Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by underlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Post Pinsiders with most thumbs down?”

• Yes. Put the dunce cap on and sit down. 51 votes
      75%
    • Too harsh. 18 votes
      26%
    • Too harsh ( I could be THAT guy!) :D 6 votes
      9%

(Multiple choice - 68 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

x-ray_.jpg
    Kate-Upton-Bikini-Gallery-Banned-In-Hollywood-155-Kate-Upton-Bikini-Gallery-Banned-In-Hollywood-155.jpeg
    image-140.jpg
    image-986.jpg
    IMG_20141224_134019.jpg
    points.jpg
    image-530.jpg
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Whaddaya think Robin? Would make negative Nellies think twice before being paraded on the forum page for all to see?

Lots of new accounts with bad postings lately had me considering this as an option...

#2 9 years ago

This is supposed to be a fun, positive pinball website. Focusing on the negative will quickly cause people to move on from Pinside. Just my opinion

#3 9 years ago

Pinside should get rid of the thumbs down all together. Seems antithesis to the positive environment Pinside promotes. If anything I think serial thumbs downers should get a temp ban.

#4 9 years ago

You're headed down my friend...

Really, what's the point? Thumbs down means is you "disagree" with a post. If I say I like apple pie, and you don't, you are free to disagree with my opinion. So a thumbs down can be earned for something as innocent as that. Look how easily you earned a few.

#5 9 years ago

because there are people out there that having the most thumbs down is a badge of honor, why reward being a jerk?

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You're headed down my friend...
    Really, what's the point? Thumbs down means is you "disagree" with a post. If I say I like apple pie, and you don't, you are free to disagree with my opinion. So a thumbs down can be earned for something as innocent as that. Look how easily you earned a few.

I read that too, seems crazy to take your points because I don't like apple pie.... But that's the system. Only thing I use it for is to award points to people that do great things, or negate someone who gave an undeserved thumbs down.

#7 9 years ago

image-530.jpgimage-530.jpg
    #8 9 years ago

points.jpgpoints.jpg
    #9 9 years ago

While I agree with the comment about positivity, I'll offer that if you really want to create the wall of shame you'd list the "most ignored". But I'd still vote against posting it, even though it'd be fun to see how my ignored list compares!

#10 9 years ago

Thanks for suggesting something that could make the site better... However, If you ask me, I'm actually leaning more towards the removal of the thumbs down feature than I am thinking of having a top-x thumb-downed posts/posters on the frontpage.

Pinside is supposed to be a positive pinball forum (as most of us are in this hobby to have FUN and because they LOVE the game and the hobby). And although I know that some negativity or drama is inevitable (and sometimes maybe even needed) I just don't want to focus on that.

I'm all ears for suggestions, especially on how we could decrease negativity and conflict in our growing community!

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks for suggesting something that could make the site better... However, If you ask me, I'm actually leaning more towards the removal of the thumbs down feature than I am thinking of having a top-x thumb-downed posts/posters on the frontpage.
    Pinside is supposed to be a positive pinball forum (as most of us are in this hobby to have FUN and because they LOVE the game and the hobby). And although I know that some negativity or drama is inevitable (and sometimes maybe even needed) I just don't want to focus on that.
    I'm all ears for suggestions, especially on how we could decrease negativity and conflict in our growing community!

How about you have a separate board where people can just rip on each other, no holds barred? "The Bangback Sub Forum?"

#12 9 years ago

leave the thumbs down fetaure robin... it serves a purpose...

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

I like it the way it is as well. Helps me know when I'm getting unruly

#14 9 years ago

Love the holiday spirit of this thread

And by the way, I just gave this thread my first thumbs down ever...and it felt good

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Ditto. When someone creates a thread or makes a long-winded post and I see that it has several thumbs down, I don't read it. If you took thumbs down away (which has no negative impact on that post's karma points) then I imagine we would all be wasting a lot of time reading negative posts that do not deserve the attention. In my opinion, because of this very reason, leaving the thumbs down feature is a good way to keep Pinside positive. The negativity gets less attention.

Case in point... this thread, and the countless others with vague titles designed to get click bait.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yall-aint-gonna-believe-this

#16 9 years ago

Maybe, thumbs down should not remove karma (as it currently does NOT)..But,that being said,
    to hold in check those that "post" something so anti... that maybe, every (5) down (from others) removes a bunch of karma points from that poster?

Edit: clarification. currently does NOT.

#17 9 years ago

Maybe an option of blocking certain posters from your threads? This is mostly needed in for sale threads where the same people crap on the sales and derail the threads. An option of blocking certain people from being able to post in your own thread would be great. I can't imagine it would be negative at all, the blocked poster would simply get a message "sorry but you can't post in this thread, now go play some pinball!"

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from chrisjens2:

Maybe an option of blocking certain posters from your threads? This is mostly needed in for sale threads where the same people crap on the sales and derail the threads. An option of blocking certain people from being able to post in your own thread would be great. I can't imagine it would be negative at all, the blocked poster would simply get a message "sorry but you can't post in this thread, now go play some pinball!"

You know...That's not a bad idea!

#19 9 years ago

Quit thumbs downing him, people. He's the Underlord. He feeds on negative energy. And just before Christmas....when he needs it most!

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How about you have a separate board where people can just rip on each other, no holds barred? "The Bangback Sub Forum?"

That's called RGP. Although it seems pretty tame these days.

#21 9 years ago

Pinside has the best forum software exchange site that I have ever seen. I recognize the high quality of information, transparency and clarity that exists here. What Pinside does so well is the ease of which we are able to find previous posts, both good and bad, we are all better informed when we are able to express our thoughts and free speech with out restrictions.

However, vulgar and malicious posts, including personal attacks are unacceptable, and should be monitored, with restrictions for people who violate Pinside policies. But I'm not sure that this is what this post is addressing.

#22 9 years ago

The thumbs up or thumbs down is really useful in the huge threads (such as the TBL refund thread)...I for one use the red or green colors when I scan a thread that is too long to read every post...if there is no red or green I dont read it when Im scanning

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Maybe, thumbs down should not remove karma (as it currently is)..But,that being said,
    to hold in check those that "post" something so anti... that maybe, every (5) down (from others) removes a bunch of karma points from that poster?

Does thumbs down remove karma? I thought you just don't get any.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Does thumbs down remove karma? I thought you just don't get any.

Not "Currently " as I said...well, I could have said that better...I'll fix that..thanks

#25 9 years ago

Thumbs down does not change karma points in any way. We discussed doing away with it before, and the overwhelming response was to keep it as a way to show disapproval/"I disagree." People said they use that as a way to get a point across without having to create another post to verbally disagree, which usually leads to more negativity.

Of course some still abuse the system and stalk people giving every one of their posts a thumbs down, or do it to provoke others. I think the way we have it now is a good balance, but listing the ones with the most thumbs down is not a good idea as some on here relish the attention and purposely post stupid crap to get them.

#26 9 years ago

This entire thread is proposed solutions to a problem that doesn't exist.

#27 9 years ago

Can we all unite and thumbs down OPs first post on this thread.

It would be ironic that he asked for a list with the most down votes and he himself became the one with the most down votes.

#28 9 years ago

I think we need to keep thumbs down. It prevents people from having to spam their strong disagreement with an absurd or offensive position.

That said, we don't want to rank thumbs down either as that would turn it into a competition between the various trolls...

The current system works and should not be changed in my personal opinion.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Post Pinsiders with most thumbs down!

Yes please do this, then I can be # 1 at something

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Like that one topic - Do black people play pinball?

#31 9 years ago

I voted for all three because I could. Thanks!

#32 9 years ago

I'm divided on this subject. You have people who genuinely disagree and people who do it because they're assholes. I'm guilty of both at times, but I'm getting better.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Indeed it does. If anything, it can have a slight impact on self moderation.

I've never understood how/why so many people seem to get so easily butthurt over a simple thumbs down. As has been said a million times before, as seen by hovering your cursor over the thumbs down button, all it means is "I disagree".

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I've never understood how/why so many people seem to get so easily butthurt over a simple thumbs down. As has been said a million times before, as seen by hovering your cursor over the thumbs down button, all it means is "I disagree".

I just gave you a thumbs down, not because I disagree with you...
    just wondered if your butt hurt because of that.
    Test..this is only a test.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

I just gave you a thumbs down, not because I disagree with you...
    just wondered if your butt hurt because of that.
    Test..this is only a test.

It is safe to say that I passed the test with flying colors!

#36 9 years ago

When you ignore someone, they can still up- and downvote you.

That is something that needs a change. If someone choses to not have to deal with a guy, then they should not be able to vote on any of your posts.

#37 9 years ago

I'd rather see karma and the thumb up and down parts go away and to be replaced by ifpa rank and time someone's been a member. I'd put more faith in that when talking pinball related things (the non drama stuff like tactics, strategy, tech, etc). I actually think some of this is driving the problem here as people are fishing for thumbs up and karma points.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I'd rather see karma and the thumb up and down parts go away and to be replaced by ifpa rank and time someone's been a member.

Not going to go over as too many people are not ranked, enjoy their privacy. Plus I don't know if you could link those 2 together. PLus tech ability has nothing to do with ranking.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's called RGP.

Robin, great suggestion on NO thumbs down! Rewards for thumbs up, no rewards for negativity.

Btw, it was a Pinside suggestion, not a target to the few, the proud, the trolls.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

That's called RGP. Although it seems pretty tame these days.

Yeah. All 10 people still there are doing great. I think. Haven't been on there in years.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not going to go over as too many people are not ranked, enjoy their privacy. Plus I don't know if you could link those 2 together. PLus tech ability has nothing to do with ranking.

it is a good thing that my tech ability outstrips my playing ability, otherwise i'd be screwed...

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

and time someone's been a member.

The little blue box next to your karma count is how many years someone has been a member. Hover your mouse over it and will tell you approx when they joined.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

yup. rather than me quoting a post to tell someone i disagree with them, and potentially causing a thread to devolve, i just hit the "thumbs down"....

i too don't understand why the butthurt comes in... i don't expect everyone to agree with me (even if they SHOULD! )...

while i agree that pinside should be (and realistically, compared to many other forums, is) a friendly place, i also don't think it really does anyone any good if we are all just blowing sunshine up each others asses...

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

The little blue box next to your karma count is how many years someone has been a member. Hover your mouse over it and will tell you approx when they joined.

Yeah, I know that. Thanks though.

Quoted from TheLaw:

should be easy enough to link for those that would want it. I understand player skill and tech skill are not a 1 to 1 ratio but neither is karma score and tech or player skill. I'd rather hear someone speak that is ranked 2000 than someone with 5 million points due to smart-ass comments and breast post.

realistically, I think we would all be better off without any "scoring" system.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I'd rather hear someone speak that is ranked 2000 than someone with 5 million points due to smart-ass comments and breast post.

I agreed with your earlier post, but I disagree with this one.

Thanks, pinside thumbs up / thumbs down system!

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinBilly:

I mostly agreed with your earlier post, but I disagree with this one.
    Thanks, pinside thumbs up / thumbs down system!

edit:

Tried to edit, double posted.

Thanks, White Russian!!!(and Stoli)

IMG_20141224_134019.jpgIMG_20141224_134019.jpg

#47 9 years ago

What is a thumbs down?

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What is a thumbs down?

It's what I just gave you.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's what I just gave you.

Thank you! I'll put it in the bank..

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinBilly:

Thanks, White Russian!!!(and Stoli)

Looks like I should be having x-mas at your house.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-pinsiders-with-most-thumbs-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.