You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140411_182256.jpg
20140411_143603.jpg
20140411_143547.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So I read quite a bit about the Wolvie bash toy breaking and thought I'd see what could replace him. I noticed that some replaced with a Bowen figure and I might go that route, but I found something else that might work for $15 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NYQJGC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It is just barely too tall in the machine and may need some tweaking, but the plastic is more rubbery than not, and with some heat and cutting, I think it would fit just right AND for my tastes, it looks better than the original! Pics soon and I'll update with progress.

#2 10 years ago

Pics...

20140411_143547.jpg20140411_143547.jpg 20140411_143603.jpg20140411_143603.jpg // Error: Image 217475 not found //
#3 10 years ago

Are there any clearance issues with the ball rolling thru the Beast lane? Both his left and right elbows look pretty low. Can the ball actually hit his belt to trigger the switch or will it get deflected off the elbow?

Looks really good tho'. Keep up the good work.

#4 10 years ago

The ball does clear his elbow and you can still hit the Beast lane. I want to try and cut the back and heat up and rejoin it together to slim him down a bit. I also need to take some off of the height to clear the glass which will drop the elbow at the Beast lane, so I'll need to heat and raise his arm. The neat thing about this is that unlike the Bowen figure which are resin, this guy is a malleable plastic which I can manipulate. We'll see if it works! For $15, who cares if I destroy it and throw it in the garbage you know?

#5 10 years ago

I've had one of these banks since before the pin was released. Good luck but I see more problems with getting it to work than solutions.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I see more problems with getting it to work than solutions.

Thanks for that vote of confidence

It is already registering hits and allowing the ball to travel freely as well as mot getting in the way of the ice ramp in its current, unaltered state. It doe not allow the glass to go back on, but I think getting it there could be done without too much headache.

I will say that the build of this $15 bank seems more practical for a pinball machine than the on which costs $100 that is currently in the machine. It looks as good or better imo as well.

#7 10 years ago

That wolverine looks bad ass but again it always comes to the effectiveness. Good luck in your mod and keep us in the loop for updates.

#8 10 years ago

Looks good, and I have seen this figure before, but the Beast lane really looks a lot narrower than the original. Looking at your pictures, the Gambit playing card is covered all the way to the center. Looks like the figure is a 1/2 inch wider than the original.

#9 10 years ago

He is wider right now. It is nice that the claw doesn't hit the ball, but the base is blocking more than before. It will depend largely on how well I can change his shape. It may not work, but you never know until you try!

If I can get him to fit right, I truly think he will never break from the abuse the ball dishes out. I don't even think the paint will wear much of at all. We'll see...

#10 10 years ago

i'll watch your progress. thanks for sharing and trying to find a cheaper and nice looking solution!

#11 10 years ago

looks great!
I'd like to see someone do the markmon mod and replace wolvie with a newton ball, then just put a scaled wolverine figure on top

#12 10 years ago

several just sold on amazon [me included] so I think you might be on to something. get 'em before they're gone. lol

#13 10 years ago

eskaybee - I like that idea, too as my ONLY complaint with Xmen is the size of wolvie. magneto is fine as he's in the back of the playfield.
prototypes has a newton ball there... watch making of stern video.

#14 10 years ago

It does look better and he is in a better pose. I had my game a whole day before I started thinking about that figure instead of the original. If is does nothing else, it points out what an epic fail the factory Wolvie is. I mean it was specifically designed for use on the game and fails on so many levels.

OK...so we are going to have a ramp move over here....let's sculpt the figure so this claw is pointing directly in the path of the ramp. Now let's put his other elbow down so it catches balls unless you cut the elbow off. Good...good. Now lets position him differently on the LE for no reason so the Beast shot is 50% tighter on the LE than the Pro....that should also move him over nicely and give us a good excuse to hack half of the Blackbird plastic off that is above the scoop. Now lets make sure it is made out of the cheapest and thinnest plastic available and charge $90 for replacements of the sub $5 figure. BRILLIANT!!!

#15 10 years ago

And the bank is good for...

20140411_182256.jpg20140411_182256.jpg
#16 10 years ago

Yup. I am afraid to say that once he is cut down to clear the glass, his left elbow will block either your access to magneto, or, if you try and turn him toward the player to give a clear shot to Magneto, he'll block the Wolvie magnet. His right arm could be dealt with to be our of the way, but his left is not an obstacle you can beat. He is a nice little topper for $25 though

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

And the bank is good for...

20140411_182256.jpg 147 KB

I use mine (along with a Hulk and Spider-Man bank) as toppers for my Marvel Heroes skill stop slot machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/possible-wolverine-replacement-x-men-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.