New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 105283)

Popeye ... owners club

By skygualker

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 540 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by Soulrider911
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 184 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

36DBA585-D262-4F4E-84EE-AE5378EF17EA (resized).jpeg
IMG_7472 (resized).JPG
IMG_7471 (resized).JPG
IMG_7470 (resized).JPG
IMG_3847 (resized).JPG
D04450EF-393A-4DD0-B668-FBEE66AA7042 (resized).jpeg
8A837527-0A84-4028-A40F-514957D7DD28 (resized).jpeg
75600E1E-829C-47D3-919E-1B63F67E76D8 (resized).jpeg
7875B6C4-585B-4A46-ADDA-0A99EE0DA221 (resized).jpeg
65288BE3-F2B4-4FB4-BABC-E1F68FF7194E (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191114_151433 (resized).jpg
2AF3F190-F113-4257-B02D-FE8A560624F5 (resized).jpeg
CD12824B-786F-4610-BE07-5CE67ECD81F6 (resized).jpeg
EE5D8B52-F10E-4E3F-B542-F578EDAD76C8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0591 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg

There are 540 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.
#401 1 year ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Yes, I repaired th original MPU. Original works perfectly

So the MPU from Rottendog had an issue? Rottendog have any solution for this?

I too tried to repair my acid eaten original MPU board but I just got tired of it know ing it might screw up again so went Rottendog.

UPDATE: Tried each hole on the wheel tonight. Each labeled hole recorded on DMD properly with Rottendog MPU board in the game.
Maybe my ROM Version is newer or something different between our two Popeyes?? I dunno.

#402 1 year ago

I’ve just joined the club!
My example is rough but the playfield is pretty good. What parts are available/unobtainable? I need a new left ramp, boat stern, plastic set, scoop, decals etc

#403 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

So the MPU from Rottendog had an issue? Rottendog have any solution for this?
I too tried to repair my acid eaten original MPU board but I just got tired of it know ing it might screw up again so went Rottendog.
UPDATE: Tried each hole on the wheel tonight. Each labeled hole recorded on DMD properly with Rottendog MPU board in the game.
Maybe my ROM Version is newer or something different between our two Popeyes?? I dunno.

I had a bad MPU. Rottendog is great, they replaced it but I have just been using my old one.
Glad yours is working!

#404 1 year ago

Been tearing down my Popeye and my center scoop is awful! Does anyone have a used scoop in better condition than this?

8770106B-ED9A-4C3C-96D3-7146B098E432 (resized).jpeg966EF2BF-66DC-4E2A-AF02-47264511894B (resized).jpegC98B168E-4119-4F2E-8D1B-E39052F6F1C8 (resized).jpeg
#405 1 year ago

Wow, Can you use a grinder and smooth some of those welds down and shine it up?
I'll look at Allentown show. Sometimes the parts guys have stuff like that.

#406 1 year ago

I got one of those clear animal ramps from Pinball life - has anyone ever replaced one of these ramps? I know at least one person in the thread did. Do I have to unsolder every connector on each switch and light in order to swap these ramps? Because yuk.

#407 1 year ago

Anyone else experience a problem with the center scoop not registering locks and spitting the ball out right away. It seems like if I fire the ball into the scoop at higher speeds it spits it right out instead of registering the lock. Wondering if this is common and if there is a fix.

TIA

#408 1 year ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

Anyone else experience a problem with the center scoop not registering locks and spitting the ball out right away. It seems like if I fire the ball into the scoop at higher speeds it spits it right out instead of registering the lock. Wondering if this is common and if there is a fix.
TIA

It might be one of the sub-miniature switches (5647-12693-25) although if one of them wasn't registering it might not spit the ball out at all. I had to replace a couple of mine and it's a cheap and easy job. Usually when you manually activate them they should make a click noise...mine didn't. Good Luck!

#409 1 year ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I got one of those clear animal ramps from Pinball life - has anyone ever replaced one of these ramps? I know at least one person in the thread did. Do I have to unsolder every connector on each switch and light in order to swap these ramps? Because yuk.

Answer: yes, yes you do have to unsolder and resolder them. And it's not super fun but it's also not super terrible.

I still haven't decided on what color bulbs for the animals. I probably should have considered a blue ramp instead of red.
IMG_20190417_010620 (resized).jpgIMG_20190417_010631 (resized).jpg

#410 1 year ago

Lools good. The Red looks good with red wheel and the other reds on the game. I wouldn't beat yourself up on the color.
Color dmd on this game is a must. One of best games for color DMD

Put cool white LEDs under sweet pea stars. Makes a noticible difference
Great job!

#411 1 year ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Lools good. The Red looks good with red wheel and the other reds on the game. I wouldn't beat yourself up on the color.

Put cool white LEDs under sweet pea stars...makes a noticible difference
Great job!

#412 1 year ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Answr: yes, yes you do have to unsolder and resolder them. And it's not super fun but it's also not super terrible.
I still haven't decided on what color bulbs for the animals. I probably should have considered a blue ramp instead of red.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting ...I was initially thinking Red, but Blue is still in the running. How close does the Red match the Skill shot wheel red ?

#413 1 year ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Put cool white LEDs under sweet pea stars. Makes a noticible difference
Great job!

I did a $500 order from Comet and I forgot to order natural white 44's. I was kicking myself. But yes, thanks! It does look good! I will probably next get a spotlight for the wheel to make it just a bit more viewable.

Quoted from Ive:

Thanks for posting ...I was initially thinking Red, but Blue is still in the running. How close does the Red match the Skill shot wheel red ?

It matches it quite well, except the wheel is opaque of course. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, there was an earlier post with yellow that looked really sharp!

My next decision is gonna be the animal lights. I might keep them blue (little too bright), might make them red again (get lost in the ramp color), or I might put bendies on them and point them at the animal decals as little spotlights.

Anyone on the fence about ColorDMD should no be on the fence. It is magnificent. I went with LED and it has a factory look and fits perfectly. taxman you did an exceptional job.

#414 1 year ago

Does anyone know how to remove the top part of the wheel? I’d like to clean the track on the playfield under it

#415 1 year ago

Just start unscrewing from the top

#416 1 year ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Just start unscrewing from the top

Yes but when I get to the part with the circles it doesn't come out?

#417 1 year ago

I shopped out about a month ago and don't remember anything crazy going on. Maybe some screws on the bottom??
There may be a C clip but its pretty easy.

Good luck. Take a pic of the area where you are at and having a trouble.

#418 1 year ago

The piece of metal with the circles is the part I can’t get off. Someone here must know how

1EC90CFD-B949-40D9-8FDD-D08DF1D2FBB3 (resized).jpeg
#419 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Been tearing down my Popeye and my center scoop is awful! Does anyone have a used scoop in better condition than this?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That whole piece is unobtainable. I looked everywhere. I thought mine and as bad but after seeing yours I fell better lol.

#420 1 year ago

Hello there!

I'm about to finish my Popeye, just done all the electronics, and now I'm having problems with the Bluto ball lock :/

Looking at your pictures, I see my pin has a different ramp, or is missing a plastic cover.

I'm using alexmogil picture BTW, I hope you don't mind

All of you have a blue plastic ramp at the upper left corner, like in the first picture from Alexmogil.

But in my Popeye, the ramp is made of polished metal, am I missing a plastic cover? or have I a different version?

Popeye-blue-ramp (resized).jpgpopeye-missing (resized).jpg
#421 1 year ago

I think I read earlier in the thread that some earlier models of the game had a metal feeder ramp into the animal ramp. That’s all!

#422 1 year ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I think I read earlier in the thread that some earlier models of the game had a metal feeder ramp into the animal ramp. That’s all!

So they went to a better looking blue plastic ramp, and to an uglier 2D Bluto face hahahahahaha

#423 1 year ago
Quoted from waffen_spain:

So they went to a better looking blue plastic ramp, and to an uglier 2D Bluto face hahahahahaha

Anyone have the white plastic ramp installed?

#424 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

The piece of metal with the circles is the part I can’t get off. Someone here must know how[quoted image]

I'm pretty sure mine just lifted out. Anyone else confirm?

#425 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

The piece of metal with the circles is the part I can’t get off. Someone here must know how[quoted image]

Must be an issue here. I just did an entire teardown and mine came without any problems.

#426 1 year ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

Must be an issue here. I just did an entire teardown and mine came without any problems.

So it's supposed to just lift out?

#427 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

So it's supposed to just lift out?

I may be mis-remembering but from what I remember is just lifts out. There may have been a C clamp holding it but thay was it.

#428 1 year ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

I may be mis-remembering but from what I remember is just lifts out. There may have been a C clamp holding it but thay was it.

I agree

#429 1 year ago
Quoted from waffen_spain:

Hello there!
I'm about to finish my Popeye, just done all the electronics, and now I'm having problems with the Bluto ball lock :/
Looking at your pictures, I see my pin has a different ramp, or is missing a plastic cover.
I'm using alexmogil picture BTW, I hope you don't mind
All of you have a blue plastic ramp at the upper left corner, like in the first picture from Alexmogil.
But in my Popeye, the ramp is made of polished metal, am I missing a plastic cover? or have I a different version?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yep - some machines have the metal ramp.

The promo flyer shows it as metal. I'm guessing the early production machines had metal and they then switched to blue plastic. See the blue plastic much more often.

#430 1 year ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

I just took mine out to clean it and it lifted straight up.

Also just got done with clean/rebulb/rerubber/re-plastic post job, added a spotlight to the prize wheel and I really, really like it!

IMG_20190420_185450 (resized).jpgIMG_20190420_185501 (resized).jpgIMG_20190420_185455 (resized).jpgIMG_20190420_185505 (resized).jpg
#431 1 year ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Also just got done with clean/rebulb/rerubber/re-plastic post job, added a spotlight to the prize wheel and I really, really like it![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great idea adding the spotlight...the game really needs it!

#432 1 year ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Also just got done with clean/rebulb/rerubber/re-plastic post job, added a spotlight to the prize wheel and I really, really like it![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking really sharp.Nice job. That red ramp is growing on me

Spotlight is a good idea, may steal that. The flasher does help illuminate it but the writing especially on the blue segments of the wheel is tough to read in low light.

Is the spot on all the time ? Or only when the wheel spins ?

#433 1 year ago

Did the spotlight years ago. Post #127. Huge difference.

#434 1 year ago
Quoted from Ive:

Looking really sharp.Nice job. That red ramp is growing on me
Spotlight is a good idea, may steal that. The flasher does help illuminate it but the writing especially on the blue segments of the wheel is tough to read in low light.
Is the spot on all the time ? Or only when the wheel spins ?

It’s on all the time, but it’s not distracting. I had it north facing south - THAT was distracting. Putting it where I did is perfect.

#435 1 year ago

So, funny story. When I got completely done with the playfield cleaning and all that I figured reward myself with a game. Doop de do it was going ok, I liked how it looked and then there was this nice solid metal clunk sound. I thought... Maybe I should stop playing. Power off, look in the cabinet and...

IMG_20190421_134101 (resized).jpg

The Bluto weldment. Unobtanium. Fortunately my brother in law is a welding inspector and he had it done in a day. We never truly figured out what the material is - we assumed it was carbon steel. He was afraid they'd blown right through it so he was very conservative.
IMG_20190422_205634 (resized).jpgIMG_20190422_205643 (resized).jpg

The tops welds on the left and right side both broke, and of course all of the welds on the right broke. I think it turned out great.

#436 1 year ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

So, funny story. When I got completely done with the playfield cleaning and all that I figured reward myself with a game. Doop de do it was going ok, I liked how it looked and then there was this nice solid metal clunk sound. I thought... Maybe I should stop playing. Power off, look in the cabinet and...
[quoted image]
The Bluto weldment. Unobtanium. Fortunately my brother in law is a welding inspector and he had it done in a day. We never truly figured out what the material is - we assumed it was carbon steel. He was afraid they'd blown right through it so he was very conservative.
[quoted image][quoted image]
The tops welds on the left and right side both broke, and of course all of the welds on the right broke. I think it turned out great.

Pinball machines ..... so reliable !

That part is hammered in every Popeye. We could really do with someone finding a stash of these

#437 1 year ago

I spoke with Kerry from Mantis and he said he's not sure he can make the Bluto scoop but also said I was the 4th person in 10 years to ask for it.
So how many people here would buy one if Mantis could make it? If I can take a decent number to them we'd have a chance

#438 1 year ago

He does such good work, I would buy one to have as a spare. People I know speak very highly of his products.

#439 1 year ago

I would grab one too

#440 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I spoke with Kerry from Mantis and he said he's not sure he can make the Bluto scoop but also said I was the 4th person in 10 years to ask for it.
So how many people here would buy one if Mantis could make it? If I can take a decent number to them we'd have a chance

Yep. I would to replace my repaired one.

#441 1 year ago

I'm getting my Popeye this week. I might purchase Bluto scoop also.

#442 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I buy one right away. Depending on cost of course.

#443 1 year ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I buy one right away. Depending on cost of course.

It's a pretty big piece. I'm guessing it would be $100+ .... looking at similar smaller pieces

1 week later
#444 1 year ago

I would buy one. Mine has a really sloppy weld. Works fine, but for how long?

Has anyone found the decorative tie down pieces for the boat apron? The most common missing part on Popeye.

#445 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

I would buy one. Mine has a really sloppy weld. Works fine, but for how long?
Has anyone found the decorative tie down pieces for the boat apron? The most common missing part on Popeye.

You might find a reasonable substitute at a model parts supplier

For example...

https://www.alwayshobbies.com/model-boats/model-boat-fittings/aero-naut-plastic-cleats

#446 1 year ago

Curious... With the L-2 and now the L-5 ROM, when you fail to get a jackpot in multi ball and the multi ball restart timer begins, what's supposed to happen when you shoot the ball into Bluto's lockjaw / weldemont / unobtanium piece?

All switches register and work flawlessly in switch test modes and during the entire multi ball lock sequence.

Yet upon hitting the shot, the multi ball restart timer ends the countdown, and then it just resumes normal ball in play without restarting multi ball. When the ball finally drains and ends, the next ball launched and shot into the lock jaw either begins multi ball, or it may even begin upon ball launch without hitting the lock jaw, I forget that detail but it's one of the two.

#447 1 year ago

Update on the centre scoop mechanism. Kerry at Mantis won’t consider making one unless there are 50 people willing to buy it. We’ve only had about 10 interested parties in this thread so this option looks unlikely

#448 1 year ago
Quoted from Ive:

You might find a reasonable substitute at a model parts supplier
For example...
https://www.alwayshobbies.com/model-boats/model-boat-fittings/aero-naut-plastic-cleats

Huh... what a good idea!

#449 1 year ago

Glad to join the club after receiving my Popeye a couple of weeks ago! It’s in pretty good shape, a little fade on the right side that’s only noticeable in the reds (someone touched it up with a sharpie but it doesn’t bother me). There were some small opto issues and some work was needed for a burned connector but nothing major. I did add the Lexan above the Swee Pea ramp and it really cut down on air balls. There’s still a couple of burned bulbs but I’m still deciding if I will switch to LEDs.

This is my second pin after my TSPP. I guess I have a cartoon theme going! But Popeye is really a fun game and I find myself playing it more than the TSPP. Still a newbie but enjoying these pins a lot!

1BC9CB54-41C5-406B-BC87-24C15109472A (resized).jpeg7EE31D79-3BFE-4210-9B62-BEA2E814B664 (resized).jpegB60B3740-52AD-49E2-9FEC-AA5B1B397649 (resized).jpeg
#450 1 year ago

I have some questions about locking the balls in Bluto. What mode must the Jab lights be in order for a ball to be locked (solid, blinking or off)? If the the Lockjaw light is blinking will the ball always be locked? Sometimes I expect the ball to be locked but it gets spit out even if Bluto says “Make yourself at home”.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 37.50
$ 11.00
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Machine - For Sale
Beaverton, OR
There are 540 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside