Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by fattdirk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
2019-10-30 20.47.55.jpg

#1 8 months ago

So I recently picked up a Nascar. The MPU definitely has some acid damage to it that was repaired in the past.
I cleaned up the game, fixed a few Optos, installed some new rubber and repaired the car mech.

It was playing fine for about a month but now it is possessed. The game will just start a random multiball but it's not actually in multiball. It will just kick out all 4 balls into play and continue to do that. I can just leave the machine sit and it will continue to kick the balls out but then at a certain point it will drain and go to the next ball and play fine.

I've played a 2 player game and one player it will do the crazy long fake multiball but then player 2 will play fine and it won't happen again.

I've tested the playfield switches, the voltage is at 5.10 measured on the MPU.

It is running Rom version 4.0 - so this is an odd thing - I suspected maybe the rom was corrupted so I burned version 4.5 from Stern's website and the game won't even boot with it. I've tried 2 separate chips and it just blinks like it's blanking anytime it tries to boot.

I'm at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated. I'm suspecting the acid damage is the issue. I just hate to go buy a new MPU if it's something I can repair since it's not the most desirable game.

#2 8 months ago

You definitely want code 4.50. Code lower than 4.20 can burn up coils.

Is this a reimport?

#3 8 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

You definitely want code 4.50. Code lower than 4.20 can burn up coils.
Is this a reimport?

No - when I install 4.5 it just gives the blanking signal. I downloaded the rom file directly from Stern. I'm leaning towards my MPU being fubar.

#4 8 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

No - when I install 4.5 it just gives the blanking signal. I downloaded the rom file directly from Stern. I'm leaning towards my MPU being fubar.

Depends on how bad the acid damage was and how well it was cleaned. If it got inside the traces, easier to just start over with a new MPU.

#5 8 months ago

Pretty bad

2019-10-30 20.47.55.jpg
#6 8 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Pretty bad[quoted image]

Yeah, there are enough potential trouble spots left in that I'd just start over. That must have been a huge mess before the repair was attempted because even cleaned up, it still looks baaad.

#7 8 months ago

You should probably burn it

#8 8 months ago

Sounds like it could be the trough opto pcb’s

#9 8 months ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Sounds like it could be the trough opto pcb’s

It has switches on it. That was my first thought. I tested them pretty throughly. I was actually considering just replacing them all shotgun style.

#10 8 months ago

There should be 2 opto pcbs at the end of trough

#12 8 months ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

There should be 2 opto pcbs at the end of trough

So the jam optos would cause the multiball issues?

#13 8 months ago

I had a never ending multiball scenario with Lord of the Rings, after going through all the optos and still having the issues, I tried a factory reset.

That worked for me .

I would assume since you've changed the ROMs out that it resets then, but it never hurts to try.

#14 8 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

So the jam optos would cause the multiball issues?

Yes They can, they are pretty cheap for the pair of pcbs.

#15 8 months ago

yes the jam opto 100% will cause this issue. also, nascar can do random ball saves here and there and the display will tell you "ball save". so you know its not an opto at that point. its in the code for odd situations and always has been. ive owned a few nascars and all of them do it. But yes, change both trough opto boards and you should be fine. those opto pcb back then fail quite often.

#16 8 months ago

Alright so I think my rom burner might be on the fritz. I tried the 4.0 version of the rom I had in my LOTR board I swapped over and it booted fine. The 4.0 rom shows a bad checksum when I read it with my burner so on a whim I tried burning a new one and that chip wouldn't boot. I also burned another copy of the 4.5 code and it didn't boot.

I ordered a set of trough jam optos as well as the 4.5 rom from Marco so we'll see if that fixes the issue. I'm actually going to swap the acid repaired MPU back over and do a through test.

Thanks for the help so far.

1 week later
#17 8 months ago

Well I can't thank you guys enough!!

Nascar has been successfully exorcised. I'm pretty sure those trough optos were the issue.

I replaced them, rebuilt the flippers, installed the new 4.5 rom and the game plays great except the garage shoots down the middle a lot.

I'm going to reposition the garage and it should be good to go.

Thanks again!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside