(Topic ID: 136777)

Possible TZ purchase - what to look for?

By heathcote123

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Modman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi,

I'm going to be taking a look at a TZ soon - I'm not familiar with the machine and was hoping any owners could point out possible gotchas specific to this machine - in particular any commonly broken or expensive bits to replace.

What should I be checking?

TIA
Richard

#2 4 years ago

There are a couple things you should look at. The first thing which should be obvious through pictures is the cabinet fade its cosmetic but if that is something that bothers you. The red on the sides are commonly faded. I can't think of too many mechanical problems. Sometimes the Sensors that read the power ball are bad have the guy let you play a game with the power ball so you can make sure it registers.

#4 4 years ago

Three words... "Clock Is Broken". It will tell you at power up in the test report if there is a problem. If you get this message, you may need to repair or replace the clock boards. Good luck. I hope you get the machine.

#5 4 years ago

Check the clock is broken message,repair clock is not cheap if it involves board and gear,check the gumball machine if it's works,check the powerball system(have the ball and the system recognize it).Check for the mini playfield the magnets on it works

#6 4 years ago

How could I forget the clock

#7 4 years ago

Thanks guys, much appreciated, I shall report back in a day or two, hopefully with a new toy for the collection...

#8 4 years ago

I'd check for broken welds on the slot scoop, skill shot scoop, and right ramp. I was expecting to put a new clock board ($140) in when I bought my TZ, but also wound up replacing the weldments so that's another potential $100-200.

If it's on the home rom there's a cheat to take you into LITZ multiball where you can flail on the game and see if it has a reset problem.

#10 4 years ago

ok it's going to need some work (you know the ones where they say "yeh everything works"). It's one of those machines that's been played for a long time with no maintenance, maybe 30% of the lights left working (leds on order), right middle flipper sticking, top left flipper not working at all. Various tatty bits. Much like the last one I bought..... I never learn.

There's no red left on the side to fade , but on the flip side, the playfield looks fairly unbattered and couldn't see any mylar. Clock and gumball working.

But TBH I far more enjoyed fixing up my last one than I did playing it, so as of tomorrow I have something to keep my weekend occupied for a while now. I might do pics this time...

I think I paid too much for it, but they don't seem to come up often...

#11 4 years ago

Ball drop damage/high wear to the play field...left wire ramp...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
$ 78.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside