(Topic ID: 59932)

Newest acquisition Buck Rogers, restoration complete.

By 72Devilz

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by 72Devilz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo3.jpg
photo2.JPG
photo1.JPG
1234220_10202008917284185_287249103_n..jpg
P1010005.JPG
P1010004.JPG
BR_Backglass_small.jpg

#1 7 years ago

It took some time but I managed to find all the parts I needed to get this free Buck Rogers back to life! Thanks to Pinsider cwg29 for a good transaction on a used backglass which arrived safely last week! I replaced the power supply with a new Rottendog unit and obtained a NOS plastic set from MAD Amusements.

Old Backglass
photo1.JPG

New Backglass
photo2.JPG

I'm truly out of room now.....
photo3.jpg

Original Posting: I came across a Buck Rogers machine in dire need of restoration yesterday, it was in my customers basement garage and he picked it up some 10 years ago free but never did anything with it so he is giving it to me. The backglass is unfortunately shot as it was hung in a window for many years and the sun and water destroyed it, all the playfield plastics have been stripped from the machine as well. The unit does not power up beyond GI but all the boards and displays are intact. The playfield is in moderate shape but overall I think the machine will be a fun project considering its free. If anybody has a decent backglass and or set of playfield plastics please drop me a PM as I will be in the market if I manage to get the machine working again.

#2 7 years ago

I just picked up Buck Rogers last week. It came with a used set of plastics. So I'll send a PM. Also the backglass on mine is descent but needs cracked paint repair (mostly on Buck). I am planning to photo and digitize in photoshop to bring it up to 300 dpi. I can share the photo if your thinking about doing a translight.

1 week later
#3 7 years ago

Update: Been touching up artwork for the Buck Rogers backglass for a couple of weeks. Man is it beautiful, so much detail. The digital work would make a great translight. Attempting a paint and waterslide decal repair on the original this weekend. My digital colors are brighter than the original and I made some compromises with the mirrored star details. So this is not a scan of the original but a compiled version of several photos and vector layers. Not even 100% complete. Your welcome to use it for your own personal use. Just send a PM and I'll send a link.

BR_Backglass_small.jpg

#4 7 years ago

I have a Buck Rogers backglass that is in it's frame. Pretty nice condition with a little bit of flaking in the flesh tones.

No plastics, though I have a playfield that I was going to touch up and clear coat.

P1010004.JPG P1010005.JPG

1 week later
#5 7 years ago

I sent you a PM Lee, I didn't see you posted a pic and yes I am currently interested, frame and all.

#6 7 years ago

Got the machine home yesterday and after an hour of checking over I got it working for the most part. I'll need to replace some drops, all new GI and rebuild or replace the power supply as the displays don't work unless you are in a blacked out room. So far I'm impressed as this is a pretty fun game considering its age.

1234220_10202008917284185_287249103_n..jpg

#7 7 years ago

I am pretty sure I have a NOS plastic set,I will check when I get home

1 week later
#8 7 years ago

Update: I got the displays working by switching out the power supply with a Rottendog system 1 PS that I got from Mad Amusements. I also got a full set of plastics from Mad as well and WOW talk about fast shipping from the east coast! The machine has made its way and found a spot in the game room and next up is getting that backglass replaced. Only downside is that these Gottlieb machines look funny next to Williams machines, I never noticed how much shorter they are!

3 weeks later
#9 7 years ago

Thanks to Pinsider cwg29 for the sale on the used backglass, this machine restoration is complete!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside