Homepin Opto Rollovers (resized).jpg
Homepin hall effect spinner (resized).jpg
24033 (resized).jpg
7A2C680C-0270-4D5A-B242-80414F259417 (resized).png
5160E0EE-C29A-4BB6-9D0B-7185A7575050 (resized).jpeg
9F2AF1B9-37CA-4C12-A5EE-7DDB1DC05E72 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

From FB.

5160E0EE-C29A-4BB6-9D0B-7185A7575050 (resized).jpeg5160E0EE-C29A-4BB6-9D0B-7185A7575050 (resized).jpeg9F2AF1B9-37CA-4C12-A5EE-7DDB1DC05E72 (resized).jpeg9F2AF1B9-37CA-4C12-A5EE-7DDB1DC05E72 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

A Thunderbird follow on!!!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

A Thunderbird follow on!!!

Thunderbird retheme!

#4 3 years ago

So they are making parts now? I don't think they could get a Porsche the car company license so it must be a test or homebrew pin? It looks like a pin cabinet but is it? Possible redemption game?

#5 3 years ago

Pin cabinet with a cover on it .You can tell by the bottom how it swirls a bit .

#6 3 years ago

There’s a tool case for a hydraulic hole digger .A bit odd .

#7 3 years ago

I’m guessing a router? This is a fun mystery perfect for a Monday morning wake the brain up .

#8 3 years ago

Interesting bracket on the right side of the control panel .

#9 3 years ago

Also looks like a amplifier on that control panel would you agree ?

#10 3 years ago

New Bally Tranformer assemblies...

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:Also looks like a amplifier on that control panel would you agree ?

Nice.Any idea what this would be ?

7A2C680C-0270-4D5A-B242-80414F259417 (resized).png7A2C680C-0270-4D5A-B242-80414F259417 (resized).png
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

So they are making parts now? I don't think they could get a Porsche the car company license so it must be a test or homebrew pin? It looks like a pin cabinet but is it? Possible redemption game?

Homepin were making parts long before Thunderbirds was released.

#13 3 years ago

I think it’s smart, you have a huge loyal amount of car enthusiasts for certain models / makes. Dodge Viper, Corvette Sterns Mustang and now this. I’d imagine a Fast & Furious Pin will eventually follow... doesn’t F&F9 come out in May.... hmmm

#14 3 years ago

Class of 1812 was originally supposed to be a licensed Porche pin, but the theme was changed at the last second.

#15 3 years ago

Was Checkpoint a Porsche licensed pinball?

#16 3 years ago

That's a great question. Porsche has always closely guarded their Brand and IP. Generally they do not license anything except for branded merchandise. They even copywrited their Porsche font.

Checkpoint only has drawn images of the cars on the machine. There are no crests, names, logos, model numbers, or anything that says Porsche on the machine or in the literature. So there is something weird about the 'licensing' here.

Around 89-90 was a low point in Porsche's existence. They were transitioning manufacturing, design, leadership and dealing with the remnants of a world wide recession and currency fluctuations that killed their sales. At the time they were selling about 30% of the volumes throughout the 80s.

Maybe Data East lawyers thought they could sneak this by? Or there was a weak link in the marketing team that allowed the license, I'd love to know the real story.

I am a Porsche collector and really wanted this machine when I got into the hobby. Its too bad the pin was a one shot wonder, as it didn't stay very long.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Was Checkpoint a Porsche licensed pinball?

Not answering your question, but form memory Mike used a Getaway as a “donor” game for parts/development etc whilst setting up the factory in China. Maybe Porsche will be a Getaway knock off.

Mike has always stated he was going to go after small volume contract work. Possible this game is a proto for said contract work? Might even be an official game just for Porsche dealerships. Who knows.

BTW, for those that didn’t see it, the original post was promoting the early Solid State Bally replacement power units. His parts business is well known for well engineered and high quality parts. Mostly boards/electronics.

#18 3 years ago

After the Thunderbirds debacle, I would surely hope that Porsche makes a better choice of manufacturer for their first licensed pin..

#19 3 years ago

This is probably a really small run for a corporte event, give away contest thing, or for future autoshow, showroom props for an exclusive dealer or dealer skiff...

2 weeks later
#20 3 years ago

As revealed in the Pinball Magazine Newsletter:
While there hasn't been much news to report on Homepin since they moved to Taiwan almost one year ago, Mike and his team basically had to start up all over again. While doing that, Porsche, who is very big in China, ordered four of these pinball games that will be taken to various car shows in China to promote the new Porsche Taycan model. The games basically function as a marketing tool to harvest email addresses via a WeChat logon. There are no plans for a commercial production of the game.
24033 (resized).jpg24033 (resized).jpg
As the above (intentionally obscured) picture shows, the layout of the game is very simple compared to modern games and reminds quite a bit of the layout of Firepower. The playfield features two droptarget banks that spell TAY and CAN, three standup targets on the right that represent Solar Power, Hydro Power and Wind Power, three kickout holes that can lock balls for multiball, three popbumpers, two flippers and a spinner.
Homepin Opto Rollovers (resized).jpgHomepin Opto Rollovers (resized).jpg
The playfield has no rollover micro switches, but uses optical switches instead, as can be seen in the above close-up of the left out- and inlane. These opto switches use a special circuitry to prevent them from responding to other light sources, such as daylight.
Homepin hall effect spinner (resized).jpgHomepin hall effect spinner (resized).jpg
The backbox, not shown, contains a blue dotmatrix display as well as a 27-inch LCD. The DMD is mainly used for scores, names and simple animations, while the LCD is used to display commercials/advertising.

#21 3 years ago

The opto switches are interesting. Vacation America did something similar I believe. The light shines and the reflection in the ball illuminates the receiver.

Looks like he's using SMDs on a PCB to light the slingshot

#22 3 years ago

This should become very collectible !

#23 3 years ago

Oh very interesting. I also didn’t know home pin moved to Taiwan. Is there any interview or info on that move?

#24 3 years ago

I dunno the layout is too simple. No ramps? In a car racing pin?

#25 3 years ago

Pinball still super new to china. Low expectations. Id expect a lot of flashy lights, rolling commercials on the bg and gameplay a very distant 3rd in priority and focus point

#26 3 years ago

A lot of time and money spent on a simple pin just made for car shows. I wonder if they would make a fully featured version if it was well received by the public?

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I dunno the layout is too simple. No ramps? In a car racing pin?

Apparently, the layout plays very fast.
Pinball is practically unknown in China. People have no idea what it is and what's fun about it. I think, the best way to get them introduced to pinball is by starting of with simple layouts and rules, and build from there. Basically start with games with a simple objective that is fun to shoot but difficult to master. Forget about wizard modes and all that. Keep it simple. Several EM game layouts come to mind that could do great as solid-state games, with a great soundtrack and voice calls, especially when themed for the Asian market.

#28 3 years ago

Looks a lot like Firepower

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Apparently, the layout plays very fast.
Pinball is practically unknown in China. People have no idea what it is and what's fun about it. I think, the best way to get them introduced to pinball is by starting of with simple layouts and rules, and build from there. Basically start with games with a simple objective that is fun to shoot but difficult to master. Forget about wizard modes and all that. Keep it simple. Several EM game layouts come to mind that could do great as solid-state games, with a great soundtrack and voice calls, especially when themed for the Asian market.

Yes, I see that now....we are not the primary audience. He's definitely a rebel of a man....but in the future he should pay for some design work.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yes, I see that now....we are not the primary audience. He's definitely a rebel of a man....but in the future he should pay for some design work.

I think he'll just steal this stuff, like he has mostly everything else!!! Haha

#31 3 years ago

This looks already so much better than Thunderbirds, and wait for the big first, a metal lockdown bar !

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

I think he'll just steal this stuff, like he has mostly everything else!!! Haha

Not defending or attacking anyone, but the pinball industry used to have a tendency of not caring, or getting upset, with layouts being 'borrowed' by companies in territories they didn't sell themselves. E.g.: all the Brazilian pinball games that heavily leaned on Williams, Bally and even some European designs. At some point, Bally even copied a Gottlieb playfield layout almost 1 : 1. Nobody complained about that back in the day and the Brazilian knock-off games are even rather collectible for pinball enthusiasts these days.

I think, the best chance any startup pinball company in China has is looking at what worked in pinball in the past and try to adept that to the Asian market. If that results in a new market and more pinball in general, I don't see the problem. With a bit of luck existing pinball companies may benefit from the Asian market (finally) opening up (which still remains to be seen).

#33 3 years ago

If pinball ever does “take off in China”, heaven help us all.
With a population of 1.4 billion people and over 100 cities with populations over a million it would change things quite a bit if they ever got a pinball scene there.

#34 3 years ago

yah pinball would have quite a journey as most ppl are getting their gaming thru phones/mobile. even home consoles are not very strong. it is mobile first with a penetration rate that is extremely dense as most gamers are playing mmos that are going on for years. They like the ongoing adventure. pinball would need to be very different as life moves at a very different pace in asia.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Not defending or attacking anyone, but the pinball industry used to have a tendency of not caring, or getting upset, with layouts being 'borrowed' by companies in territories they didn't sell themselves. E.g.: all the Brazilian pinball games that heavily leaned on Williams, Bally and even some European designs. At some point, Bally even copied a Gottlieb playfield layout almost 1 : 1. Nobody complained about that back in the day and the Brazilian knock-off games are even rather collectible for pinball enthusiasts these days.
I think, the best chance any startup pinball company in China has is looking at what worked in pinball in the past and try to adept that to the Asian market. If that results in a new market and more pinball in general, I don't see the problem. With a bit of luck existing pinball companies may benefit from the Asian market (finally) opening up (which still remains to be seen).

Ha, yeah, Data East (Stern) made their entire business by ripping off Williams....they even got sued a few times.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

yah pinball would have quite a journey as most ppl are getting their gaming thru phones/mobile. even home consoles are not very strong. it is mobile first with a penetration rate that is extremely dense as most gamers are playing mmos that are going on for years. They like the ongoing adventure. pinball would need to be very different as life moves at a very different pace in asia.

If pinball ever gets some traction in Asia, I suppose it will be in arcades, and other places where people play coin-op machines, not so much by people buying a game for their home. Pinball might actually be a great escape from people's phones. Or they may come up with cool ways to integrate phones and pinball that we haven't thought of yet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/porsche-pinball-by-homepin?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.