622E9621-9FED-47BC-90D2-7DFB0609064F (resized).png
IMG_2767 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5319 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4047 (resized).jpeg
20230917_145016 (resized).jpg
20230917_154012 (resized).jpg
20230917_111937 (resized).jpg
20230917_111157 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stebel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 8 years ago

Couple of things I had done to my Popeye before I sold it. 2 posts added to protect the sides of the lockjaw. This was an NOS lockjaw replacement as the last one had the entrance beaten up badly by ball hits. pop1.jpgpop1.jpg Also colored the flippers with a sharpie. pop2.jpgpop2.jpg

5 years later
#563 3 years ago

Hi everyone. Has anyone installed a new translucent animal ramp? I see pinballife has them but with no pictures installed. Was thinking of going with the yellow one.

Have always disliked how the left animal ramp obscures the in/out lanes.

#565 3 years ago

That red ramp looks fantastic. I will be getting of the two for sure! Thank you for the pictures.

1 week later
#567 3 years ago

The yellow ramp looks perfect. I have one on order.

4 months later
#586 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

Tech questions for you Popeye owners. Intermittently when I shoot the Brutus lock (jaw) I will have to nudge the game front to back to get the ball to recognize that its there before it kicks out. All switches work and are new. I also hear that this was a common issue? Is there a fix?
I would like to take this game to the ClePin show but I dont want any issues. Other wise the game looks and plays great (I also may sell it there as well).
Any help would be great.

Is it when you are locking ball 1 or 2 or is it happening when the lock is not lit?

If not lit, then it will be the lower most switch closest to the solenoid that needs adjusted.

#588 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

Its when the ball lock is not lit (from what I remember). I will look at the assembly again, it works great in test mode and when I have the assembly in my hand. I can hear the switch click and stay on when at rest at the coil. I was thinking that it may bounce of the coil and the software notices that the ball is not there for that brief moment until the switch is reset again by the nudge. I have adjusted it but I will look at it again.

Are you testing the switch with a ball or with a finger? If you have the mech in hand, use a ball to make sure the switch is made. Also make sure the coil plunger is square to the ball and not holding ball to one side of the trough. (I think the ball rests on the plunger)

5 months later
#634 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I’m in. LED’s and colorDMD incoming.
I know the game gets a bad rap but I was super impressed by the flip up upper playfield and the bluto nose flasher latch mechanism.
I was wondering how much disassembly was going to be required to clean/swap lights and was super happy to see that bit of engineering.
So, what are the production variations. I’ve see. Flat blutos and the machine posted above has a different animal ramp (orange transparent?)
[quoted image]

The animal ramp is a repro from pinballlife. There is a few colors they offer. One of the bad raps Popeye has is blind shots. The original blue ramp blinded your outlane on left making nudging difficult. I have a yellow animal ramp in mine and I can not be happier.

The only other production differences is the 3d Bluto face. You’ll notice when you do your led bulbs swap there is a few light holes ommitted from being drilled and a few added. The one that I wonder about, is the flasher sized hole under left guide by the flipper.

#636 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Do they do a translucent blue ramp?
Not only does that ramp block the lanes but it also blocks light

I think it’s red, yellow and smoke? No blue.

Check pinballlife website.

6 months later
#660 1 year ago

Ask Mantis if he would make new scoops.

1 month later
#690 1 year ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Sailed through finding Swee'Pea four consecutive shots dead center last night in front of witnesses. It was pretty epic.

Did you save Olive that game too??

6 months later
#728 1 year ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Hi all my Popeye doing this ,when two balls are locked in the scoop and its waiting for the next ball too come out from the though it doesn't what it does it try's too find the ball and still doesn't could this be the opto on the ball though ?any ideas

Did you do all the usual things? Test all the switches and optos in the test menu associated with scoop and trough?

#739 1 year ago

Anyone has any ideas why ?

Go into test mode. Check each insert and see if you have a light matrix issue. That is the first thing to check. P

4 weeks later
#775 1 year ago

I just played a few more games and in my last post it is when u launch a ball into play but not all the time just some times one or two time pre game it's happening when u push the launch button for ball play sometimes the launch button will keep flashing while your playing that ball and it won't stop flashing until u launch your next ball in too play ?? I did what u said look for what was flashing when this happens and there was only two lites that was fashing but thoses two lights was on the middle board and they don't have diodes in them but I did check all the other lites under there and seems all the diodes installed right ,I thinking it's has too be something too do with when I am Launching a ball in too play its seems too be when it happens not with other lites flashing at the same time ,this is a very odd one too find out why this is happening lol any more help would be great thanks

It is important to know what the 2 lights were that are flashing in the middle.

1 month later
#805 11 months ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

I think pinball life has a few different colored ones.

The only have the smoked animal ramp remaining. They had yellow and red before.

#809 11 months ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

I always wondered why they did not make a clear one. I like the blue one, it came with. Or maybe just used to seeing blue.

The yellow one that pinball life once had was perfect. You could see the ball through the ramp by the outlane.

Past Popeyes I have made a hybrid animal ramp that had a wireform exit. I need to be able to see the outlanes for nudging.

4 months later
#862 7 months ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

For anyone looking for a solution to missing cleats on the front piece of plastic, here was my solution...
I ordered these nylon cleats from West Marine. I picked them up in person but I imagine they'd ship. A marine store closer to you might have this same model:
[quoted image]
https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine-nylon-cleats-P002_064_005_502.html
I wanted the 3" cleats because they more closely matched the size of the previous ones, but the holes in the cleats did not line up to the mounting holes. So I went with 4", the holes line up perfectly with the mounting holes. The front lip of the playfield glass does clip it slightly when pushed in, but after you get past that it's fine.
Next I went into Home Depot and bought this chrome spray paint:
[quoted image]
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-11-oz-Bright-Chrome-Metallic-Spray-Paint-7718830/100151050
I applied about 3 coats of the spray paint to the cleats. In retrospect I probably should have sanded them first because they have molding marks and surface roughness that can show through the paint. But I'm still happy with the way they turned out, it's better than looking at the empty spot. Here's some photos of them installed in the game...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

They look fantastic. Thank you for sharing the solution.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stebel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-owners-group?tu=stebel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.