Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

img003_(resized).jpg
    512pmD8Wj2L_(resized).jpg
    Doxie_0138_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider papazit1963.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 8 years ago

That Epson V39 that flashinstinct mentioned looks like a great option. Assuming the bezel isn't too tall and cause blur. I just ordered one to try out. $60 on Amazon right now. flashinstinct--do you have any problems with blur due to the bezel not allowing direct glass contact?

Mike

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You would need to adjust the focal point of the optics.

Or belt sand down the bezel. You laugh. As cheap as this scanner is I might try that. We'll see how bad it is first.

Mike

1 week later
    #50 8 years ago

Started working with the Epson V39 this weekend. Nice little scanner. There is a slight blur due to the glass not being in direct contact with the playfield, but for what I'm doing it is fine. I attempted to disassemble the scanner, which is pretty easy: 5 screws and some double-sided tape holding the side trim pieces to the glass. Once the trim pieces are removed the glass is free to fall out. My plan was to use some electrical tape to secure the glass to the remaining frame and try a scan so that the glass is in direct contact with the PF. Couple of problems doing this. First off the scanner would throw an error every time it was powered on without the trim piece located at the scan head "home" position, which when installed raised the glass about 2mm. On this particular trim piece (the one that covers the buttons) there is a white piece of plastic that somehow is needed for the scanner to clear it's initial power on test. I tricked it by temporarily holding this piece in place while powering on and this cleared the error and I was able to scan with the glass directly on the PF-- However the scans after this point looked like crap. Multiple streaks and a bit over exposed. I cold not figure out why this was happening. No binding parts or light sneaking in from the sides. So not sure why the crappy scans. Bottom line is this scanner does not work well if you attempt to get the glass directly on the PF. After putting it all back together it scanned fine, but with a slight blur. I just wanted these scans as reference as I'm recreating some of the text from scratch, so not a big deal in this case. Picture is from the scanner right out of the box--glass about 2mm above the PF. Just thought I'd let everyone know my experiences with this scanner.

Mike

img003_(resized).jpgimg003_(resized).jpg

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gryphun:

Papazit,
    What dpi did you initially scan with?
    I used my V39 this week in order to scan my backbox art and everything came out really nice and clear without removing the bezel.
    I scanned at 1200 dpi (used professional mode - 1 scan, all options off).

I think I used 800 on the sample scan. I'll double-check my settings, try it again and report back. Thanks

Mike

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider papazit1963.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/portable-wand-scanners?tu=papazit1963 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.