Portal Multiball - 1 year 5 months to get there

By DaveH

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I finally got there. I have been improving and gettin close for the past month. Just concentrating on smoother more relaxed play. And that all went out the window when I lit the Portal insert for the first time. Took about 4 tries to hit the scoop. And there I was jumping up and down as it started.

Fantastic dots, everything was wild. It was a very short run and everything was going crazy. I spit the bit fairly quickly, but it didn't matter. I finally made it there. A year and five months after it arrived I got there. Hopefully I go back soon.

I will also say I think it was easier in the new software. Being able to restart disc multiball is a huge advantage toward completing it. As is the extra ball I earned on the ramps. But I'll take that extra bit of help.

#2 10 years ago

How many games ya reckon?

#3 10 years ago

What was your final score?

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

How many games ya reckon?

It took me about 900 games. I started getting close about 6 months ago, but then I just kept getting worse and worse.

Final score was 170.6 million. I had put up 178 without getting there, but that was before the update, so the 170 is the GC on the machine now.

I know a game can't make you happy, but I'm just thrilled to finally get it.

#5 10 years ago

hell ya! this machine is brutal if set fast and kept clean. I swear to friends some pro's are assembled differently from others, creating harder quorra and gem shots (like mine). I've played other trons, and the shots are super smooth.

congrats! portal is awesome!

#6 10 years ago

Congrats. No lie first time i played tron i got to Portal. Its been almost 1.5 years myself since i have been back. Crazy.

#7 10 years ago

Still never been!!! Boo!!! I've gotten so close too!

#8 10 years ago

I hit it once the first week I got Tron (closed outlanes) was one shot way the other day, love that game!

#9 10 years ago

i've got it 5 times on about 300 games with a fairly sensitive tilt. The morning after I got the game in my house I reached it but didn't even realize it until it was lit....didn't even know how I got there at the time either. My high score on it is 150 and it seems I don't get over 100 w/out portal.

Big points seem to happen when I hold off on light cycle multiball until quorra and clu are lit and gem are running simultaneously. Also disc multiball has a nice payoff if you reach the super jp.

#10 10 years ago

I haven't made it yet. Funny enough I got to SOS my first time with the game, but now I only get there maybe once every 10-15 games. Haven't been real close to Portal yet, but I imagine I'll have that lucky/great game soon.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from cmproductions:

Still never been!!! Boo!!! I've gotten so close too!

Quoted from jar155:

I haven't made it yet. Funny enough I got to SOS my first time with the game, but now I only get there maybe once every 10-15 games. Haven't been real close to Portal yet, but I imagine I'll have that lucky/great game soon.

Keep trying. It is a fun goal to have. I think one of the biggest changes I made more recently was really trying to complete the modes. For a long time I was just tring to get to SOS, but getting there with almost everything flickering makes SOS a monumental task. One that I actually had no hope of completing. My mind was saying just get there and get lucky enough to make all the shots. But I'd just start squeezing the machine when I entered SOS. For the past few weeks I was trying to finish everything, including requalifying and redoing modes I whiffed on. Having disc, Quorra, LC all lit solid makes SOS so much easier to complete. All I had left was CLU, and playing that in SOS means no timer, so it was much easier there.

And of course, now I need to beat Portal

#12 10 years ago

I have not yet made it in about 4 months. My buddy made it there probably 10th night he played at my house =( I will never hear the end of that.

Congrats on making it as far as you did.

#13 10 years ago

if you don't have gem and zeus closed out before you enter the SOS, you are pretty much asking for a drain. I always try to close them out before I start SOS.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

if you don't have gem and zeus closed out before you enter the SOS, you are pretty much asking for a drain. I always try to close them out before I start SOS.

The toughest shot for me is through the bumpers so clu is tough in sos for me. Haven't had a situation where i needed quorra or tron though on sos so i'm not sure how tough those are.

#15 10 years ago

I lit it once, but never got there.

#16 10 years ago

Great point, especially not having gem it is a beast to hit in SOS , got portal once in close to 50 plays.way to go now if someone can tell me the trick to getting encore on acdc would be much appreciated

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from EvanBingham:

The toughest shot for me is through the bumpers so clu is tough in sos for me. Haven't had a situation where i needed quorra or tron though on sos so i'm not sure how tough those are.

that's why you should just shoot clu on the left ramp to the return lanes to close him out. if you are shooting well, the left ramp is the easiest shot to hit (besides 3bank or disc) imo. best update in the software was being able to switch clu rolloves in SOS, whereas you previously couldn't.

Quoted from triadwatch:

especially not having gem it is a beast to hit in SOS , got portal once in close to 50 plays.

I think I've spent 5 minutes shooting at gem in SOS before draining. lol

#18 10 years ago

that's why you should just shoot clu on the left ramp to the return lanes to close him out. if you are shooting well, the left ramp is the easiest shot to hit (besides 3bank or disc) imo. best update in the software was being able to switch clu rolloves in SOS, whereas you previously couldn't.

I think I've spent 5 minutes shooting at gem in SOS before draining. lol

As I recall (with hundreds of games on the old software I should know this), if you went into SOS and finished a mode in SOS on the old software, didn't the mode unlight after you drained? I didn't recall it staying lit, where now it does. I could be wrong.

#19 10 years ago

Congrats! When I first read the thread title, I thought, "That was one massively long game!"

--Luke

#20 10 years ago

Just hit portal today on my first game and noticed something. In sos when flynn's was lit, I shot the scoop and it gave me credit for the shots I needed. Has anyone else noticed this? I was going for gem for 5 minutes just like ballsofsteel, and i hit the scoop and it just gave me what I needed. Same thing later in the same sos when i needed one more shot for the light cycle (also gem) and it gave me credit for that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/portal-multiball-1-year-5-months-to-eat-there and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.