• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tomtest
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi All,

I sold a Popeye to a new collector a few months ago. Worked fine and has just started playing up. I live 700km away, so a bit hard to slip over and help repair. Over the phone we have determined:

The right flipper whenever hit, seems to collect the right ramp shot (awards 50M and from memory says 'Wimpy'). I noted that the uppper right flipper EOS f5 and ramp competion switch 35 are on the same row, so not sure if this is a clue.

It sounds to me like a stuck switch, however in switch levels there is nothing amiss (all switches appear normal from what the new owner told me over the phone) and in switch edges when the right flipper is pressed, its only the flipper and EOS that are triggered (according to her). I also got her to bump the side of the cabinet and playfield in switch edges, and nothing triggered with the vibration. Got her to reseat switch plugs on MPU as well as under playfield opto board.

Any other tests or simple diagnostics or repairs anyone can suggest that i can run through on the phone with her?

Thanks

Rob

#2 3 years ago

Tests - Switch Edge - bang on playfield. If right ramp shot registers on the screen, it's too sensitive.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

^^^ what he said, she probably 'tapped' the cabinet when she needs to BASH IT HARD!

You will probably have to coach her to belt it harder than she is comfortable to bring out the fault while in sw test mode.

#4 3 years ago

Lift the flipper manually if you think the eos switch and fault are linked.
Personally think it would be a sensitive switch though.
Is the right ramp switch an opto?

Update
I just had a look at the manual. It is an opto. Maybe a broken wire making contact on the opto?

#5 3 years ago

I've had opto's that just needed the wires resoldered even thou they appeared ok.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-right-flipper-activates-ramp-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.