(Topic ID: 148695)

Possible first time buyer looking for advice.

By kirbysuperstarSN

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by brenna98
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello, this is my first post on pinside so I hope this is the right sub forum. Me and my SO love pinball and have started looking into buying our own pin. We found a local pizza place with a South Park table and started playing. The table was playing nicely until one of us started a new ball and immediately hit the spooky vision eject hole. Not only did the ball not eject, the table acted as though the ball never started. We talked to one of the employees who picked the front of the table while it was still on and dropper it back down. The dot matrix turned off, however, I believe the music was still playing. We have been thinking of offering $500 for this table and it sounds as if this offer might be accepted. I want to know if this is a good idea as a first table if our offer is accepted considering that I have no previous pinball repair experience. Do these problems sound serious? How much would it approximately cost to repair? Should we continue to save money and buy a first class condition table for our first purchase instead? Thanks for your advice.

#2 8 years ago

Welcome! I would ask if you want to learn repair. If you are willing to dive in, then find a cheap project and have at it!

Are you set on a DMD for your first game? If so, I would try to find one in good working order that maybe just needs a good cleaning.

Where are you located? I'm sure there are other pinsiders in your area that would be willing to help you find your first game.

Good luck and make sure you have room for more than one!

#3 8 years ago

If you can get it for that, it sounds like a good deal. At that price, I don't think any repair would make it not worth it.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from kirbysuperstarSN:

We talked to one of the employees who picked the front of the table while it was still on and dropper it back down.

brutal!

I have $500, and would absolutely kill for a machine like this at this price, but then I have considerable electronics experience. BUT FOR YOU, IMHO, I would recommend you pass on this one for your first until you have a better idea of what goes on under the hood. Not saying you should buy a "first class" table, but try to buy one that is closer to fully working. Maybe one that fully boots, DMD/displays work...something playable but having minor issues like bulbs not working or a switch not registering. Buy from someone with a decent reputation is helpful. You don't want to get turned off of the hobby by getting into possible money-pit lemon for your very first.

#5 8 years ago

I'm not sure if I'm set on a DMD, it would be nice. I got hooked on pinball from playing The Pinball Arcade and my local barcade. I love the newer DMD tables like AC/DC, KISS, and TWD. I also enjoy the tables from the mid 80's on into the 90's Data East's Simpsons, Funhouse, Sorcerer, ect. Not sure if I would really enjoy repair, I feel I would be too afraid to permanently damage something. That being said I would still be willing to learn repair as I have gathered from lurking that it kinda comes with owning a table. Originally we where thinking of saving $2000-2500 for a nice older table with very little work but when this opportunity came up we had second thoughts as to what would be the best course of action.

I'm located in Grand Rapids, MI. I guess I should add that to my profile.

#6 8 years ago

Lots of really great local pinheads in GR and surroundings.
If you need assistance, you can get it from many locals.

#7 8 years ago

I would buy that machine at $500 all day. Working or not you could pass it on to someone here at around $1000. Now you have 1k towards a pin...

#8 8 years ago

Though I doubt you could get it for $500, it would be a steal

My opinion, you would be best suited to buy a functioning game for your first. Enjoy it, and fix the small issues as they come (to get feet wet). Nothing would be worse than owning only one machine that doesn't work, and you can't seem to figure out.

#9 8 years ago

If you can get the machine for $500 or even $1000, then go for it. This is assuming your at least mechanically and electronically inclined. If you like doing those things, then you will work your way through it. This community has amazing resources, and will help you with your journey. When I jumped into the hobby, I bought an old EM game that had not been working for 25 years. Thru a bit of hard work, and a lot of help from the Pinside community; I got it 100% working.

Pinball becomes a sickness...Buy 1, and you will want more.... If you have any sense run away.....

#10 8 years ago

If you can get a south park for $500, its worth it! Since you're new to pinball, it would be better for you to find someone local to repair it and clean it for you.
I always suggest that new owners start small with repairs; Switch adjustments, rubbers, bulbs, cleaning.

Commonly needing fix/replacement are opto switches on this game: Kenny has 2 on either side that registers hits and makes him bend forward.
There are also optos in the ball troth that like to fail and not register the correct # of balls. You can get new ones from Pinball Life.

South Park is a fun and easy game to get started with. Good luck and welcome to pinside.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Auburn, WA
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/possible-first-time-buyer-looking-for-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.