(Topic ID: 207734)

Pork Bellies Investment Thread- No Haters Please!

By o-din

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ribs-2-pack-from-costco (resized).jpg
    MagicalAnimal.jpg
    pancetta (resized).jpg
    forpetessake3 (resized).jpg
    Eat Bacon.jpg
    Cops and Bacon.jpg
    mad-hatter-1[1] (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    BkZOjVWCEAACYXV (resized).jpg
    bacon_roses-for_that-special_someone (resized).jpg
    Super-Snail-Racing-Car-108266 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    bacon (resized).PNG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 6 years ago

I like this stuff.....

bacon (resized).PNGbacon (resized).PNG

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Yes Farmers Applewood is the best Bacon. I have a little tip...when I first bought it at Costco I cooked it in a frying pan. Because of the sugars it burns really easy and taste charred. I decided to try to bake it in the oven on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. I cook it at 350 for 30-35 minutes, I am telling you it makes Bacon perfection! I then put it in Tupperware in fridge and microwave for a few seconds to reheat, it stays fresh for about a week. Now if I am buying the cheap Bar S, which I also like, then it is better pan fried. Bacon 101

Thanks for the tip. My wife has always fried it in the pan and she really has to watch it. I have been baking it at 425, but using aluminum foil. I'l try the parchment paper and lower temp. I recently started wrapping my briskets in parchment for smoking. That made a huge difference in the finished product.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Topher5000:

Wouldn't the parchment block the smoke from getting at the meat? I got a smoker a year ago & am still learning.

You don't wrap in butcher/parchment paper until it hits ~160. Every brisket is different. If it starts stalling as it gets close, I'll go ahead and wrap it. The parchment keeps it from drying out while still preserving the bark and allowing it to get through the stall. I'm no expert, but I've turned a $50 brisket into beef jerky/shoe leather once or twice. I've tried a few different tricks. Simple seasonings (salt and pepper or Montreal Steak) and wrapping in paper have given me the best, no fuss results. Also, I always buy whole briskets. The flat is the driest, least flavorful, and most expensive part of the brisket, but it does give you the pretty slices.

1 week later
    6 months later
    #68 5 years ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

The price chart of hogs looks like a triple black downhill ski run .The tarriffs will put many pork producers in the poorhouse

I'm ready for beef to start sliding. Steaks are f'n expensive.

#70 5 years ago

I thought it was demand from Asia keeping prices high. I'm reading reports that beef imports from Australia to China have really picked up. Hopefully, that translates to cheaper prices for US consumers.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pork-bellies-investment-thread-no-haters-please?tu=mcluvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.