622E9621-9FED-47BC-90D2-7DFB0609064F (resized).png
IMG_2767 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5319 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4047 (resized).jpeg
20230917_145016 (resized).jpg
20230917_154012 (resized).jpg
20230917_111937 (resized).jpg
20230917_111157 (resized).jpg
There are 905 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 19.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I think I’ve got one you can have. I’ll have a look in my parts in the next few days get back to you.
Update
I had to find a part for the swords of fury I’m working on and had a look for the Bluto flasher bracket. Bingo!
Pm me your details and I’ll send it to you.
[quoted image]

Wow, thanks very much. PM sent.

#352 5 years ago

The right lower flipper on my Popeye keeps getting weaker during play and then it blows the 3A fuse. Any Popeye owners have a similar issue with theirs or have any idea what might cause that to happen?

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

The right lower flipper on my Popeye keeps getting weaker during play and then it blows the 3A fuse. Any Popeye owners have a similar issue with theirs or have any idea what might cause that to happen?

I had that exact issue on Popeye and I recall my tech swapped out/fixed the flipper opto board. May want to look at that.

My Indy was starting to get a weak flipper last week and it was because the interrupted wasn't going far enough passed the optos by the slightest amount. Wasn't blowing a fuse though. The button was worn and need to be a hair longer.

#354 5 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

I had that exact issue on Popeye and I recall my tech swapped out/fixed the flipper opto board. May want to look at that.
My Indy was starting to get a weak flipper last week and it was because the interrupted wasn't going far enough passed the optos by the slightest amount. Wasn't blowing a fuse though. The button was worn and need to be a hair longer.

Hey.
Yep, it was the flipper opto. I've gotta find one in Australia now as postage has gone waaay up buying from the U.S.
Marco wanted $50 for basic postage to send a $15 opto unit...that's nuts!

#356 5 years ago

This place and Mr Pinball in Australia are two that I don't deal with anymore.
I would highly recommend RTBB (Ride the Boney beast)...they're the best in Australia for Pinball Parts by far!
The guy who runs it, Nino, is a top bloke.

#357 5 years ago

might be but pinballspareparts has a ton of NOS parts nobody else has, and we supply parts to most of the worlds best Pinball Restorers

but buy from who you like at a higher cost

2 weeks later
#358 5 years ago

Does anyone else sometimes experience the Skill Wheel spinning for prolonged periods of time during gameplay for no real reason ? .... sometimes long after the ball is in play, sometimes during multiball etc ... I haven't tried to replicate the exact circumstances.

Just wondering ...its no biggie and I have always put it down to software issues.

#359 5 years ago

I have not noticed it on my machine.

#360 5 years ago

Holy spinach !!!

Tonight I just found Swee Pea TWICE in one visit to the upper playfield ! The maze reset and I just raced on through again ! For the record you get 50 Million again, it doesn't increase ....which is a shame

It's super satisfying to do it once in a game ......... I have never done it twice, let alone in succession .

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Holy spinach !!!
Tonight I just found Swee Pea TWICE in one visit to the upper playfield ! The maze reset and I just raced on through again ! For the record you get 50 Million again, it doesn't increase ....which is a shame
It's super satisfying to do it once in a game ......... I have never done it twice, let alone in succession .

Does your machine still have the stainless steel line separators. Mine have fallen out which makes it virtually impossible to get through the maze.

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Does your machine still have the stainless steel line separators. Mine have fallen out which makes it virtually impossible to get through the maze.

Yes it does.

I have a spare upper playfield somewhere - pretty sure the metal backplate with the separators is still on it. I can check for you if you were interested.

#363 5 years ago

OK - I'm in full on Popeye mood this week

My Swee Pea ramp has some damage to the decal on the left side .... I have a spare mini playfield with a ramp with better condition decal, so am going to swap it over.

I noticed though today that my decal is different.

Here is the spare one I have... first picture

And below it is mine. Notice how mine ends above the Find Swee Pea text ...and seems cropped at the bottom. You can see the lamp cutouts on the metal below.

At first I thought this was a different decal but now wondering if it has previously been trimmed down, maybe to remove some damaged areas ? I note there in no part number printed on it, and the corners at the bottom are sharp, not rounded ..suggesting perhaps someone took a straight edge and a blade to it ?

Could other owners confirm how their decal is.

Thanks Popeyes !
P1080180 (resized).JPGP1080180 (resized).JPGP1080181 (resized).JPGP1080181 (resized).JPG

#364 5 years ago

Hi.
I've recently replaced the 2d bluto with the 3d version and wondered if anyone knows where I can get the lamp socket to light bluto's nose?
The wiring is there but the socket has been removed.
Thanks.

#365 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

OK - I'm in full on Popeye mood this week
My Swee Pea ramp has some damage to the decal on the left side .... I have a spare mini playfield with a ramp with better condition decal, so am going to swap it over.
I noticed though today that my decal is different.
Here is the spare one I have... first picture
And below it is mine. Notice how mine ends above the Find Swee Pea text ...and seems cropped at the bottom. You can see the lamp cutouts on the metal below.
At first I thought this was a different decal but now wondering if it has previously been trimmed down, maybe to remove some damaged areas ? I note there in no part number printed on it, and the corners at the bottom are sharp, not rounded ..suggesting perhaps someone took a straight edge and a blade to it ?
Could other owners confirm how their decal is.
Thanks Popeyes !
[quoted image][quoted image]

My decal is the same as your first pic. It has some damage in the top right corner which must be pretty typical and that's probably why they trimmed it.
Funny...I never realised mine was missing those stainless steel dividers until I saw your pic : )

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Hi.
I've recently replaced the 2d bluto with the 3d version and wondered if anyone knows where I can get the lamp socket to light bluto's nose?
The wiring is there but the socket has been removed.
Thanks.

The part number is A-17817 Light & Bracket Assembly

But I don't think anyone sells them .

I have a used one if you are interested. Its a little bent so would need tweaked back into shape. I will PM you

P1080214 (resized).JPGP1080214 (resized).JPG
#367 5 years ago

Thanks Ive. much appreciated!

#368 5 years ago

Is anybody offering the center weldment A-18000?

2 weeks later
#369 5 years ago

OK - recently been getting really frustrated with the Lockjaw kickout going SDTM - the so called Ball Saver is ridiculously short, so often won't save the ball. What were they thinking when coding the game ? - the save time is just so tight with no grace period ! Grrrr

My kickout direction wise is quite erratic but recently I feel like I'm losing a ball a game due to it

I can't see any real way to adjust the weldment scoop position.

Has anyone come up with a good fix for this ?? I was wondering if the weldment scoop cant be adjusted ..maybe putting something inside the scoop to direct the ejected ball in some way. I have no idea if that is even possible tbh

#370 5 years ago

Mine always hits the middle of the right flipper. Any cracks in the scoop? I had a similar issue with my Ripley’s scoop but stopped after fixing the broken welds.

#371 5 years ago

Mine had a broken weld that was fixed prior to me getting it. Not the best weld job, but never shoots down the middle.

#372 5 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Mine had a broken weld that was fixed prior to me getting it. Not the best weld job, but never shoots down the middle.

I think I'll pull out the whole weldment and have a good look at it.

Would love to resolve this, got to the point where I dread the ball kicking out from there in case it is SDTM Kind of spoils the fun

#373 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I think I'll pull out the whole weldment and have a good look at it.
Would love to resolve this, got to the point where I dread the ball kicking out from there in case it is SDTM Kind of spoils the fun

I know what you mean. Mine has a mind of its own...sometimes it throws the ball to the right or left flippers but too many times, straight down the guts.
Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

#374 5 years ago

Strange, I have had my machine for about 7 years now. It gets played alot. Always seems to be sent to the middle of right flipper. It sounds to me like someone has bent the exit part of the weldmount in the past. One time I thought mine was bent slightly when I had it out. Then I realized it is supposed to be that way so the ball comes out towards the right.

1550322005688-1104507075 (resized).jpg1550322005688-1104507075 (resized).jpg
#375 5 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

I know what you mean. Mine has a mind of its own...sometimes it throws the ball to the right or left flippers but too many times, straight down the guts.
Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

OK - well I pulled out the whole mech.

2 things were clear - firstly it has been rewelded at some point. Though it looks a decent job and nothing looks obviously wrong or bent. Secondly someone in the past has slightly adjusted the mounting position - I assume to try and resolve SDTM issues.

After giving everything a good clean I reassembled. Tried it in both mounting positions. No change as a result of cleaning and remounting.

So after some thinking of how else to possibly change the ball trajectory, and determined to try and do something with it I decided to try shimming one side of the weldment. So I added a washer or 2 at the screw mounting points on the right side of the weldment. Between playfield underside and the metal, to raise it up slightly.

Well - I can report that it has definitely improved things - the occasional ball is still heading SDTM but far far fewer than previously. Mostly they are hitting the right flipper, sometimes *just* but at least I have a fighting chance that way.

Another thing I had thought about was swapping in a slightly stronger or weaker coil to the kickout to see if that made any difference. I may still explore that option.

1 week later
#376 5 years ago

Question for Popeye.
I just put in a new rottendog MPU and have a couple of game/rules questions.

Pic should help.

On the wheel when I drop it in the 10 mill hole I get spot animal

When I drop it in spot animal, I get spot animal

When I drop in 100k hole i get 100k

When I drop in OLY hole I get 100k....ugh.

Animal stampede Multiball:

When I get this dmd shows stampede but the music doesn't change??? Remember special music/sound......or am I crazy?

Thank you and any insight much appreciated

No credit dots

20190226_180105 (resized).jpg20190226_180105 (resized).jpg

#378 5 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Question for Popeye.
Pic should help.
When I get this dmd shows stampede but the music doesn't change??? Remember special music/sound......or am I crazy?
No credit dots
[quoted image]

I think we all are trying to figure out what is going on but this one I can't explain. Very very strange.
Obvioisly it is related to the new MPU board. Maybe something not quite right with the RAM chip? I wish I could be more helpful .

#379 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I think we all are trying to figure out what is going on but this one I can't explain. Very very strange.
Obvioisly it is related to the new MPU board. Maybe something not quite right with the RAM chip? I wish I could be more helpful .

Thanks for responding.

I'm going to try a different mpu

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Question for Popeye.
Pic should help.
No credit dots
[quoted image]

Stampede def has different music.

Sometimes though Popeye seems a bit weird in what sounds / music are prioritised ....if you have something else running maybe that is affecting it ?

#381 5 years ago

Isn't there optos for the cam gear under the skill shot wheel. I am thinking flaky opto. But hard to tell.

#382 5 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Isn't there optos for the cam gear under the skill shot wheel. I am thinking flaky opto. But hard to tell.

I thought the same thing. I ran it through the wheel test and it checks out fine. I'll try another mpu hopefully when I get home tonight

Anyone else running rottendog MPU?

Thanks for all the replys

#383 5 years ago

Put in an original MPU and the wheel award problem went away.

J Rod at rottendog is a good dude so hopefully he will be able to help me out

Thanks for all the help guys!

3 weeks later
#384 5 years ago

Just joined the club. Got a smoking deal on the game. Was pretty rough. Worked 3 days straight getting it going. Still need to do the underside.

Also have to get rid of the cigarettes smell. Any tips?

20190324_124808 (resized).jpg20190324_124808 (resized).jpg20190325_205358 (resized).jpg20190325_205358 (resized).jpg

#385 5 years ago

Hi,
I'm looking for the two parts shown in the picture.
Does anyone have them?
I need ship to Italy?
Thanks

popeye (resized).jpgpopeye (resized).jpg
#386 5 years ago

LOVE POPEYE!

#387 5 years ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

Just joined the club. Got a smoking deal on the game. Was pretty rough. Worked 3 days straight getting it going. Still need to do the underside.

What this the one on "maaca"?

#388 5 years ago
Quoted from President:

Hi,
Does anyone have them?
I need ship to Italy?
Thanks[quoted image]

The white plastic with the two red lamps is not available. I had to glue mine back together. The best glue is
Acrylic Weldon 16 acrylic Cement.

Screenshot_2019-03-29-23-01-17-893_com.ebay.mobile (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-03-29-23-01-17-893_com.ebay.mobile (resized).png
#389 5 years ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

Welcome aboard sailor !

I took a gamble on Popeye - after reading years of abuse online , I thought it surely can't be that bad - turned out to be one of my fave games. So much so I ended up writing an epic guide to it ....

https://papa.org/wp-content/uploads/Popeye.pdf

#390 5 years ago
Quoted from President:

Hi,
Does anyone have them?
I need ship to Italy?
Thanks[quoted image]

I have this one and will ship to Italy

P1080596 (resized).JPGP1080596 (resized).JPGP1080597 (resized).JPGP1080597 (resized).JPG
#391 5 years ago
Quoted from President:

Hi,
Does anyone have them?
I need ship to Italy?
Thanks[quoted image]

President sent you PM

#392 5 years ago

I hope a complete plastic set gets make one day

#393 5 years ago

I just picked one up at the Ohio Show. It was a game I was pursing for a while - got a pretty ok deal on it, too. What does everyone think of the translucent left ramps you can buy? https://www.pinballlife.com/popeye-left-main-ramp.html

IMG_20190407_230153 (resized).jpgIMG_20190407_230153 (resized).jpgIMG_20190407_230235 (resized).jpgIMG_20190407_230235 (resized).jpg
#394 5 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I just picked one up at the Ohio Show. It was a game I was pursing for a while - got a pretty ok deal on it, too. What does everyone think of the translucent left ramps you can buy? https://www.pinballlife.com/popeye-left-main-ramp.html[quoted image][quoted image]

Saw this game at Ohio Show! I was the guy talking to you as you were packing it up.

Don't think it makes a difference. Unless it's broke
Here is a before and after, after I flamed mine

20190303_112218 (resized).jpg20190303_112218 (resized).jpg20190303_113344 (resized).jpg20190303_113344 (resized).jpg
#395 5 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Saw this game at Ohio Show! I was the guy talking to you as you were packing it up.
Don't think it makes a difference. Unless it's broke
Here is a before and after, after I flamed mine[quoted image][quoted image]

Hey thanks for stopping by to talk, it really made me feel good about my decision to buy it. That game was weird - everyone was playing it, it was almost constantly in use.

Anyway I was talking about the left ramp under the animal ramp, it’s solid blue on games. Pinball Life is selling translucent colored ramps that open up visibility on the left hand side. Take a look: https://www.pinballlife.com/popeye-left-main-ramp.html

I ordered a red one, so let’s see how that goes.

I started cleaning the game last night with some naphtha and the playfield is just ridiculously clean. I’m looking forward to getting this one in the lineup soon.

#396 5 years ago

Nice choice. The Red will look fantastic.
Post some pics when you are done with it!

#397 5 years ago

The translucent ramp will let you see that area at the top of the left lanes way better. I lose it down the left side all the time with the blue ramp in place, blocking my view...that's my excuse anyway!

#398 5 years ago

I would live to see a picture with the translucent one installed.

#399 5 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

I would live to see a picture with the translucent one installed.

Did you ever solve your issue with the Rottendog MPU and the:
"When I drop in OLY hole I get 100k....ugh."

I have a Rottendog board as well and can test mine for you.

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Did you ever solve your issue with the Rottendog MPU and the:
"When I drop in OLY hole I get 100k....ugh."
I have a Rottendog board as well and can test mine for you.

Yes, I repaired th original MPU. Original works perfectly

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
There are 905 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-owners-group/page/8?hl=murphelman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.