(Topic ID: 50541)

Portal Multiball - 1 year 5 months to get there

By DaveH

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I finally got there. I have been improving and gettin close for the past month. Just concentrating on smoother more relaxed play. And that all went out the window when I lit the Portal insert for the first time. Took about 4 tries to hit the scoop. And there I was jumping up and down as it started.

Fantastic dots, everything was wild. It was a very short run and everything was going crazy. I spit the bit fairly quickly, but it didn't matter. I finally made it there. A year and five months after it arrived I got there. Hopefully I go back soon.

I will also say I think it was easier in the new software. Being able to restart disc multiball is a huge advantage toward completing it. As is the extra ball I earned on the ramps. But I'll take that extra bit of help.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

How many games ya reckon?

It took me about 900 games. I started getting close about 6 months ago, but then I just kept getting worse and worse.

Final score was 170.6 million. I had put up 178 without getting there, but that was before the update, so the 170 is the GC on the machine now.

I know a game can't make you happy, but I'm just thrilled to finally get it.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from cmproductions:

Still never been!!! Boo!!! I've gotten so close too!

Quoted from jar155:

I haven't made it yet. Funny enough I got to SOS my first time with the game, but now I only get there maybe once every 10-15 games. Haven't been real close to Portal yet, but I imagine I'll have that lucky/great game soon.

Keep trying. It is a fun goal to have. I think one of the biggest changes I made more recently was really trying to complete the modes. For a long time I was just tring to get to SOS, but getting there with almost everything flickering makes SOS a monumental task. One that I actually had no hope of completing. My mind was saying just get there and get lucky enough to make all the shots. But I'd just start squeezing the machine when I entered SOS. For the past few weeks I was trying to finish everything, including requalifying and redoing modes I whiffed on. Having disc, Quorra, LC all lit solid makes SOS so much easier to complete. All I had left was CLU, and playing that in SOS means no timer, so it was much easier there.

And of course, now I need to beat Portal

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

that's why you should just shoot clu on the left ramp to the return lanes to close him out. if you are shooting well, the left ramp is the easiest shot to hit (besides 3bank or disc) imo. best update in the software was being able to switch clu rolloves in SOS, whereas you previously couldn't.

I think I've spent 5 minutes shooting at gem in SOS before draining. lol

As I recall (with hundreds of games on the old software I should know this), if you went into SOS and finished a mode in SOS on the old software, didn't the mode unlight after you drained? I didn't recall it staying lit, where now it does. I could be wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/portal-multiball-1-year-5-months-to-eat-there?tu=DaveH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.