Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hello everyone! Question;

I've have a Popeye pin, and have recently been having an issue with the bluto ball lock about 90% of the time..

Once the first lock is activated, and a ball is hit in, it locks the first ball no problem. Next, if a subsequent ball is hit in the bluto scoop WITHOUT lock being lit, it will do as its supposed to, which is whistle and kick a ball back out (not locking it as the second ball locked), but most of the time (90% or more) it will ALSO whistle a second time and pre-maturely kick out the FIRST locked ball right after, thus putting a second ball in play, and no more first ball locked. One of the two balls CAN be allowed to drain, not affecting game play.

Now if the first ball is locked, and then lock is lit for the 2nd, and a 2nd ball is hit in the scoop, it locks it no problem without kicking it out, and then once multiball is lit and the 3rd ball is hit in the scoop, it starts multiball with no problems.

It only does this on the SECOND ball hit into the scoop after ball 1 is locked without lock being lit, it will not do this on the 3rd ball hit into the scoop after 2 balls are locked.

Now... all the switches on the center scoop are micro switches, and all seem fine when physically tested, and (there are 4) the issue is that they almost impossible to check without removing the scoop assembly. Any ideas? I think that it might be a sticking switch that aligns with the SECOND ball position in the "holding area" of the scoop above the coil gate.

#2 10 years ago

Have you tested the switches using balls and rolling a second one in there and see if a switch that should be closed opens ?

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

sounds like your second ball switch is sticking closed.

#4 10 years ago

It's pretty hard to check ball movement across this scoop while it is installed. I was guessing it's the second micro switch sticking/malfunctioning based on the symptoms. The second micro switch can only be adjusted with the scoop off of the playfield, which makes adjustment difficult for this one. I think I will start by pulling the scoop, and run the pinballs through it on the bench listening and watching for actuation. when I physically test the second switch while the playfield is up, it seems fine, however it seems to bind ever so slightly, but still work.

I will re-post after I do this!

#5 10 years ago

Oh yeah, switch tests check out, no errors.

8 months later
#6 9 years ago

I know it's been a while, but I finally got around to fixing the center ball lock issues.

As it turned out, three things were causing this.

First, there was a "sticky" micro switch in the "2nd ball" lock position. Once depressed by the second ball when lock ball 2 is NOT lit, it would not return fast enough to show "no ball" and instead of ejecting one ball (actually ejects the 1st locked ball and second ball slides to first position) it would eject both in sequence.

Second, on some switches including the sticky broken one, the 2 machine screws @ nut plate were installed backwards. This seemed to put too much pressure on the switch body causing them to bind slightly. This may also have to due with age

Third, It seemed that the angle of the pin is crucial to how balls act in the lock assembly. I had the game at 5.5 degree playfield. After completely re-building the main flippers to new, I corrected the PF angle to 6.5 degrees and all is well.

So, PF angle correction plus 4 brand new micro switches in the center ball lock assembly have completely corrected this problem.

Thanks for the help guys!

Dan

3 months later
#7 9 years ago

I am having this same issue with my Popeye. I have downloaded an inclinometer on my phone and I'm going to try setting the PF to 6.5* as you mentioned and then go from there.

Can you tell me the location on the trough of the 2nd ball lock position switch?

Thanks!

#8 9 years ago

Yeah, the ball lock mechanism/weldment on Popeye can be a pain in the butt. I've had my Popeye for a little over a year and have finally dialed it in. There are a few things that can create the problems with the erratic behavior, all of them usually attributed to 1-3 things or a combo of the 3.

First is playfield angle. It needs to be at 6.5-6.75 degrees. Second is cleanliness of the ball lock mechanism/weldment. crud, dirt, etc. can hold up the balls not allowing them to set over the microswitches correctly. Third, which is the most important are the microswitches in the weldment. There are 4 microswitches, 3 are for ball locks and one is an eject detect switch in front of the coil popper. (see drawing) Each switch is held to the weldment with 2 screws and a tinnerman nut. Make sure all these screws are present. One missing can cause a switch to rotate and act screwy. On my game, I had issues with the ball lock 2 switch as well. It was missing a screw, causing it to not stay in the fine-tuned position. Also, the "button" under the wire lever on the microswitch was sticky and wouldn't always "click" causing erratic behavior. I chose to replace all 4 switches/diodes with brand new ones. I also replaced the missing screw. The tuning of these switches is tricky, the front screw holding each switch on (towards the wire) is the adjustment screw. loosening this will allow the body of the switch to rotate to change the switch sensitivity when the ball rolls over the wire.

Make sure you have 3 balls handy to test it while it's out of the machine. The weldment removes easily, there are a few hex head screws holding it on to the underside of the PF and wiring is connected with a plug. Also make sure the welds are in tact and not cracked. If they are cracked, have a local welding shop weld it for you. Mine had one cracked weld and I had to do this. If you replace the switches, each one has a diode as well.

Weldment microswitches: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5647-12693-25
Microswitch diodes: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1N4004

I hope this helps.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

#9 9 years ago

I am enjoying playing Popeye. For the money its fun!

#10 9 years ago

seatmandan,

thanks for all of the information and diagram! I am going to try and work on this over the holiday weekend. I will report back what I come up with.

Thanks again!

#12 9 years ago

Not sure which switch makes that sound... I can play it tonight and try to figure it out. I read your original post and it definitely sounds like a switch of some sort is prematurely contacting on the lower PF.

I would have to assume in Multi-ball, lower PF switches do NOT shut down the upper flippers because there are balls on both PFs at times, and it's probably a rule in the code that exempts this from happening..

I will try to find the switch making that sound

-Dan

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Not sure which switch makes that sound... I can play it tonight and try to figure it out. I read your original post and it definitely sounds like a switch of some sort is prematurely contacting on the lower PF.
I would have to assume in Multi-ball, lower PF switches do NOT shut down the upper flippers because there are balls on both PFs at times, and it's probably a rule in the code that exempts this from happening..
I will try to find the switch making that sound
-Dan

Right, all flippers are active in multiball so everything works fine there. I wish there was a setting to have all flippers active all the time.

10 months later
#14 8 years ago

I'll add my Bluto lock issue to the mix. When I lock a ball, it says ball 1 locked, but then whistles and kicks it out. All switches look good in the test mode. I can lock ball 1 over and over. I just repaired the coil that blocks the balls from getting to the shooter coil, so I know that is working properly. Prior to that it wouldn't allot balls to get kicked out at all. When I got it home from the warehouse there were 6 balls in there. This is the last real issue that I'm tracking down before this thing is pretty much solid.

#15 8 years ago

I reciently upgraded to rom version 5 in my popeye, and built into the test modes in the rom is a ball lock test mode. It will tell you the state of a all the switches, and let you cycle through one ball or multi ball lock cycles.

3 weeks later
#16 8 years ago

Ugh, back to 'locking' ball 1 only and then spitting it right out. My adjusting of ball 1 lock switch isn't getting anywhere either. It was working fine for a few days, then, turn it on and the solenoid that fires to let the lowest ball drop into the kicker section just went on and off over and over again when the machine was turned on. Any tips?

2 years later
#17 6 years ago

Curious if you have a Rottendog CPU board in the game or not?

1 year later
#18 4 years ago

Had similar problem switch 2 with Popeye Saves The Earth. Turned out to be switch 2 had a pressure rating of 100 grams which the ball was unable to compress to get into Switch 1 position. Replaced with a 60 gram switch (spec) and fixed the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 40.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-saves-the-earth-bluto-ball-lock-issue-kicking-locked-balls-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.