Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by woody76
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dyopp21.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

With the vaccine on the rollout (this is not a thread to start a "for or against the vaccine" argument, let's leave that one for the off topic section) the forest fire that is the pandemic should begin to slowly wain in the next few months/quarters. Unfortunately it won't be like flipping a light switch but more than likely a slow return to normal with flair ups and hotspots that will at least be easier to contain with increased testing and contact tracing and more of the population immunized. With that in mind, where do you see our "pinball thing" as people begin to be more comfortable going out again and restrictions start to lift?

My wife and I both work in the medical field so we have already been vaccinated with jab #1 (Her Pfizer and me Moderna). After my second dose this will allow me to get back out and work on my machines around town with a little more peace of mind, so that's a good start for me. I've only gone out a handful of times to play and do maintenance since March, but the machines haven't been played much so it was o.k.

What do some of y'all see for on location pinball as covid is contained? Will people be comfortable going to tournaments again? Just playing casually? Will there be a big hunger to get out and play for people who have been cooped up for months? Will it be a windfall of customers old and new for operators? Will some tournament directors require proof of vaccination for tournaments? Will commercial property be cheaper allowing more operators to open their own locations or will the suffering of businesses witnessed in the last year cause them to give up that dream altogether? Will the big Expos return in 21, or will it be 22 and beyond or never? Put on your best Nostradamus and let's hear what you think!

So many unanswered questions, but I really hope for all of us that 2021 is at least the starting line of better things to come.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

The reason the 1920's "roared" was because the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic was so devastating. People were excited to finally get out of quarantine and resolved to really live to the fullest - night clubs boomed, jazz music was popularized and booze flowed.
    I suspect we'll see something similar in the next few years - a strong return to bars and clubs, a focus on fashion and more money spent on luxuries like pinball machines. Operating a row of pins at the local pub could turn out to be lucrative.

While the future is impossible to call, I've had the same thoughts. People are going to be hungry to get out and enjoy the company of other humans. It could be a boom for pinball.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

My predictions.
    No big shows until the 4th quarter.
    One full year for the locations that survive to get back to normal.
    LTG : )

Even if it's not until Q4, I'll TAKE it and be damned happy about it making 21 instead of 22. My darker demons are afraid it'll be 22.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dyopp21.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-pandemic-predictions?tu=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.