(Topic ID: 231274)

Popeye - Right Flipper gets weaker as you play.

By the4horse

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by McPin54
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the4horse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi.
When I start playing my Bally Popeye, all four flippers work perfectly but as I play a few games I notice the lower right flipper gets weaker and weaker until it fails completely after 15 - 20 minutes play. The left flipper and the upper flippers work perfectly and both lower flippers have had a rebuild so I'm not sure what's going on. Any help would be appreciated...thanks.
Eddie

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Have you swapped the flipper opto boards to see if the problem follows to the other side?
I had a similar issue with TZ, and the opto board would work in test but over the course of a game would get flaky and cause a weak flipper. Replaced flipper opto board and flipper has been perfect since.

No, I haven't tried changing the opto boards...I'll try that and let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help.

#5 5 years ago

I swapped the boards over and the right flipper's still dead. I don't know if this matters but the ohms are a little lower on the right coil. Orange to Blue wire - left 131.8 & right 129.2. Orange to Grey wire - left 127.9 & right 125.5

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Is the coil hot when weak or has failed?

I'm not sure. I tried having a game tonight but the flippers totally dead now.

#8 5 years ago

The right flipper 3A SB Fuse blew. I checked the switch gap and it seems the same as the left flipper but the fuse keeps going out.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Which switch? Is the coil hot after playing a bit?

I meant the EOS. I wish I'd checked the coil but I haven't been able to play a game yet.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Your bridge rectifier is most likely bad. Had the same weak issue on my IJ.

Thanks.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Have you swapped the flipper opto boards to see if the problem follows to the other side?
I had a similar issue with TZ, and the opto board would work in test but over the course of a game would get flaky and cause a weak flipper. Replaced flipper opto board and flipper has been perfect since.

You were right...thanks . When I initially swapped the opto boards over, the flipper was still dead so I thought that wasn't the problem not realising the fuse was blown. When I replaced the fuse and adjusted the EOS I found the symptoms had switched over to the left flipper.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Is the coil hot when weak or has failed?

Yes, the coil is way hotter when the flipper starts to fail.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the4horse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-right-flipper-gets-weaker-as-you-play?tu=the4horse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.