Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by tpetch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi! I've spent some time browsing and Google-ing, and I haven't seen any rethemes of current-gen (LCD instead of DMD) Sterns.

Is it even possible to wipe and replace the video programming component? Thinking, for example, of keeping the rule-set and gameplay of an Iron Maiden while swapping out the audio / video / backglass / cabinet and playfield graphics / plastics. Any companies doing this level of retheming? Obviously there's a big bump in donor machine cost...

#2 1 year ago

Welcome to Pinside! Very interesting idea for a your first post. I think at $7k the incentive to destroy the resale value to make a homebrew/retheme is very low

#3 1 year ago

You haven’t seen it because it isn’t cost effective. If you buy an LCD Stern, you’re already at $6K+. On top of that, you’ll pour thousands more to generate a new theme with at least at year’s worth of effort, coding and testing.

If you look at retheme and homebrew games, they’re generally built from scratch or from older donor games because it’s cost effective. Shit, you can retheme a $600 EM into an LCD game if you want, it just depends of the level of effort you’re willing to take.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from zeebee:

Hi! I've spent some time browsing and Google-ing, and I haven't seen any rethemes of current-gen (LCD instead of DMD) Sterns.
    Is it even possible to wipe and replace the video programming component? Thinking, for example, of keeping the rule-set and gameplay of an Iron Maiden while swapping out the audio / video / backglass / cabinet and playfield graphics / plastics. Any companies doing this level of retheming? Obviously there's a big bump in donor machine cost...

If anyone were to do this, it would have to be on a P3 game. You have this tiny module and the rest is up to you to develop.

#5 1 year ago

Valid point that it's cheaper to build from scratch or use an EM -- but it also seems like a bit of a red herring, given the price of an LE Bond / CE Toy Story. Plenty of cheap ways to play, plenty of expensive ways to play. Setting cost aside, has the process of swapping video content already been solved, or is this uncharted territory?

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from zeebee:

Valid point that it's cheaper to build from scratch or use an EM -- but it also seems like a bit of a red herring, given the price of an LE Bond / CE Toy Story. Plenty of cheap ways to play, plenty of expensive ways to play. Setting cost aside, has the process of swapping video content already been solved, or is this uncharted territory?

You’re mixing apples and oranges.

Have new video assets been used in Stern LCD games with existing code? Yes, see JP, TMNT, etc.

Can you completely retheme a Stern LCD with totally new video and rules? Yes, absolutely. But with that, you’ll need to essentially gut the game and start from scratch. See Mission Pinball Framework or check out one of the homebrew/retheme threads for examples of new video assets in existing or custom games.

#7 1 year ago

People have changed the sounds and video clips before for Spike 2 games. I think someone made a Deadpool after the movie.

But no one has, as a random example, took an Iron Maiden and turned it into Archer with new playfield art and such.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from zeebee:

Setting cost aside, has the process of swapping video content already been solved, or is this uncharted territory

Anything is possible.
    You could put a Kia motor into a Ferrari, but why would you?
    There have been video changes inside the existing game code. For example better video of the April O'Neil clips has been done for TMNT. Same overall theme with just those scenes altered.

#9 1 year ago

Welcome to Pinside, where you can ask a sincere question and get the response of "You're wrong."

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from zeebee:

Sort of. There have been people who have made their own mixes of certain games with pinball browser. Jurassic Park with movie code. Bond without some of the annoying bond girls. Custom sounds and callouts in Deadpool (vulgar). CPR will print you off a custom "Classic" playfield, backglass, or plastic set. https://classicplayfields.com/the-custom-shop/ I don't know if they have access to modern Stern Playfields though. If you wanted to do this, there are those who have changed the assets 100%, but I don't know of anyone who has changed the rules. You could take an existing playfield and move targets around a little bit, but no rule changes. Your lowest effort build would be custom plastics through CPR if they'll make them for you and possibly one of their playfield. Pinball Browser magic to redo the video. Go to a local comic book convention and comission an artist to paint you up a cabinet and provide them a sanded playfield with a sketch of what you want and let them go to town. You could get anything you wanted done for the price of a donor machine and $5,000-$12,000 if others are doing the work I think (mostly art). Note I've never done this, but this would be the way to do it if you don't possess any artistic abilities of your own.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

Welcome to Pinside, where you can ask a sincere question and get the response of "You're wrong."

No, he got the response of “yes it’s possible, yes people have swapped content; doing a complete homebrew/retheme seems like a pretty gargantuan task.”

Seems reasonable to me. What he does with that info is up to him.

#12 1 year ago

I think it's a great idea...go for it.

Theme art and sound along with fun play is what I love in pinball. I don't really love alot of the stuff that comes out but always imagine what I could do with any certain game. Iron Maiden is certainly one of those. Deadpool is another. Great shooters but art and execution kill it for me personally.

I'm a bit biased though as I've done a couple of games albeit dmd era, and doing my 3rd now.
    If it's something you are passionate about go for it, keeping in mind it may cost you in the long run but you have something special.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

You’re mixing apples and oranges.
    Have new video assets been used in Stern LCD games with existing code? Yes, see JP, TMNT, etc. [...] See Mission Pinball Framework or check out one of the homebrew/retheme threads for examples of new video assets in existing or custom games.

Ah, Mission Pinball Framework looks really useful -- thanks for pointing me in this direction!

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If you wanted to do this, there are those who have changed the assets 100%, but I don't know of anyone who has changed the rules. You could take an existing playfield and move targets around a little bit, but no rule changes. Your lowest effort build would be custom plastics through CPR if they'll make them for you and possibly one of their playfield. Pinball Browser magic to redo the video. Go to a local comic book convention and comission an artist to paint you up a cabinet and provide them a sanded playfield with a sketch of what you want and let them go to town. You could get anything you wanted done for the price of a donor machine and $5,000-$12,000 if others are doing the work I think (mostly art). Note I've never done this, but this would be the way to do it if you don't possess any artistic abilities of your own.

Thanks for the solid step-by-step here! Yes, the idea would be to keep the ruleset and light show as-is. Looks like Pinball Browser would allow swappage of the audio and video without even needing to bother with MPF. Even better. Can definitely chop my own audio and video, and can roll my own graphics, which I'd then pass off to CPR for backglass / cabinet / playfield. Very, very interesting... thanks again!

7 months later
    #14 5 months ago
    Quoted from zeebee:

Thinking, for example, of keeping the rule-set and gameplay of an Iron Maiden while swapping out the audio / video / backglass / cabinet and playfield graphics / plastics.

Did you decide on a direction? What are the candidate themes?

4 months later
    #16 3 days ago

A little late to this thread, but there's also a couple of people who've been working on a new version of Deadpool, Deadpool: Maximum Effort. Not exactly a retheme, but taking an existing Stern machine and recoding it from scratch.

Here's a facebook post about it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1148598398602739/posts/5352774054851798/

I didn't see any other info about it, but it's an interesting and cool project!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/possible-to-retheme-lcd-era-sterns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.