the street from the seller. Good guy. I can help haul out of basement but I'm not available until Sunday morning.

I emailed them about it but have not gotten a return email yet so I am assuming it might already be sold. If I do end up hearing from them (or if you happen to talk to them) I am seriously interested and would gladly pay you to give me a hand getting it up into my van.

#14121 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Twenty Grand woodrail
york.craigslist.org link

I was expecting to see a woodrail listed for $20,000 not realizing that was the name of the machine. My first thought was why would someone past a machine listed for $20,000 on this thread.

#14142 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Could be a great price on that Beat The Clock. I do want one. However, did you see the front door? Whoo. Could be a real rust bucket inside.
https://www.proxibid.com/Art-Antiques-Collectibles/Collectibles/Williams-Beat-the-Clock-Pinball-Machine-Chicago-IL/lotInformation/49929379

I wouldn't let the fact that it looks like it was sitting outside for twenty years worry you!

1 week later
#14329 4 years ago

I keep watching this topic and I have gotten a few machines doing that but today I got to thinking in might make sense for me to reach out to other Pinsiders here also. If you live close to Central PA or are headed to the York Pinball Show in a couple weeks I am always in the market for "junk" pinball machines. Stuff too far gone to save -- blown out playfields, machines that sat outside or in a barn, heads without bodies, bodies without heads, etc.

Basically looking for "cheap" parts machines if anyone wants to clean house. Also stuff like populated playfields, boxes of parts, etc.

What do I consider "cheap" - rough woodrails $100 (or less) if local, EM's $150 to $250 depending on title and how complete, etc.

I have plenty of parts machines right now but I never mind adding more. So if you have stuff sitting just talking up space you would like to see gone feel free to drop me a PM & we can talk.

#14333 4 years ago
Quoted from MD_Pinball_Dude:

Local to me: Gottlieb 1955 ATLAS EM ..

Decent deal if someone is looking for an earlier Gottlieb multi player machine but no backglass on the one and bad backglass on the other kind of kills the value on them. I would think something in the $350 to $400 range would be better for what they are but to each his own!

#14338 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

It is a two-fer!!

Nothing times nothing is still nothing. Unless someone is looking for this title $500 for two of them is pushing the price point in my opinion. Someone might see it differently but no backglass kind of kills the value and when someone says paint flaking on a backglass and doesn't show a picture of that backglass you might as well assume no backglass.

2 weeks later
#14637 4 years ago

I just picked up a very nice ON BEAM pinball machines from a "flipper" I do business with from time to time. He spent time & money shopping it out and had his repair guy do some work on it to get it working 100% but one of the "cams" on the reset bank was broken and the guy that fixed the machine tried gluing and taping it. Well that lasted a few plays before it broke again.

Anyway when he found out I didn't have the parts in stock for him to fix it he offered to sell me the machine and "cut his losses". Before I move this to the basement to work on it over the Winter if anyone wants it and can grab it this weekend $375 CASH will buy it. I really don't need any more projects but on the flip side this thing is so nice I couldn't pass it up. We are headed out of town next week for 6 weeks so it needs to go this weekend or I'll have it moved to the heated basement before we head on vacation and just fix it when I get home.

Located in Carlisle, PA (Just off I-81 about a mile from exit 45 or 47 midway between the exits) - no time to deal with pictures - just looking for a quick sale or I'll keep it. As far as I know all it should need is one nylon cam installed.

I just pulled this machine up on IPDB and found out the "later run" didn't have Mushroom Bumpers and this one is serial number 2325 with stationary targets not mushroom bumpers of that matters to you. Machine is still in the back of my van and it sure looks nice from what I have seen so far.

#14644 4 years ago

I just picked up a very nice ON BEAM pinball machines from a "flipper" I do business with from time to time. He spent time & money shopping it out and had his repair guy do some work on it to get it working 100% but one of the "cams" on the reset bank was broken and the guy that fixed the machine tried gluing and taping it. Well that lasted a few plays before it broke again.
Anyway when he found out I didn't have the parts in stock for him to fix it he offered to sell me the machine and "cut his losses". Before I move this to the basement to work on it over the Winter if anyone wants it and can grab it this weekend $375 CASH will buy it. I really don't need any more projects but on the flip side this thing is so nice I couldn't pass it up. We are headed out of town next week for 6 weeks so it needs to go this weekend or I'll have it moved to the heated basement before we head on vacation and just fix it when I get home.
Located in Carlisle, PA (Just off I-81 about a mile from exit 45 or 47 midway between the exits) - no time to deal with pictures - just looking for a quick sale or I'll keep it. As far as I know all it should need is one nylon cam installed.
I just pulled this machine up on IPDB and found out the "later run" didn't have Mushroom Bumpers and this one is serial number 2325 with stationary targets not mushroom bumpers of that matters to you. Machine is still in the back of my van and it sure looks nice from what I have seen so far.

Pictures now posted on Pinside for sale listing!

#14674 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Lot of bodies/heads/PF’s.
nh.craigslist.org link
Close to me. But I have no idea what I would do with them all.

I emailed the seller earlier today and asked a couple additional questions but have not gotten a reply yet. I sold my parts business to a guy from Maryland and we are in the process of moving a dozen van & trailer loads of stuff in his direction over the next few weeks. So I figure he might be interested in the load for the parts. From the pictures price is not really all that far out of line if the metal stuff on the bottom of the playfields isn't all rusty. Not a "steal of a deal" but not bad either at $1250 (or $1375) depending on which is the actual price.

My issue is 1000 miles of driving for a "trailer load of junk" I don't really need. I figure two nights in a motel, cheap food, and fuel will run me an addtional $500 (or more) to go grab the stuff for the new owner of the parts business. Once you add those expenses into the mix it becomes a lot more risky!

#14683 4 years ago

Congrats, Skip! Now you can finally “slow down”

I am hoping that will happen shortly but for now I am busier than ever. Between trying to load and deliver all the machines & parts to my buyer, keeping up with eBay & "special request" sales, doing the York Show & picking up stuff I committed to buying a short day for me the past month or so has been 18 hours. Thankfully next week we are headed on vacation for about 4 weeks but after that it will go back to insanely busy until March 1st when I am finally totally done with the parts business.

During the transfer - until my buyer is up and running - I am going to continue to sell parts on eBay trying to help as many people as possible. That was part of the agreement with my buyer. I didn't want a void in parts supply for 3 or 4 months while he was getting things up and running so I am going to continue to sell off some of the inventory I already have here at the house.

Two loads of machines have already been delivered & another load is on the way South Thursday then I'll be taking a break for moving machines for a few weeks.

Did anyone hear back from that seller in NH? I emailed him with a couple questions and didn't get a reply. Hopefully someone will "save" those machines. If someone here ends up with them and wants to sell the Close Encounters & World Cup heads I have two headless machines here at are worth trying to save.

-Skip-

#14691 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Congrats on the sale
I know it's hard to resist, but you don't have to run and grab every pile of parts that surfaces; stay home and relax and let someone else take a crack at it. There are plenty of bulk buyers up around here.

Typically with the driving involved & condition of most of those machines I would have just passed over them but I saw two heads in the lot that would make two of my "parts machines" into decent games so I decided to see what the seller would tell me about them. Sadly I have not gotten a response and it is likely getting to close to my vacation for me to consider that trip at this point.

I would really love to have gotten the Close Encounters head because I have a nice body with a nice playfield just screaming for a head. I also have a decent World Cup sitting here that needs a head so just the two heads would have made the drive OK for me to consider. I am all about saving as many machines as possible so when I see the chance to save two more I had to at least try!

-Skip-

#14698 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

boston.craigslist.org link
Thought about picking up up, but have other things going on.[quoted image]

Good price and a fairly hard to find title. I owned one a few years back and was always kind of sorry I sold it.

1 month later
#15161 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

125 Woodrail Pins
Warren, Ohio
Cost: $7,500 ($60/pin)
Seller is Rob Berk
Contact/Link: ebay.com link » 125 Wood Rail Pinball Machines
OP: LOT OF 125 + WOODRAIL PINBALL MACHINE THIS IS THE COLLECTION OF JACK KOCH OF CINCINNATI,I NEED THE ROOM , I DO NOT HAVE A LIST OF GAMES, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET ,I HAVE A FEW LEGS, SOME DO NOT HAVE HEADS ,GLASS MISSING,BACK DOORS GONE, SOME DO NOT HAVE LOCKDOWN BARS ,WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT I HAVE GAMES RANGE FROM 1948 TO 1960 GOTTLIEB AND WILLIAMS , SHIPPING WILL BE DETERMINED BETWEEN BUYER AND SELLER,LOCAL PICKUP IS WELCOME QUESTIONS CALL ROB AT
Me: Restoring these pins, including collecting all the missing parts would make a nice retirement hobby for someone.

This lot would be right up my alley if I didn't just sell the parts business. Save what you can and part out the rest! Lots of money to be made but a lot of work also!

1 week later
#15208 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

125 Woodrail Pins
Warren, Ohio
Cost: $7,500 ($60/pin)
Seller is Rob Berk
Contact/Link: ebay.com link » 125 Wood Rail Pinball Machines
OP: LOT OF 125 + WOODRAIL PINBALL MACHINE THIS IS THE COLLECTION OF JACK KOCH OF CINCINNATI,I NEED THE ROOM , I DO NOT HAVE A LIST OF GAMES, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET ,I HAVE A FEW LEGS, SOME DO NOT HAVE HEADS ,GLASS MISSING,BACK DOORS GONE, SOME DO NOT HAVE LOCKDOWN BARS ,WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT I HAVE GAMES RANGE FROM 1948 TO 1960 GOTTLIEB AND WILLIAMS , SHIPPING WILL BE DETERMINED BETWEEN BUYER AND SELLER,LOCAL PICKUP IS WELCOME QUESTIONS CALL ROB AT
Me: Restoring these pins, including collecting all the missing parts would make a nice retirement hobby for someone.

Someone got a pretty decent deal on these! $80 each for what looks like a decent bunch of woodrail project (or parts) machines. Hopefully a good many will get saved!

3 weeks later
#15339 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Contact: 2502 produced. Only 14 pinsiders have it on their wishlist. No back box. $200.00 of parts. Sell all of the parts that will sell. And make a coffee table with what is left over

There is a reason only 2500 sold and most of the ones you do see are in super nice condition - gameplay sucks!

About 8 years ago I was lucky enough to pick one of these up that looked like new then about 3 months later I ended up with a second one in super nice shape before we even worked on the first one. After we got it up and running I quickly realized why the playfields on these always seem to be in nice shape. No one would ever put a second quarter into this machine after playing it once on location.

In the 12 years (or so) we have been in the hobby I have actually owned 5 or 6 of them. The most I ever sold one for - shopped & 100% working - was $450 and it took me almost a year to sell it for that. Great parts machine but not a machine most people would want to add to their collection!

#15343 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I suppose you may gather some flack for your statement. SI has 316 pinside owners and 175 wish listers OTOH, I got a free ride with Contact. I was not expecting that. I was figuring I was going to grab some downvotes with my coffee table statement and no one was even bothered by that

A coffee table is about the best thing to do with a Contact Pin. Originally I was really excited when I found our first one but after playing it a couple times I realized by the time the ball got down to the flippers you had time to go grab a cup of coffee. What was odd to me is the playfield is basically the same as Space Mission and Space Mission is a decent playing machine. But that super wide body just makes gameplay so so slow it is hard to say anything positive about Contact!

#15411 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Also have a Bally Lost World that I would be willing to pass on. Picked it up last week in a multi-game deal, but don’t really have the space. I could do $350 if someone is interested.
I set it up just to go over it, because it was packaged up when I took it. Game is complete. BG has a couple flake spots, and somebody put tape on the back. It’s not horrible though. PF has a little bit of wear, but it isn’t bad at all.
Cab is pretty nice. Looks like the MPU had some corrosion that was neutralized. There is a capacitor hacked in there, maybe for speaker noise, and there is a burn mark on the rectifier board near the one fuse clip. I didn’t try to boot it. It’s a semi-project.
I did remove the doorbell mod.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Colson,

If I didn't already have too many machines sitting around I would come grab it from you. I don't know why it isn't already gone with what Bally parts are bringing these days. Worth saving but it is likely worth more in parts. Just figured I would say hello! Skip

#15416 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Come on Skip, you know I don’t like parting out games!! I don’t think I’ve ever parted out a complete game. Would rather get it flipping again. This is a complete game in relatively good shape.
It even still has the original Bally rollover guides.

I didn't say "part it out" I am just saying there is a hell of a lot more value than $350 in that machine even if you just look at the parts value. Since I got into the hobby I have parted out in excess of 100 machines and I can honestly say I have never parted one out that was worth trying to save. In fact I have actually saved a dozen or more that should have been parted out.

Right now I have a "barn find" Cleopatra that should be parted out I am going to try and save. The playfield, cabinet & backglass are decent so I just can't bring myself to part it out but everything metal has rust on it, all the plastics are either missing or broken and it doesn't have a lock bar or playfield glass. Worse yet is it sat in a barn for years with no playfield glass in it so you can just barely see the playfield art for dirt. And if all that isn't bad enough it doesn't have a board or display in the head. So by the time I get it put together I'll have $500 in parts and over a week of time invested in a machine no one really wants?

#15419 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I was just busting your chops. We know each other well enough.
No boards or displays in the head? And by the time you’re done you’ll only spend $500? I need to shop for parts where you do. LOL.

Thankfully we have plenty of "junk" boards around so Wayne will not be happy (since he does all my board work) but with a little time the boards & displays shouldn't cost much. My investment will basically be "stolen inventory" from the parts business & time. Sadly I don't have any of the plastics so that will be the biggest cash outlay - if I can even find them for sale anywhere.

Once the balance of my parts business is delivered to my buyer projects like this will not happen anymore for us. Wayne will be happy about that but I am going to miss it. Since the buyer of the business is only paying for what I am delivering to him I am basically just stealing from myself. I know it all sounds kind of crazy but that is why people tell me every day that I am nuts!

#15420 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I was just busting your chops. We know each other well enough.
No boards or displays in the head? And by the time you’re done you’ll only spend $500? I need to shop for parts where you do. LOL.

Colson,

If you deliver it to me I would be a cash buyer tomorrow. You know you want to come visit again anyway! I was at your place last so it is your turn!

2 weeks later
#15605 4 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

This house sits in Philly's Main Line area (but technically not philly), it's close to, if not one of the richest areas in the state. If neighbors are going, it will be pricey. I've driven through the area dozens of times; million plus houses sitting right next to another one. They are all pretty unique and neat to look at from the road. I would be neat to see one from the inside. I personally like the tapestries and PA history stuff outside of the gameroom items.
-Chrissi

Another thing that came into my head right away when I saw the address is there are a lot of high dollar pinball & arcade dealers in that area of PA also. Guys that sell machines for big money all the time and can afford to pay more than most of us since their customer base is people with plenty of money

#15672 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Jumping Jack
Gillette, nj
Min bid $300, buy it now $500
ebay.com link » Used Working Pinball Machines

Quoted from bluespin:

Little Chief
Gillette, nj
Min bid $350, buy it now $500
ebay.com link » 1975 Williams Little Chief 4 Player Electro Mechanical Pinball Machine

I think these were both listed either last week or the week before and didn't even get a bid. Wouldn't be a bad deal for someone local if the guy would come down a little in price.

1 week later
#15745 4 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

My newest project, picked up this morning after a 1am Craigslist notification and conversation. Cab is pretty rough, and missing the lockdown bar and playfield glass, but the boards are good and it flips!
Been looking for a project one for 2 years now. The people I bought it from were really nice.... But their house was maaaaaayyyyyyybbbbee a little sketchy......[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like a place Mike & Frank (American Pickers) would be at! I never worry too much about working people living in something like that. The guy that worries me is the guy in a 3 piece suit living in a $500k plus house. GOD only know how many people he had to walk on to get their!

Sometimes you wonder about the way some people chose to live but as long as I am not looking at something like that on my street I am a live & let live type guy.

#15762 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There is a crime behind every fortune ?
Yes. I agree with you. The pie can only be sliced in so many ways. I'll take half and the rest of you can split the other half.

Not saying a "crime" just from my experience those guys in the suits are the guys you need to worry about more than a guy who has worked his ass off for everything he owns.

#15767 4 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

I'd been watching this with some interest.... Right up until the price went to $2600 (plus 5% buyers premium) with 5 days to go (and this was when they were still both being reported as not working, although now they say the have gotten Whirlwind functioning).
Also, one of the Q & A's sealed the deal on letting my interest wain:
Q: Are these the machines that were in the flood? (2/12/20 10:26 AM)
A: we understand that they may have suffered some water damage from a plumbing incident where they were located (2/12/20 10:48 AM)

Wonder if the bidding went over $2600 before or after it was disclosed they were in a flood? Someone might be buying a lot of expensive junk. Typically flood machines can have real issues depending how wet they got. I have tried to save several flood machines and paint of the playfields always seem to flake after being wet or under water. Boards & most of the electronics seem to do OK and I have even had transformers that were fine after they dried out but the wood is normally the biggest issue with flood machines from my experiences with them.

#15771 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My man, you have just described capitalism.

To some people life is all about money. To other people life is about giving & sharing. I am more of the giving & sharing type guy and anyone who knows me or has done business with me knows that. I'll never drive a fancy car, have an overpriced house, or be able to afford some of the nicer things in life. But I'll will go to my grave having enjoyed ever day I was on earth and having helped as many people as possible along the way.

From my experience most guys with lots of money typically have taken advantage of other people to get it. Most of them are not truly happy and most wouldn't help someone else unless there is something in it for them.

I am not saying everyone is that way but from experience you shouldn't judge a book by the cover. And I see people the same way! That was my point with my original post when the guy that bought the Black Hole machine from that place he posted a picture of. My first thought was - typical working man living a simple life. Not the neatest place in the world but it wouldn't concern me at all buying a machine from him.

#15776 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Headless Pin - Parts machine
Game/Type: Evel Knievel / SS 4 Player
Month/Year: July 1976
Production: 14,000
Cost: $300
Link/Contact: nashville.craigslist.org link
OP: Here is a Bally Evel Knievel pinball machine body. The cabinet is pretty nice. The playfeild is dirty with some wear. The complete head is missing. The head was unbolted and disconnected to take to a guy for repair in Rogersville/ Killen Alabama area. He passed away and head went missing. Asking $300.

I would be "all over that" if I was headed to Nashville anytime soon.

#15833 4 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Not mine and not projects, but good prices and nice playfields.... Sitting side by side. Maybe the seller would do a package deal.
Shamong, NJ
Sinbad
$600
southjersey.craigslist.org link
#Cactus Jack's
$800
southjersey.craigslist.org link

I would be on the way to get these already if I wasn't trying to "cut back". The craziness has gone on long enough so I just can't but I would love to own that Cactus Jack's - that is a title I have not had in the past.

#15852 4 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

Mars God of War listed here on pinside as a “parts” game. Located in Rural Retreat VA and seller is asking $300. I don’t know anything about the seller but the game looks nice cosmetically. Hate to see that one get parted out....does look like it needs stuff including plastics.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-mars-god-of-war-24

I was tempted on this one but 350+ miles each way kind of killed the idea for me. I don't mind a nice little road trip but right now I have way too much other stuff going to with the sale of the parts business & trying to get that stuff delivered to the buyer to think about something that would take 20 hours away from getting my work done.

Unless I am missing something I really don't see why seller is calling it parts, missing all the boards, displays & plastics but the rest of the machine doesn't look all that bad from the pictures!

1 month later
#16168 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

LOL. I hit a honey hole about 4 years ago and it was crazy the folks that come out of the woodwork.

It is always amazing how many "friends" you have when they think there might be something in it for them. Over the years - especially in this hobby - I have learned to keep my mouth shut until deals are made and the machines or parts are home with me. Huge scores don't happen often but if you are lucky enough to trip into one the best advice I can give you is not to say a word about it. Just go on business (or hobby) as usual - life is much easier.

1 week later
#16323 4 years ago

I have a decent project Mr & Mrs PAC MAN here in Central PA I would let go for $550. My plans were to fix it up and take it to one of the shows this year but I don't know if I want to deal with shows at this point with this CoronaVirus mess. From memory it is in overall good condition, untested boards (assume battery damage), a scratch or two on the backglass and a little minor wear on the playfield but overall a solid project machine.

We are located about a mile off I-81 (exit 45 or 47 midway between the two exits) and machine is in the garage for easy loading. Because of the CoronaVirus I don't want to spend a lot of time with a buyer - I would have machine in the driveway ready to load and buyer can look it over but I am not getting close to anyone right now so they need to be able to load it. I'll list it on Pinside for sale at some point and include pictures then but for now I don't have any pictures of it yet. I just decided to post it tonight in case anyone was headed past on I-81 and looking for a project that is easy to grab. (CASH at pick up ONLY).

#16337 4 years ago

I have a decent project Mr & Mrs PAC MAN here in Central PA I would let go for $550. My plans were to fix it up and take it to one of the shows this year but I don't know if I want to deal with shows at this point with this CoronaVirus mess. From memory it is in overall good condition, untested boards (assume battery damage), a scratch or two on the backglass and a little minor wear on the playfield but overall a solid project machine.
We are located about a mile off I-81 (exit 45 or 47 midway between the two exits) and machine is in the garage for easy loading. Because of the CoronaVirus I don't want to spend a lot of time with a buyer - I would have machine in the driveway ready to load and buyer can look it over but I am not getting close to anyone right now so they need to be able to load it. I'll list it on Pinside for sale at some point and include pictures then but for now I don't have any pictures of it yet. I just decided to post it tonight in case anyone was headed past on I-81 and looking for a project that is easy to grab. (CASH at pick up ONLY).

I have had some interest in this but everyone so far is too far away for a "quick" pick up. I could really use the space right now and am looking for a quick local sale so I figured I would bump this again to see if there was any local interest. Original post was just above --- post number 16323

#16423 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Looks interesting, at that price, Go for It.

I would grab it if it was local to us. What can you buy for $150 these days? Looks like something very different and seems like a steal of a deal at that price!

2 weeks later
#16551 3 years ago

Not pinball machines but I'll have three or four 1970's Jukeboxes I'll be giving away here in central PA later this week (or next week) if anyone here is interested. They are currently buried in the back of a storage unit I am trying to get emptied out so I don't have pictures or anything. I'll know more in a few days but figured I would ask here before I posted them on Facebook or Craig's List later this week. (All 45's Jukeboxes not CD boxes).

#16605 3 years ago

Road Kings here on Pinside for $600 -- the transformer & boards are worth more than that!
Good players machine you could "borrow" boards from for something else until you find a nicer cabinet.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/95821

1 week later
#16740 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Terrible pictures, no details other than condition is used. Well, no shit they are used.
This one screams buyer beware.

Selling them as a lot they are worth around $5k (give or take a few dollars). Seller is looking for a sucker dumb enough to buy them - "fishing" not selling.

Some of you guys will say I am too low but I have bought and sold over 600 machines in the past 10 or 12 years and I know what the deal is when you see groups of machines for sale like this. If you are buying them to fix up and keep MAYBE $7500 for the lot but if you are hoping to buy them and keep one or two machines from the lot good luck getting out from under the rest at anything more than about $5k.

I am sure someone is "crazy" enough to overpay for them but it will not be me!

#16745 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

that is funny, I offered $5k.

$5k is "spot on" for that lot and at $5k your cost of picking them up needs to be under $500 for the math to work. According to my math if all of them are in "better than average" condition & complete once you get them working 100% you are looking at $11k to $12k depending on how quickly you want to get them sold.

But anyone with any sense knows these will not be in "better than average condition". So buying them to resell as-is you will be lucky to get $6000 to $6500 out of the lot. If you fix them up you will have at least 20 days of labor into them so after parts you will be lucky to come out making much for your labor.

My dad always said "any fool can find work if they are willing to work for nothing!" Paying over $5k puts you into that area from what I am seeing.

#16770 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

If you are brave enough
High Speed
Williams
Price: $300 OBO
OP:THIS HAS BEEN SITTING FOR YEARS AND NEEDS WORK 300.00 OR BEST OFFER
Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/287943862596982/

$450 to $600 worth of boards & displays, $350 to $500 worth of playfield parts, plus a transformer, coin door etc. If it isn't worth finding a cabinet for it has over a grand in parts on it.

#16774 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I'll join the "I'm not buying the lot but if someone else does, I'll take an individual machine" group as I would take a project dracula or mata hari. I have a newly built rectifier & SDB waiting for a project game. <insert custom emojjjjiii>*

Looks like he did one hell of a job getting them sold and avoiding eBay fees. Guys like that get under my skin because them avoiding fees makes my fees higher in the long run. If you use a site to advertise stuff you have for sale give that site their fair share for helping you sell that item (or those items). I like saving money just like everyone else but venues like Pinside, eBay, Craig's List, Facebook, Etc deserve to get paid if you are selling on their venue.

#16775 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You sell a lot of parts and I see some good parts on this pin. I am not going to question your knowledge, but where do you see $350-$500 worth of play field parts? Educate me, please.

Pretty much ever pinball machine has a lest $350 in parts on a populated playfield (even EM machines). Going back to High Speed: used plastics $75 for set (more if you sell them one at a time), ramps $25 each, 3 flipper assemblies @$25 each = $75, pair slingshots $20 to $30, kick out assembly $20 to $25, Drop target assembly $35 (or more), 3 spinners @ $8 each, out lane kickback $20, plastic post $10, hardware $15, light sockets $5, harness $25, apron $10 to $35, rollovers with switches $15, etc.

A few dollars for some items - a little more for others - it all adds up pretty quickly. You also have wire lane guides and other little stuff. Then guys are paying $50 (or more) for stripped playfields for wall art (I typically give playfields away because I don't want to ship them).

So now for guys thinking I am making a killing on parts. An average machine takes me about 12 hours to part out and another 12 hours to list and ship the parts (including answering emails - etc). So about 24 hours of time invested.

As far as the money end of things: cost of machine, cost of storage, cost of packing supplies, eBay & Paypal fees, plus cost of fuel to go get machines all add up. Typically I can part out and list parts from two machines a week. Netting me about $1500 a week in parts sales. Cost of machines I part out and monthly overhead takes about 50% of that money, eBay & Paypal fees another 20% of that money leaving me with about 30% gross profit. So basically I make about $500 a week dealing with these parts when I am working at it more or less full time. Less than $10 per hour & hardly worth the effort. But I don't do it for the money - I do it to help people and to save "junk machines" from the landfill so all is good.

#16778 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thank you.
I have a few pin parts laying around that have some value but are not worth the time it takes to sell them. But I will not throw them away.
I appreciate all that you do.

It is truly a "labor of love" however I think a younger guy tweaking prices a bit and working a little harder than I care to do will do very well selling pinball parts. And that is exactly who I sold the parts business to last Fall. Matt (hazmat7719 here on Pinside) now owns 95% of my inventory and will start selling parts this Fall. We made the deal on the business last Fall at the York Show and I managed to deliver 8 van & trailer loads of parts and machines to him before this Coronavirus mess hit. I still have one last load to deliver.

Since I had to cancel my plans for 2020 because of the Coronavirus Matt & I amended our deal and I am going to continue to sell some parts until this Fall when he is going to be ready to get underway. So starting around Oct. 2020 Matt will be you "go to guy" for lots of great used parts.

For now I'll keep helping as many people as possible but it has gotten tougher with my very limited inventory these days.

-Skip-

#16814 3 years ago

Not project machines but something that might help people here with one of their projects -- or could become their next project if someone wants to "build a machine" starting with a populated playfield. These are mine but I just don't have a need for any of them at this point.

Four fully (or mostly) populated playfields for sale here on Pinside (in the marketplace) that can be delivered to the York Show or picked up here in Carlisle PA anytime before the show. They include a fully populated LAST ACTION HERO $900 (OBO) /// a fully populated CUE BALL WIZARD $600 (OBO) /// a fully populated ROCK $350 (OBO) /// and a mostly populated GOLD WINGS $350 (OBO)

From memory all four of these are in very nice overall condition. Once I get them "dug out" I'll know more about them but when I put them away about a year ago they all looked pretty nice to me. It will be a week or two before I can get pictures of them if anyone is seriously interest. Parts on these are worth more than my asking price but I hate to part them out because all of them are nice enough to just drop into machines. If they don't sell by the time York Show happens I'll just part them out over the Winter but I really hate to do that with nice playfields.

I have ZERO interest in attempting to ship these so please don't ask!

#16821 3 years ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

I want The Rock and gg,wait no shipping,oh no

Sadly shipping coast to cost would be crazy expensive anyway. Rock & Gold Wings would likely be the least expensive to ship and easiest to pack. If you are seriously interested I can see what shipping would cost and let you know but I can guarantee you will not like what it is going to cost to ship. My best guess would be over $200 according to my recent research.

#16824 3 years ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

thank you,i shipped a playfield to tennessee a couple years back for around $60 usps,fedex and ups quoted me slightly higher,but it was just a plain board for a hollywood heat (non populated).

Quoted from Daditude:

I have recently bought and had playdields shipped. They were 75 for a single, but it was cheaper to bundle 2 or 3.
There would also potentially be be the option of Dan Scott or Bob Cunningham, which would likely be cheaper if it was along their routes.

Empty playfields are fairly cheap to ship they only weigh a few pounds. FULLY POPULATED playfields weigh between 60 and 100 pounds and the box needs to be 48"x25"x10" (or bigger). Shipping an empty playfield is much different than shipping a populated playfield. USPS will not even ship a populated playfield (box size is too large and weight is typically too heavy).

Shipping a populated playfield is like shipping a third of a machine. And shipping something that big & that heavy doesn't happen cheap.

If you want to try something try packing a fully populated playfield for safe shipping - it is a ton of fun. I hate even trying to pack them to bring them to a show and doing that I am the only one handling them.

#16842 3 years ago

I'll be listing a project Bally Playboy here on Pinside later tonight or tomorrow morning. Needs MPU work because of battery damage but otherwise decent overall condition. Nice backglass - some playfield wear (but not as bad as most Playboy machines) and a decent cabinet. Looking to get $1200 (or close to $1200) for it. Listing will have plenty of pictures.

1 week later
#16907 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Skyrocket $500
cnj.craigslist.org link
OP - i have a 1972 ballys skyrocket pinball machine, it works but needs some replacement bulbs.

A game you don't see come up for sale often!

1 week later
#17032 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Em pins, playfields and shuffle/ball and lots of em parts
$1,200
Honeybrook, PA
https://www.facebook.com/groups/840783619322597?view=permalink&id=3113266052074331

I am suppose to go look at this stuff this coming weekend. No machines involved from what I understand just basically parts and a Shuffle Alley for parts. Even though I am a parts guy it is highly unlikely I'll be able to pay what the buyer needs for the stuff unless there is a heck of a lot more their than I am expecting. But I will be happy to let anyone know exactly what I see once I look at the stuff in person.

It basically sounds like a half a dozen relay boards & playfields, the shuffle alley with an extra head, a pitch and bat body with no head, and a few boxes of parts. In my eyes it will likely end up being about $500 or $600 worth of parts but only time will tell. Seller is only about an hour east of me so I figure it is worth the drive to take a look anyway. Plus I need to get out of the house for a change!

#17036 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Four ems one price
Spin Wheel
Student Prince
Fashion Show
Keeney’s Click
Collegeville, PA
$1,100
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1495208617395027?view=permalink&id=2597882687127609

I talked to this seller this past week and he is firm on price. With the one machine being a Keeney, one machine missing the backglass, and all four titles lower end machines it was way out of a "logical" price range in my eyes. To me $800 to $900 would be a more logical number for the lot (and that is actually pushing it to the max). Maybe it will be worth more to someone but that someone will not be me.

#17058 3 years ago

I am going to do something "totally out of character" for me. Typically I am not one to do "quick flips" but I had a chance to pick up a Gottlieb Spin Wheel today someone posted on Facebook for free. I don't "take advantage of people" so I emailed and told them I would gladly pay a "fair price" for the machine. Anyway the "seller" got back to me and we made a deal. So I ran down to pick it up a little while ago. My plans were to grab it and just part it out since it didn't sound all that nice but after taking a "quick look" at it I think it is way too nice to part out. If anyone fairly local would be interested in grabbing it from me $300 CASH will own it before I start messing with it.

Anyone who follows my post knows I am trying to get the garage emptied out so I can paint. So I really don't need another project sitting around. So I figured I would offer this up if anyone is interested - if not I'll just toss it into storage until Fall then bring it home and work on it after the garage is finished.

With travel cost and what I paid I need $300 FIRM for it. It is worth double that fixed up and about $750 in parts so I am not going to give it away. I just don't need another project right now so I figured I would pass it along if anyone was interested. It is still in my van so it will be a few hours before I can take a closer look or get pictures.

#17073 3 years ago

I am going to do something "totally out of character" for me. Typically I am not one to do "quick flips" but I had a chance to pick up a Gottlieb Spin Wheel today someone posted on Facebook for free. I don't "take advantage of people" so I emailed and told them I would gladly pay a "fair price" for the machine. Anyway the "seller" got back to me and we made a deal. So I ran down to pick it up a little while ago. My plans were to grab it and just part it out since it didn't sound all that nice but after taking a "quick look" at it I think it is way too nice to part out. If anyone fairly local would be interested in grabbing it from me $300 CASH will own it before I start messing with it.
Anyone who follows my post knows I am trying to get the garage emptied out so I can paint. So I really don't need another project sitting around. So I figured I would offer this up if anyone is interested - if not I'll just toss it into storage until Fall then bring it home and work on it after the garage is finished.
With travel cost and what I paid I need $300 FIRM for it. It is worth double that fixed up and about $750 in parts so I am not going to give it away. I just don't need another project right now so I figured I would pass it along if anyone was interested. It is still in my van so it will be a few hours before I can take a closer look or get pictures.

Still no "takes" for this machine. I have not listed it for sale anywhere yet trying to give people here first shot at it. Over the weekend I'll likely list it in the Marketplace if it is not spoken for by then. I am really hoping to see it gone quickly so I don't need to unload it out of my van and into the garage.

#17078 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Stern Stars, not working but looks good $500. Near Philly.
philadelphia.craigslist.org link

Decent looking machine at what seems to be a great price. If I wasn't trying to "cut back" I would be all over that one! Should be gone quickly if it is not already sold.

#17080 3 years ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

There should be no cutting back, this is the time to go full steam ahead.

Really need (or at least want to) get the garage painted before Fall. So I need to keep trying to get it empty - not add to the mess! So I need to "be good" for a few weeks!

1 week later
#17272 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

"Free"...... currently equals $600.00.

Still a great deal for someone but I doubt it will end at $600

1 week later
#17443 3 years ago

What is sad about those is both look pretty decent from what I could see in the pictures. I don't mind people "making art or furniture" out of old pinball machines if they start with "junk" but wasting something nice on a coffee table really seems like a shame!

#17515 3 years ago

I actually find it easier to just grab & carry the "empty cabinet". Three big screws (bolts) to remove relay board, and at that point you just have the empty cabinet with coin door on it. Place open side away from you and lift it one step at a time, balance it and step up, repeat the process a few times and cabinet is outside. Once you have it outside put relay board back in, put playfield back in and playfield glass on then load.

#17518 3 years ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

I'm not familiar with EM machines (as this will be my first one). So those relays and power board in the cabinet underneath the playfield can just be removed by taking out 3 big bolts? Are the bolts the same size as leg bolts/backbox bolts?

On Gottlieb they are big dome headed screws (machine screw like a bolt - not wood screws) but a regular slotted top like a screw. You might have to remove something like the tilt board that has 2 wood screws holding it on. And also unplug flipper buttons or remove switch stacks on those. But relay board will come out without cutting any wires or anything if you spend a few minutes to do it right.

3 weeks later
#17938 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Then why doesn't the seller fix it up if it's barely a project and sell it for fifteen hundo? I'll tell you why, because it's worth about $1000, maybe $1200. They made a shit ton of jungle lords! So I disagree with your assessment.

Jungle Lords have almost doubled in price over the last year or so. Five years ago I was happy to sell a nice one for $750 now you have a heck of a time finding a Jungle Lord project machine for that same $750. The last 4 or 5 I have looked at were all north of $1500 and all were the normal Blue cabinet. I don't know that a red cabinet actually adds a ton of value but I do know $950 isn't a bad price for that machine. I have owned close to a dozen of them and it is still one of the favorites in our collection.

2 weeks later
#18139 3 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I don't know what it is about them that brings in all the crazy buyers.

More amazing yet is what Lloyd (coinopwarehouse) gets for machines and how quickly he sells them. Don't get me wrong Lloyd is a good guy and a smart businessman but it just blows my mind he can list a pinball machine for 25% more than most of us would be willing to pay and it is gone in seconds?

A buddy of mine gave up selling machines and just sells them to Lloyd because Lloyd is paying more for them than he can sell them for on his own? Over the years Lloyd has mastered the art of selling coinop stuff!

#18197 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I've been really interested by Jaybird Auctions. They post a LOT of pins over time and I'm curious what the actual prices end up going for. Some fairly good stock from time to time.

Jaybird Auctions is Lloyd's daughter and a good many of the machines and stuff sold are from Coinopwarehouse. Not saying that is a good (or bad) thing just figured I would give some "history" to where that inventory keeps coming from. Over the years Lloyd & his family have branched out in many different directions. But from my recent experiences with his stuff typically it is selling for top dollar (plus some).

Lloyd is a good guy and very smart businessman. Sadly in recent years I have not been able to buy from him because prices have gotten insane. But years ago we did do a fair amount of business with him.

#18202 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

they over charge on everything, coin op warehouse, jaybird, hub city you name it, not a deal to be had. i avoid them like the plague.

I don't agree with this "exactly" because it isn't really Lloyd and his family overcharging. It is more the fact the for some crazy reason Lloyd's customers tend to like to overpay for what he is listing for sale. I don't blame Lloyd - he is just a smart businessman. It is his crazy customers that keep driving the prices higher & higher. I have not been able to buy for Lloyd in over 10 years and I think a lot of customers here in the US will say the same thing. A good bit of what he sells goes into containers and gets shipped all over the world.

#18257 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

went for $920 which is a great price. Appeared to be in great shape

Zero feedback seller always worries me! I know everyone has to start with ZERO feedbacks but typically sellers list a few low dollar items just to get some feedback before they list a $1000 item. Hopefully buyer makes out OK!

#18259 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Buyer will be fine. They are picking up in person and can reverse it if something is wrong.

There are a lot of "creative scams" out there these days. Not as risky as some venues but zero feedback is always a concern in my eyes. The biggest issue I have had with zero feedback sellers is them backing out of transactions because item didn't bring what they thought it should. In any event it went for a good price so it was worth a shot for someone.

1 week later
#18362 3 years ago

I am not trying to be "an ass" but over the past couple years I have really scaled back my buying of machines & parts. About two months ago I decided I am "finally done" buying pinball machines. But I started missing "the thrill of the chase". Thankfully instead of getting back into "bad habits" I recently started back into the model railroad hobby. I am still running around buying stuff like crazy but a shoe box full of N Gauge trains is a hell of a lot easier to move than a pinball machine.

I hate to say it but I really am not missing dragging 300 pound machines out of basements! But with me gone there will be more machines for everyone else! It has been a fun ride but I am also glad it is over! -Skip-

2 months later
#18971 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

Just FYI, Jaybird Auctions sells for Coinop Warehouse. Pinball is not their primary business and you should carefully inspect any of their machines - they are sold "as-is". Good deals can certainly be found, but be sure to check them out closely. They also add an 18% buyer's premium.

It is actually Lloyd's (owner of Coinopwarehouse) daughter and the building they have the auctions in is actually Lloyd's building. So in a way it is Coinopwarehouse doing an auction. Not that it really matters but Lloyd is Lloyd and sometimes you can get a great deal / other times not so much! Bottom line is look things over well before you buy.

2 months later
#19566 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

These are gone just that quick. Seller agreed to send me more pics Sunday and then talk prices. He threw them up of CL 2 hours ago and the ad was already deleted. I texted him and he has buyer for everything. Sucks.

Most sellers want a QUICK & EASY transaction. Over the years I have learned "make the deal & roll right away" - no asking for more details / more pictures / etc. Lock the deal in and run and grab what ever I was able to buy at a price I thought was "fair" judging from their listing. Sometimes I "take a hit" and overpay for "junk" and other times I hit a home run. But at least I got the stuff in my trailer before someone else grabbed it.

Typically I am on the road within 15 minutes of communicating with the seller. I have already driven 6 or 7 hours and picked machines up at midnight then drove all night home. I have driven through storms - skipped eating dinner - etc. What ever it took to lock the deal in then worry about how good of a deal it was. NO REGRETS!

I am glad I am totally done chasing Pinball Machines but my latest hobby (model railroad stuff) is just as competitive so I am now fighting over trains instead of pinball machines. (At least they are smaller & lighter!)

#19575 3 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

too-many-trains?

According to my wife it is more like "way too-many-trains". Anyone who knows me knows I never do anything in a small way. If one is good 100 is even better!

#19584 3 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

I've been after a Jurassic Park (DE) for awhile
daditude alerted me to a fresh post on FB market place, I messaged the seller after a quick glance , told him I'd buy it cash no hassle , it was 4hrs from my house, but I'm in Kansas, dropped what I was doing and grabbed it,
Last yr I got 17 pins from one warehouse, because I DIDN'T ask alot of questions or for pics, they were projects , didn't want to lose out

Many years ago I learned I would rather overpay for something I got than pass something up and wish I would have bought it. Back about 50 years ago (when I was a teenager) I passed stuff up I should have bought and was "pissed" at myself for weeks. When I got out of college and starting have a little money in my pocket I quickly realized I was better off "buying everything" I thought I wanted and selling off the stuff that didn't interest me (or wasn't as nice as I thought it was going to be).

Yes I lost money on a few transactions & I spent many days driving home thinking "why the hell did I pay that much for this heap of shit". But at least I wasn't beating myself up over the ones that got away.

In the end I really don't think there is any right or wrong way. Everyone just needs to do what works best for themself and live with their decision. But mathematically I think you lose less buying more. And at least you have the chance of seeing what you might have missed.

Using a $2000 pinball machine as an example. You see one that looks pretty decent come up for $1700 and "grab it". You get it home and start looking things over closer and find it needs $600 worth of parts & labor. Now you overpaid by $300 but you didn't lose $1700 you only lost a couple hundred. On the flip side that same $1700 machine could have been HUO and worth $2500. You passed on it and your buddy got it. Now every time you see it you keep thinking "I could have owned that pin for $1700". You lost $800 by passing it up!

Regardless - life it too short to worry about the "little things". Just do what is right for you at that point in time and live with whatever you decided was best for you at that point in time!

#19589 3 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Time for a new thread. I think it belongs in EM, because the guys into newer games are probably not into trains.

I hate to see topics get too far "derailed" but sometimes I thread or two about something else isn't a bad thing. The main thing to remember in life is not to take any of it too seriously. Enjoy each day like it might be your last (you just never know what tomorrow might bring). All hobbies are great and we all need at least a couple of them.

I still love the pinball hobby and will be involved for a long time to come. I am just getting too darn old to keep moving 300+ pound machines around by myself so I am staying away from buying more pins and enjoying what machines I kept.

OK - Now back to pinball machines for sale! If you want to talk with me about trains or anything else do it via PM to keep everyone here happy! I don't want this thread to become too-many-trains!

1 month later
#20146 3 years ago

Once I get some other BS out of the way we will have several LIGHT PROJECT Solid State machines for sale here in Central PA. Right now I am thinking around mid May and about a half dozen machines but I really don't know for sure at this point. I probably should have just waited until I was a little closer to making this happen but I always like to let the locals know what is going on ahead of time when we are getting ready to sell off some machines.

No list yet - no prices yet - I just know I need several machines gone soon to make room to start redoing the basement.

#20155 3 years ago
Quoted from Snowtrooper:

Just out of curiosity, any Gottliebs going in the list (not asking for titles)? Just asking.

The only two Gottliebs in our current collection are Black Hole & Haunted House and both will likely get sold at some point. I just don't know how soon that might happen. We need to thin down things from around 18 machines to around 8 over the next year or so. Now we just need to figure out where to start. You guys know how it is you love them all but can't keep all of them!

3 weeks later
#20307 2 years ago

I remember playing one of them back when I was a kid. Guess that shows how old I am. After watching that I now want an RC Dozer and a big sand box to play in!

1 week later
#20390 2 years ago
Quoted from kennyp2112:

That one has a plastic behind the center targetsnext to the lower pop bumper. Mine has a chrome piece as do many others. Which is the right one?

That looks like a "problem area" on that machine so my guess would be they were originally released with a playfield plastic their and then sometime down the road either Bally or some aftermarket company made the chrome replacement instead of having a plastic their that always got broken. Just a guess on my part but that would be the way I would "call it".

3 months later
#21269 2 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

Harlem Globetrotters $595 Buy It Now
Kendalville, Indiana
ebay.com link: itm
Not going to last long.

I never thought I would see the day a "junk" classic Bally machine would sell for $600 and be considered a "deal". Smell of mice - missing MPU - playfield doesn't look great - "missing parts off playfield" - cabinet has damage & maybe mold - and paint lifting on backglass. Yet it sold for $600? What are you really buying?

#21270 2 years ago

I never thought I would see the day a "junk" classic Bally machine would sell for $600 and be considered a "deal". Smell of mice - missing MPU - playfield doesn't look great - "missing parts off playfield" - cabinet has damage & maybe mold - and paint lifting on backglass. Yet it sold for $600? What are you really buying?

This one seems like a better deal if you have $600 you are looking to spend.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/136264692017349/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

#21288 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That is one I played and kept on going. Not bad but not great.

All 4 of the "super wide body" Williams made are that way. Big playfield just makes the game feel super slow! I guess because the ball has to roll so far before it hits anything?

#21335 2 years ago

Not a PROJECT MACHINE but if your headed to the York Pinball Show (or live near Central PA) I am selling off a couple lots of PINBALL PARTS that would be great for someone who buys a fair amount of project machines. See my two for sale ads here on Pinside. Feel free to email with questions! Lots of great parts CHEAP and they will really be helpful to someone but since we are getting away from the hobby I no longer need them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/119479

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/120508

These will be a great deal for the right person but with the size and weight of the lots of parts they have to be LOCAL PICK UP ONLY - it will be impossible to ship all of this stuff!

#21359 2 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

Not sure if anyone’s interested, but I have a pretty rare Gottlieb Ready Aim Fire project I haven’t gotten to. Game is complete minus legs, MPU is saveable. Big issue is the harness was cut, it’s all there, just cut and needs to be put back together. $1300oo. Hard to price this game, but I know two of them changed hands in the last year for $2500ish

There is something "weird" about that machine. Production was suppose to be under 300 (or around 300) units yet I owned 3 of them in two years and knew of 7 others for sale at that same time. I had a hard time getting $600 for a nice one fully working several years ago. Times have changed but for some reason that is a "rare bird" no one seems to care about. Last time I looked Steve Young (Pinball Resource) still had NOS playfields for them.

#21362 2 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

It’s an oddball game for sure, unfortunately last I emailed Steve he didn’t have any parts for it. This one has minimal playfield wear, and an average backglass, if someone buys is great, if not, I’ll just keep it until I get around to fixing the harness.

We kind of liked it when we had it. I just never understood why there seemed to be so many of them for sale when they only made a few hundred of them. Not a game for everyone but I am sure someone might want it. With "crazy" prices these days value is all about what someone is willing to pay. Price guides, average selling prices, etc don't really matter anymore. A seller just needs to find a buyer willing to pay the price they need for that machine (or item).

2 weeks later
#21478 2 years ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

Game: Hot Tip
Price: $500
Link: https://offerup.com/item/detail/1281759136?q=pinball
Sellers ad:
1977 William's "Hot Tip"
Horse racing themed pinball for four players. Historically significant as one of the last electromechanical pinball machines William's ever made 29 years ago.
Original Main panels and lights. It turns on but we don’t have the time to refurbish it or the space to make it fully run. Most likely just needs a few fuses. We had a pinball expert come look at it and he said it was in great condition just needed a little rehab.

Pretty funny the ad says "one of the last EM machines" yet it is the SS version of Hot Tip! Also made 29 years ago according to the listing when it was actually made around 45 years ago. If you are going to put "facts" in a listing it would be nice if you were close to correct with those facts! Otherwise you are better off "playing stupid".

2 months later
#21969 2 years ago
Quoted from Drain860:

delaware.craigslist.org link
Says it's free but also says it $1600 ?

Looks like he is giving it away and just saying he paid $1695 for it. Can't argue with free! Also says a couple free arcade machines!

1 week later
#22050 2 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Good luck! The machine being outside is concerning.

From the picture it appears someone is cleaning up and cleaning out a garage so the machine and other valuable items were likely put back into the garage once junk was cleared out. Likely family cleaning up an estate or someone sick of having their garage full of junk they are not using. So I don't think I would worry much about that. None of the stuff in the picture looks like it has been outside for very long.

1 week later
#22133 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

On the Capt Fantastic, they didn’t return my call and when I got there first thing in the morning it was already sold.
Congrats to the buyer; I’m not real pleased with the estate sale folks.

If you had bought it someone else would have not been happy with the estate sale people. That is the issue with selling items before the actual sale starts.

3 weeks later
#22280 2 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I saw that too. Someone is trying to make a quick grand?

Someone buying something and trying to make a buck has never really upset me all that much. But two things do get under my skin when I see something like that happen. First off at least sell it on a different venue. And secondly why not wait a few weeks or months and just enjoy the machine then flip it for a profit instead of being so obvious about it.

If you are going to "flip something" as least try to cover that fact up a little bit!

But "flippers" are a really stupid bunch of people for the most part. They think they are clever but they are actually the ones that ruin a hobby for everyone. They drive prices up, they make people feel like they got taken advantage of if that if the seller discovers they sold it to a flipper. And lastly they make it so hard for someone just looking for a machine to enjoy to find something at a decent price.

All of the above are parts of the reason we got away from the hobby a couple years ago. But in all honesty all hobbies have plenty of people doing exactly the same thing. So I guess it is all just part of life but it does take something away from a hobby for sure.

#22282 2 years ago
Quoted from Garrett:

I had been absent from the hobby for the last 5-6 years.
An EM in non-working condition was a couple hundred dollars at best. Due to increased demand seeing the same condition pins selling for $800 or more is mind boggling.
I feel sorry for people new to the hobby paying high prices for pins that are in less than desirable playing condition and don’t know any better.
$1k or more for missing paint, cupped inserts and poor back glasses is just insane.

On the "flip side" in the past 5 years prices on everything we buy is up. Three years ago I bought a new Chevy van for $26,000 and for me to replace that van today with the same van it would cost me around $38,000 (if I can find one at sticker price). I agree some of the prices stuff is selling for is INSANE but EM's have been way under valued for at least the past 10 years (or longer).

What boggles my mind even more is the prices of some of the poorly playing early solid state machines. To see less than average playing Gottlieb System 1's or some of the Williams System 3,4 & 7 machines bringing what they are bringing has been driving me nuts. Earlier Bally & Classic Stern are the same way but at least those earlier Bally and Stern machines have some pretty nice looking art on them.

1 month later
#22479 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Spring cleaning

Plus some people need "gas money" and "food money" the way prices of everything keep going up. When money starts getting tighter people start looking at stuff they don't need and putting it up for sale. The way 2022 is starting out I think you will see a lot more stuff come up for sale this year.

#22482 2 years ago
Quoted from Ryguy80:

I agree with this. Between gas and the grocery bill becoming higher, luxury assets will become disposable. I’m debating about picking up some seasonal summer hours somewhere, in addition to my normal 9 to 5, to cover cost increases. With all the companies offering signing bonuses and increased wages because they can’t get employees, it’s become lucrative.

Around 14 years ago (when we first got into the hobby) things were very bad for some people and people were having a hard time paying their bills. I remember weeks where I picked up 6 or 8 machines without even really trying. I don't think buying is ever going to get that easy again but I do think you will see a lot more stuff coming out of people's basements this year than you have in the past 5 or 6 years. Only time will tell!

With that said anyone here in Central PA no longer needs to worry about competing with me for machines because I am no longer buying machines regardless how good the deal is. I have actually passed on a couple machines in the past few months that were as close to free as you will ever find. I just don't need to deal with moving 300 pound machines anymore at my age so have fun guys.

#22484 2 years ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

I would have thought the opposite, since usually pinball owners are better off and can handle economic downturns. Or maybe that's a misconception.

Typically it isn't pinball collectors (or "owners") putting things up for sale when things get tough. It is "Joe Average" that bought a machine (or two) 20 or 30 years ago for a family gameroom in their basement. Now the kids are off on their own and mom and dad are in the process of "downsizing" and selling off stuff they just don't need anymore.

In life you will find things typically happen in about 10 year cycles. So we are starting that next cycle of changes - inflation going up, cost of living going up, unemployment going down, interest rates going up, etc. Then in a few years things will take a turn down again and the cycle will start over again.

#22505 2 years ago

If anyone near Central PA is interested I am fairly sure we are going to sell our PROJECT Bride of Pinbot shortly. Asking price will likely be just under $3000. It does play and isn't in super bad shape but it does need a good shop job and some love. It is on deck as our next project but neither Wayne or I feel like messing with it right now so I would be willing to sell it as a project the way it sits.

I don't want to deal with taking a lot of pictures or waste a lot of time dealing with it right now. That will happen in a few weeks unless someone close wants to just stop over and grab it from me before I have a chance to deal with it.

As always way too much going on and way too little time but I thought I would put this out their just in case anyone is looking for a project Williams machine at a decent price.

#22562 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

No boards, no displays, no lockdown bar, no glass, tough sell there.

With everything that is missing from that machine I think it would be a tough sell at half their asking price. With that said I think I have a complete spare head for it if someone buys it and wants to spend another $350 (or so) on a complete head with untested boards displays and both backglasses.

We still have our Mr & Mrs Pac Man folded up waiting to work on it and somehow I ended up saving two heads for it. I don't remember exactly how that happened but I am fairly sure both heads are 100% complete & untested.

#22584 2 years ago

Wish I was closer! Just kidding!

1 week later
#22702 2 years ago

SOLD to a local pinball buddy - Pending Pick Up - if that changes I'll edit this post again!

If anyone is interested in a Sliverball Mania (project machine) with typical playfield wear, nice backglass, decent cabinet & an older Alltek MPU in it feel free to contact me. This machine was purchased by us years ago (as part of a package deal) and I never put it together to see if it plays or not. Looking for around $1000 for it as it sits. Located in Central PA (Carlisle PA about a mile from I-81 to be more exact) or I could bring it along with me when I go to the Allentown Show.

Once I have it dug out I'll list it for sale here on Pinside but for now I figured I would offer it up here in case someone local was looking for what should be a fairly easy project. I wish I could tell you more & post pictures but right now it is behind a bunch of other stuff in our basement. That is part of the reason I never set it up to see what all it might need.

If my memory is correct I also have a second head with a few boards in it I'll include for no additional money. I am hoping to have more info about this by sometime next week. I have a bad habit of posting stuff before I have it dug out - sorry I am that way!

I did find a couple pictures I had taken of the playfield in my computer so I added them to this post
DSCF7972 (resized).JPGDSCF7972 (resized).JPGDSCF7974 (resized).JPGDSCF7974 (resized).JPGDSCF7976 (resized).JPGDSCF7976 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#22789 2 years ago

Not a project machine but something that might help one of you guys who loves fixing up project SS machines. I have several hundred SS pinball machine circuit boards I would be willing to sell as a lot. As of right now I don't have a list (or pictures) but I can tell you it is between 25 and 30 stor-all boxes full of various SS boards PLUS MORE. Basically an assortment of anything and everything from the very early SS stuff up to Williams System 11 machines.

This stiff is "truly untested" and I know very little about most of it. As things stand right now I only want to sell it all as one lot. I don't want people "cherry picking" the best stuff and then having a bunch of so-so stuff in the end. (This stuff has never been picked through except for us pulling a board or two from time to time for our own use). These boards came to me from several warehouse buyouts, parting out dozens of machines over the past 10 or 12 years, and buying some of the best used boards we could find at various pinball shows. This was our "personal stash" of boards for doing repairs on machines we were selling but we have gotten away from doing that so we really don't need these anymore.

I am looking for someone "fairly local" or we could meet at either the Allentown or York PA pinball shows. WAY TOO MUCH STUFF TO EVEN CONSIDER SHIPPING!

Once I get everything in one place I'll have a better idea what all is included but I know there are several System 11 MPU's, dozens of Classic Bally & Stern Boards, dozens of earlier Gottlieb & Williams boards, All kinds of displays including a few untested DMD's & some tested DMD with a line or two out, Classic Bally & Stern Displays, Classic Williams Displays, Classic Gottlieb Displays and also a few dozen NOS Gottlieb display glass, as well as some "oddball" displays like the ones used in System 80B machines and GOD only knows what else!

As far as price I am thinking somewhere in the $5000 to $6000 range for everything (basically about 20 to 25% of realistic retail value) but I'll have a better answer on that as I get everything in one place. I know I have a habit of putting the "cart in front of the horse" but to keep stuff moving as quickly as possible I like to let my "local pinball buddies" know what is coming next.

We have sold most of our collection / I sold my pinball parts business a couple years ago / I sold our library of Pinball manuals last year & now it is finally time to clear our these boards & the rest of the pinball stuff still hanging around.

ALSO - Instead of doing a second post - sometime in the future we will have our excess Skee Ball machines parts for sale. That will be mostly Control Boxes (working & untested) / displays / various other parts & a few dozen ORIGINAL Skee Ball Balls. Once I get to the Skeeball stuff again I'll be looking to sell it all as one big lot.

#22792 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Did you and Wayne remove the batteries from the boards before storing them? Do you think the number of boxes would fit in a mini van?

Most - if not all - the batteries were removed from these boards before the went into "deep storage". Typically the first thing we do when buy machines, boards, etc, is to remove any batteries or battery holders that had any damage to prevent any further damage to boards. Some boards came to us with battery damage so some are going to be "parts boards" or boards in need of more major repairs. Other boards are perfect as far as any visible damage.

We have grabbed boards out of this stuff - toss game chips into them and installed them into a machine and had them work 100%. Other times Wayne has had to spend several hours repairing one before we could use it. So it is truly I full mix of boards in various conditions. About 50 to 75% of these came to me after Wayne had lost interest in the hobby so a good many of them he never even looked at let alone anything done to them or tested. Same thing with the majority of the displays. Stuff that was tested is labelled the rest is as it was found.

For you guys that don't know the "back story" Wayne is my son & he does 100% of our board work. He totally lost interest in the hobby about 3 years ago and I have basically been "on my own" ever since. So I am just trying to clean house with this stuff. I have moved over to the Model Railroad hobby again so I really don't need all this pinball stuff taking up space. But I am also not going to "give it away" just because I would like to gain the space back.

It drives me totally crazy knowing this stuff is sitting here and could be helping someone so that is my primary reason for offering them for sale.

As far as "volume & weight" I don't see any reason it wouldn't all fit into the back of an empty mini van. But I doubt you would have a lot of extra space once loaded.

3 weeks later
#23022 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Picked this up today, looks good. Seller texted since they are moving there is a truck in the driveway. GPS said I was there, saw the moving truck and backed up the driveway. Knocked on the door, "I'm here to pick up the pinball machine". Guy looks at me like WTF. "Your wife set it up". Turns out I was at the wrong house and the guy has 2 pinball machines and thought the wife was selling one without his knowledge. We had a good laugh. And no, his games aren't for sale, I asked!

Sounds like one of my crazy stories when I was picking up machines years ago. If it could happen it seemed to always happen to me.

#23085 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

It's Jeff Moorhead. He brings a truckload of projects to Pinfest and York shows. He's got tonnage! Good guy.

Jeff & his family work their asses off trying to get machines to people who will save them or use them for parts to save other machines. I have known Jeff pretty much ever since I have been in the hobby and I can tell you there isn't anyone who works any harder moving tonnage of machines and parts around then Jeff & his son.

Sometimes his prices seem a little high or his machines seem a little rough but he does all he can to get this stuff to people who will do something with it. Anyway - he might not be the cheapest around but he is a man of his word.

#23150 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

The bagatelle board is snapped in half, playfield worn to wood, and the seller has two other people interested so it became an auction and I passed. The floor of the building is collapsing, so Beltman isn't going to pick this up.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

It amazes me that people don't see the value in machines like this. The four Stern drop targets are worth $500 and there is at least another $500 worth of other parts on this machine and that is assuming it isn't the hard to find transformer assembly in it. People are all but killing to get Classic Stern parts and yet everyone looks at something like this and says "I wouldn't pay $100 for that".

If I was still doing the pinball parts I would gladly pay $400 to $500 for what is left of that machine and that investment would help a half dozen (or more) people either build or save other Stern machines. But before I made it into parts I would access it closely to see if it was worth saving. Even though most of my business model for years was based on parts I never parted out a machine that was worth saving even if I made 1/2 as much money selling the machine as a project instead of parting it out.

#23190 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

What is that massive dirt pile that was under the apron? I think I would of scraped that out before loading it.

Since is was under the apron my guess is he discovered that once he got home and likely quickly disposed of it. Looks like a Mud Daubers nest to me. Mud Daubers are a PITA but they are good to control some other insects so in a way they are not a bad thing to have around.

2 months later
#23613 1 year ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I won an auction I found off this link. Thanks!!
Now I need to find a way to snag the Target Alpha head and the KOD project I won on Thursday in a tight window.
Auction conditions say I must pick up in Upper Black Eddy, PA on Thursday 8/11 between 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm (500 miles away)
I'm 500 miles away and going to a concert the night prior. Going to be a long day if I can't find some help.

I would offer to help you out but sadly I am going to be heading to Ohio later this week. Perhaps another Pinside member could grab it for you. Problem is Upper Black Eddy is far enough away I don't know who might be up in that area. Kind of close to Allentown, PA if anyone in Allentown might be able to give you a hand.

1 week later
#23669 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

50 miles from home pulling a trailer in a thunderstorm and getting the text that they sold to another, I'm not crying either, but I am swearing a bit...
Oh yeah, what was the deal with the other pins? Already sold?

Sometimes sellers don't understand what they put buyers through when they sell something after making a deal with you. One day I drove over 2 hours (one way) just to arrive at the sellers house and seeing the machines I was suppose to be picking up sitting in has driveway in the back of someone else's truck. Over $100 in wasted fuel, 5 hours wasted time, and not even an "I'M SORRY from the seller.

4 months later
#24042 1 year ago
Quoted from hoov:

Seashore project $250 missing bg in Dayton Ohio (not mine)
[quoted image]

I was just getting ready to add this one! Lock bar & chime unit alone are worth the asking price!

2 months later
#24450 1 year ago

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2031589387232189/?

Seems like a heck of a deal! Sorry I am not smart enough to just do a link

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-project-pins-for-sale-here-cl-ebay-pinside-and-others?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.