Topic Stats

• 15,211 posts
  • 489 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by cjmiller
  • Topic is favorited by 433 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,273 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0DDBBBF2-2D3A-4E24-AA36-62E7C7B004B9 (resized).jpeg
E983F922-D041-4CC6-9372-88ED245725AB (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
CEB3A291-9CD5-492B-89AF-B95FA0BF4BF2 (resized).jpeg
20191130_180925_resized (resized).jpg
dd0b0fe665643c7a33e9a2cf1634e8bd (resized).jpg
CA07CB38-C615-4E7D-B858-343002B43066 (resized).png
ABA346CF-33E9-4428-B6DD-AEF82F6BF673 (resized).jpeg
games (resized).JPG
D2411960-B38D-4908-8B06-623CD941D2FD.jpeg
where is my crutch (resized).jpg
20180725_103320 (resized).png
FB_IMG_1529754894326 (resized).jpg
20191106_094259_resized (resized).jpg
6CD10275-E512-4762-BE1C-1EE0B479F963.gif
20190903_204141_resized (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coffin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9698 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Manufacturer: Bally
Game/Type: Little Joe / EM 4 Player
Month/Year: September 1971
Production: 2,080
Cost: $300 OBO
Contact/Link: houston.craigslist.org link
OP: 1972 Little Joe Pinball Machine. Does not work or turn on. Not sure what's wrong with it, just trying to get rid of it now (Open to Offers)

Well here it goes... my first post on the Pinside forum. I made what i think is a reasonable offer on this, given that it's not rated very highly and is not functioning.

I just recently got into pins and have picked up two in the past couple of months through craigslist. I brought a Gottlieb "The Games" (SS) back from the dead, and am working through my first dead EM machine (Williams Dealer's Choice) now.

Watching this thread topic multiple times daily is not helping my crazy urge to acquire more project pins.

Chris

#9722 1 year ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I am honored, Chris, that you chose the Project Pin thread to make your first post.

Thanks Pecos! It's really hard to stay away from the thread at this point.

I read your background story earlier and noticed that you advised against taking on a System 80 as a project pin. Well... i did exactly that with my Gottlieb/Mylstar The Games as my very first project. Maybe i got lucky with this one. Only the backbox lights came on when i picked it up. It is entirely functional now with only a few minor things to track down (couple of stubborn playfield lights not working and a pop bumper randomly firing sometimes). I thoroughly enjoyed troubleshooting the issues on it and part of the fixes involved circuit board repair on the sound board (replaced a 7404 because the CPU wasn't getting the reset signal). I also love the game play and skill shots required for it. I think it's a very underrated game.

Quoted from Pecos:

Most of us here completely understand that statement!

I just need to continue to reassure my wife that i will be fixing up and reselling what i can, and not keeping every project i pick up.

#9728 1 year ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

The trick is selling just enough to keep the wife happy until you are totally out of space. Then at that point you have to sell one for every one you buy anyway.

Sounds like you have some experience in this department.

There's another demon i am fighting as well. In watching CL, Ebay, FB Marketplace, Pinside, sometimes a working machine comes up that looks enticing. However, i am trying to have some self-control and just limit myself to affordable systems that are in need of repair. For one, they are generally cheap to pick up (though not always it seems), and second i really enjoy the troubleshooting and bringing them back to life. I honestly think i enjoy the fixing more than i do playing.

Quoted from too-many-pins:

As far as starting with a System 80 machine -- as long as the ground demons don't get you they are really no worse than any other project machine. Just remember if a System 80 does not have "ground mods" and is having issues the FIRST thing you want to do is do the ground mods. If it works OK without them great but if not do the mods first and save yourself some time down the road.

Agreed. There is an avalanche of data that i have found on the system 80s and lots of guidance on problems and what to look at when you are seeing them. I did perform the ground mods as i was noticing resets during game play and overall flaky behavior beforehand. I also had sound when i first got the machine up and running, but lost it a few days later. Not really sure, but i hadn't performed the ground mods at that point, but did perform them soon after. I later traced the sound problem to a bad 7404 on the sound board.

Chris

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coffin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside