Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by seshpilot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I heard of a non pinhead that had a Diner awhile back. I saw a picture of it but no luck finding the guy. The guy who showed me the picture told me the owner had a slot for sale. I have a co-worker looking for a slot and jumped on the opportunity. I took pictures if the slot for my friend and started talking about the Diner. Cab is excellent, playfield is pretty shot. All of the insert decals are gone. I hear rumors of a CPR remake so thats fine with me. It has an Adjust Failure. Ramps are cloudy, cup is yellow. I offered $1300 as a fair price to get him interested in selling. He has to talk to the wife though but seemed interested.

Thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

If your keeping it long term its probably a good deal. The adjust failure could be as simple as dead batteries. Restoring it may cost you more than you will get for it later?

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

If your keeping it long term its probably a good deal. The adjust failure could be as simple as dead batteries. Restoring it may cost you more than you will get for it later?

I am after a nice System 11 collection so it will stay for a bit.

#4 10 years ago

Hmmm...that is going to be quite a bit of work. Trust me, I know.

The cup is ALWAYS yellow, so that has to be replaced if you want it nice, but it's only $50. The ramps are easy to clean with Novus 3-2-1 and a brief flame polish (if you've never flame polished though, be ULTRA careful. PM for details on how to do this. 1 second too long and the ramp is ruined). The adjust failure is most likely just a dead battery. I just bought my 2nd Diner with an Adjust Failure. New batteries took care of that. Check to see if there's any alkaline leakage though as that also could cause that error.

IF you can wait till CPR comes out with their playfield (and seriously, who knows how long that will take. Usually what they report on their site is not as accurate as the rest of us would like), then it might be a fun project. You'll have an excellent playfield (and their stuff is quite good), an excellent cab, and freshly cleaned ramps/cup/etc... I don't think you're getting a "deal" by any means though. After all is said and done, you're looking at around $2700-$3000 and probably 30-40 hours of work for that Diner. Granted, it will have a brand, new playfield, but you've got to decide what you can afford to spend.

Personally, if I had the space to store it and patience to wait, I'd be tempted to pick it up. I'd probably end up passing though unless he went down to $1k due to lack of space and a wife who thinks rationally about investments (a dead Diner w/no inserts would be a hard sell).

I also LOVE working on pins. Diner is not an easy foray into pin restoration due to the back cup assembly. It's a pretty beast of a tear-down. I'm more than happy to help you with pics and tips if you decide to go this route though! It's definitely a fun undertaking, and is a great way to spend some summer nights in the garage.

-------------
I'm going to be selling the Diner I just picked up (the 2nd one) in about a week or two. Here are the details:
PF is a 7.5/10: really nice but has some mylar bubbling in typical places on this game and minor insert lift. Cab is a 6/10: no wood showing anywhere and shaped fine, has scratches/slight fade from being on route, been touched up with black where needed. Backglass is a 9/10, as is the display. No errors and plays fantastic.

Game will:
1. have brand new legs,
2. have brand new speech and music chips,
3. have new balls,
4. be completely torn down and cleaned with Novus (then, it will be fully waxed),
5. re-rubbered with new rubbers,
6. ramps will be cleaned with Novus 3-2-1 and flame polished to look fantastic,
7. every bulb checked and replaced where necessary,
8. metal guides and ball trays will be shined up via steel wool,
9. inside of cab will be cleaned out,
10. have several other new misc parts where needed.

Not sure what my asking price will be yet, as I'm waiting to see how it all turns out. PM me if interested.

1 week later
#5 9 years ago

Did you get my PM? Diner is now for sale.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/possibility-at-a-diner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.