Topic Stats

• 13,556 posts
  • 454 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by bluespin
  • Topic is favorited by 406 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,084 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

00H0H_dNaDfnOGkwY_1200x900 (resized).jpg
00L0L_3iJFLR1k8TG_1200x900 (resized).jpg
s-l1602 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-08-17-01-53-55 (resized).png
83B4657B-56CF-421E-81C1-B14804276023 (resized).jpeg
780977D1-CCA5-4E9A-8906-1C32CC301EB3 (resized).jpeg
111101C9-A0F9-4A3A-B9C5-BBAD7BAB3BC5 (resized).jpeg
945EB39C-AE5F-43D7-9C35-83C2DC37197C (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 6.37.57 PM (resized).png
image-2 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-08-12-16-33-38 (resized).png
20170329_221849(1) (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-08-10-14-10-04 (resized).png
13A4B419-3066-4286-B478-52EBF1818392 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190809_104247 (resized).jpg

There are 13556 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 272.
#851 3 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Manufacturer: Bally
Game/Type: Space Invaders / SS 4 Player
Month/Year: May 1979
Production: 11,400
Cost: $400
Link/Contact: chicago.craigslist.org link
Condition: OP: "This is a project machine, playfield and cabinet in good shape
plastics in pretty good shape
needs new backglass, next to no image left.
Does NOT work
I removed almost all items from the playfield for cleaning, and have not put them back. playfield is unpopulated.
the main board probably should be replaced, all boards available online
good machine to restore
willing to trade for a bally or Williams arcade"

I could of had this one for $200 couple of years ago from the original seller, it was so bad I walked away from it. Playfield & cabinet are fair at best, the backglasses are shot. This guy picked it up after I passed on it. He seems to be a local flipper.

#852 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I could of had this one for $200 couple of years ago from the original seller, it was so bad I walked away from it. Playfield & cabinet are fair at best, the backglasses are shot. This guy picked it up after I passed on it. He seems to be a local flipper.

It looks like he didn't hold onto it for too long....apparently just long enough to rip it apart and then try to sell it without reassembling it first. What an ass. Probably a flipper that has no idea what he is doing with pins...hence his offer to trade for an arcade now. Who knows how many parts he "lost" disassembling and de-populating the PF.

#853 3 years ago

I hate to say it, but the only thing you are doing by posting CL ads on here is driving the prices up. Now instead of 1 or 2 local guys going to look at a game there are 50 people calling and the seller thinks he has a gold mine. You're not doing anybody any favors.
just my opinion, Bob

#854 3 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

I hate to say it, but the only thing you are doing by posting CL ads on here is driving the prices up. Now instead of 1 or 2 local guys going to look at a game there are 50 people calling and the seller thinks he has a gold mine. You're not doing anybody any favors.
just my opinion, Bob

I wouldn't agree. I don't think 50 people are calling these sellers about any game listed on here, specifically not Pinsiders who know what games are actually worth. If one or two people call or contact them to bust their chops, I'm sure the seller doesn't automatically think they have a high demand item.

In all reality, most people who sell games on CL aren't Pinside members or hobbyists also...they are people with one game that they probably bought cheap. Then at some point they think they have something worth $10k because they saw some moron selling the game for that much on eBay. There are certainly exceptions, but I think most Pinsiders who list games on CL occasionally (such as myself) list their games for reasonable prices, and they aren't (for the most part) the subject matter of this thread. If anybody on here reading these posts are calling people selling these games in volume at these prices, at some point they should seriously consider buying a Mr. Pinball price guide or hitting pinballprice.com.

#855 3 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Manufacturer: Midway
Game/Type: 2x Rotation VIII/ SS Cocktail 4 Player
Month/Year: September 1978
Production: Unknown
Cost: $600
Link/Contact: desmoines.craigslist.org link
Condition: OP: "This is one of the coolest pinball machines I have ever seen... The playfield rotates around to who ever's turn it is to play. There are 4 plungers around the outside of the table.. I have 2 of them... The insides look pretty clean and I am sure you could get one going out of the 2. It also would be the coolest coffee table ever for the pinball fanatic even if it didn't work. I got these in a storage unit and don't know anything about them. They look complete inside. I also have the glass for the top but took them off for the pictures."

Wow! I've never seen one of these in person. Always wanted to, though. If you've never seen the player-to-player rotation, it is really something to behold:

Can't believe someone found TWO of these in a storage unit buy. Nice hunting, Pecos!

#856 3 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

just my opinion, Bob

I thumbs'd-down this post in respectful disagreement. I don't think the sixty-some-odd followers of this thread (scattered about the united states...and really, the world) are all going to descend upon any given listing in here.

On top of that, I'm really thankful this thread exists because it alerted me to a project (Paul Bunyan) in my area that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. For the condition it was in, the seller wanted too much, but after staying in contact with the seller for a few weeks (and trying to help him sell it) he ended up telling me he'd sell it to me for a far more reasonable price. In that context, the price certainly didn't sky-rocket out of proportion.

Finally, the large majority of the time I just like to see what projects are surfacing around the country, which I'm guessing holds true for many of the people following this thread, as this is not a localized listing by any means. ...like that Rotation VIII for example! What a find! Not a project I'd pull the trigger on, but wow, nice to know there are a couple more in the world.

Keep up the intrepid work on this thread Pecos (and the several others, including myself, who don't hold a candle to Pecos' Prolific Project Pinball Postings)!

Grateful,
Ryan

#857 3 years ago

Sorry, my last post was more for the funny thread on ridiculous prices on CL, eBay, etc....

For this thread, I appreciate these getting posted. I have seen a few instances where the seller either upped the price or removed it and then relisted it for more after getting contact, but I really don't think it's been all that much. For the most part, it seems like this thread helps us find great deals we may have otherwise missed...without any jacking of prices or problems from the original seller before Pecos or someone else reposts it. Just my opinion.

#858 3 years ago

That's why the voice mail box was full on a local Fl. CL ad a few days back and I did not get it, nor did my friends in the area.
Been at this hobby a long time, it doesn't help. Everyone knows how to look things up, let them.

#859 3 years ago

Ya i really dont think we're all rushing to get projects and you cant drive up prices on fixed price listings. Just keep doing the good deed Pecos. Every once in a while i see somthing i might go have a look at.

#860 3 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

That's why the voice mail box was full on a local Fl. CL ad a few days back and I did not get it, nor did my friends in the area.

That tells us nothing. Most people that have full mailboxes are people that owe money, and they leave their mailboxes full so debt collectors can't get through. And if it is that good of a deal when the original seller lists it, enough of us pay plenty of attention to CL, eBay and other places that we would find it eventually anyway (assuming it is still there when we do actually come across it). I too have been in this hobby for quite a while, but haven't been on Pinside that long. That didn't prevent me from getting several games at excellent prices over the years.

If it was a Fathom or TZ for $300, then I think the guy would get bombarded with calls. If you're pissed off because you missed out on a game that was a good deal, so be it. All of us have missed out on a game that was a good deal at some time or another. If you miss out on 10 games purely as a result of this thread...by all means let us or Pecos know.

#861 3 years ago

I'll post projects on here without any cause of concern. If I want a project in a four hours window of where I live I'm going to buy it long before it gets to this site. If I don't want it I see no problem passing to another one of the nice guys contributing to this page. If a pin was for sale and it was a "deal" it sold on cl in ten minutes. If you're waiting til the guy has ten messages in his box you weren't getting it anyways. Cl is a dog fight for pins. The guys I compete with on there for good deals are some of my best friends. You stil have to be quick. This page is not hurting anything

#862 3 years ago

Bottom line these days is GREAT DEALS are gone with in minutes of them being listed. GOOD DEALS last a few hours (if you are lucky). I agree this thread is likely making more people aware of "good deals" but if you are truly looking to buy in your area you likely have already contacted seller before it ever gets posted here.

I have contacted 8 or 10 people after machines have been listed here and they are already long gone. So I think this thread might help sellers more than it helps buyers but it is still interesting to see what is for sale all over the U.S.

#863 3 years ago

The market changed sometime around last June, at least for EM's. I started collecting in late 2013 when it was still possible to find a good project in the $250-$350 range every week or two. Now, it's like maybe one per month... if that... and often not in very good condition and/or severely overpriced. Sure hope the well isn't drying up!

I like threads like this because it helps the market maintain fluidity and calls out the sky-high crazy unrealistic prices.

#864 3 years ago

Welcome beep! You are always welcome to voice your opinions pertinent to this thread.

Even the most casual of observers will recognize that I believe that the Project Pins thread serves some beneficial purposes. Why else would I spend so much time looking for and posting these project pinball machines?

Project pins are like those older mutts at the animal shelter that no one wants. Unless they are given away for free or at a bargain price, they tend to hang around a while. By listing those "mutts" here, I am hoping to get the project pins into the hands of the very people who know how to bring these pieces of Americana back to life. Pinside is the perfect place to find the lovers of project pins who can appreciate and respect these remarkable machines.

There are people who can't afford the latest Stern pinball. I hope that those people will find their way to the Project Pins thread and find an affordable pinball that only needs a little TLC to get it working again.

I am hopeful that Pinsiders who have never tackled a pinball project can, with the help of this thread and the many awesome restoration threads on this site, tackle the restoration of a broken down EM or SS pinball project. Clay's site and Vid's informational threads gave me the confidence I needed to restore the mechanics and playfield of my Williams 1969 Expo EM. I would like to share the challenges and joys of restoring a pinball machine destined for the scrap heap with you good people here at Pinside.

Most sellers of project pins on this thread have better prices and nicer pins than you generally find on Craigslist. They often give a price break to Pinsiders or give Pinsiders first dibs at a machine because they would prefer to sell a project pinball to a Pinsider.

Pinside benefits with a small commission when a Pinsider clicks on an eBay ad and then buys a pinball machine on eBay. I don't know if that is still true, but it was when I joined six months ago.

As for this thread raising the price of project pins, you would have to ask those people who found and bought a pinball on this thread. I know some, as Ryan Claytor has said, have gotten a project pinball for less than the listed CL price.

And lastly, not leastly, thank you to all of you whose name I recognize for your support.

#865 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

The market changed sometime around last June, at least for EM's. I started collecting in late 2013 when it was still possible to find a good project in the $250-$350 range every week or two. Now, it's like maybe one per month... if that... and often not in very good condition and/or severely overpriced. Sure hope the well isn't drying up!
I like threads like this because it helps the market maintain fluidity and calls out the sky-high crazy unrealistic prices.

Bottom line with pins & prices is: Old operators warehouses are pretty much a thing of the past, so most pinball machines are currently in the hand of collectors or home owners. As interest in the hobby increases supply will keep getting smaller and prices will continue to go up.

20 years ago there were buildings full of machines and very little interest in them - now you have new machines with price point of $7500 to $10,000 (out of logical reach for most working class people) so demand is well above supply for used machines. I think this trend will continue for at least another 10 years but no one knows for sure.

Two things I can tell you for sure is prices on most machines have gone up dramatically over the past 5 or 6 years and I am finding it much harder to buy machines these days. Thankfully we have our collection about where we want it and have some excess machines to sell off this coming year.

#866 3 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Welcome beep! You are always welcome to voice your opinions pertinent to this thread.
Even the most casual of observers will recognize that I believe that the Project Pins thread serves some beneficial purposes. Why else would I spend so much time looking for and posting these project pinball machines?
Project pins are like those older mutts at the animal shelter that no one wants. Unless they are given away for free or at a bargain price, they tend to hang around a while. By listing those "mutts" here, I am hoping to get the project pins into the hands of the very people who know how to bring these pieces of Americana back to life. Pinside is the perfect place to find the lovers of project pins who can appreciate and respect these remarkable machines.
There are people who can't afford the latest Stern pinball. I hope that those people will find their way to the Project Pins thread and find an affordable pinball that only needs a little TLC to get it working again.
I am hopeful that Pinsiders who have never tackled a pinball project can, with the help of this thread and the many awesome restoration threads on this site, tackle the restoration of a broken down EM or SS pinball project. Clay's site and Vid's informational threads gave me the confidence I needed to restore the mechanics and playfield of my Williams 1969 Expo EM. I would like to share the challenges and joys of restoring a pinball machine destined for the scrap heap with you good people here at Pinside.
Most sellers of project pins on this thread have better prices and nicer pins than you generally find on Craigslist. They often give a price break to Pinsiders or give Pinsiders first dibs at a machine because they would prefer to sell a project pinball to a Pinsider.
Pinside benefits with a small commission when a Pinsider clicks on an eBay ad and then buys a pinball machine on eBay. I don't know if that is still true, but it was when I joined six months ago.
As for this thread raising the price of project pins, you would have to ask those people who found and bought a pinball on this thread. I know some, as Ryan Claytor has said, have gotten a project pinball for less than the listed CL price.
And lastly, not leastly, thank you to all of you whose name I recognize for your support.

Pecos,

I know this post had made it somewhat harder for me to get some of the "local deals" but I still love it and look at it at least a couple times a day. As with anything in life - something good results in something bad for someone else at times but overall I think this post is a great idea.

One suggestion I would make to people trying to buy machines is DON'T get too crazy with prices you are offering for them. Offer what you think is fair - if you get the machine GREAT - if not move on. There will always be another one down the road shortly.

Keep the post coming - I love seeing what is for sale in other parts of the country!

#867 3 years ago

**F-14, below, This posting has been deleted by its author.**

Quoted from too-many-pins:

Old operators warehouses are pretty much a thing of the past

In the late '80s/early '90s I had a chance to raid one of those warehouses loaded with old EM pinball machines. The guy who worked across from me at Hughes was a collector of old arcade machines and knew of the warehouse. He told me that we could get the pinball machines for $100 - $200 each. We only had to find a way to transport them from Chicago to Tucson. I sometimes wonder what my collection would look like if I had gotten those pinballs! Projects galore!

#868 3 years ago

When you find those warehouses most of the time the old operators still want top dollar for the games. They are still fun to dive in to though.

#869 3 years ago

I guess this counts as a project since the poster says something like "ball eject no longer works". I would go look at except I'm already 2 above what the wife will allow!

washingtondc.craigslist.org link

F-14 Tomcat for $750 about an hour from DC.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V sync combiner kit

#870 3 years ago

In the late '80's I was paying $25-50 for EM's and $100 for most SS machines - no early GTL's. though. You couldn't give those away. That's how much the market has changed.

#871 3 years ago

**This posting has been deleted by its author.**
ANOTHER Airborne Avenger. This is number four, I think:

Manufacturer: Atari
Game/Type: Airborne Avenger / SS Widebody 4 Player
Year: September 1977
Production: 350 (!)
Cost: $400
Link/Contact: indianapolis.craigslist.org link

Condition: No Pics! OP: "This machine is in good condition and plays well. It is 39 years old has bump and scrapes, stainless rails are tarnished and rust on them. A few light bulbs are not working 1 bumper doesn't kick all the time."

#872 3 years ago

**Sold to brandsilence**
Manufacturer: Williams
Game/Type: Spanish Eyes / EM 1 Player
Month/Year: March 1972
Production: 3,905
Cost: $500
Link/Contact: milwaukee.craigslist.org link

Condition: OP: "Needs repairing."

#873 3 years ago

Only three middle-pop games were made with 3" flippers: Spanish Eyes, Fan-Tas-Tic, and the Freedom prototype. They're all good!

#874 3 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

In the late '80's I was paying $25-50 for EM's and $100 for most SS machines - no early GTL's. though. You couldn't give those away. That's how much the market has changed.

In the early 1980s, homeowners would occasionally pay you to remove an old pinball machine from a basement. By the late 1980s and early/middle 1990s, Gottlieb woodrails were immensely popular, particularly with European collectors. Even the "B" and "C" titles of Gottlieb woodrails were in demand. In the last 20 years, the "A" list Gottlieb woodrails have continued to remain in high demand and have held or increased in value for some titles. The better Williams woodrails have enjoyed a steady increase in value in the last 10 years. The 1970s EMs have also steadily increased in price, particularly in the last 6 to 7 years, with a few of the best Gottlieb wedgehead titles tripling in price. Early solid state games have generally fetched considerably higher prices in the last few years. Currently, prewar games are hot. It will be interesting to see how the release of new, modern (expensive) games from new manufacturers and Stern will affect the marketplace. One thing is certain. If the market flatlines, you'll never lose more than $800 in an $800 game whereas an $8K game can lose thousands in value by the time of resale. Lesson? We can relax when we buy project games, knowing that the fun factor is high and the financial risk is low. In contrast, NIB game purchases require considerably more circumspection. Viva la projects!

#875 3 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I picked this one up on Saturday. Probably not worth the $500 I paid for it but I'm still happy as hell to have it. After a couple of hours i have it mostly functional.

PS: I love this thread.

#876 3 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Anyone driving to the Ohio area from Milwaukee anytime soon?

#877 3 years ago
Quoted from brandsilence:

I picked this one up on Saturday. Probably not worth the $500 I paid for it but I'm still happy as hell to have it. After a couple of hours i have it mostly functional.

Funny you would mention that. I had contacted her early on but told her that I thought she was overpriced at $500 and that if she didn't have much interest over the next several days to let me know.

I guess she found the right buyer at the right time and at her price. Is the game in decent condition? I couldn't really tell from the pictures she sent me. I need a project game to fix up and donate to an upcoming fundraiser and this was a potential candidate.

#878 3 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

Funny you would mention that. I had contacted her early on but told her that I thought she was overpriced at $500 and that if she didn't have much interest over the next several days to let me know.
I guess she found the right buyer at the right time and at her price. Is the game in decent condition? I couldn't really tell from the pictures she sent me. I need a project game to fix up and donate to an upcoming fundraiser and this was a potential candidate.

It was in decent condition, but rougher than i had hoped. Overall it's filthy and there were a number of things not working. Probably the saddest things are contact paper circles around the pop bumpers and flaking & bad touch ups in a number of areas on the backglass. I've been looking for a Spanish Eyes for many months and this was the first in a price range and location that worked for me. I wasn't keen on haggling or walking away after driving 2 hours to see it.

#879 3 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

I guess this counts as a project since the poster says something like "ball eject no longer works". I would go look at except I'm already 2 above what the wife will allow!
F-14 Tomcat for $750 about an hour from DC.

I couldn't find this when I looked!!! I'm sure it went quick at that price. Probably just because it was posted on this damn thread...just kidding Pecos!! haha.

#880 3 years ago

It was in decent condition, but rougher than i had hoped.

This makes me feel a bit better. I could see some missing paint on the backglass but the rest of the pictures she sent didn't show me enough details to see things like the contact paper. She told me that the tilt wasn't working and that her husband fixed it. According to her, this was the only thing wrong with the game. I see that this wasn't true either.

In the end, if it's a game you really wanted then I'm glad you got it. It seems they don't come up for sale all that often but most that I have seen are pretty beat up. If you overpaid a bit to get a desirable game, that's ok.

Dave

#881 3 years ago

I've got some of those horrible Wico contact paper, pop bumper rings if you want some fresh ones.

#882 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I've got some of those horrible Wico contact paper, pop bumper rings if you want some fresh ones.

So hideous. Are yours wood-grained too?

I am going to leave them be in the short term lest i catapult myself into a playfield restoration before i'm ready—which is what happened with my last EM project!

#883 3 years ago

Ha, yes! I acquired them in an old operator stash. I should throw them away but I smile everytime I see them. On the upside as ugly as they are they do offer protection. And the ones I've discover on games seemed to pull up easy enough.

Congrats on the game by the way.

#884 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

It looks like he didn't hold onto it for too long....apparently just long enough to rip it apart and then try to sell it without reassembling it first. What an ass. Probably a flipper that has no idea what he is doing with pins...hence his offer to trade for an arcade now. Who knows how many parts he "lost" disassembling and de-populating the PF.

Seen for sale over and over lately...finally decided to inquire.

Q : Do you have any current pics of what playfield looks like?

A : machine is put away until sale

Lmao! Guess that means you have to decide if you want it first, then can get a pic after purchase!

I have a car for sale. The one below is not it. Lol

th-3_(resized).jpg

#885 3 years ago

I am going to leave them be in the short term lest i catapult myself into a playfield restoration before i'm ready—which is what happened with my last EM project!

Mine has clear mylar ones.. over the wear marks. I don't get operators sometimes... every game I've got with mylar protection has wear under it

I was imagining making ones for my spanish eyes printed with a mockup of the graphics under them, or with some sort of circle or star pattern

#886 3 years ago

Welcome brandsilence!

Probably the saddest things are contact paper circles around the pop bumpers

Do you mean like these:

remove_vinyl_(resized).jpg

The First Battle - Removing Vinyl Pop Bumper Protectors

I had to use a razor blade to get them off. And you have to be very careful using it - both for your safety and the safety of the playfield. Get the angle wrong and the blade will dig into the playfield ink removing it. It wasn't such a problem for me because I ended up having to touch-up the wear around the pop bumpers anyway. But yeah, they were hideous to look at.

Congrats on picking up the Spanish Eyes!

#887 3 years ago

Welcome FrankJ! Wouldn't you like to be able to go back in time and pick up a few of those pinballs for less than $100? It's good to see them making a comeback.

#888 3 years ago

Welcome ZNET! Because of your wonderful sharing of the history of these classic pinball machines and in as much as you have publicly proclaimed your love for project pins and with the power granted to me by me as the Grand Pooh Bah of the Project Pinball Lovers Club, I hereby grant you charter member status! Congratulations ZNET!

#889 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Mine has clear mylar ones.. over the wear marks. I don't get operators sometimes... every game I've got with mylar protection has wear under it
I was imagining making ones for my spanish eyes printed with a mockup of the graphics under them, or with some sort of circle or star pattern

Hey, at least give them credit for installing the mylar protectors at some point! They started to see it wear, so they installed mylar. After all, they had to unsolder the lamp socket and remove the pop bumper body to install them. Just think what it would have looked like without them at all? There is a typical example on IPDB where there is no mylar and therefore, no artwork (just bare wood).

#890 3 years ago

Welcome to the Project Pin thread egyptrus!

Quoted from egyptrus:

I need a project game to fix up and donate to an upcoming fundraiser and this was a potential candidate.

Stay tuned! I'll try to find some projects in your area for your consideration.

#891 3 years ago

Welcome pacmanretro! Thanks for the informational feedback.

#892 3 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Q : Do you have any current pics of what playfield looks like?
A : machine is put away until sale
Lmao! Guess that means you have to decide if you want it first, then can get a pic after purchase!
I have a car for sale. The one below is not it. Lol

Are you serious? Too funny. Some people are too much...good luck with him selling it that way. You know what I love? A person who is selling a pin with no idea what they are doing or true reasonable value, and gives attitude or "stipulations" to people like us...actual hobbyists who know more about the game than them. If I had a nickel...

Good thing some of these people don't sell things for a living...or at least hopefully they don't.

#893 3 years ago

**This posting has been deleted by its author.**
Manufacturer: Atari
Game/Type: Middle Earth / SS Widebody 4 Player
Month/Year: February 1978
Cost: $250
Link/Contact: cnj.craigslist.org link

Condition: Nice looking game. Lots of Pics! OP: "This is a non working project machine. It is in good condition cosmetically by will need electronic board work. This machine is complete."

#894 3 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Welcome pacmanretro! Thanks for the informational feedback.

Thanks for the welcome pecos!

Since I've lurked a lot, but not posted much, I'll also add that I am the one who bought the very very rough CC Dolphin a little bit back. I saved a near perfect P.F., and a so-so B.G., plus all guts from a Dolphin a while back (guy bought it at an auction in great shape and gutted it cuz he,wanted cab for pinmame; ughhh)!

Future project, but I now have a cabinet (all be it not a pretty one...yet) to put the nicer parts in.

#895 3 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Welcome brandsilence!

Do you mean like these:
remove_vinyl_(resized).jpg
The First Battle - Removing Vinyl Pop Bumper Protectors
I had to use a razor blade to get them off. And you have to be very careful using it - both for your safety and the safety of the playfield. Get the angle wrong and the blade will dig into the playfield ink removing it. It wasn't such a problem for me because I ended up having to touch-up the wear around the pop bumpers anyway. But yeah, they were hideous to look at.
Congrats on picking up the Spanish Eyes!

To remove those old contact paper protectors, I recommend the following:

1) apply freeze spray and carefully peel away, applying more freeze spray as you proceed. Use a credit card to scrape, to avoid damaging the playfield;
2) if freeze spray fails, try the 3M product (adhesive remover in a can) depicted below. I successfully utilized the 3M product, and a hair blow dryer, without any damage to the playfield, on my Daisy May, as shown below.

These spray products will transform the contact paper into a more flexible consistency which does not require a razor blade to remove.
Image_14_(resized).jpg
Image_13_(resized).jpg
Image_15_(resized).jpg
20150210_191413_(resized).jpg

#896 3 years ago

**Ad not found**
Manufacturer: Allied Leisure Industries, Inc
Game/Type: Dyn O' Mite / SS 2 Player
Month/Year: November 1975
Cost: $550 Open to offers
Link/Contact: minneapolis.craigslist.org link

Condition: OP: "Needs repair. Excellent play field & back glass"

#897 3 years ago

**Ad not found**
Game/Type: Rancho / EM 2 Player
Month/Year: August 1977
Production: 1,229
Link/Contact: minneapolis.craigslist.org link

Condition: OP: "Needs a little attention. Executes game play about half the time. Works good when it does. Playfield is faded a bit and backglass has a small bit of flaking."

#898 3 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Hey, at least give them credit for installing the mylar protectors at some point! They started to see it wear, so they installed mylar. After all, they had to unsolder the lamp socket and remove the pop bumper body to install them. Just think what it would have looked like without them at all? There is a typical example on IPDB where there is no mylar and therefore, no artwork (just bare wood).

On my Spirit they wore down to bare wood, then installed the mylar, then wore through the mylar!

#899 3 years ago

**Triple Strike, below, This posting has expired.**
**Williams Electro-Mechanical for $150 on next page, This posting has been deleted by its author.**

Quoted from ZNET:

1) apply freeze spray and carefully peel away

Quoted from ZNET:

2) if freeze spray fails, try the 3M product (adhesive remover in a can)

Thanks for the tips ZNET! I will keep them in mind if I run across any more of that dreadful wood-grained vinyl contact paper.

#900 3 years ago

Just saw a Triple Strike on WashingtonDC Craigslist: 2 pictures and a description that says "needs work"...

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams system 3-7 sound board solutions

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 50.00
There are 13556 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 272.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside