Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

01BF04EE-92D5-42F9-B6F6-E60599D8AB16 (resized).jpeg
CE8D1EBE-B350-4234-9E90-8D62087A864F (resized).jpeg
0CAF742F-C41A-4591-ABF7-48776D67CC8D (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hey pinside,

I have recently picked up a DES Twister pin, and it was restored updated etc got it home working great for a week until we left the power on the machine for 2 or more hours one day. I was told to make sure the outlet was grounded. Not sure if the outlet used was grounded or wired properly since we were in a temp house. Now the machine powers up some lights turn on the pf. No response from start button or flippers, few dots on display is about it.

What is the best course of diagnosing possible issue on a unit that needs a ground that possibly did not get grounded one?

#2 1 year ago

Hiyas!

Your problem isn't related to grounding your power outlet (that's a good idea, but it doesn't cause this).

For some reason your computer isn't coming on.

The most likely cause of this is unfortunately battery acid damage on the main computer board.

It could be a fuse!

So, inside your front coin door, on a little hook there is likely a different key. This key opens the lock in the backglass area.

If you look at the backbox, there is the dot matrix display, then above that is the backglass, in the center facing downward in the top of the wood framed backbox is the lock for the backglass.

Insert the key, turn it. Then run your fingers down the glass until you find the 'lift rail' plastic. Get your fingers under this little 'lip' of plastic, lift upward (less than an inch), and the bottom of the glass should clear it's track. Then pull the bottom toward you an inch or so, and lower the glass out of the top track. Set the backglass to the side.

Inside are three boards, a small one in the upper left, and two big ones on the right. In the upper right corner are some flashlight batteries. We are looking for evidence of battery acid, or corrosion. Let us know what you find.

Best answer is no battery acid problems!

On the bottom big board, there are lots of fuses.

With the power on and the front door closed, all four of the LED's in the middle should be on. Let us know if you don't have one of those LEDs on.

A lot of times this is a fuse issue, so if we know which LED isn't coming on, we can help figure out which fuse.

This could be a lot of things, so if you suspect something, take a hires picture of what you see and post it here.

Get back with us and I'm sure we can help you!

Thanks!

#3 1 year ago

Had this issue with a friend's AFM ...
checked everything and then lastly the LEDs ... the Bulbs were all fried!

#4 1 year ago

PinRetail all the power diodes we’re on, but came across this on the top board. Looks like this wire got soldered in to bypass (?). Then after awhile of the machine being on it and touching the metal backplate the wire warmed up melted and arc’d.

Watch batt has been installed, no leaking

so c109 capacitor is fried, the bypass starts at c110 to the positive side of c109.

Now what’s the best corse of action? Is The circuit board damaged that why a wire was there to begin with?

01BF04EE-92D5-42F9-B6F6-E60599D8AB16 (resized).jpeg01BF04EE-92D5-42F9-B6F6-E60599D8AB16 (resized).jpeg0CAF742F-C41A-4591-ABF7-48776D67CC8D (resized).jpeg0CAF742F-C41A-4591-ABF7-48776D67CC8D (resized).jpegCE8D1EBE-B350-4234-9E90-8D62087A864F (resized).jpegCE8D1EBE-B350-4234-9E90-8D62087A864F (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

Hiyas!
Your problem isn't related to grounding your power outlet (that's a good idea, but it doesn't cause this).
For some reason your computer isn't coming on.
The most likely cause of this is unfortunately battery acid damage on the main computer board.
It could be a fuse!
So, inside your front coin door, on a little hook there is likely a different key. This key opens the lock in the backglass area.
If you look at the backbox, there is the dot matrix display, then above that is the backglass, in the center facing downward in the top of the wood framed backbox is the lock for the backglass.
Insert the key, turn it. Then run your fingers down the glass until you find the 'lift rail' plastic. Get your fingers under this little 'lip' of plastic, lift upward (less than an inch), and the bottom of the glass should clear it's track. Then pull the bottom toward you an inch or so, and lower the glass out of the top track. Set the backglass to the side.
Inside are three boards, a small one in the upper left, and two big ones on the right. In the upper right corner are some flashlight batteries. We are looking for evidence of battery acid, or corrosion. Let us know what you find.
Best answer is no battery acid problems!
On the bottom big board, there are lots of fuses.
With the power on and the front door closed, all four of the LED's in the middle should be on. Let us know if you don't have one of those LEDs on.
A lot of times this is a fuse issue, so if we know which LED isn't coming on, we can help figure out which fuse.
This could be a lot of things, so if you suspect something, take a hires picture of what you see and post it here.
Get back with us and I'm sure we can help you!
Thanks!

Silly nitpick: there's no "battery acid". Leaky batteries in pins are pretty much always alkaline batteries, and the electrolyte is (of course) alkaline, i.e. pH higher than 7 (acid is pH lower than 7). The only commonly available battery with acid in it is lead-acid battery, the kind you find in motor vehicles to provide 12V for starting and running accessories when the engine's off. I've never heard of anyone putting a lead-acid battery into a pinball machine.

This is of course mostly a pointless matter of semantics to worry about, but I mention it because it could be someone might come across the post, think that actual acid is involved, and attempt to neutralize the acid with some kind of alkaline substance (e.g. baking soda), which would just make the problem worse. There's a small possibility that making sure we're accurate about terminology could matter.

#6 1 year ago

pete_d... I agree, and I don't think it's nitpicking. I usually write 'battery acid (alkaline)', I don't know why I didn't this time.

Kow86,

All machines come with a history.

The capacitors next to the audio output look as though they failed, leaked electrolyte (looks like corrosion on the top of the board by the green caps), so a previous tech replaced the caps, and where the traces were compromised they ran that little piece of black wire.

You would think that there is enough clearance that the wire wouldn't have shorted to the backplane, but maybe it did. A little piece of electrical tape would probably keep things from shorting out.

The big problem is figuring out if your computer board is actually working.

The two LED's on your CPU (Top board) should be on.

If you have a meter, CN2 (bottom left of the top (CPU) board) should have +12v, -12v, Ground and +5v on the pins that are marked on the board.

If you've got good power in, then it's a matter of why does the CPU not seem to be running, and that starts getting into board repair.

Let us know what you find.

1 week later
#7 1 year ago

PinRetail thank you!

Good news if fixed that one bad cap. Check the rest(all good). Put a thin layer of high heat silicon on the back plate in that area and high heat sleeve on the wire repair just to be sure it does not arc again. Cleaned up electrolyte. Power is flowing everywhere it should on the board. Installed, works great!

The power issue was a faulty fuse I re checked and half the time it read good and the other bad. So my preliminary check threw me off there. At least it was just a fuse for the suspected power issue.

Bad news… just played a round and the display went out… powered up fine, played 2 games and by the third it went out.

Pulled the boards going to check the caps on all 3 boards. Anything else to keep my eyes out for?

For now a break.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/possible-no-gfi-result and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.