20161205_200224 (resized).jpg
20161207_175302 (resized).jpg
20161207_175325 (resized).jpg
20161207_173654 (resized).jpg
B@5 bridge and capacitor C30 (resized).jpg
br5_res (resized).jpg
20161205_080236 (resized).jpg
20161205_075708 (resized).jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

dead end? , you think I should order a new board with all these different issues I am having? I just think it would suck if I did drop over 300 bucks and it was still screwy....argh. Damn you Bluto!

#52 7 years ago

Can you go into the bottom of the cabinet behind the transformer and unplug/plug the two wire harnesses? As you unplug them, check to see if there are any burnt pins.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from mattcrispell:

The traces are good.

Are you set on the ohms (horseshoe) and set the meter at 200 ohms. Ideally, they are about 1 ohms on each of the two traces between the C30 and BR5.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Are you set on the ohms (horseshoe) and set the meter at 200 ohms. Ideally, they are about 1 ohms on each of the two traces between the C30 and BR5.

I will take the board out again tonight and take a pic of me testing those two traces . When I soldered the wires , that seems to be what caused the fuse to blow. I dont have any of that thicker gauge pinball machine wire, I used something thinner, I will take a photo of that too. Attached are photos from the transformer, things look ok to me. I checked two other plugs too that run from the transformer , they looked alright also

20161219_081852 (resized).jpg20161219_081852 (resized).jpg

20161219_081758 (resized).jpg20161219_081758 (resized).jpg

20161217_152450 (resized).jpg20161217_152450 (resized).jpg

#55 7 years ago

did you add those wires? in the last picture there are added wires and they are not like what pinballmaniac showed you. You hooked to both the bottom legs of the BR when you needed to hook to the caddy corner legs. Look at his two pictures on the first page and you will see your wires are not soldered the same way.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

did you add those wires? in the last picture there are added wires and they are not like what pinballmaniac showed you. You hooked to both the bottom legs of the BR when you needed to hook to the caddy corner legs. Look at his two pictures on the first page and you will see your wires are not soldered the same way.

well, that would explain why the fuse blew on me (probably) , I will put the wires onto the correct points and return with the results...I will try to be more careful.

#57 7 years ago

I will take the board out again tonight and take a pic of me testing those two traces . When I soldered the wires , that seems to be what caused the fuse to blow.

Now that make sense. You soldered the one wire on the right to the wrong spot.
BR5 (resized).jpgBR5 (resized).jpg

#58 7 years ago

Those connectors at the transformer look to be in great shape. Problem bound to be on the driver board.

#59 7 years ago

Those connectors at the transformer look to be in great shape. Problem bound to be on the driver board.

I havent had a chance to solder the wires to the right spots just yet, I will report back as soon as I do. Hopefully I didnt fry a bunch of other components with that error.

2 months later
#60 7 years ago

Hey, sorry for the delay , had to put this aside due to other stuff in life. Its fixed! Thank you, thank you, thank you! This coil isnt firing though. Is there an easy test I can do to see if the coil is bad?

20170225_110129 (resized).jpg20170225_110129 (resized).jpg

#61 7 years ago

You need to go into the solenoid test and see if it fires the VUK coil. In the switch test, run your finger through the optos above the coil to be sure it registers.

#62 7 years ago

You need to go into the solenoid test and see if it fires the VUK coil. In the switch test, run your finger through the optos above the coil to be sure it registers.

cool, solenoid test, it doesnt fire, switch test shows that the opto is working, do you recommend a good site to order a ae 24 900 coil from?

20170225_110129 (resized).jpg20170225_110129 (resized).jpg

#63 7 years ago

cool, solenoid test, it doesnt fire, switch test shows that the opto is working, do you recommend a good site to order a ae 24 900 coil from?

The coil looks brand new actually. Are those 3 wires soldered well to the coil? One of the thicker wires looks to be not connected well.

If connected, I think you should check to see if you have a blown fuse on F101 to F105 on the power driver board.

#64 7 years ago

The coil looks brand new actually. Are those 3 wires soldered well to the coil? One of the thicker wires looks to be not connected well.
If connected, I think you should check to see if you have a blown fuse on F101 to F105 on the power driver board.

Hey, I was the one that replaced the coil about a year ago. However, I just tested the old coil and the new coil with the DMM and got readings of 6 ohms on the coil I replaced ( outside of the machine ) and the coil that is in there now also read 6 ohms. The fuses look fine, I did continuity checks on all of them and they don't look blown either.

I was reading about coils and diodes and noticed that I don't see a diode for that right popper anywhere, is it located somewhere else maybe? Could a blown transistor be causing this issue? I did replace several of the tip-102 and the other ones on the main board. Maybe I missed one?

I will await to hear your suggestion before I monkey around with it anymore. Thanks again.

#65 7 years ago

Hey, I was the one that replaced the coil about a year ago. However, I just tested the old coil and the new coil with the DMM and got readings of 6 ohms on the coil I replaced ( outside of the machine ) and the coil that is in there now also read 6 ohms. The fuses look fine, I did continuity checks on all of them and they don't look blown either.

Then there is no reason to suspect a bad coil if it measures good.

Could a blown transistor be causing this issue? I did replace several of the tip-102 and the other ones on the main board. Maybe I missed one?

Possible, but it is easy to damage the power driver board removing these transistors. Which ones did you replace?

#66 7 years ago

I was reading about coils and diodes and noticed that I don't see a diode for that right popper anywhere, is it located somewhere else maybe?

If none of the other coils do not have a diode, then this would not need it either. Flipper coils will always need them so look at all the others.

#67 7 years ago

I did replace several of the tip-102 and the other ones on the main board. Maybe I missed one?

If you replaced multiple transistors for multiple coils firing, keep in mind there are other parts that control when the transistors fire, so it is very unlikely all the transistors you replaced were bad. In this case, you had the 12Vunregulated voltage low, this was the cause of your problem this time.

#68 7 years ago

According to the manual, Q80, a TIP-36C drives that left popper.
You need to test it with the diode test on your multimeter.

from Pinwiki...

TIP-36C
1.Place the red lead of your DMM on the metal tab of the transistor
2.Probe each of the flanking (outer) legs with the black lead
3..4 to .6 volts is a normal reading. Readings outside of this range indicate a failed transistor
4.Probe the center leg with the black lead to the metal tab with the red lead.
5.A "short" should be seen on test 4. If not, then the transistor has failed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-ste-ball-trough-ejecting-balls-solenoids-firing-randomly-3/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.