(Topic ID: 157551)

possible to swap WMS sys 7 backboxes+boards?

By jeffc

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jeffc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a Cosmic Gunfight body, playfield, harness, BUT no backbox/head or boards. Is it possible to use any backbox and boards from other system 7 games, like maybe from a Black Knight?

What types of challenges would I face in trying such a frankenstein?

I ask because it is probably impossible to find a Cosmic Gunfight backbox.

Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

Yep, not a problem at all, with a couple caveat's.

The backbox itself, sure, will swap no problem, even back to System 3. As long as it's not a Hyperball style box with the big lower panel, but very very few titles used that.

Lamp board, you're probably going to have to move around some lamps or make a new one. Those are actually unique between games. Displays are all mounted in the same locations for system 7, but all the lamps and shields move around. Shouldn't be hard to make one though, can just use the photo from IPDB for the lamp locations, and any system 7 lamp board will give you dimensions for overall size and display locations.

System 7 PCB's are System 7 PCB's. Just a ROM swap and you're set (Assuming they're a working board set). Again, only Hyperball is the odd game out here. Some later system 7 boards don't have as many parts populated, but they all relate to backward compatibility, so not a problem for you.

I would get an aftermarket power supply instead of the factory piece, the Williams design has huge issues with the GI lighting circuit.

Sound board is standard system 7, I don't believe you need a speech board.

#3 8 years ago

Great info HHaase. Encouraging. What do you mean by "any system 7 lamp board will give you dimensions for overall size and display locations"

#4 8 years ago

By 'Lamp Board' I refer to the white wooden board that hinges out, with all your GI lamps and displays on it. They're different for every game, you'll probably have to make your own. But if you get ANY system 7 game you can use it as a pattern to make a blank new one.

#5 8 years ago

ok, duh. I get it. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/possible-to-swap-wms-sys-7-backboxesboards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.