Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by underlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Post Pinsiders with most thumbs down?”

• Yes. Put the dunce cap on and sit down. 51 votes
      75%
    • Too harsh. 18 votes
      26%
    • Too harsh ( I could be THAT guy!) :D 6 votes
      9%

(Multiple choice - 68 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

x-ray_.jpg
    Kate-Upton-Bikini-Gallery-Banned-In-Hollywood-155-Kate-Upton-Bikini-Gallery-Banned-In-Hollywood-155.jpeg
    image-140.jpg
    image-986.jpg
    IMG_20141224_134019.jpg
    points.jpg
    image-530.jpg
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Looks like I should be having x-mas at your house.

But then I'd need to put rubber bands on my flippers!

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinBilly:

edit:
    Tried to edit, double posted.
    Thanks, White Russian!!!(and Stoli)

IMG_20141224_134019.jpg 163 KB

not to get off topic, but that is one nice looking "mars trek"...

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I'd rather see karma and the thumb up and down parts go away and to be replaced by ifpa rank and time someone's been a member. I'd put more faith in that when talking pinball related things (the non drama stuff like tactics, strategy, tech, etc). I actually think some of this is driving the problem here as people are fishing for thumbs up and karma points.

Good idea, but this is Pinside... so instead of IFPA ranking, we should create a MOD rating.

The more mods you can cram into your pin, your MOD rating points go through the roof.

The more retina scorching your LED install is, the higher your LED BURN rating.

The more garish your powder coat choice is, you get the POWDER KING points.

That's the ticket.

rd.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Good idea, but this is Pinside... so instead of IFPA ranking, we should create a MOD rating.
    The more mods you can cram into your pin, your MOD rating points go through the roof.
    The more retina scorching your LED install is, the higher your LED BURN rating.
    The more garish your powder coat choice is, you get the POWDER KING points.
    That's the ticket.
    rd.

And the more boobs you post the more your GIANT BOOB rating goes up.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You're headed down my friend...
    Really, what's the point? Thumbs down means is you "disagree" with a post. If I say I like apple pie, and you don't, you are free to disagree with my opinion. So a thumbs down can be earned for something as innocent as that. Look how easily you earned a few.

I know the point you were trying to make but understanding and comprehension are some of the biggest problems sometimes, just look at this example, you say "I like apple pie" and I thumbs it down meaning I disagree that YOU like apple pie crazy. Has nothing to do with me liking apple pie or not.

Today it's all about mince pies anyway, ho ho ho.

#56 9 years ago

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

yup. rather than me quoting a post to tell someone i disagree with them, and potentially causing a thread to devolve, i just hit the "thumbs down"....
    i too don't understand why the butthurt comes in... i don't expect everyone to agree with me (even if they SHOULD! )...
    while i agree that pinside should be (and realistically, compared to many other forums, is) a friendly place, i also don't think it really does anyone any good if we are all just blowing sunshine up each others asses...

But thumbs downing someone does nothing towards furthering the discussion. I've recieved 11 thumbs down for my post above and hardly any of them gave a reason for why they disagreed. The exact reason why I think its pointless. Look at how people thumbs down Kaneda. I don't know the history there but people use the thumbs down just to bully the guy.

#58 9 years ago

Geez Loueeze. Should I shoot for 50 thumbs down?

image-986.jpgimage-986.jpg

Either they disagree with me or hate me. Oh well... Still love you guys! Even you RobT. And you The Family Arcade.

But not you Eggie....not you.

image-140.jpgimage-140.jpg

#59 9 years ago

I know im pretty new here but it sure seems like a lot of people abuse the thumbs down thing simply because they decide they dont like someone (and then thumbs down their every post). Heck, people even thumbs down posts where it does not even make sense to disagree (like if someone just makes a statement "hey, I picked up such and such game today", thumbs down).

Is there a way to see who thumbs downs' the most people? That might be a nice feature to add (rather then who gets the most thumbs down).

#60 9 years ago

A thumbs down (usually) means 1 of 2 things

1. The person disagrees with me

2. I'm being a douche

If we remove the thumbs down feature then we will likely see negative replies increase because sometimes you just have to voice your opinion. I'd rather see 100 thumbs down than 100 argumentative replies.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

A thumbs down (usually) means 1 of 2 things
    1. The person disagrees with me
    2. I'm being a douche
    If we remove the thumbs down feature then we will likely see negative replies increase because sometimes you just have to voice your opinion. I'd rather see 100 thumbs down than 100 argumentative replies.

Why not both?

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from RealityCheck:

I know im pretty new here but it sure seems like a lot of people abuse the thumbs down thing simply because they decide they dont like someone (and then thumbs down their every post). Heck, people even thumbs down posts where it does not even make sense to disagree (like if someone just makes a statement "hey, I picked up such and such game today", thumbs down).
    Is there a way to see who thumbs downs' the most people? That might be a nice feature to add (rather then who gets the most thumbs down).

I'm new here as well and have seen a few members play the thumbs down game to advance their own agenda, which has been in various threads both negative to the topic and frankly trolling as well. There is no repercussions to use the thumbs down serially in an extensive manner. And so far some members agendas doing such have not resulted in any significant repercussions or accountability. I'd also be interested in seeing who submits thumb's down as a leader here. And if not, tie some limits or accountability to the use of thumbs down by member's (e.g., limits, reporting, deducting points, etc.).

I've also seen some repetitious thread hijacks by some members serially having negative posts on a subject or machine.

Quoted from robin:

.... Pinside is supposed to be a positive pinball forum (as most of us are in this hobby to have FUN and because they LOVE the game and the hobby). And although I know that some negativity or drama is inevitable (and sometimes maybe even needed) I just don't want to focus on that. I'm all ears for suggestions, especially on how we could decrease negativity and conflict in our growing community!

I agree that focusing on the positive parts of the hobby is always best. In that spirit, without significant changes to the thumbs regime I'd like to see more active enforcement for members who troll threads/games with serial negative posts and what is essentially trolling. By all means a negative post or two is not a bad thing, but when a member reposts his negative opinion over and over again in the same thread, and in what is supposed to be a positive thread for a machine (the subject heading notes such), it becomes a distraction as well as being what appears to be a mission of discreditation. I have literally recently observed a member post negative feedback in over 50 posts (10%) of a 500+ post thread that was supposed to be a positive thread on a game, redundantly as well also fighting over trivial childish things as a result of his negative posts. As such, at this time he is essentially the top poster in that thread, which is supposed to celebrate the positive aspects of a game.

What do you see is the issue here? A lack of reporting or lack of enforcement?

I recently reminded myself of the pinside community rules and am looking forward to seeing them enforced, for the benefit of the community and to encourage the overall positive aspect of what a forum should be.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Only 8 more to go!

#64 9 years ago

Here I was thinking it get some king of badge. Sheesh...thanks for nothing!

#65 9 years ago

KEEP the thumbs down!

Sometimes someone posts in a tech thread the totally wrong answer.

It's good to be able to thumbs down the post before everyone blindly follows bad advice.

It also draws attention to the poster of the incorrect information, allowing him to fix his post if it was simply a typo or bad voice to text.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #67 9 years ago

It's enlightening that since I started this thread, folks are starting to really monitor some others who have been using this PS feature as a way to try to damage others opinions or just in general.

Disagree my tookus! Folks with a propensity to being negative always finds a way.

#68 9 years ago

x-ray_.jpgx-ray_.jpg

Sometimes its easy to see thru a thumbs up......

#69 9 years ago

I's suggest picking top two thumbs-downers each month and give them a 30 day ban. If that doesn't work... 120v delivered to their junk might help.

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks for suggesting something that could make the site better... However, If you ask me, I'm actually leaning more towards the removal of the thumbs down feature than I am thinking of having a top-x thumb-downed posts/posters on the frontpage.
    Pinside is supposed to be a positive pinball forum (as most of us are in this hobby to have FUN and because they LOVE the game and the hobby). And although I know that some negativity or drama is inevitable (and sometimes maybe even needed) I just don't want to focus on that.
    I'm all ears for suggestions, especially on how we could decrease negativity and conflict in our growing community!

I hear what you are saying, but I actually think the thumbs down feature prevents or dispels more drama than would otherwise exist. If someone sees a post they disagree with, it gives them the option to simply give the post a thumbs down and move on. Without it, they are more likely to quote and reply negatively, which will elicit a response, cluttering a thread with bickering. The thumbs down I feel can often work as an outlet for disagreement that doesn't necessarily derail a thread.

Of course bickering and negativity still happens, but I feel like the thumbs down feature does swallow some of it.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Who knows you could make the "most thumbs down list"

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks for suggesting something that could make the site better... However, If you ask me, I'm actually leaning more towards the removal of the thumbs down feature than I am thinking of having a top-x thumb-downed posts/posters on the frontpage.
    Pinside is supposed to be a positive pinball forum (as most of us are in this hobby to have FUN and because they LOVE the game and the hobby). And although I know that some negativity or drama is inevitable (and sometimes maybe even needed) I just don't want to focus on that.
    I'm all ears for suggestions, especially on how we could decrease negativity and conflict in our growing community!

Though I haven't used the thumbs down feature that I recall, it seems to be an okay feature. It may discourage people from posting something which may be perceived by their peers as crummy. But could also go without it, and probably miss it.

I like a positive pinside, and the thumbs up is a great feature. One we most definately should keep.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Who knows you could make the "most thumbs down list"

I dunno. Kaneda has a huge lead. Race to the bottom.

Story of my life.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-pinsiders-with-most-thumbs-down/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.