622E9621-9FED-47BC-90D2-7DFB0609064F (resized).png
IMG_2767 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5319 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4047 (resized).jpeg
20230917_145016 (resized).jpg
20230917_154012 (resized).jpg
20230917_111937 (resized).jpg
20230917_111157 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seatmandan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 8 years ago

I agree!!!! Not quite sure which plastic you're talking about. Is it the one at an angle with a small "L" bracket holding it up?

IMG_6214.jpgIMG_6214.jpg

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

Hoping someone can help with this. The lockdown bar on my Popeye moves back and forth a lot even with the brass bolts tightened down.

I believe the heads of the brass bolts push "up" against the underside of the lockdown bar. I think to tighten the lockdown bar, you need to back out the brass screws counterclockwise

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

What version ROM is everyone running? I have the euro version. There is a prototype and the euro version listed on ipdb. Are there other versions? US version? I have lx-4.
Ipdb lists export gamess as L-5. And then they just say proto. Just curious what everyone has as I have a burner and want the game to stop defaulting to German...hahah

I just updated mine from L-2 (yeah, L-2) to LX-5. It has cleared up all remnants of Bluto center ball lock issues. I fixed most of the issues a few years ago by replacing all the micro switches in the weldment, but still every once in a while a ball would eject when hit in there too fast (I'm using superbands) It has also added extra speech when in the sweet pea maze in the upper PF. Very cool.

9 months later
#163 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Who would put a ColorDMD in Popeye?

I did!

DSC05277_(resized).JPGDSC05277_(resized).JPG

DSC05275_(resized).JPGDSC05275_(resized).JPG

3 months later
#181 7 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

That center ball lock is a bitch to adjust when someone previously mangled all the switch blades.

Yeah, I had to replace all of mine when I had my Popeye. The tricky part is to get the micro switches to stay actuated when balls are locked and are lying over the switch blades. The blades will also get hung up on the slots through the metal scoop.. Another thing to watch out for is the over-tightening of the micro switches causing them to bind, and also verify the switches are installed properly to the weldment with the proper rectangular washer. Another factor is to make sure the table at the proper angle (6.5deg) and testing the trough out of the machine with rolling balls into/through it. The "whistle" and spit out/eject when it's not supposed to when balls are hit in.. god, that's annoying!

This game really needs the bluto lock dialed in, otherwise its a PITA to get to wizard mode

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

Very happy with how it is playing and it will clearly be a family favorite.

Yeah, it was my 1st pin, I learned a LOT on it and really miss it. Had to go in order to make room!

DSC05274 (resized).JPGDSC05274 (resized).JPG

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

So I pulled the ColorDMD

that's a little ironic, since you colorized it!!!!

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

The ColorDMD looks pretty cool. Not sure I want to toss $350 at this particular title

that's the beauty of ColorDMD being totally portable!!

IMG_8625 (resized).JPGIMG_8625 (resized).JPG

#189 7 years ago

beautiful job colorizing it BTW.... for me the hardest part of that game is completing the Cartel modes to get to wizard mode. THe Wizard mode on this game (especially with color) is sweet! I think because it's so hard to get to, not many people have been there.

1 week later
#194 7 years ago
Quoted from Dansur:

Just found as well that cabinet decals are finally available

This is really great, since Popeye's red is always faded to pink or gone entirely. Thanks for the share!

8 months later
#247 6 years ago
Quoted from hawk370:

Hi, I am wondering if someone can tell me where the light in blutos nose ties in 0n the 3d bluto. my machine came with the flat face and I purchased the 3d bluto. But I need to add the light to his nose that alerts you when the ball is coming out of his "mouth"
any help pictures etc... would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

My Popeye had the flat face and the socket in there, with no bulb in it bent around facing rearward. not sure if it started it's life with the 3D bluto face, and was switched to the flat one later on. it was hidden pretty well, but there for sure. a wedge style black socket riveted to a flat of metal

3 months later
#259 6 years ago

Most people don't realize that Popeye is a fairly complex pin from a cost/components standpoint. It's right up there with the other widebodies of it's day. When I owned mine, the center ball lock scoop switches drove me nuts. Takes quit a bit of tuning to get this right.

1 year later
#346 5 years ago
Quoted from BigJoeCincy:

One last question. Does your upper play field seem to lean to the left even though the lower play field is level....? Mine has a bank to the left but everything seems to be together like it should.

Check to see if your LEFT side rail is cracked anywhere. The rails Midway used have finger-joints in them that may come apart. If this happens, the rear corners will sag, thus creating a lean at the backboard to whichever side has the crack(s). replacing them will correct any mis-alignment with the upper PF since its attached to the backboard. This happened to my Indiana Jones. see images.
broken left rail (resized).JPGbroken left rail (resized).JPGsiderail (resized).JPGsiderail (resized).JPG

7 months later
#480 4 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

I'm going to print one out tonight at higher resolution to get rid of the layer lines.

Layer lines are a function of the quality/type of the rapid prototyping machine, or 3D printer, not the resolution of the CAD model (STL file, IGES file, ASCII file) there's no such thing as "CAD resolution"

Might want to think about maybe outsourcing the print job to a place that has a professional machine, such as a stratasys. Even those produce lines, but at a much finer scale.

I'm a career CAD Design Engineer hope this helps

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 37.50
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seatmandan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-owners-group?tu=seatmandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.