(Topic ID: 138880)

First pin: [an almost] 1 owner F-14 Tomcat!

By Ill87pin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

160029-i.jpg
untitled.jpg
IMG_20150915_184945475.jpg
IMG_20150915_184803622.jpg
IMG_20150915_190431812.jpg
IMG_20150915_184930749.jpg
IMG_20150915_184748711.jpg
IMG_20150915_184853238.jpg
IMG_20150915_184812053.jpg
IMG_20150915_184738520.jpg
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hey pinsiders...first post but have been on the forums before. An opportunity has come to finally purchase my first now that I have my own space. I have been in love with pinball for at least 20 years so this is pretty cool to me!

I have been looking around CL for something to catch my eye, I really want a Bride of Pinbot but they are hard to find cheap and in decent shape around here. HSII: The Getaway was another one on my radar but they go fast.
F-14 Tomcat pops up, another Steve Ritchie. It's within my budget (around $1000). I have never seen or played this one so it got me interested. I checked reviews and background on the game, a lot of people like it and a lot of people hate it. Has some common issues but hopefully they aren't too hard to fix.

Checked out the game today, met the owners; grandparents who won it in a fundraiser in 1989! They have had it in their home ever since, their kids and kid's kids grew up playing it. It has never has seen commercial use. Very unusual these days! That being said, it has seen a ton of use. And has some wear/issues.

The good:
One owner, home use
All new rubber
New flippers
All lights work as far as I can tell, including crisp displays
Plays great (kickback and flippers are strong) with one exception (see The bad)
Sounds great
Has owners manual
Has service receipts (last one in 1998 but has recent undocumented work)

The bad:
Backglass access panel not opening properly
Center jet bumper is not activating (owner claims possible contact corrosion)
Playfield is dirty, mylar is peeling and bubbled almost everywhere (affects gameplay)
Main ball launch, kickback, rear loop areas have excessive playfield wear (though the other common spots are not worn)
May need some switch adjustments

The ugly:
Playfield glass has a few minor scratches, minor chip in a corner
Minor scratches/scuffs to cabinet in a few areas, chipped wood underneath coin box side
Drilled hole on right side of coin box (seems to be functional to something but I'm too new to know why)

Ad claims it to be appraised for $1200 but they are asking $995. I will pick this one up for the right price, what is a fair offer?
Here is the ad URL: lasvegas.craigslist.org/tag/5198669434.html

Thanks for the welcome!

#2 8 years ago

Good luck dude....hope it works out for yaa....any of those prices are fair.....offer a tad lower as that's how I roll on CL.......bumper could just need an adjustment...............Joey

#3 8 years ago

Not a bad price but check the boards for corrosion, like Breaking dad said they may never have opened the machine that includes changing the batteries! I doubt its huo it has ALOT of coinslot wear. This is irrelevant though with the condition of the game that you stated and in no way should affect the price.

#4 8 years ago

Hey man, so first of all welcome to the forum! This forum is full of some seriously knowledgable people that have been dealing fixing, modding, maintaining and in some cases building machines from scratch! So basically, you are in the correct place for all things pinball. If something goes wrong on your machine somebody will know the problem and be more than happy to help you fix it. Some great stuff here!
Anyway, I'm here in Vegas also and I've been looking at that F-14 ad for a couple weeks now also! Pins don't last long on CL here in Vegas compared to other places I've noticed. So when I see this F14 still for sale I've suspected something was up with it. The pics of it look great and from what you describe the mechs work and all the lights work which is very good. Lots of cosmetic issues on the cab and playfield glass but thats not a big deal at all. Throw a new sheet of glass on and youre good. The pop bumper not working will be an easy fix cause its only one so it means its JUST that one, not a whole string of coils basically (someone correct me if my logic is wrong). Adjusting/replacing switches is super easy, and so is bulb replacement. It sounds like the machine works 100% which is PERFECT for a first machine as it works great and you just need to maintain it at this point.
On to the bad, The mylar is notorious for bubbling up on F-14 on the inserts. It always happens. And forget about peeling up the mylar on a system 11 machine. You will do FAR MORE damage from what I understand to the playfield than it currently has. The bubbles affecting play is no good at all sooooo not sure if a playfield swap would be in order, or pull the mylar and hope for the best?? I'm sure someone will chime in with some f14 input. The excessive playfield wear looks bad yes but usually can be touched up enough to get it playing good again at least. So basically the mylar issues are the major problems. Oh and I would offer $700-800 at the most. It is a working System 11 and an awesome title. F14 rocks. Hope this helps, I am still very new to the hobby and I hope someone will correct me or add anything that I missed or am wrong about haha. Good luck man pinball is awesome!

#5 8 years ago

Breaking_Dad
thanks!

Spitfiren8
The receipts from 1989 have their name on it so I know it's their machine. Like I said 5 kids and their kids have been playing this for nearly 3 decades. The ad states all electronics have been replaced but details are just that. I didn't go through all of the receipt details.

MikeTangoIndia
Yeah it's been up for a couple weeks. I ignored it at first because I have never heard of the game until I saw it was next to be digitized on Pinball Arcade! Made me look into it a little more. Plus, there was a Getaway in Havasu but didn't get to it in time.
You are correct there is only 1 jet bumper in the game so it affects the gameplay quite a bit. Other than the bubbling mylar the game is tight. We couldn't get the backbox open and he didn't know how to lift up the playfield (and neither did I since I'm a noob) so I couldn't really look at the electronics in detail. The interior of the cabinet was clean other than some random things and dust.
How much is a playfield swap? Mylar replacement if successful? I'm trying to factor these into the offer. The owners were super awesome and welcoming to me, seemed like honest people. If there is something major with the thing that needs fixing they would either tell me or honestly not know better. I also have to cover my butt just in case.

Keep the feedback coming! So far this website is awesome

#6 8 years ago

I recently breathed life into a ran down F14 (paid $1200 and spent another $1000 on it, at least). I took the plunge and removed the mylar and corrected some inserts. It came of quite alright and only took some letters of the inserts with it. There are no new F14 playfields, what you buy is what you get. Playfield wear in the kickback, loop and shooter lane is common. The shooter lane damage is fixable with some wood putty on the rails and new vinyl. Mine has this too but I can't care less, I want a good player F14 and I'll just keep the playfield waxed and I'll enjoy it for years to come, hoping there will be a replacement playfield down the road or pickup a HUO on a garage sale (yeah right).

As with all pinball machines you should focus on the machine unique parts, those are hard to come by. Flippers, bumpers, slinghots and other non-unique parts could be missing all completely. Don't judge a machine by having "strong flippers", it's a $20 fix.

F14 is a hard machine when setup properly. I bought one now because I couldn't afford to play it when I was a kid. I'm still working on mine but is very near completion (it's playable). I'm thinking that if you get skilled and can play F14 with full control, you can do anything.

#7 8 years ago

dri
All unique parts are here. Some of the decals are peeling and faded, particularly the "Kill Yagov" decal. Decals can be made so that's not a big deal. The physical parts are all there. Would you advise to remove the mylar and just go waxed playfield? It's hard for me to think of one other thing that needs more attention besides the jet bumper. Fixing the playfield surface and jet would make this machine play near perfectly. What do you think a good offer is?

#8 8 years ago

Great first pin. Yes it's hard, but that's what keeps you coming back for more. Never get bored of it.

You should find the app to level it properly and then see how it plays after that.

Quoted from dri:

I'm thinking that if you get skilled and can play F14 with full control, you can do anything.

Yeah pretty much it's perfect for training . Other pins can seem slow after long periods on this.

Quoted from Ill87pin:

I ignored it at first because I have never heard of the game until I saw it was next to be digitized on Pinball Arcade!

They will not get it playing like it does in real life. Waste of time, don't bother.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Great first pin. Yes it's hard, but that's what keeps you coming back for more. Never get bored of it.
You should find the app to level it properly and then see how it plays after that.

I'm set on the gameplay. I love how fast it is, and combined with the light show and sound, it was fun for the 2 games I played. I even killed Yagov on the second game.

At this point I am just trying to ask everyone how much it's worth paying for and why.

#10 8 years ago

Well , with those minor issues it won't take much time or $ to fix, clean up , new mylar.

It sounds like a good players machine to me from description, you have also played it.

#11 8 years ago

$700-$900 is about where I'm at with this. Don't want to low ball the guy but need to cover anything unseen plus fixing what it needs. I told him I would get back to him soon, once I did some research on how much the repairs would cost.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Ill87pin:

dri
All unique parts are here. Some of the decals are peeling and faded, particularly the "Kill Yagov" decal. Decals can be made so that's not a big deal. The physical parts are all there. Would you advise to remove the mylar and just go waxed playfield? It's hard for me to think of one other thing that needs more attention besides the jet bumper. Fixing the playfield surface and jet would make this machine play near perfectly. What do you think a good offer is?

If they ask $995 for it I wonder why you haven't got it yet? It looks like an absolute bargain to me.

Here's a picture how my PF after the mylar came off: https://instagram.com/p/1EuU4JDWHg/?taken-by=dri374 As you can see, some insert top coat along with the print came off . Removing mylar can be quite difficult, I used upside down compressed air and it's a work of art how to rip it off cleanly. The glue was sticky as f**k on this one and I think half a bottle of wildcat went into it.

Here's another picture of the upper playfield: https://instagram.com/p/2NVCPIDWNT/?taken-by=dri374 You don't really notice the shitty inserts once you put something glittery things above it.

I also added color matching LEDs (Comet non-ghosting clear dome) in all inserts and it gives the machine a good sting, the light show on this pin is beyond anything else from the same era (). I kept incandescent bulbs in the GI for now, I'm still on the fence on that.

Don't worry about peeling stickers, those can be easily reproduced.

#13 8 years ago

F 14 is a ton of fun and always has you coming back for more! You always want to play one more game. I'd say $850-950 you'd be looking pretty good, I picked up an F 14 about a year ago and am still having a lot of fun with it. F 14 also makes good trade bait and sells easily if priced reasonably should you want to move it along in the future. I say take the plunge and put in an offer!

#14 8 years ago

If you can find a way to get in the backbox and verify there is no battery corrosion I would buy it. There is a lock on the head that has to be unlocked before you can lift the backglass up and remove it. If the owner doesn't have the key to the backbox look inside the coindoor, there is almost always a hook with a backbox key on it here.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Not a bad price but check the boards for corrosion, like Breaking dad said they may never have opened the machine that includes changing the batteries! I doubt its huo it has ALOT of coinslot wear. This is irrelevant though with the condition of the game that you stated and in no way should affect the price.

Seriously try to get that backox open. If the batteries have leaked all over the board that's no Bueno. Gets pricey quick trying to fix/restore/replace boards. It's pretty easy to get it open. Hopefully he has the key that goes right above the back glass. Then just lift out the glass and set aside, then lift and release the little silver latch on the right hand side and then the backboard SHOULD swing out o the way haha. Sometimes it takes a little lifting/wiggling on my system 11 Pool Sharks as well.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Ill87pin:

$700-$900 is about where I'm at with this. Don't want to low ball the guy but need to cover anything unseen plus fixing what it needs. I told him I would get back to him soon, once I did some research on how much the repairs would cost.

I would offer them $900 PRONTO. Why: It's not far off from their price, and if someone is absolutely dying for F-14 nearby they may snatch it up at the asking price with no question before you can even close the deal.

My other thoughts, overall it isn't terrible. If it is booting and running, well - you know corrosion hasn't damaged board (at least not enough to kill it) if the batteries are still onboard and leaking. Get them offboard right away and clean up any corrosion if they have started to leak. The mylar bubbling is fixable by careful removal, but if the inserts are raised under that mylar you are going to have a lot more work to do.

F-14 can get you angry. Got to have the tilts a little loose to save those screamers STDM. Yagov will throw the ball over your flippers just as the flight insurance expires. DIE! ...then you beat him back with a right handed backhand shot careening the ball off the backside of the the upper right flipper to enter that multiball mode with fireworks of red white and blue, sirens and music. What's not to love?

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from dri:

If they ask $995 for it I wonder why you haven't got it yet? It looks like an absolute bargain to me.
Here's a picture how my PF after the mylar came off: instagram.com/p/1EuU4JDWHg/?taken-by=dri374 As you can see, some insert top coat along with the print came off . Removing mylar can be quite difficult, I used upside down compressed air and it's a work of art how to rip it off cleanly. The glue was sticky as f**k on this one and I think half a bottle of wildcat went into it.
Here's another picture of the upper playfield: You don't really notice the shitty inserts once you put something glittery things above it.
I also added color matching LEDs (Comet non-ghosting clear dome) in all inserts and it gives the machine a good sting, the light show on this pin is beyond anything else from the same era (). I kept incandescent bulbs in the GI for now, I'm still on the fence on that.
Don't worry about peeling stickers, those can be easily reproduced.

I haven't offered $995 because of the playfield issues, and the more than average cabinet wear.
I will likely take the plunge as well in removing the mylar. I will look for tips on how to get it off if the time comes. Yours looks good!

Quoted from skywelker:

If you can find a way to get in the backbox and verify there is no battery corrosion I would buy it. There is a lock on the head that has to be unlocked before you can lift the backglass up and remove it. If the owner doesn't have the key to the backbox look inside the coindoor, there is almost always a hook with a backbox key on it here.

He had the key and we were turning it while trying to slide the glass up to pull out the bottom but could not get enough room above the glass to clear the bottom. Maybe he was using the wrong key?

Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Seriously try to get that backox open. If the batteries have leaked all over the board that's no Bueno. Gets pricey quick trying to fix/restore/replace boards. It's pretty easy to get it open. Hopefully he has the key that goes right above the back glass. Then just lift out the glass and set aside, then lift and release the little silver latch on the right hand side and then the backboard SHOULD swing out o the way haha. Sometimes it takes a little lifting/wiggling on my system 11 Pool Sharks as well.

He kept saying the electronics in the backbox were replaced so maybe he had a battery leak in the past? Again could not get the glass to slide out to confirm.

Quoted from wayout440:

I would offer them $900 PRONTO. Why: It's not far off from their price, and if someone is absolutely dying for F-14 nearby they may snatch it up at the asking price with no question before you can even close the deal.
My other thoughts, overall it isn't terrible. If it is booting and running, well - you know corrosion hasn't damaged board (at least not enough to kill it) if the batteries are still onboard and leaking. Get them offboard right away and clean up any corrosion if they have started to leak. The mylar bubbling is fixable by careful removal, but if the inserts are raised under that mylar you are going to have a lot more work to do.
F-14 can get you angry. Got to have the tilts a little loose to save those screamers STDM. Yagov will throw the ball over your flippers just as the flight insurance expires. DIE! ...then you beat him back with a right handed backhand shot careening the ball off the backside of the the upper right flipper to enter that multiball mode with fireworks of red white and blue, sirens and music. What's not to love?

They did say someone else was coming to look at it this week but that's all the info I have. I'd like to have an offer for him by the end of the day. I don't think the inserts are bubbled but I could be wrong. The mylar was completely trashed tons of dirt under the peeling sections. Bubbles throwing the ball off. Is $850 too low? I would be comfy at $900 if mylar and jet bumper are fixable but I haven't seen in the backbox yet...

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Ill87pin:

He kept saying the electronics in the backbox were replaced

A rather broad statement since there are a lot of electronics in the backbox. Since it plays...that in itself speaks volumes. I'm not saying it won't need work to make it reliable (power supply filter cap comes to mind, for example)

Mylar is fixable. Tricky, but fixable. Leveling inserts - that's a wayyyy bigger deal. You need to be able to run your finger on the mylar bubbles to figure if the inserts are raised (or depressed) underneath. That's the difference in whether I would offer $900 or not, probably shoot a little lower out of the gate with my offer if I had to do repair the inserts as well as the mylar.

I understand your caution, but I feel the price is probably within the ballpark for the stated condition. If you like F-14 and are not afraid of doing some work, shoot a reasonable offer out that isn't a low ball. If you wait too long you may miss the chance entirely. The worst they could do is not respond with a counteroffer.

#20 8 years ago

Ugh, this thread is a MESS.

#21 8 years ago

Sounds like the game has been ridden pretty hard for a "1-owner game".

Do not buy the game until you get the backglass off and inspect the boards.
I did this once. Learn from my mistake.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

A rather broad statement since there are a lot of electronics in the backbox. Since it plays...that in itself speaks volumes. I'm not saying it won't need work to make it reliable (power supply filter cap comes to mind, for example)
Mylar is fixable. Tricky, but fixable. Leveling inserts - that's a wayyyy bigger deal. You need to be able to run your finger on the mylar bubbles to figure if the inserts are raised (or depressed) underneath. That's the difference in whether I would offer $900 or not, probably shoot a little lower out of the gate with my offer if I had to do repair the inserts as well as the mylar.
I understand your caution, but I feel the price is probably within the ballpark for the stated condition. If you like F-14 and are not afraid of doing some work, shoot a reasonable offer out that isn't a low ball. If you wait too long you may miss the chance entirely. The worst they could do is not respond with a counteroffer.

I felt the bubbles on the mylar over the inserts but the bubbles were too raised to tell if the insert was also raised. I would like to see what he says to $800 but I do not want to insult.

Quoted from jwwhite15:

Ugh, this thread is a MESS.

How can it be cleaned up?

#23 8 years ago

Personally I would save up a couple hundred bucks and find a nicer example around $1,200-1,300. If you really think you're gonna put in the effort to remove the mylar and fix any damaged inserts, paint, etc then it's not a bad deal.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Sounds like the game has been ridden pretty hard for a "1-owner game".
Do not buy the game until you get the backglass off and inspect the boards.
I did this once. Learn from my mistake.

I will see if I can return tonight and I will make sure we can get it open and I'll see if I can check the inserts. Does this pin have a game counter?

Quoted from jeffpm:

Personally I would save up a couple hundred bucks and find a nicer example around $1,200-1,300. If you really think you're gonna put in the effort to remove the mylar and fix any damaged inserts, paint, etc then it's not a bad deal.

I don't mind putting some work into it, one of the reasons I want this one is so I can learn to fix things on any other machine I get. I am somewhat inclined to do work. I'm an auto mechanic by trade so working with my hands and tools is my thing. Plus, it's not easy to find a decent game in this town that isn't at a dealer.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Ill87pin:

How can it be cleaned up?

I hate to be a butt-head but the facts are few, the questions are many, you have received good sound information from knowledgeable F14 owners, the pictures in the listing are not very good, the "issues" you state you are worried about are extremely minute, the coversations are going in circles, and for this area almost any working half decent F14 is worth at least 1k.
HUO - with the issues listed and the drill hole I doubt it. Yeah maybe they bought it new but replaced all the electronics (huh, why) and not BG keys...yeah right.
If there is no chevrons broken or lifting the pf is in pretty great shape, the cab looks extreme nice, appraised(?) if it was really appraised by someone other than their neighbor it would have a listing at a much higher price. I guess I should just let it go...
Like I said, take the good advice you have received and make a decision. For your area and CA that is a real deal at the list price...

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

I hate to be a butt-head but the facts are few, the questions are many, you have received good sound information from knowledgeable F14 owners, the pictures in the listing are not very good, the "issues" you state you are worried about are extremely minute, the coversations are going in circles, and for this area almost any working half decent F14 is worth at least 1k.
HUO - with the issues listed and the drill hole I doubt it. Yeah maybe they bought it new but replaced all the electronics (huh, why) and not BG keys...yeah right.
If there is no chevrons broken or lifting the pf is in pretty great shape, the cab looks extreme nice, appraised(?) if it was really appraised by someone other than their neighbor it would have a listing at a much higher price. I guess I should just let it go...
Like I said, take the good advice you have received and make a decision. For your area and CA that is a real deal at the list price...

You have every right to be a butt-head! I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't expecting some hard words. I really am novice to this so there are going to be a lot (a LOT) of dumb questions. I am trying to relay information to you experts the best of my ability at this point. Even if the information is excessive and redundant. I don't speak "the lingo" yet. I don't know any better than the owners. They didn't buy it new, they got it in a 1989 raffle and claim it was new then. No idea why the electronics were replaced.

I will contact him and see if I can go look at it again with this new found information. If the backbox boards look new and the inserts aren't raised I will offer $900, if inserts need work I will do $850 and if the board is trashed $800. Fair?

#27 8 years ago

F-14s in good shape are 1200-1400. 900 sounds fair, just buy it and figure it out. all F-14 inserts have issues and removing the mylar can cause more issues than what you start with.

-c

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Ill87pin:

No idea why the electronics were replaced.
If the backbox boards look new ...if the board is trashed

Electronics fail. You really don't know what was replaced...and don't worry if boards don't "look new".. Old boards can run fine, an old board can be replaced with a new original board - and still "look old". Mine had a new Rottendog power supply board in it and Pinscore displays, I consider those huge positives in terms reliability. In this case, with the game running, I highly doubt the boards are anything close to trashed. I've bought Bally games with DEAD boards in them. You might have to relocate batteries and clean some surface corrosion, repair some connectors and replace some power supply parts - all typical servicing to bring a game up to reliable play around this price point. If there was no boot up and corrosion, I'd factor in the cost of a replacement CPU board, I don't think you'll find that the case here.

#29 8 years ago

Thanks guys!! I think I now (yes, now lol) I have what I personally needed to hear. You guys are great. I will keep you updated.

#30 8 years ago

Good luck man! Let us know!! And with BETTER pics if you get it hahaha!

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Good luck man! Let us know!! And with BETTER pics if you get it hahaha!

Thanks! However the guy is not answering his phone now...

#32 8 years ago

You might have waited too long. Don't sweat it, the next time you'll just be more prepared to make a timely decision.

#33 8 years ago

He doesn't seem like someone who would ignore calls. More likely not knowing how to use a cell phone, he's probably in his 70s. I feel like he would tell me if it was sold. Plus it wasn't that long waiting. No more than 18hrs after being there in person.

#34 8 years ago

That thing is looooooong gone.

#35 8 years ago

I think that was a routed game, I think the holes in the front are from a coin box lock bar

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

That thing is looooooong gone.

Yup...Loooooong gone.......

#37 8 years ago

Usually Gotta jump quick on the deals.. Interesting that it sat so long though on cl before just dissapearing in the last 24hrs while you considered it.

Future reference opinion -- I wouldn't split hairs over a couple hundred dollars of parts and a little work. On the other hand (for me at least) play field wear is hard to fix correctly and swaps are either expensive and time consuming or impossible if none are available.you could certainly pull the Mylar and touch up and re Mylar over the touch-up or just live with any art loss but if you like fixing things it's hard not to start to throw more time and money into the project then you meant to..

FYI on the key issue as well -- I had a sys11 with same issue. Key was just sticky and you had to really push it in for it to engage all the way and release the lock on the bg completely.

#38 8 years ago

......because I got it!!

I called him a second time, turns out he never heard his phone earlier and doesn't know how to check missed calls (flip phone)

A few updates:

I asked about the charity fundraiser, he was not specific if it was new when he got it but described it as being in "good shape." That, combined with the physical evidence, will confirm that it probably isn't a HUO. Only since 1989. Still, I can't imagine a lot of these out there being home used for that long.

Going back to the playfield and re-inspecting it. The wear areas are perhaps not as bad as I described. There are many inserts that are definitely raised, however. Most of them being the triangle inserts. Some worse than others. All of the chevrons looked flat other than the bubbling mylar.

I told him the deal wouldn't be finalized until we got the backbox open for inspection. Turns out there was a problem with the lock. It will not turn far enough to allow the glass to be removed. Before I arrived, he decided to use pliers to turn the key and broke the key off in the lock!! So he will be getting the lock drilled out to have a new one installed before I pick it up.
We did find the receipt for when the electronics were replaced (very little details), which was late June of this year. He called the tech that has been servicing it to ask about replacing the lock. I talked to him about the work that was done. He said the batteries leaked onto the board so he had to replace the board and batteries. Once the lock gets replaced I will be able to see exactly what was done.

Anyway, he agreed to $900! He said he was offered more, but I had cash in hand. Thank you guys again for all the great advice! I hope this game brings me years of fun!
I managed to get a few pictures. He had it in a very dark corner of his living room so I had to rely on my camera flash so please excuse the glare.

IMG_20150915_184738520.jpgIMG_20150915_184738520.jpg

IMG_20150915_184812053.jpgIMG_20150915_184812053.jpg

IMG_20150915_184853238.jpgIMG_20150915_184853238.jpg

IMG_20150915_184748711.jpgIMG_20150915_184748711.jpg

IMG_20150915_184930749.jpgIMG_20150915_184930749.jpg

IMG_20150915_190431812.jpgIMG_20150915_190431812.jpg

IMG_20150915_184803622.jpgIMG_20150915_184803622.jpg

IMG_20150915_184945475.jpgIMG_20150915_184945475.jpg

#39 8 years ago

Enjoy! See above post about key. And good luck with Mylar removal -- hope it's a success!

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Enjoy! See above post about key. And good luck with Mylar removal -- hope it's a success! If the pop bumper issue is not a switch adjustment (or even if it is) it could have locked on and blown the transistor. Easy enough to fix.

I will enjoy it! Yeah it's a bit late for the key...he broke it off in the lock so it will be replaced soon. The tech on the phone said the bumper is a switch adjustment. Apparently it was working in June so hopefully I can fix it permanently instead of it going out every few months.

#41 8 years ago

Congratulations! I think you got a nice machine at a fair price. My advice is before you start on the cosmetic work, assess the electronics health thoroughly.
Get a DMM.
Read thoroughly the repair docs online (especially section
Before turning on the game for the first time)
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm

Have fun, kill Yagov!

#42 8 years ago

I second Way Outs sentiments. Game does not look all that bad. Price seemed reasonable enough. The hole in the front of the cabinet is not unusual. Mine had the same thing. Filled it with wood putty and color matched the red. Not so bad. Question though...If it was HUO, why the need for a lock down bar?? Unless it came from the dealer with that already installed. Who knows/cares. Enjoy getting it dialed in.

G

#43 8 years ago

Congratulations. You got a working f-14 for $900 bucks. That's plenty good. Now you can have a blast. If you want to enjoy it, just wipe it down and play it for a few days. Get to know the little issues. Then you can tear it down and really clean a it up nice!

Treat your self to about $25 bucks worth of handy items. Some Novus 2, new pinballs, replace burned out lights with cheap incandescents (with the power off!) and a cheap screwdriver that reverses with the built in 1/4 socket.

Have fun!

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

I second Way Outs sentiments. Game does not look all that bad. Price seemed reasonable enough. The hole in the front of the cabinet is not unusual. Mine had the same thing. Filled it with wood putty and color matched the red. Not so bad. Question though...If it was HUO, why the need for a lock down bar?? Unless it came from the dealer with that already installed. Who knows/cares. Enjoy getting it dialed in.
G

Yup, same thing here. Little wood putty and match the color, good to go. If you think about it, pinball 30 years ago was mostly commercial, not likely a very high percentage of games went directly to personal use...not like today. Most games were made to be on route and make money. The high volume of F-14's production is not because everyone wanted one in the home, but because F-14 was making people money.

Regardless if routed or HUO, the condition of the game is all the matters. It could be in mint condition with lockdown bar holes, or it could have a playfield worn to the wood and no lockdown bar holes. Play on.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

replace burned out lights with cheap incandescents

Boooo. Don't do that. LEDs will correct for washed out lenses, and give you all the benefits of low power consumption, immunity to vibration (no filaments) and longer lifespan...and they simply look killer in this game with all the flash lamps

untitled.jpguntitled.jpg

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Boooo. Don't do that. LEDs will correct for washed out lenses, and give you all the benefits of low power consumption, immunity to vibration (no filaments) and longer lifespan...and they simply look killer in this game with all the flash lamps
untitled.jpg

I agree 100%. My suggestion was for a cheap and fast start to enjoying the game.

#47 8 years ago

Good. I was just running a sanity check for ya, Nevus.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/possible-first-pin-1-owner-f-14-tomcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.