Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fx901_zu (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I love my Hakko FX-888 soldering iron - it works great and literally changed my life. But it's a little cumbersome for packing on the road, or moving from game to game: cords get tangled or aren't always long enough. First world problem, I know.

Was browsing for cordless options (even almost fell for the Harbor Freight butane iron) then discovered Hakko makes a cordless iron, the FX-901!

fx901_zu (resized).jpgfx901_zu (resized).jpg

It's powered by 4 AA batteries and features removable / replaceable tips. Ni-MH rechargeable batteries give a flatter performance curve, but standard Alkalines can last up to 70 minutes before tapering off.

I ordered mine from Amazon and have used it a few times: it's perfect. The tip isn't perhaps as fine and precise as a good bench iron, but it's thin enough to reach and probe through the rat's nest under a playfield. I've resoldered contacts on flipper switches (upper ones, in the back of a pf) and lamp sockets way up front (high off the ground when the pf is raised). The tool has good balance and is comfortable to use.

Fits well in a standard toolbox so it's great for a field kit! Won't replace a bench iron and I'm not sure I would use it for extensive board work... but for anything in the cabinet on the road, it's so much better than fiddling with cords and bulkier iron power supplies. For about $30-35, it's a no brainer IMO.

No, I don't work for Hakko... I'm just genuinely excited by good tools and wish I'd known of this one sooner, it's been out for a while.

#2 4 years ago

Damn! $35 bones, that's awesome. I'm picking one up. Thanks.

#3 4 years ago

bump for morning / next day crowd, ICYMI

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up. Just ordered one for a hair over $30 at Amazon.

#5 4 years ago

I've had this for a while and honest haven't been impressed. It seems like it chews through batteries and it will heat up quick, but anything more than what seems like a small drop of solder and it can't keep the heat up to melt it very well. Alot of the time the iron will end up sticking to whatever I'm working on because it doesn't stay hot enough. Even with fresh batteries it seems to struggle. I'd be curious if you have the same problem.

#6 4 years ago

Before buying mine I read several reviews. Consensus is batteries make a difference, and NiMH is preferred. Hakko seems to acknowledge as much.

That said, when mine I arrived I attempted to recondition some old NiMH batts I'd forgotten for years... and my first impression was similar to yours. It got warm and then... quit. But I realized those old batteries died (no surprise, oops). So I slapped some fresh duracells in there and boom: I unsoldered and resoldered an upper flipper EOS switch without issue.

Folks say alkalines have different power curves and this iron is sensitive to overall quality, so I re-recharged those old NiMH ones to compare again on my next use. This time I was adding an addtional GI lamp socket to a pf, using the existing ground trace with a nearby big solder blob to the new socket's own mounting tab - note this would act like a giant heat sink. The iron had no issues melting that blob and adding fresh solder to the connection, even with that sink-tab. Connecting the new wire from the socket prong to an upstream power feed was easy.

So I'm pleased with it so far but admittedly I haven't had it long. I don't expect it to power through beefy ground planes and dozens of grungy coil tabs at a shot... but I'll surely give it a try as those opportunities arise. If it doesn't, then that's what the big iron is for. But it already spared some aggravation in the two cases I used it, not having to move the bench iron around and dig for the service outlet... so if it encourages me to "do spot repairs now" instead of "putting off til later", so much the better.

Plus there have been times I "should" have soldered things in the car instead of using crimps and pigtails, and this will definitely be handy there too!

#7 4 years ago

I use a lot of Milwaukee m12 and m18 items.. They came out with a m12 soldering iron and I'm pretty damn happy with it. I need to use it more before I give it a a+++ rating though

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

I use a lot of Milwaukee m12 and m18 items.. They came out with a m12 soldering iron and I'm pretty damn happy with it. I need to use it more before I give it a a+++ rating though

I like the look of that! Unfortunately even without batteries that is like twice the price. . . I do like that it takes batteries I already have though. . .

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Before buying mine I read several reviews. Consensus is batteries make a difference, and NiMH is preferred. Hakko seems to acknowledge as much.
    That said, when mine I arrived I attempted to recondition some old NiMH batts I'd forgotten for years... and my first impression was similar to yours. It got warm and then... quit. But I realized those old batteries died (no surprise, oops). So I slapped some fresh duracells in there and boom: I unsoldered and resoldered an upper flipper EOS switch without issue.
    Folks say alkalines have different power curves and this iron is sensitive to overall quality, so I re-recharged those old NiMH ones to compare again on my next use. This time I was adding an addtional GI lamp socket to a pf, using the existing ground trace with a nearby big solder blob to the new socket's own mounting tab - note this would act like a giant heat sink. The iron had no issues melting that blob and adding fresh solder to the connection, even with that sink-tab. Connecting the new wire from the socket prong to an upstream power feed was easy.
    So I'm pleased with it so far but admittedly I haven't had it long. I don't expect it to power through beefy ground planes and dozens of grungy coil tabs at a shot... but I'll surely give it a try as those opportunities arise. If it doesn't, then that's what the big iron is for. But it already spared some aggravation in the two cases I used it, not having to move the bench iron around and dig for the service outlet... so if it encourages me to "do spot repairs now" instead of "putting off til later", so much the better.
    Plus there have been times I "should" have soldered things in the car instead of using crimps and pigtails, and this will definitely be handy there too!

Interesting...I'll give those a shot and see if it changes because it's so convenient but almost useless with my current batteries. Thanks for the heads up!

#10 4 years ago

Is this a good choice for a beginner? I suddenly have a lot of time on my hands and want to learn how to solder. Nothing major I just want to be able to solder things like star post lights, mods, spot lights etc.

#11 4 years ago

I really wanted a better portable solder iron for my remote tool bag. One of my programmers mentioned an 11$ one on amazon that used 4 AA's and worked...just bought it but haven't tried it yet! They found new tips off another site as well. I can post more but I know this is a Hakko thread. So awesome to solder without a cord!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

I have one of those soldering iron kits. Yes, I said kits (Milwaukee # 2488-21). It comes with a hard plastic carrying case with space to store two batteries. Also comes with a charger which will work with most of the M12 batteries including the 6.0 AH high capacity ones. Includes two tips: a small one for pc board work and a big chisel tip one for coil lugs. The battery that comes with it is only a 1.5 AH which gives about ten minutes of run time. I got the 6.0 AH battery (Milwaukee # 48-11-2460) which gives considerably more run time.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from shepP:

Is this a good choice for a beginner? I suddenly have a lot of time on my hands and want to learn how to solder. Nothing major I just want to be able to solder things like star post lights, mods, spot lights etc.

I wouldn't. This is really for somebody that needs portability over performance.

If you are doing any soldering on your machines at home just get a Hakko fx888d or Weller we1010 and you will never have to worry about upgrading.

#14 4 years ago

Personally I'd rather get a TS-80 and use a USB battery pack. Much longer battery life.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Personally I'd rather get a TS-80 and use a USB battery pack. Much longer battery life.

I'd seen those in the past but didn't want to fiddle with a tethered charging / power cord. Worst case, AAs are widely available if they go bad, and cheap enough to keep a spare set in the box. I don't have many USB packs to guarantee/dedicate one to the box. But I do understand the basic appeal.

Quoted from shepP:

As boscokid said, maybe not... but you could do worse. Agree if you're a beginner, a nice Hakko or other temperature-controlled station is better. Once you've gotten used to how solder behaves in various situations, you'll have the acquired feel better understand and use a non-controlled iron. I think Aoyue is still pretty highly regarded for good stations at a budget price.

#16 4 years ago

Got my Hakko FX-901 yesterday and soldered a few 18 gauge wires to try it out. First impressions are good. It heats up in about the 40 seconds they said it'd take to heat up and it had no problems soldering three 18 gauge wires together in about 45-60 seconds. This will be a great addition to the toolbox.

I'm going to do a little soldering project this weekend to get a feel for it working on a PCB. I'm thinking as long as you don't have a monster pad acting like a heatsink this little iron will do fine.

Thanks Op for the heads-up.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

I did a lot of research on those and the battery packs but then I went and bought the iron referenced here anyway.... why? I don't use it for pinball, I use it at work for VERY occasional soldering of 4 wires connected to a harness, and nothing else. It does its job for this (although I think it heats up too much, the solder will ball up really easily on the tip) and work supplies the batteries.

If I were getting it for the house/pinball work, I'd get the USB-C irons. But I don't have any issues taking my weller to the machine I'm working on and plugging it into the service jack or an extension cord. Most of the time what I'm soldering is a coil or a wire, and the 100 watt or 150 watt weller is what I'm using there anyway since it's not a temperature sensitive thing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/portable-hakko-soldering-iron?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.