Topic Stats

• 431 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by the4horse
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 148 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190420_185505 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_185455 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_185501 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_185450 (resized).jpg
popeye-missing (resized).jpg
Popeye-blue-ramp (resized).jpg
1EC90CFD-B949-40D9-8FDD-D08DF1D2FBB3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190417_010631 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190417_010620 (resized).jpg
8770106B-ED9A-4C3C-96D3-7146B098E432 (resized).jpeg
966EF2BF-66DC-4E2A-AF02-47264511894B (resized).jpeg
C98B168E-4119-4F2E-8D1B-E39052F6F1C8 (resized).jpeg
20190303_113344 (resized).jpg
20190303_112218 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190407_230153 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190407_230235 (resized).jpg

There are 431 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 10 days ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Yes, I repaired th original MPU. Original works perfectly

So the MPU from Rottendog had an issue? Rottendog have any solution for this?

I too tried to repair my acid eaten original MPU board but I just got tired of it know ing it might screw up again so went Rottendog.

UPDATE: Tried each hole on the wheel tonight. Each labeled hole recorded on DMD properly with Rottendog MPU board in the game.
Maybe my ROM Version is newer or something different between our two Popeyes?? I dunno.

#402 9 days ago

I’ve just joined the club!
My example is rough but the playfield is pretty good. What parts are available/unobtainable? I need a new left ramp, boat stern, plastic set, scoop, decals etc

#403 9 days ago
Quoted from CUJO:

So the MPU from Rottendog had an issue? Rottendog have any solution for this?
I too tried to repair my acid eaten original MPU board but I just got tired of it know ing it might screw up again so went Rottendog.
UPDATE: Tried each hole on the wheel tonight. Each labeled hole recorded on DMD properly with Rottendog MPU board in the game.
Maybe my ROM Version is newer or something different between our two Popeyes?? I dunno.

I had a bad MPU. Rottendog is great, they replaced it but I have just been using my old one.
Glad yours is working!

#404 6 days ago

Been tearing down my Popeye and my center scoop is awful! Does anyone have a used scoop in better condition than this?

8770106B-ED9A-4C3C-96D3-7146B098E432 (resized).jpeg966EF2BF-66DC-4E2A-AF02-47264511894B (resized).jpegC98B168E-4119-4F2E-8D1B-E39052F6F1C8 (resized).jpeg
#405 6 days ago

Wow, Can you use a grinder and smooth some of those welds down and shine it up?
I'll look at Allentown show. Sometimes the parts guys have stuff like that.

#406 5 days ago

I got one of those clear animal ramps from Pinball life - has anyone ever replaced one of these ramps? I know at least one person in the thread did. Do I have to unsolder every connector on each switch and light in order to swap these ramps? Because yuk.

#407 4 days ago

Anyone else experience a problem with the center scoop not registering locks and spitting the ball out right away. It seems like if I fire the ball into the scoop at higher speeds it spits it right out instead of registering the lock. Wondering if this is common and if there is a fix.

TIA

#408 4 days ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

Anyone else experience a problem with the center scoop not registering locks and spitting the ball out right away. It seems like if I fire the ball into the scoop at higher speeds it spits it right out instead of registering the lock. Wondering if this is common and if there is a fix.
TIA

It might be one of the sub-miniature switches (5647-12693-25) although if one of them wasn't registering it might not spit the ball out at all. I had to replace a couple of mine and it's a cheap and easy job. Usually when you manually activate them they should make a click noise...mine didn't. Good Luck!

#409 4 days ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I got one of those clear animal ramps from Pinball life - has anyone ever replaced one of these ramps? I know at least one person in the thread did. Do I have to unsolder every connector on each switch and light in order to swap these ramps? Because yuk.

Answer: yes, yes you do have to unsolder and resolder them. And it's not super fun but it's also not super terrible.

I still haven't decided on what color bulbs for the animals. I probably should have considered a blue ramp instead of red.
IMG_20190417_010620 (resized).jpgIMG_20190417_010631 (resized).jpg

#410 4 days ago

Lools good. The Red looks good with red wheel and the other reds on the game. I wouldn't beat yourself up on the color.
Color dmd on this game is a must. One of best games for color DMD

Put cool white LEDs under sweet pea stars. Makes a noticible difference
Great job!

#411 4 days ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Lools good. The Red looks good with red wheel and the other reds on the game. I wouldn't beat yourself up on the color.

Put cool white LEDs under sweet pea stars...makes a noticible difference
Great job!

#412 4 days ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Answr: yes, yes you do have to unsolder and resolder them. And it's not super fun but it's also not super terrible.
I still haven't decided on what color bulbs for the animals. I probably should have considered a blue ramp instead of red.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting ...I was initially thinking Red, but Blue is still in the running. How close does the Red match the Skill shot wheel red ?

#413 3 days ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Put cool white LEDs under sweet pea stars. Makes a noticible difference
Great job!

I did a $500 order from Comet and I forgot to order natural white 44's. I was kicking myself. But yes, thanks! It does look good! I will probably next get a spotlight for the wheel to make it just a bit more viewable.

Quoted from Ive:

Thanks for posting ...I was initially thinking Red, but Blue is still in the running. How close does the Red match the Skill shot wheel red ?

It matches it quite well, except the wheel is opaque of course. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, there was an earlier post with yellow that looked really sharp!

My next decision is gonna be the animal lights. I might keep them blue (little too bright), might make them red again (get lost in the ramp color), or I might put bendies on them and point them at the animal decals as little spotlights.

Anyone on the fence about ColorDMD should no be on the fence. It is magnificent. I went with LED and it has a factory look and fits perfectly. taxman you did an exceptional job.

#414 3 days ago

Does anyone know how to remove the top part of the wheel? I’d like to clean the track on the playfield under it

#415 3 days ago

Just start unscrewing from the top

#416 3 days ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Just start unscrewing from the top

Yes but when I get to the part with the circles it doesn't come out?

#417 2 days ago

I shopped out about a month ago and don't remember anything crazy going on. Maybe some screws on the bottom??
There may be a C clip but its pretty easy.

Good luck. Take a pic of the area where you are at and having a trouble.

#418 2 days ago

The piece of metal with the circles is the part I can’t get off. Someone here must know how

1EC90CFD-B949-40D9-8FDD-D08DF1D2FBB3 (resized).jpeg
#419 2 days ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Been tearing down my Popeye and my center scoop is awful! Does anyone have a used scoop in better condition than this?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That whole piece is unobtainable. I looked everywhere. I thought mine and as bad but after seeing yours I fell better lol.

#420 2 days ago

Hello there!

I'm about to finish my Popeye, just done all the electronics, and now I'm having problems with the Bluto ball lock :/

Looking at your pictures, I see my pin has a different ramp, or is missing a plastic cover.

I'm using alexmogil picture BTW, I hope you don't mind

All of you have a blue plastic ramp at the upper left corner, like in the first picture from Alexmogil.

But in my Popeye, the ramp is made of polished metal, am I missing a plastic cover? or have I a different version?

Popeye-blue-ramp (resized).jpgpopeye-missing (resized).jpg
#421 2 days ago

I think I read earlier in the thread that some earlier models of the game had a metal feeder ramp into the animal ramp. That’s all!

#422 2 days ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I think I read earlier in the thread that some earlier models of the game had a metal feeder ramp into the animal ramp. That’s all!

So they went to a better looking blue plastic ramp, and to an uglier 2D Bluto face hahahahahaha

#423 2 days ago
Quoted from waffen_spain:

So they went to a better looking blue plastic ramp, and to an uglier 2D Bluto face hahahahahaha

Anyone have the white plastic ramp installed?

#424 2 days ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

The piece of metal with the circles is the part I can’t get off. Someone here must know how[quoted image]

I'm pretty sure mine just lifted out. Anyone else confirm?

#425 2 days ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

The piece of metal with the circles is the part I can’t get off. Someone here must know how[quoted image]

Must be an issue here. I just did an entire teardown and mine came without any problems.

#426 1 day ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

Must be an issue here. I just did an entire teardown and mine came without any problems.

So it's supposed to just lift out?

#427 1 day ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

So it's supposed to just lift out?

I may be mis-remembering but from what I remember is just lifts out. There may have been a C clamp holding it but thay was it.

#428 1 day ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

I may be mis-remembering but from what I remember is just lifts out. There may have been a C clamp holding it but thay was it.

I agree

#429 1 day ago
Quoted from waffen_spain:

Hello there!
I'm about to finish my Popeye, just done all the electronics, and now I'm having problems with the Bluto ball lock :/
Looking at your pictures, I see my pin has a different ramp, or is missing a plastic cover.
I'm using alexmogil picture BTW, I hope you don't mind
All of you have a blue plastic ramp at the upper left corner, like in the first picture from Alexmogil.
But in my Popeye, the ramp is made of polished metal, am I missing a plastic cover? or have I a different version?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yep - some machines have the metal ramp.

The promo flyer shows it as metal. I'm guessing the early production machines had metal and they then switched to blue plastic. See the blue plastic much more often.

#430 14 hours ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

I just took mine out to clean it and it lifted straight up.

Also just got done with clean/rebulb/rerubber/re-plastic post job, added a spotlight to the prize wheel and I really, really like it!

IMG_20190420_185450 (resized).jpgIMG_20190420_185501 (resized).jpgIMG_20190420_185455 (resized).jpgIMG_20190420_185505 (resized).jpg
#431 3 hours ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I just took mine out to clean it and it lifted straight up.
Also just got done with clean/rebulb/rerubber/re-plastic post job, added a spotlight to the prize wheel and I really, really like it![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great idea adding the spotlight...the game really needs it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
There are 431 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside