Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

doh.png
mmfix.png

#1 4 years ago

Playing my brand new MMr, I feel that the ball doesn't stick in the Merlin's Hole. I would guess that 4 out of 5 times that the show goes there, it shoots out the back right side and does not stay in the hole. The only times that it stays there seems to be when the shot is about half speed.

Is this normal on MM? If not, how might I adjust it to make the ball stay in the hole to get a reward from Merlin when earned?

Thanks for your help.

Marc

#2 4 years ago

I don't have a Medieval Madness (yet; waiting for my MMr) but with the years I've played it, I would say a straight shot from the left flipper should prett much stick. I've seen machines where the ball didn't stick as much. As an average, I would say a straight shot should probably be captured about 3 or 4 times out of 5.

So I'm pretty sur some tweaking is in order.

#3 4 years ago

Yeah I have played an original a ton and this was the same issue on the game I often play it's not mine so I was unable to tweak it. Seems like pps really got it just like the original!

#4 4 years ago

The MM around here has serious sticking problems in that same saucer. Hopefully there's a way to fix it!

#5 4 years ago

its normal, and foam has been used to help reduce the issue for about 18 years.

#6 4 years ago

That is normal for an MM. Try this product from Pinbits: http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_1&products_id=131. It basically absorbs a lot of the energy of the shot. I use it on my MM and on my IJ.

Sean

#8 4 years ago

Same issue occurred on WMS Indiana Jones

Tons of bounce outs ..

#9 4 years ago

I agree with the posts above. A fairly common issue with a relatively easy and cheap fix (thankfully.) A $2.50 piece of "dead foam" should make it perfect. Although, I do feel that a simple issue like this could have come from Stern with the fix in place (given such a common issue on the original.) But, tweaking any given game is the norm I guess.

#10 4 years ago

If the foam idea doesn't work you can also get creative with washers where the backstop attaches to the playfield. Lowering that piece just slightly can also improve ball sticking on that shot.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I agree with the posts above. A fairly common issue with a relatively easy and cheap fix (thankfully.) A $2.50 piece of "dead foam" should make it perfect. Although, I do feel that a simple issue like this could have come from Stern with the fix in place (given such a common issue on the original.) But, tweaking any given game is the norm I guess.

It could have been fixed, but would you have fixed it? With the purists on here acting borderline maniacal about every little slight difference, I wouldn't have. They bitch about a a hairline difference, then they get the good and bad of the original !!

#12 4 years ago

I'm sure that is why they chose not to "fix" it.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

It could have been fixed, but would you have fixed it? With the purists on here acting borderline maniacal about every little slight difference, I wouldn't have. They bitch about a a hairline difference, then they get the good and bad of the original !!

Now we're seeing what the real new Williams games were like originally! They need tweaking and adjustments right out of the box just like original owners always said! I guess the new Stern quality isn't that bad afterall?

#14 4 years ago

If i bought MMr and it didnt come with a fix to a known issue i would be pissed. Purists could remove the fix if they wanted.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Tkaye:

Now we're seeing what the real new Williams games were like originally!

I'm not arguing against your main point, but these new games are only Williams designs, not Williams builds.

#16 4 years ago

Now you've got me wondering if my Party Zone would benefit from some foam behind the DJ shot, can only seem to make it stick well with a sideways bounce versus a straight on shot.

#17 4 years ago

This has always been an issue with MM. The easiest and best fix is to adjust the right entrance wall a little to the left - this aims the ball to the scoop part of the backstop and makes 9/10 shots stick.

Remove the small plastic between the ramp and the entrance lane to Merlin. Observe two mounting screws holding that wall in place. Remove the screw closest to Merlin hole, then slide the upper part of the wall slightly to the left, until its mounting tab is just past the screw hole - add a small washer to the screw and reinstall it so that the screwhead and washer holds the edge of the wall's mount tab. Tighten the lower screw, then reinstall the plastic and enjoy a working Merlin saucer.

See pic - blue is the old wall position, white is new.

mmfix.png

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

This has always been an issue with MM. The easiest and best fix is to adjust the right entrance wall a little to the left - this aims the ball to the scoop part of the backstop and makes 9/10 shots stick.
Remove the small plastic between the ramp and the entrance lane to Merlin. Observe two mounting screws holding that wall in place. Remove the screw closest to Merlin hole, then slide the upper part of the wall slightly to the left, until its mounting tab is just past the screw hole - add a small washer to the screw and reinstall it so that the screwhead and washer holds the edge of the wall's mount tab. Tighten the lower screw, then reinstall the plastic and enjoy a working Merlin saucer.
See pic - blue is the old wall position, white is new.
mmfix.png

Fantastic suggestion. Thank you.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Tkaye:

Now we're seeing what the real new Williams games were like originally! They need tweaking and adjustments right out of the box just like original owners always said! I guess the new Stern quality isn't that bad afterall?

remember, it is stern putting them together

#20 4 years ago

Normal. I have a HEP MM and this happens quite.often. Not an issue with the game

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

If i bought MMr and it didnt come with a fix to a known issue i would be pissed. Purists could remove the fix if they wanted.

Stern is just doing what they are told so they really shouldn't take any flak for this.

#22 4 years ago

If you watch the papa tutorial on MM you can see how often it can happen on an original. Design flaw of the game unfortunately.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Design feature of the game.

FTFY

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Stern is just doing what they are told so they really shouldn't take any flak for this.

Agree, the playfield is the same as the WMS one, which is what everyone wanted. Only difference is that most of the WMS games have already had some kind of fix done to them. So, the new MMR owners get the full experience - buy, play, get pissed after 5 consecutive drive-thru saucer shots, take a screwdriver/foam/dremel/sledgehammer to the game and deal with WMS's original bad design, JUST like all the original owners got to do back in the day...

Now waiting for the first MMr "moat ejects going SDTM" thread

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Agree, the playfield is the same as the WMS one, which is what everyone wanted. Only difference is that most of the WMS games have already had some kind of fix done to them. So, the new MMR owners get the full experience - buy, play, get pissed after 5 consecutive drive-thru saucer shots, take a screwdriver/foam/dremel/sledgehammer to the game and deal with WMS's original bad design, JUST like all the original owners got to do back in the day...

But I thought Williams was perfect? You want me to believe that they made a mistake?!?

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You already missed it...tape was the solution! Changing the angle of the coil/plunger is a better solution though.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You missed it that actually happened last week.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

You missed it that actually happened last week.

doh.png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 3.70
$ 26.50
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
€ 9.10
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 87.00
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside