Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mizzou0103
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ratfinkbutton (resized).jpg
    Disapproved post (resized).png
    Posted that still needs review (resized).png
    Post approval mode notice (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

My suspicion is the 'report post for abuse' was getting abused. No inside knowledge but likely the same bunch of thread troublemakers were responsible for most of the reports - one last 'FU I'm telling the teacher' because of a petty disagreement.

Would've been better for the thread to toss both the shit posters and the serial tattletales

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

While you spoke with him, did he by any chance tell you the percentage that prefers crunchy peanut butter to creamy?

It’s a video of him stating it and based on his pinball company which I have heard makes and sells pinball machines to pinball people. I’m guessing there’s a contact link for stern on their website if you want to ask about peanut butter.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

That's the point. And the downvotes also strengthen the point.
    As for reporting posts, either the mods are too busy or don't have the same view of said posts to deem them as problematic which again, bolsters my point.
    I'm not sure how this saves mods any time either...isn't the time looking at a post prior to approval the same as reading it already posted?

I agree. "Conservative" viewpoints are seen as a given and "liberal" viewpoints are seen as political talk. For example, if someone price polices an ad, someone will chime in and say that we live in a free market. No one gives that a second glance. But if someone else chimes in and says, that they beg to differ about that, that's seen as poltical. Simple example, but that's how it generally goes.

#54 3 years ago

Suggestion for how this works. Instead of requiring a blanket approval for all posts make it an add on that only applies to posters that are posting in an inappropriate way. That way only the instigators are hit instead of everyone.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I agree. "Conservative" viewpoints are seen as a given and "liberal" viewpoints are seen as political talk.

Pretty much. I also don’t think it’s done with malice or even consciously done. In a thread on covid which is inherently political because of the man at the top in charge makes it political, a scientific, fact based comment is viewed through a lens of media-distrust and anti-science which, unfortunately has become the bedrock of one of the political parties. It’s a shock to some people when they hear fact based mass media because they don’t live in that world. It’s sad really.

#56 3 years ago

Don’t let the cure be worse than the disease.

Too soon? Lol...

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

...inherent internal bias, conscious or not, will show through in the “approved” posts. Subtle and not so subtle conservative talking points float by unnoticed on this sight all the time. Anti-government program, anti-regulation, Misogyny, anti-gay, trans “jokes” just sit in many threads and are not, apparently, considered political or hate speech...kicking people out of threads for posting the actual words of political leaders that are also spreading misinformation? Bias....you’ve got deeper issues on this site.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:As always, anyone is welcome and encouraged to use the "report post" button in the lower right hand corner of posts that they think might be violating the forum rules.

Any chance of renaming this the “tattle tale button”? Because that’s what it is, and it gets abused as much as anything else on Pinside.

#59 3 years ago

Some of y'all are getting awfully worked up over your potential (in)ability to discuss a virus pandemic on a pinball website. There's always /r/coronavirus on Reddit if you can't get your fill here.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

This is all completely unnecessary. Regarding the coronavirus thread, if the mods would have continued to enforce the ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY as outlined by ForceFlow, the problems in that thread would have been ELIMINATED DAYS AGO. It was the same handful of Pinsiders that for whatever reason were not ejected when they should have been according to the rules. The Pinside staff simply made more work for themselves by not enforcing their own rules. The problems would have been resolved in less time than it took Robin to type his initial post in this thread, not to mention all the thought and back end work to make these unnecessary changes. The time that will be spent by the staff on the post approval process will far exceed the time spent to make a few more thread ejections. The clear solution was to enforce the existing rules, NOT create new ones.

Not just the no tolerance, but their own rules, verbatim. Yes, that would have been enough to solve the problem.

#61 3 years ago

If this helps anyone. I received my order in 5 days. $5 each, including shipping. They are KN95.

ebay.com link: K N95 Mask Respirator 10 Pieces AUTHORIZED SELLER FDA AUTHORIZED LISTED

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from tp:More fake news as he didn't say that. Please check your facts. (Something like) are hardly facts. You R part of the problem spreading misinformation, please moderate yourself.

O.M.G.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I agree. "Conservative" viewpoints are seen as a given and "liberal" viewpoints are seen as political talk. For example, if someone price polices an ad, someone will chime in and say that we live in a free market. No one gives that a second glance. But if someone else chimes in and says, that they beg to differ about that, that's seen as poltical. Simple example, but that's how it generally goes.

It’s like the referee in football that throws the flag on the retaliation, but either missed the original foul or ignored it on purpose.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Some of y'all are getting awfully worked up over your potential (in)ability to discuss a virus pandemic on a pinball website. There's always /r/coronavirus on Reddit if you can't get your fill here.

Isn't that the truth! And already political posts have begun landing in this thread about how to deny political posts.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Any chance of renaming this the “tattle tale button”? Because that’s what it is, and it gets abused as much as anything else on Pinside.

I just wonder if when someone hits "report post" if it becomes an automatic moderation based on the complaint, or if a moderator goes in, reads the potentially offending post, and then renders a decision about whether or not a rule has in fact been violated. I'm not slamming anybody. I'm just not sure if that's ever been made clear.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I just wonder if when someone hits "report post" if it becomes an automatic moderation based on the complaint, or if a moderator goes in, reads the potentially offending post, and then renders a decision about whether or not a rule has in fact been violated. I'm not slamming anybody. I'm just not sure if that's ever been made clear.

Nah, ive had posts moderated today that I made days ago. My last couple Covid related posts and/or topics were moderated in under a minute when it was all going down. It couldn’t have just been people reporting me. The site monitoring is real and in effect.

#69 3 years ago

Bonfire at my house tonight. Anyone have any books to bring along? Thicker books preferred, they burn longer.

#70 3 years ago

downvote/upvote tracks.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I try to be reasonable about using the moderator alert button but there are egregious moments when I will not hesitate. Seems like I'm the only one on Pinside that will openly admit to it but I'm confident all of Pinside are in on it. And for those of us that won't tolerate bullying, don't want to be baited into an argument or watch a thread derail, what other recourse do we have?

I see no reason to shame people for applying a legitimate tool that is used by everyone whether they admit to it or not.
    Fuck it, I may start a club thread for Tattle Tales.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

No, a post report is just a report. Posts are not automagically moderated.

Quoted from WolfManCat:

I am concerned that this new moderation "tool" will be abused in the future once we all have forgotten about the covid thread. It is also a very slippery slope downhill when you give the power of a few to decide what is true for the many. If something is so obviously false than the reader should know better for themselves.
    Anyway, think I made my point. I just hope its heard and considered.

The main difference is that the post approval feature is a bit more proactive.

We try very hard to be fair with everyone. When someone is moderated, it isn't a complete mystery as to why. When someone is booted, there are generally warnings prior to reaching that point.

Quoted from WolfManCat:

If something is so obviously false than the reader should know better for themselves.

We would prefer not to be part of the problem of the perpetuation of egregiously false information.

The main thing here is that the moderators here are not "out to get you". If you can follow the forum rules, it's likely that you would never hear from us. It's less work for us when people abide by the rules and just carry on and do their thing. Personally, I would much rather spend my time participating in discussions or tech threads than reviewing posts and issuing moderation warnings.

We volunteer our time because (and I seldom use this word) love pinball and love the pinball community. If we had no love for pinball or the people in it, then we would probably be spending our time in significantly different ways.

#73 3 years ago

I really don't have an issue either way, given this forum is privately owned and the owners can do what they want with it. There was a different main forum before Pinside, and there will be some after Pinside. If this approval enhances the experience, people will stay. If it turns to the dark side lake some here fear, then I'm sure another solution will pop up that folks will migrate to.
    Anyone is welcome to put something together. Free enterprise at its best.....

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

It makes the mod team aware the post has been flagged. Its on them to react to it.

Its useful so the community helps raise awareness of problem posts instead of expecting them to see every single post

#75 3 years ago

Delete anything coronavirus related and let people go to a coronavirus forum to talk about it. Keep a pinball site pinball related. Problem solved.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

will be a problem for the very reason you keep saying other posts will be fast... if you are fast, anything you need to 'consult' over means it will fall back in the pack... destroying readability/awareness of posts.

The conversations jump around anyway. You get people reading a thread with 40 new posts and then responding to the eighth one. Their response goes after number 40.
    I doubt anyone will notice a difference.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Announcing drains

Can you announce a drain about ANOTHER thread? (not the one you are in)
    -mof

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

This. I find it hilarious that people get worked up and all the political head bashing like a bunch of rams on a PINBALL FORUM. I repeat, it’s a fucking PINBALL FORUM. I get it that everyone’s wound up pretty tight but holy hell.

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

It also helps Pinside to keep potentially dangerous misinformation from our platform.

Can the approval mode be used in HUO for sale threads right away!!?

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:Any chance of renaming this the “tattle tale button”? Because that’s what it is, and it gets abused as much as anything else on Pinside.
    ratfinkbutton (resized).jpgratfinkbutton (resized).jpg
    #82 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Here's an additional suggestion. The Re-Birth of RGP, (Rec Games Pinball).
    RGP is an old Google group for pinball that has been abandoned in favor of Pinside. It has ZERO moderators there and it's a Pinball forum. It's easy to join with an email and you obsessed, political instigators could live the remainder of your lives there.

Back in my day, they called it Usenet.

The reason that the USENET newsgroup rec.games.pinball is irrelevant today is because anyone and everyone who wanted to participate, in whatever form or fashion they wanted, could, and did.

Eventually the people who contributed the value there grew tired of the few (but relentless!) voices who spewed negativity and bullshit.

Typical human beings.

That's why everybody left.

Pinside filled the void that google groups (accessibility) and r.g.p (USENET) left behind.

I hate moderation. I'd rather die than be moderated.

This is the perfect way to handle it.
    Don't let a good crisis go to waste.
    If you don't like it, then just go somewhere else -- don't participate.
    That is the way the world works.
    It's one little thread that you don't have to participate in.
    Because you're the expert on this topic!!!
    And it is bogging down the lives of everyone.

Do what you want.
    But do me a favor. Do not pass google groups off for fact as USENET rec.games.pinball.

- Lyman

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

More fake news as he didn't say that.

Who is 'he' to have not said that? No reference is made to any single person making that claim, therefore there are no facts to check and hence no fake news

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from sir_tankalot:

Back in my day, they called it Usenet.
    The reason that the USENET newsgroup rec.games.pinball is irrelevant today is because anyone and everyone who wanted to participate, in whatever form or fashion they wanted, could, and did.
    Eventually the people who contributed the value there grew tired of the few (but relentless!) voices who spewed negativity and bullshit.
    Typical human beings.
    That's why everybody left.
    Pinside filled the void that google groups (accessibility) and r.g.p (USENET) left behind.
    I hate moderation. I'd rather die than be moderated.
    This is the perfect way to handle it.
    Don't let a good crisis go to waste.
    If you don't like it, then just go somewhere else -- don't participate.
    That is the way the world works.
    It's one little thread that you don't have to participate in.
    Because you're the expert on this topic!!!
    And it is bogging down the lives of everyone.
    Do what you want.
    But do me a favor. Do not pass google groups off for fact as USENET rec.games.pinball.
    - Lyman

I actually disagree. Rec.games.pinball died off because it was an unorganized, text only forum. If you had a good newsreader, at least the posts were organized. But no pics. Just text.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

I actually disagree. Rec.games.pinball died off because it was an unorganized, text only forum

I wholeheartedly agree, the site was a huge cluster F*#! to put it mildly. There were some who could and would help but most times I found it was not worth the struggle to get the info.

#86 3 years ago

The new rules would have been useful when the virus thread first started. All that has been accomplished here is that now those that should have been kicked off are now insulated and will never be moderated because what they post will never come to light...….like I said, suddenly everything is being done in a vast dark room.

Those that have been removed from the thread under the old rules should be allowed to post under the new rules and enjoy the protection that has been afforded those members that due to direct intervention of the mods will be filtered and never face being kicked out of the thread; that is unless you intend to Mod in the dark as well? I mean no post could possibly be moderated if said post made it through the mod process so effect a safe haven has been created that protects them from being ejected.

Many. have been kicked out of the thread simply because as ForceFlow said they replied to something someone said......but what happened to those that initiated it????? in most cases (90%) nothing.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I wholeheartedly agree, the site was a huge cluster F*#! to put it mildly. There were some who could and would help but most times I found it was not worth the struggle to get the info.

I learned most of what I know about pinball from r.g.p. I was obsessed with it in the last 90s, reading every technical article. At the same time I was in college for electronics, a great marriage of skills.

Part of me gets that this is a pinball forum, and part of me wants to never come here again due to censorship. I guess I’ll vote with my wallet.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

As always, anyone is welcome and encouraged to use the "report post" button in the lower right hand corner of posts that they think might be violating the forum rules.

I’ve used the report button more recently, but I’ve found that the posts that I’ve reported are rarely moderated. Happy to take this to DM, but I think it’s relevant in this thread.

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-approvals-and-more/page/2?hl=trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.