Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bkaelin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkaelin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Getting awful close to being done with my FH playfield swap.
When powering the game back on for the first time, are there any safety measures to take, like unplugging power to certain switches, solenoids, flippers or anything?
I don't want to screw things up while standing at the finish line.
Thoughts and advice are welcome. I have visually inspected everything, and things look good.

#3 5 years ago

Everything was going great....I had powered it up and everything was working great.
Powered it back down. Installed two new switches.
Then the playfield fell off the rotisserie, at least one corner did, and it came down semi gently on the table on one corner.
MUCH profanity emanated from my workspace, a veritable tapestry of foul language.
I thought everything was fine....I checked the underside and it looked ok, so I got everything back into the cabinet and powered it up.
NOTHING....no power to the CPU board, and now I notice on the power board that LED 2, 3 and 4 are all out. (no 5 volt going to the CPU, right?)
I went through everything on the underside, and found a couple of switches and a coil that might have been touching a bit, and adjusted the wires.
Looked around to see if I could find anything else that was shorted.
Checked the connectors on the power board and the CPU.
Everything looked good.
Powered it up again,
Still nothing. What did I do and how do I get back to the glory of a working game that I had just moments before?

#4 5 years ago

I am guessing at the very least I need a/some new fuses.
and I am hoping I didn't fry anything on the board.
There was no problem with the game prior to the game falling off the rotisserie and the installation of those two new switches, so I figure it has got to be something was touching something...or I screwed up the wiring of the switches....I don't know.
I just know I need your help to get it back to operational. It is times like these that I truly appreciate the limitation of my actual knowledge.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks rufessor. The game was not powered on when it fell.
I am taking it slow, but perhaps that beer I had has made my explanation somewhat less than clear.

The PF was was mostly done. I had powered it up and everything looked great. I powered it off. Then it fell.

1. After the fall I inspected everything, then reinstalled the PF back into the cabinet.
2. The day ended.
3. A new day came. I installed two switches and a coil.
4. I powered it up, no CPU.
5. I checked under the PF, and adjusted a couple of wires to make sure nothing was shorting out.
6. That's basically where I am, still no power to CPU and no lights on the power board for led 2, 3 and 4.
7. Time for another beer?

#8 5 years ago

The frustrating thing is that it was all working perfectly after the PF swap. Booted up, went into game mode, checked all the coils and switches, everything was solid. The only that changed was the little tumble and the installation of two switches and a coil.
Anyone able to share the best route forward?
I assume I need to check fuses, and start moving methodically through things.

#10 5 years ago

So I read a bunch on pinwiki last night. With a little help I am methodically going to work through the problem.
The 5 V LED on the power board is out.
As per Chris Hibler, I checked the fuse at 113, buzzed it out of the game, it is good.
Replaced it and removed J116, J117 and J118, then restarted the game. Fuse did not blow.

Checked seating of ribbon cable from power board to CPU. Checked and reseated other connectors.
Based on something I read on pinwiki, which I believe is attributed to Chris Hibler, I am not sure that the installation of the two switches, the coil and the dropping of the PF are even to blame here....but no matter, I will follow through on this one step at a time. I just need to know what that next step is.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Are any LED's lit on the power driver board?
Check each fuse on that board
If the fuses all look fine, check that its getting power (carefully) with a multi-meter (I forget which plug/connector brings in power, but should be shown in the manual/schematic)
Have to sort that our first since that is how the MPU gets power.

The LEDs are lit, with the exception of LED 2, 3 and 4 (5 volt).
All fuses test as good.

#13 5 years ago

arcadenerd925, power comes from J101 I believe.

Checked voltage at J101.
Meter reads 10 VAC on J101, on the top two red wires.

1 month later
#14 5 years ago

Reseated the 5 volt wires multiple times using the proper tool and the 5V came back!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkaelin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-playfield-swap-power-up-advice?tu=bkaelin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.