(Topic ID: 105036)

Possible divorce-forced HUO purchase....

By TheDrewster

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by labnip
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6697.JPG
IMG_6631.JPG
days.jpg
pinball-on-roof-1.jpg
image.jpg
hugsc.jpg
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago

fyi- the new divorce move is getting a restraining order on the guy right out of the gate....he cant even go close to the house without going to jail....I hope you took the proper paperwork with you for a bill of sale.

#102 9 years ago

Hi Drew,

If there's any question from your discussions with her about whether she has authority to sell, then confirm she has title. That's the big thing. If she's selling her husband's games, and she doesn't have the right to do that, you may end up with a problem. I'm not sure that you need to go seeking out information, but if she tells you something like "my husband is a jerk so I'm selling the games out from under him" then you are not longer an innocient, bona fide purchaser for value.

-JB

#103 9 years ago

Lots of lawyering here. I imagine this varies state to state due to differences in community property, timing of acquisition, etc.

#104 9 years ago

My dad has a friend who did these "divorce sales" in the paper several times a year but with pickup trucks that he'd bought cheap to flip. He's retired now, but he did this for years. He'd tell the guys that it had to sell this weekend, had to be cash, and that his wife couldn't know about it. He'd claim that he was selling at a big loss, but this was far from true. He'd make a big show of meeting the guy out in the driveway, looking back at the house to make sure he wife wasn't looking out the window, etc. I think he did pretty well selling the trucks.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

So tonight I am going to be checking out 4 HUO machines, all with sales receipts. South Park, Batman The Dark Knight, Simpsons Pinball Party, and Theatre of Magic. The couple is getting divorced and she is supposedly hot to sell the machines. I don't know if she knows the value of the machines or not, but I know she is smart enough not to be chumped. I want to buy all 4 machines, but what should I expect to pay? I already know what I want to offer, but I want to make sure I am on the right track.

Does she have a big rack?

#106 9 years ago

So Drewster, which TSPP is the keeper? The one you are getting or the one I sent ya?

#107 9 years ago

Just so everybody knows, the machines were purchased by her for her kids. The husband was not into pinball. I have met both parties. Everything is OK with the deal. These people have a $500,000 house in the upper scale area of Reno, they were loaded with money for new toys at once point. But now they are selling the house and everything in it and parting ways. Sad, really. Seems like they had a good thing going.

Quoted from o-din:

So Drewster, which TSPP is the keeper? The one you are getting or the one I sent ya?

I am keeping yours! Even though yours had the small hole between the flippers, yours had the later-run playfield that had the corrected silkscreen on Homer's head, which is more important to me. And I have high scores on there that I really don't want to redo. I have only been able to get to Alien Invasion once...haha.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

Even though yours had the small hole between the flippers,

Yeah. That hole. What were they thinking! Glad you are still enjoying it. Besides that it was a very nice machine if I remember correctly.

1 week later
#109 9 years ago

Well, I had high hopes but the deal did fall through. 15 minutes before I arrived at the house, I got the whole "family emergency leaving for the airport right now" excuse. Drove past the house later that night and saw their cars there and their lights on. If something did truly happen, I wish the best for them, but I have a feeling they got cold feet on the deal. But its ok, life goes on. If they got a better price for the games, good for them. If they decided to keep them, good for them. If life got tough, I wish them well. I am sure the divorce is probably a messy one. But alas, the hunt continues!

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

I wish the best for them, but I have a feeling they got cold feet on the deal. But its ok, life goes on.

This is what honor looks like

#111 9 years ago

Or maybe they reconciled.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

Well, I had high hopes but the deal did fall through. 15 minutes before I arrived at the house, I got the whole "family emergency leaving for the airport right now" excuse. Drove past the house later that night and saw their cars there and their lights on. If something did truly happen, I wish the best for them, but I have a feeling they got cold feet on the deal. But its ok, life goes on. If they got a better price for the games, good for them. If they decided to keep them, good for them. If life got tough, I wish them well. I am sure the divorce is probably a messy one. But alas, the hunt continues!

think i saw the husband & his friends on the roof

pinball-on-roof-1.jpgpinball-on-roof-1.jpg

#113 9 years ago

You waited too long. Point and case once price is negotiated pick them up that day.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

You waited too long. Point and case once price is negotiated pick them up that day.

Work comes before pinball. It is what it is.

#115 9 years ago

You should stake out the house and see if any games move out.

I wouldn't be surprised if another person saw the ad, called her up and offered her a couple bucks more.

Isn't that what usually happens around here?

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

wouldn't be surprised if another person saw the ad, called her up and offered her a couple bucks more.

Isn't that what usually happens around here?

yep this. pins would have already gone. maybe they'll get flipped on here soon ?

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

Work comes before pinball. It is what it is.

i have my South Park for sale.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

Well, I had high hopes but the deal did fall through.

WHo saw this coming?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Never gloat about a deal before you have the games home.
Never tell everyone here what you paid for games as when it's time to sell everyone will give you hard time.
I'm sure you'll break a third rule before this is over, I'll let you know.

Oh right.

And you did break a third rule - never wait two weeks between making that killer deal and picking your stuff up.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I have one. bought new from betsons and I still have the goody bag stapled inside. It will be for sale someday but not today

I bought a HUO TOM from an estate sale about 5 months ago and paid $5,000. It was like once in a lifetime thing and had to pay the other buyer there not to outbid me. Bought the color dmd, and leds. Never to be sold and really magical, unbelievable. Never imagined that I would ever have one, and also the same for MM and one coming later. Frigging unbelievable and proud and been really lucky getting really nice pins.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WHo saw this coming?

Oh right.
And you did break a third rule - never wait two weeks between making that killer deal and picking your stuff up.

I didn't wait two weeks to make the deal. This all happened within the same week. It was a decent deal, but I wouldn't say killer deal. $12,500 is a LOT of money for something, regardless. Get over your "rules," bro.

#121 9 years ago

my South Park is still for sale

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

Oh come on. An HUO TOM? That could easily be 6k by itself. TSPP? $4500. BDK and SP ... I'd say another $7500. Now, if you bought them all together perhaps you can ask for a couple thousand off. But unless this person is clueless on the value and unless you have no conscience ... expect to pay in 16k-18k range.

I agree with you. I paid 7500 to 8k for a true HUO TOM this time last year at a house near Expo from Mike V. and I am still very pleased.

#123 9 years ago

Such drama. Like sands through the hourglass..... days.jpgdays.jpg

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

I bought a HUO TOM from an estate sale about 5 months ago and paid $5,000. It was like once in a lifetime thing and had to pay the other buyer there not to outbid me.

So then it cost you more than $5,000? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay the other bidder?

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

So then it cost you more that $5,000. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay the other bidder?

500 but he was there first and he said he was going to outbid me since the seller was taking highest bidder, and then said he would not out bid me if I gave him 500 bucks. He didn't think I would say okay but when I did he cursed and jumped up and down saying dang dang dang. More people were showing up to see it and even at 5,500 I knew it was a bargain and just wanted to get it out of there before some one did happen to show up and then outbid me. I believe the machine is worth 8k with the color dmd and leds. Pristine. I also was fortunate enough to buy a HUO Twilight Zone from a person that I knew who was selling it for a family he knew and the original owner passed away with Lou Gehrigs disease and I got that for $4,800. He knew I would keep the TZ and enjoy it so he discounted it a little for me. With the MMR coming I think I will have a very nice collection and will only sell if someone buys the whole lot like say for 100K then start over buying remakes! True story and if any pinsider is in Albuquerque look me up.

#126 9 years ago

for 500 bucks you can come to any auction I attend

3 weeks later
#127 9 years ago

Well, it looks like patience and good faith paid off. The guy contacted me back today, offered an even lower price for the machines for the inconvenience, and even delivered them for me. Turns out there was indeed a family issue and told me the whole story. I felt bad for the guy, but everything has worked out for everybody involved, so it truly is a happy ending. Here they are all nestled away in the garage until I get a couple friends over to help me move them into the house.

IMG_6631.JPGIMG_6631.JPG
#128 9 years ago

Good for you. Enjoy, good thing come to those who wait.

#129 9 years ago

Make sure to zip tie the garage lock!

#130 9 years ago

Good for you man...... Nice to hear a happy end

#131 9 years ago

You lucked out. Cool. Ed

#132 9 years ago

Well played, sir. Well played.

Luke

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

Well, it looks like patience and good faith paid off. The guy contacted me back today, offered an even lower price for the machines for the inconvenience, and even delivered them for me. Turns out there was indeed a family issue and told me the whole story. I felt bad for the guy, but everything has worked out for everybody involved, so it truly is a happy ending. Here they are all nestled away in the garage until I get a couple friends over to help me move them into the house.

IMG_6631.JPG 190 KB

congrats!

#134 9 years ago

I was about to say this scenario is my worst nightmare. Coming home and the wife has sold all my stuff. Reading your last post is now my dream. Good deal and delivered. Nice.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WHo saw this coming?

Oh right.

Spoke to soon.

#136 9 years ago

Good Story! Congrats.

#137 9 years ago

Nice work, looks like they were more like guidelines than rules

#138 9 years ago

Cool! Congrats. I had a feeling that this would happen.
Enjoy.

#139 9 years ago

Drewster... well played!

Congrats.

#140 9 years ago

Congrats Drewster. Happy for you and I admire the "fuck your rules I'll do what I want" spirit. No.. honestly... It's refreshing. You deserved the win here.

#141 9 years ago

Is that TOM ready to play yet?

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Is that TOM ready to play yet?

Indeed, and it is quickly becoming a favorite.

#143 9 years ago

Nice to hear it worked out for you.

#144 9 years ago

umm, what's with all the NIB sterns sitting beside them??

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

Indeed, and it is quickly becoming a favorite.

Enjoy! I was a little on the fence about my TOM at first, but I love it now..lots to do and just a really fun and beautifal looking game.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

umm, what's with all the NIB sterns sitting beside them??

Those are Elvis Golds. I have another thread about that pickup haha.

#147 9 years ago

Looks like a haul TheDrewster. Can you give us a rundown of the condition of each, now that they are home? What was your final cost?

#148 9 years ago

Ahahaaa ! awesome deal. So much for those "rules"

#149 9 years ago

She hot?

#150 9 years ago

Paging CrazyLevi...CrazyLevi!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/possible-divorce-forced-huo-purchase/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.