(Topic ID: 206024)

Possible collab on custom flipper for Ghostbusters? May be pointless?

By UrethraFranklin

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinmister
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sin título-2 (resized).jpg
open inside (resized).jpg
closed (resized).jpg
open (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

So there aren't any newer pinballs that I can really go out of my way to nab $$$ wise, but I really like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ghostbusters. For GOG I'd be happy with Pro, but I played Ghostbusters and I like it a lot but I'd only want the premium. But I think the flippers are a little too short for me to really want to own one.

But as I was looking at it, yeah it needs longer flippers. But I was thinking it'd be cool to design a flipper that actually opens like a ghost trap.

I was trying to think of how I could accomplish the flippers opening at certain points in the game. One way would just be to add something to the playfield that activates a lever on the bottom of the flipper to open when used, but I assume that after a while, whatever catch would be there would snap after 100's of uses.

I assume the only way to make it work is to have a wire that activates at certain points in the game, but have ZERO idea how to wire that up.

I am pretty good at 3d modeling and have access to CNC machines and 3d printers, so the actual making of this wouldn't be hard. I figured it'd be fun to put an actual ghost on the inside of them, maybe the no ghost logo, or just leave it flat for a nice decal on the inside.

How stupid am I for thinking this could work? I've seen mods where you just plug something into the WPC, or Stern mods where you plug something in under the playfield.

Is there anyone who knows how to wire stuff up, but doesn't have the ability to 3d model like I could?

I also know how to mold and cast and if a successful part was designed, I could mold and cast what I needed. Just curious if someone thinks it's possible.

#2 6 years ago

So here is a quick mockup. I am not sure what kind of motor or system could fit inside that small area marked in blue. But for the door I can make a thin aluminum piece that sits on the bottom so nothing gets worn out.

I am thinking maybe a small pivoting arm made of metal? And for the wiring to be able to feed through I could easily have a hollow post that is possibly spot welded onto another thin piece of aluminum?

Any ideas, or is this just not possible? I would also think there'd be some other games that'd be fun to do this with if it works. Maybe coffin flippers for Elvira?

open (resized).jpgopen (resized).jpg

closed (resized).jpgclosed (resized).jpg

open inside (resized).jpgopen inside (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

If there is enough space inside the flipper, you can add a micro Electromagnet + Transistor to open/close the flipper cover.

Where to connect to pinball is not as easy as in previous models to Spike, because Spike does not use a wires matrix, but a Serial Bus (without any technical information available. CAN bus, RS485, custom bus... ?), so it should probably be limited to connecting to any lamp, Bumper or Flasher Lamp, with an optocoupler.

Is this possible to do? Yes, the necessary electronics is quite simple. The mechanical part I do not know, everything depends on the space available within the flipper, and the ability of each one to design the opening/closing mechanism of that cover.

Sin título-2 (resized).jpgSin título-2 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

If there is enough space inside the flipper, you can add a micro Electromagnet + Transistor to open/close the flipper cover.
Where to connect to pinball is not as easy as in previous models to Spike, because Spike does not use a wires matrix, but a Serial Bus (without any technical information available. CAN bus, RS485, custom bus... ?), so it should probably be limited to connecting to any lamp, Bumper or Flasher Lamp, with an optocoupler.
Is this possible to do? Yes, the necessary electronics is quite simple. The mechanical part I do not know, everything depends on the space available within the flipper, and the ability of each one to design the opening/closing mechanism of that cover.
» YouTube video

Ok thank you so much. If electronics can fit inside, I am sure I am come up with something. I really am clueless when it comes to how to connect it to the playfield, wpc, or whatever it takes to power it.

Here is a second question that can also make this not possible. Flippers seem fairly straight forward right? They don't seem to be solid resin, if this were hollow to accompany electronics, toys, or decals, does the weight of the flipper dramatically change the game? As in is there a possibility the gameplay will be ruined by this being a non standard flipper? It could be a little heavier than your standard flipper, or the same weight. So let's say if it's a little heavier than your standard flipper because of everything that's done possibly cause the ball to shoot into the glass and shatter it? Will it be more easy to break the playfield plastics if the flipper is dramatically different?

I can never help but think of the movie the Jerk, as in if this was a good thing that I was able to do for a few games, but found out that I was ruining people's games because of a dramtic change in gameplay and everyone sues me.

Or is that just the risk most people are going to take when they mod their machine, nature of the beast sort of thing?

And let's say you have your standard size flipper. Where the post is (thick side) and the side towards the gutter (thin side) ---> I'm still a lamen...
Let's say I make the thin side a little wider to accomodate electronics, or whatever really. Is that going to make people mad? Will that in itself ruin standard gameplay?

#5 6 years ago

Sure you can put inside the flipper a micro electromagnet, the electronics does not have to be inside, you just have to pass two wires to activate the electromagnet from outside. Easy to connect to any lamp, bumper or flasher. More sophisticated is to connect it to the matrix of wpc, data east, SAM, Spike or Whitestar, but for first tests easier to connect to insert lamps, bumper of flasher.

I think the flippers are hollow, I've seen some mod with internal lighting, so they have to be hollow, or at least some models. The weight of a micro electromagnet is negligible, they do not have to affect the behavior of the flipper.

Do not change the shape and size of the flipper, that would be a major mistake. Keep the same size and shape, put inside a micro electromagnet and the mechanism to open or close the lid. The electronics to control the mechanism is simple, also the way to connect it to the pinball. The most complex thing is to make the mechanism, or to each one will seem the most complex that which is unknown how to do it.

#6 6 years ago

Flipper bats have quite a bit of cross-bracing molded inside of them, and sometimes that cross-bracing breaks from lots of use, making the flipper bats have a "spongy" feel. I've had to replace a few flipper bats due to this. I don't think you'll get a satisfactory feel, or longevity, from a hollow flipper bat. You'll probaby have to look at existing designs and come up with some kind of similar internal cross-bracing.

#7 6 years ago

I know people have put lights inside flippers before, so anything is possible. I do like the idea of making longer ones and possibly engraving them on top, but I do not think adding a mech that opens would be cool. Flippers are for flipping and I do not think adding a mech would be ideal. You are busy keeping your eye on the ball/s, and trying not to drain. What about adding magnets at the end of the flippers? Wonder if it would affect the ball enough to help with the extreme flipper gap on Ghostbusters without drastically affecting game play, kinda like a crutch?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 103.00
15,699 (OBO)
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/possible-collab-on-custom-flipper-for-ghostbusters-may-be-pointless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.