6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pahuffman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Someone posted in "More Craigslist Laughs" about a positive experience selling a pinball machine on Craigslist and I thought that there may be enough positive experiences to start a thread devoted to them. You can never have enough positive threads on Pinside in my opinion so lets see how it goes. I will get it started.

I sold my Jumping Jack a few weeks ago to a very nice guy who was buying his first machine. We scheduled a time and he pulled up to the house right at the agreed upon time, which is always a good start. He had brought his 13-year old son to try out the machine and they agreed to purchase it for the advertised price and had cash on the table. He was a little nervous about buying his first machine so I took some time and showed him around the machine, explained some basics of cleaning and maintaining, as we took the heads and legs off I put them in separate baggies and labeled what the went to, we labeled the Jones Plugs to give him piece of mind, and I helped him carry the machine to his car. I had a small box for all the baggies of bolts and such and I gave him a box of replacement bulbs, a flexstone for cleaning the contacts and the website addresses for Pinside, Pinball Resources and Pintastic.

While I was showing his father the machine my son played pinball with his son and when they were ready to go the son wanted to know who drew the Thor sketch I had framed on the wall as he was a huge Thor fan. I told him it was by Walt Simonson and he did not know who that was. I told him to hold on and went into the other side of the basement where I store my comics and stuff and came back with an 80's issue of Thor signed by Walt along with a different sketch of Thor by Walt that I got at a different convention. I handed them to him and told him to enjoy them. He told his dad to wait while he read the comic and I told him no, they were his now and to take them with him and enjoy. He was so shocked he handed them to his dad and did the "We are not worthy" Wayne's World bow to me which cracked my wife up to no end, he was a funny kid.

I followed up a few days later to see if the machine arrived alright and if he had any questions but the machine was working great and he was thrilled to have a pinball machine in his house. I would be hard pressed for an easier transaction.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

Someone posted in "More Craigslist Laughs" about a positive experience selling a pinball machine on Craigslist and I thought that there may be enough positive experiences to start a thread devoted to them. You can never have enough positive threads on Pinside in my opinion so lets see how it goes. I will get it started.

Hey that's my thread buddy

I originally started the thread just to complain about a rash of ridiculously priced pins in my area on Craiglist - but it's not a phenomenon restricted to Craigslist - it just happened to be a source I had been browsing in search of a pin on my low budget. It always amazes me when I visit that thread that it is now up to 4,268 posts, and some of the wildest ads that I could never think of are posted. Not just prices but all kinds of crazy out there.

In all honesty, the few that I have purchased on Craigslist were positive experiences, pins sold to me by great folks and fair prices...perhaps exceptions to the rule, but there are some good Craigslist sellers out there.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Hey that's my thread buddy

It is, without a doubt, one of my favorite threads on Pinside! Some of the ads are just amazing, like machines that are in a field broken apart with $500 asking prices or the "Only 4,500 made, very rare" verbiage that so many seem to repeat. Or my favorite "I know what this is worth" when they are asking $4k for a non-working Kiss machine with no backglass.

#4 6 years ago

Sadly, as is with most things, most people seek out threads like that to vent about bad experiences. Rarely do people want to write about positive dealings on Craigslist, but I've had a multitude of great transactions. Every game I've ever sold was on Craigslist, and I've yet to have a bad experience. In fact, many of the people I've met on those transactions are great people and I'll hear from them every now and then. I've also been casually buying and selling on eBay for years with almost no problems. It all comes down to how you approach the situation.

#5 6 years ago

And that wasn't an attempt to bash wayout's thread. Some of the prices on there are completely ridiculous!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/positive-craigslist-and-pinside-experiences and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.