ww2 (resized).JPG
nne (resized).JPG
19E4C046-C05E-4FCA-8A51-3A8A22907BCD (resized).png
llk (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 2.16.38?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 2.14.14?PM (resized).png
hh (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 25,989 posts in this topic. You are on page 383 of 520.
#19102 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Flying Circus
Gottlieb em
$450
Gloucester, va
Pinsider jrdjhnson
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/107159

Very pretty game and looks to be in good cosmetic shape.

#19103 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It’s each, when I went to the Amish auction in July they did that with the neon signs and I was confused as hell I paid double. That’s how it works. $225 for the shadow alone was a killer deal. Some of the working pins went for decent prices too.

I go to a Friday night auction all of the time. I have been bit when they say "2 times the money". I thought I was bidding $10.00 and turns out it was $20.00.

#19104 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I go to a Friday night auction all of the time. I have been bit when they say "2 times the money". I thought I was bidding $10.00 and turns out it was $20.00.

So do you only pay half in a Dutch auction?

#19105 3 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

Holy crap! I would have bought them all lol

Right!?!? Even if they didnt have boards.... im sure there was still at least 225.00 in parts out of each one.

#19106 3 years ago

Anyone interested in a 1936 Mills "Tycoon"? Part slot, part pin? Needs some work. As projects do.

MT-3 (resized).jpgMT-3 (resized).jpgMT-4 (resized).jpgMT-4 (resized).jpgMT-8 (resized).jpgMT-8 (resized).jpgMT-9 (resized).jpgMT-9 (resized).jpg
#19107 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

So do you only pay half in a Dutch auction?

Here is the way the auctioneer works it at his auction.

Let's talk in terms of pinball machines to see pit easy.

Choice: Auctioneer puts 5 pin up for sale on Choice. I want the Eight Ball Delux. And you want the the Evil Kanievel. But we don't know that we want a different pins in that lot. So, we start bidding up. And then you win the bid and I am sweating because I really want that EBD. But I get lucky and you take the EK.

And then the auctioneer asks if anybody else wants to choose form what is left. So, I can get the EBD for the same money as you just paid for your EK. Or I can take a chance and see if I get it cheaper on the 2nd time around.

But when the auctioneer comes back to sell the other 4 pins, he may do the Choice with what is left and I just might get that EBD for cheaper. Or, the auctioneer may decide to sell the 4 remaining pins as one lot. And now if I want that EBD I will have to buy 4 pins to get the one I wanted.
=============================

One lot: Auctioneer has 3 pinball machines for sale as one lot. So you are bidding on all 3 and you will buy all 3.
=======================================

Times the money: The auctioneer cannot get anyone to bid on one pin in the above example. So he will say " all 3 pins for one money" to keep the auction moving.
=============

He will say, " I have these pinball machine for 3 times the money. So if you think you buying one for $200.00 you are mistaken. You are buying 3 pins for $200.00 each.
=================

Sometimes the auctioneer's call out for "times the money" goes by pretty fast and I think I am buying a power drill and a belt sander for $20.00. But I missed the part where the auctioneer said "times the money" and wind up paying $40.00.

I have never been to a Dutch auction and I am not familiar with them.

Every auctioneer can make their own rules. You really have to pay attention.

#19108 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Choice: Auctioneer puts 5 pin up for sale on Choice. I want the Eight Ball Delux. And you want the the Evil Kanievel. But we don't know that we want a different pins in that lot. So, we start bidding up. And then you win the bid and I am sweating because I really want that EBD. But I get lucky and you take the EK.
And then the auctioneer asks if anybody else wants to choose form what is left. So, I can get the EBD for the same money as you just paid for your EK. Or I can take a chance and see if I get it cheaper on the 2nd time around.
But when the auctioneer comes back to sell the other 4 pins, he may do the Choice with what is left and I just might get that EBD for cheaper. Or, the auctioneer may decide to sell the 4 remaining pins as one lot. And now if I want that EBD I will have to buy 4 pins to get the one I wanted.
One lot: Auctioneer has 3 pinball machines for sale as one lot. So you are bidding on all 3 and you will buy all 3.
Times the money: The auctioneer cannot get anyone to bid on one pin in the above example. So he will say " all 3 pins for one money" to keep the auction moving.
=============
He will say, " I have these pinball machine for 3 times the money. So if you think you buying one for $200.00 you are mistaken. You are buying 3 pins for $200.00 each.
=================
Sometimes the auctioneer's call out for "times the money" goes by pretty fast and I think I am buying a power drill and a belt sander for $20.00. But I missed the part where the auctioneer said "times the money" and wind up paying $40.00.

This is ridiculously and needlessly complex AND it puts the seller at a disadvantage.
Potentially great for a guy looking to get machines at "steal" type prices...seems like the auctioneer is being lazy and values his time more than his client's stuff. I wouldn't hire such an auctioneer.

#19109 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have never been to a Dutch auction and I am not familiar with them....

That was a joke son, a joke I say. (Boy’s as sharp as the leading edge of a basketball, basketball that is)

#19110 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

That was a joke son, a joke I say. (Boy’s as sharp as the leading edge of a basketball, basketball that is)

Sorry. I did not see your joke icon.

#19111 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sorry. I did not see your joke icon.

I like to sneak my jokes in. No apologies or offense intended my friend. When you go Dutch (as on a date you split the tab) thought it was a clever play on the theme. Ymmv
Your description of auction practices was very informative. They certainly play a few games to keep the bids coming in and you have to think confusion of the bidders is certainly one of their objectives.

#19112 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Our favorite when Super Auctions used to come here to Columbus back about 10-15 years ago was the "Phantom" bids. Auctioneer got caught and called on it one time when he couldn't even keep up with his shenanigan's and lost track of the bids and had no one to confirm who bid. LOL

#19113 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

=============
=================

Oh yeah. They’re sneaky. They just wanna jack the prices up and get paid.

Quoted from Ceckitti:

Our favorite when Super Auctions used to come here to Columbus back about 10-15 years ago was the "Phantom" bids. Auctioneer got caught and called on it one time when he couldn't even keep up with his shenanigan's and lost track of the bids and had no one to confirm who bid. LOL

That Amish guy definitely ran those a few times and shamelessly just restarted or skipped some items.
If anyone in this thread hasn’t heard this sage advice, let me dispense it now: always keep an eye on the Amish! They are sneaky and ruthless businessmen. A family friend grew up in and left the Amish life. The stories he told me were outlandish and enlightening.

#19114 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

Man, I remember those auctions. Bring your own extension cord! I was playing a High Speed there once and smoke started rolling out of the head.

I bought one game there. Prices were not great from what I remember.

#19115 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Man, I remember those auctions. Bring your own extension cord! I was playing a High Speed there once and smoke started rolling out of the head.

The smoke is a rare mod - that is extra.

#19116 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

A family friend grew up in and left the Amish life. The stories he told me were outlandish and enlightening.

I used to think they were a cool subculture, until I did some database work for a school district with a large population. Once I heard how they screwed their kids over RE: education, I was disabused of that illusion.

#19117 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

I was in the used car biz for 3 years the early 90s. I won't say "common" but it was frequent practice for the auctioneer to get a bid from what we called "wall money" meaning you were bidding against the wall. so, if you were bidding you were also looking around and trying to find who was bidding against you.

Everybody knew it happened. But it did not happen often. It was just accepted. Your protection is know your market and have a good idea that what you were bidding on was worth.

The Friday night auction I go to does not do the phantom bidding practice.

But people get emotional once they start bidding. And you can play some games. One night, there was an original oil painting for sale. It was a scene of some ducks lifting out of the water. Man cave stuff because your old lady is not going to havre in in her living room. I would not of having it for 5 or 10 dollars.

I saw an old boy down on the first row to ask one of the floor runners to bring that painting up to the auction block.

Two things here:

1) He is getting tired and wants to go home and does not want to wait all night for the painting to come u for sale.

and

2) He wants that painting.

Normally, on a good night, this painting might have brought $20.00 He started bidding and I was his opponent. He was down low on the bleachers and I was 4 rows higher. I could see him; He did not know I existed. The bidding started going up. When the painting got to $50.00 the auctioneers started getting excited with two hot bidders going at it. I finally let the guy have that painting for $70.00.
=============================================================

When you are young and looking for action, you head for the nightclubs where all the pretty ladies are supposed to be.

When you get older and finally realize your picking-up-chicks-days are behind you, you go to auctions. There is no admission charge and if you keep your hands in your pockets they are cheap entertainment. After 2-3 years of accumulating auction junk I decide I wanted to make some changes so I took some things back to the auction to sell.

One item I had was a fire place mantle piece. It was cheap porcelain, white in color, and was gilded with a few imitation gold stripes. It was 4 musicians with their violins playing chamber music. It was made in China and there was a chunk of porcelain broken out of the top surface. But it looked good on the fireplace mantle. I paid $5.00 for it.

Since I was selling I did not go to auction that night. When I picked up my check and the invoice for items I sold, I saw that the mantle piece I paid $5.00 for sold for $100.00. I also took a 4 drawer file cabinet to sell that same night. It brought $1.00.

#19118 3 years ago

My grandad used to haunt auctions. He would bid on things and stuff them in some old houses he owned. We had to clean those out eventually. Just random stuff, like a control panel from the White Sand nuclear testing facility. One time, he idly bid on a house for $3k, and accidentally won it. And that house is the one he offered to my parents when they were thinking about moving back to Kansas, so I guess it was a good thing, as that is where I met my lovely wife....

#19119 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I won't say "common" but it was frequent practice for the auctioneer to get a bid from what we called "wall money" meaning you were bidding against the wall. so, if you were bidding you were also looking around and trying to find who was bidding against you.

When I go to auctions, I generally stay near the back of the room so I can see what's going on throughout the room. I've already looked at all the items by that point, so I don't need to see them up close when they come up.

So, if an auctioneer tried to bid against the wall, I'd see that. So far, I haven't seen it happen while I was bidding (probably since the auctioneer knows what I'm doing in the back), but I have seen it played on people sitting near the front of the room before.

The other reason I like the back is so I can see the other bidders and what they're doing. Sometimes you can tell how far they are willing to go or when they put their last bid in before bowing out.

#19120 3 years ago

Just to mention my own ad I just put up for Fire Queen.

I’m not sure how to link the ad to this post. If you’re interested, do a quick search. Thanks

#19121 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

When I go to auctions, I generally stay near the back of the room so I can see what's going on throughout the room. I've already looked at all the items by that point, so I don't need to see them up close when they come up.
So, if an auctioneer tried to bid against the wall, I'd see that. So far, I haven't seen it happen while I was bidding (probably since the auctioneer knows what I'm doing in the back), but I have seen it played on people sitting near the front of the room before.
The other reason I like the back is so I can see the other bidders and what they're doing. Sometimes you can tell how far they are willing to go or when they put their last bid in before bowing out.

I would also stay near the back to see who I was bidding against. Not just the wall money, but auctioneers have been known to use "shills" or associates who will bid up the prices for the auctioneer, but they bow out when the price gets to a level the auctioneer is happy with. In this case, you can see a real person bidding (the shill), but they have no intention to win the item.

#19122 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Just to mention my own ad I just put up for Fire Queen.
I’m not sure how to link the ad to this post. If you’re interested, do a quick search. Thanks

damn, would love to have this one, just a couple thousand miles too far. GLWS

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/107229

#19123 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I would also stay near the back to see who I was bidding against. Not just the wall money, but auctioneers have been known to use "shills" or associates who will bid up the prices for the auctioneer, but they bow out when the price gets to a level the auctioneer is happy with. In this case, you can see a real person bidding (the shill), but they have no intention to win the item.

I would imagine that happens on fleabay a lot?

#19124 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Yup.

#19126 3 years ago

When I went to every super auction in mesquite bitd
The same guy would shill bid for the auctioneer

So I would stick close to him, and if I bid I paid real close attention to where the bid came from, more than. A few times it was him, and the auctioneer would be pressuring me, and I would say , WHO has the bid, and when he couldn't find him I'd say I'm confused, I don't see anyone bidding, looking straight at shill guy, usually the auctioneer would have to reset it back to my bid and shill would hide

This behavior happens in large equipment auctions too and it's disgraceful, but if you call them out on it can make for some great deals too

#19127 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Quoted from Slogan1111:

Also known as a reserve.

#19128 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Also known as a reserve.

There's a very big difference between a reserve price and shill bidding. Shill bidding is quite unethical, and in some jurisdictions, considered fraud and illegal.

ebay specifically has a reserve price feature (as do many other auction platforms), which is perfectly fine to use. Auction houses are free to set reserves as well.

#19129 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

ebay specifically has a reserve price feature

As well, they have a shill bidding policy....

ebay.com link: selling practices policy

#19130 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Also known as a reserve.

A deceptive, bad practice, illegal reserve!

#19131 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

I have made some people pay more than they would have. Ebay's automatic bidding can get you all beat up.

I was trying to buy a circuit board recently. The bid was at $15.00. I made my bid and the other bidder's automatic Ebay bid kept over topping me. I would bid and get over topped. At around $40.00 someone else got in on the bidding as I got out. The circuit board wound up selling for $70.00.

Amazingly, a couple of weeks later another one of these boards came up for sale. This time I went to an auction snipe site and got the board for $15.00.

Several years ago, a pair of expensive automotive head lights came up for sale. The seller was selling them separately. If I could have bought them for the right price I would have bought them. There was one bidder bidding on both auctions. I made my 1st bid on the lefthand head light. I was overbid with Ebay's automatic bidder. I kept walking it up. Ebay kept overbidding me.

If I remember correctly the bidding was at $75.00 for this headlight assembly. New units were selling for $450.00 each. I think I bid up to $200.00 and figured out this other guy had his Ebay automatic bidder set for $250.00. So, I went the the right hand side auction and big it at $200.00 which immediately jacked the other bidder's automatic bid up to over $200.00.

I never use Ebay's automatic bidder because it is too easy to game. If you want to make a hidden bid, the auction snipe sites are the only way to go.

#19132 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I remember one of the Columbus auctions had a Star Trek cockpit arcade actually catch fire when it was being auctioned off lol. But im pretty sure most of them did that at some point anyway.

#19133 3 years ago

Clean looking Strange Science for sale here...

https://www.estatesales.net/IL/Mundelein/60060/2750664

Also a United's 'Alpha' shuffle bowler that looks like its in good shape also....

#19134 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There's a very big difference between a reserve price and shill bidding. Shill bidding is quite unethical, and in some jurisdictions, considered fraud and illegal.
ebay specifically has a reserve price feature (as do many other auction platforms), which is perfectly fine to use. Auction houses are free to set reserves as well.

Oh I agree. Shill bidding is definitely sketch. But my point was you are bidding against the owner, or an agent of the owner and they are setting the price they want to sell it for. Essentially, the only difference between shill bidding and a reserve is that shill bidding is setting the reserve "on the fly", where overall excitement from the bidders, or a particular bidder, can raise or lower the price they let it go for. Most likely only raising the price.

#19135 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Oh I agree. Shill bidding is definitely sketch. But my point was you are bidding against the owner, or an agent of the owner and they are setting the price they want to sell it for. Essentially, the only difference between shill bidding and a reserve is that shill bidding is setting the reserve "on the fly", where overall excitement from the bidders, or a particular bidder, can raise or lower the price they let it go for. Most likely only raising the price.

That is a good explanation. Shill bidders are the reserve price. If a live auction tries to put reserves on it will find that is a good way to kill an auction.

#19136 3 years ago

The only difference is honesty.

#19138 3 years ago

Anyone want a Sea Raider? Took on a few projects and coming back to reality I’m not going to get to them all. $650 obo Chapel Hill Nc. Barn fresh, will need love to bring to life but it’s complete E6C8F64D-B264-469C-8E2E-0ABA6AC3C767 (resized).jpegE6C8F64D-B264-469C-8E2E-0ABA6AC3C767 (resized).jpeg

3BA277E7-5524-45DC-A6C5-8E2B96B9AB09 (resized).jpeg3BA277E7-5524-45DC-A6C5-8E2B96B9AB09 (resized).jpeg57B98ED9-4330-4547-A3F2-5834D6C8BEC9 (resized).jpeg57B98ED9-4330-4547-A3F2-5834D6C8BEC9 (resized).jpeg71734A79-CA95-44CC-965B-787C4123670E (resized).jpeg71734A79-CA95-44CC-965B-787C4123670E (resized).jpeg

Added over 3 years ago:

Game is spoken for

#19140 3 years ago

A pair of Gottlieb King Pins for $500 for both. Supposedly one works and one does not.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2836825526572593/

#19141 3 years ago

Triple Strike
Williams em
$295 obo
Pinsider @pjhanne
Franklin, wi
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/107119

#19142 3 years ago

Alien pinball - $575: baltimore.craigslist.org link

It's not what you think, but I couldn't resist sharing!

-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#19143 3 years ago

Trident (ss)
Ice Revue (em)
Flash (ss)
$1500 obo for all three
Pinsider @jwwhite15
Bakersfield Ca
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-california-for-sale-club-and-wanted-too/page/193#post-6021584

#19144 3 years ago

Circa 1933
Fascination ss
$500
Nashville, TN
nashville.craigslist.org link

#19145 3 years ago

Seller dropped price to $300

#19146 3 years ago

Just posted this game

Machine - For Sale
Sky Kings Archived
Fully shopped/refurbished - “This Sky Kings looks great and plays great. Backglass is excellent. Playfield has very little wear. Game has all new rubbers. Game will be setup in garage for easy loading.”
2020-12-19
Merrimack, NH
400 (OBO)
Archived after: 5 days
Viewed: 260 times
Contributed to Pinside

#19147 3 years ago

Posted on Mr Pinball this AM:

Gorgar, 1979 Williams: 1200
Project machine, complete with good cosmetics and clean boards.
Mike Phone: 651-227-9520
[email protected], St. Paul, Minnesota

#19148 3 years ago

#aztec
Xenon

For auction- Ramseur, NC 1-17-21. Lots of signage, jukes. Pins look to be in good shape...

http://www.gotoauction.com//feed/es_c1003.php?es_id=1398&id=227722&feed_type=200&es_cfid=3759

#19149 3 years ago

1930's Genco Buster Ball pin for auction here...

https://www.estatesales.net/TN/Covington/38019/2745543

#19150 3 years ago

Somebody had an annoying wife back in the day lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 45.00
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes
Cabinet parts
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 10.00
$ 3.00
Hardware
20eyes
Hardware
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 31.00
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 10.00
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
1,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delaware, OH
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
There are 25,989 posts in this topic. You are on page 383 of 520.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-project-pins-for-sale-here-cl-ebay-pinside-and-others/page/383?hl=ss-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.