622E9621-9FED-47BC-90D2-7DFB0609064F (resized).png
IMG_2767 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5319 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4047 (resized).jpeg
20230917_145016 (resized).jpg
20230917_154012 (resized).jpg
20230917_111937 (resized).jpg
20230917_111157 (resized).jpg
There are 905 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 19.
#301 5 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Titan sells "slim stern" posts that I put on. I went with blue. It made a huge difference.

Could you link to the ones you bought?

#302 5 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Anybody have trouble with left ramp rejects? I believe the ball gets airborne and hits the front edge of the ramp cover under the mini pf. I'll see if there's a way to raise that front edge.

I never used to have this problem until I found the white plastic side piece on that ramp was missing a screw and I fixed it. Now I get a lot of left ramp rejects.

#304 5 years ago

Center weld mount A-18000. The bluto ball trough. I think mine needs replaced, so yes I would want one too. Did any one find a seller for this item? I have seen some cliffys come up for sale too. I think that was on ebay though. I would probably do both at same time.

#305 5 years ago

Hello Folks. I am a owner of a Popeye and I like it

#306 5 years ago

Great game. I have owned mine for many years. Still enjoying it.

2 weeks later
#307 5 years ago

Popeye pinball topper.

20180531_173410 (resized).jpg20180531_173410 (resized).jpg20180531_173420 (resized).jpg20180531_173420 (resized).jpg

#308 5 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

My left ramp has a post that seems too tall. Does this look correct? If not, anybody know what post is supposed to go here?

I believe now that this was done on purpose to eliminate or reduce left ramp rejects. It's worth a shot. Back out the left side screw to lift up the left side of the ramp.

1 month later
#309 5 years ago

Beat the Wizard mode today, collecting the Olive Super Jackpot. Love Popeye.

Hope someone digs up old code that had the Mutant Spinach Multiball, or writes their own, and adds a few more fixes or little extra modes one day.

One thought on how Popeye should be set up:

Tilt bob should be set either some way down, or entirely without a bob; depends how solid your legs and how much the feet slide etc. Reason being that the combination of Lightning Flippers, brutal outlanes (left particularly), possible SDTM drains from the jab targets, and the machine playing really fast significantly contribute to some very short ball times & people not liking it. IMO you have to actively nudge a lot to have success and to enjoy it.

1 week later
#310 5 years ago

I have just done a shop out on my Popeye and I can strongly recommend anyone who own a Popeye to replace the Animal Ramp with one of the transparent ramps from Pinballlife.

I used the transparent blue one, and it fixes a common and reasonable complaint that you cannot see the left outlane area at all with the factory opaque blue animal ramp.

I only wish it was even a bit more transparent than it is.

RussMyers

#311 5 years ago

Popeye's Pipe lamp in the backbox?

This will light during Lamp Test, but never seems to light up during game play, not when Extra Ball is lit, or when I have collected an Extra Ball.

Any ideas?

RussMyers

#312 5 years ago

The "porthole" upper playfield window

POPEYE (Bally) Window
#03-8947

Has anyone ever reproduced this?

Has anyone had good success polishing the scratches out or flame polishing it?

I would love mine to look clear and new again.

RussMyers

#313 5 years ago

Russ,
I looked long and hard for a replacement for that window and had no success. I found a replacement from a parted out game overseas. I used one of those headlight polishing kits attached to a cordless drill along with novus 2 and it helped to polish it up nicely. Maybe give that a try.

Robert

#314 5 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

The "porthole" upper playfield window
POPEYE (Bally) Window
#03-8947
Has anyone ever reproduced this?
Has anyone had good success polishing the scratches out or flame polishing it?
I would love mine to look clear and new again.
RussMyers

I have not seen one of those for sale in the last 5 years. I wish I had bought one. I just polish mine about every 3 years it turns out good, with novus.

#315 5 years ago

I recently picked up a semi populated mini playfield. I think the window is pretty good in it - I'll have to have a closer look when I get a minute.

#316 5 years ago

Can any other Popeye owners confirm the function of the controlled lamps in the backbox:

The Swee-Pea Star
The Jeep's Tail
Popeye's Pipe

Do these ever come on during gameplay and if so, under what conditions?

Thanks,

RussMyers

2 weeks later
#317 5 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Can any other Popeye owners confirm the function of the controlled lamps in the backbox:
The Swee-Pea Star
The Jeep's Tail
Popeye's Pipe
Do these ever come on during gameplay and if so, under what conditions?
Thanks,
RussMyers

These three lights are on all the time on my game.

#318 5 years ago

I just picked this bad boy up today, its in great shape just needs a little cleaning but check out the bottom of the playfield . I'm now in the Popeye club haha. Im up to three games, my collection is growing

It has all LEDs in it. Other than that its pretty stock I think

20180921_102549 (resized).jpg20180921_102549 (resized).jpg20180921_105108 (resized).jpg20180921_105108 (resized).jpg20180921_112102 (resized).jpg20180921_112102 (resized).jpg20180921_112114 (resized).jpg20180921_112114 (resized).jpg20180921_112125 (resized).jpg20180921_112125 (resized).jpg
#319 5 years ago
Quoted from BigJoeCincy:

I just picked this bad boy up today, its in great shape just needs a little cleaning but check out the bottom of the playfield . I'm now in the Popeye club haha. Im up to three games, my collection is growing
It has all LEDs in it. Other than that its pretty stock I think
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great !

Welcome aboard the good ship Popeye ! Such a misunderstood and under rated game.

Added over 6 years ago:

EDIT - If you are new to Popeye then check out the Guide I spent a stupid number of hours writing

https://papa.org/wp-content/uploads/Popeye.pdf

#320 5 years ago

i just bought a 3d bluto head to replace the flat plastic that came with my machine. It doesn’t seem to fit though. Can anyone take pics or post how they installed theirs?

Also, has anyone has success with whitening the life preservers? Mine are yellow.

42567CB2-7091-4406-A5E9-799A5EA8A6E0 (resized).jpeg42567CB2-7091-4406-A5E9-799A5EA8A6E0 (resized).jpeg
#321 5 years ago
Quoted from Bananaboyandy:

i just bought a 3d bluto head to replace the flat plastic that came with my machine. It doesn’t seem to fit though. Can anyone take pics or post how they installed theirs?
Also, has anyone has success with whitening the life preservers? Mine are yellow. [quoted image]

You can probably see it in the pictures i just posted a few replies ago?

#322 5 years ago

I think it might be due to the plastic where it connects in. Does yours look like this? Specifically the plastic on the left with the holes.

B5E55AF7-F359-4434-BFA2-1D19EE084A09 (resized).jpegB5E55AF7-F359-4434-BFA2-1D19EE084A09 (resized).jpeg
#323 5 years ago

Here’s a pic of mine a while back. Not sure if the plastic is broken or is meant to be this way.

7F697BED-0B4D-45AE-B87B-BB0CB81D1933 (resized).jpeg7F697BED-0B4D-45AE-B87B-BB0CB81D1933 (resized).jpeg

#324 5 years ago

It looks like they may have changed the design of the plastic holes. Mine is “closed” which is preventing me from sliding the head back to the holes. Only thing I can think of is cut the plastic but obviously would prefer not to do that.

#325 5 years ago

Mine is also open like Mr Eds

#326 5 years ago

Anyone have any luck trying to whiten the plastic life preservers?

#327 5 years ago

It looks like they may have changed the design of the plastic holes. Mine is “closed” which is preventing me from sliding the head back to the holes. Only thing I can think of is cut the plastic but obviously would prefer not to do that.

I had to put the head in diagonally and then straighten it out with one side already in.

#328 5 years ago

Any recommendations on how to fill and color this divot in the playfield? Trying to prevent it from getting any worse.

59B6E457-AEAC-46DB-AB56-D9F975E27C0F (resized).jpeg59B6E457-AEAC-46DB-AB56-D9F975E27C0F (resized).jpeg
#329 5 years ago

I think it might be due to the plastic where it connects in. Does yours look like this? Specifically the plastic on the left with the holes.
[quoted image]

Mine looks like this. No problem at all fitting the head.

IMG_6917 (resized).JPGIMG_6917 (resized).JPG

#330 5 years ago

Here's a pic of a machine with the flat head fitted - same design plastics

2e9a143c5d12a2345e12485e35f68c92ab00c4ef (resized).jpg2e9a143c5d12a2345e12485e35f68c92ab00c4ef (resized).jpg
#331 5 years ago

However the flyer shows slightly different design ??? So we could be looking at 3 variants ? Looking at online pics the most common I see are the design on my machine

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#332 5 years ago

I think Ive is right. Midway must have changed the design as they transitioned from the 3d head to the flat plastic face. The repro head I just bought is made of thick rigid plastic that is difficult to flex. The originals look like they were rubber/latex and have much more willingness to bend to get it in position.

#333 5 years ago

Installed, thx everyone.

71278E6C-2AB7-4BEA-924E-195B5BEFC3D4 (resized).jpeg71278E6C-2AB7-4BEA-924E-195B5BEFC3D4 (resized).jpeg
#334 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Looks great !
Welcome aboard the good ship Popeye ! Such a misunderstood and under rated game.

Added today: EDIT - If you are new to Popeye then check out the Guide I spent a stupid number of hours writing
https://papa.org/wp-content/uploads/Popeye.pdf

Nice thanks I will read through it. I ended up playing for hours this weekend and feel like I have the rules down. Now i just need to start running that score up.

So the only ways I have figured out how to get the extra ball is either by winning it on the upper playfield or by hitting the left ramp a bunch of times?

#335 5 years ago
Quoted from BigJoeCincy:

So the only ways I have figured out how to get the extra ball is either by winning it on the upper playfield or by hitting the left ramp a bunch of times?

That's correct

1 week later
#336 5 years ago

Interesting ..... NOS apparently. Never seen a white one before

https://www.pinballlife.com/popeye-exit-ramp-assembly-opaque-white.html

a-17736 (resized).jpga-17736 (resized).jpg
#337 5 years ago

So I figured this would be the best place to start asking these questions. First off Ive had the game for about 2 weeks now and I'm having a lot of fun with it, I'm not sure why it gets hated on so bad. The only real complaint I have that confuses me is why would they put those dials on the ship it totally blocks the ball save light, i can not figure out why someone would decide to do that haha. It also doesnt xplain what youre supposed to do in the game but once you learn the rules you can figure it out for yourself. Other than that not a bad game in my opinion.

Ok to my question. Has anyone else had a problem with the ball flying up the ramp and getting stuck in the back. It has happened to me twice so far and the only way to get it out is to lift the upper playfield which sucks. is there some fix for this or what? I have the game set to 6.5 degrees, maybe I could go steeper.

Also the very back right kickout sometimes has a hard time getting high enough to make the wire guide down so it kicks it sometimes about 5 times or more before it finally makes it. I havent started troubleshooting that one yet. It could just be loose or I might just need a new coil or something. Ill let you know how that one turns out.

Im going to have it open for the next couple days cleaning it up and adding some spotlights and such.

20181007_160925 (resized).jpg20181007_160925 (resized).jpg20181007_160951 (resized).jpg20181007_160951 (resized).jpg20181007_161000 (resized).jpg20181007_161000 (resized).jpg
#338 5 years ago
Quoted from BigJoeCincy:

Ok to my question. Has anyone else had a problem with the ball flying up the ramp and getting stuck in the back. It has happened to me twice so far and the only way to get it out is to lift the upper playfield which sucks. is there some fix for this or what? I have the game set to 6.5 degrees, maybe I could go steeper.

Common problem. I cut a Lexan plastic to cover that area, and used a combination of velcro (near the front) and a screw (at the back) to hold it down. But I would still get ramp rejects when the ball would bounce up and hit it. When I got the game, the post screw on the left side of the ramp was backed way out, and I didn't know why so I tightened it back down. But months later it dawned on me that the reason was to create a bank for the ramp. I never tried changing it back and no longer have the game, but I would suggest trying it. The ramp flap will come up a little bit off the playfield but I don't believe enough to be a problem.

#339 5 years ago

I put a piece of peel and stick foam back there to add some height to the ramp. On the upkicker problem the ball is not resting in the in slot on the bracket that holds the ball at correct angle on the vuk bracket. Bend the bracket slightly. So the ball sets at at slight angle. Yes, it truly is a great underrated game.

#340 5 years ago
IMG_20181011_0106262 (resized).jpgIMG_20181011_0106262 (resized).jpgIMG_20181011_0106330 (resized).jpgIMG_20181011_0106330 (resized).jpg
#341 5 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting. Hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting.

EDIT - Just found all the Service Bulletins on Pinwiki
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Service_Bulletins

#342 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Interesting. Hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting.
EDIT - Just found all the Service Bulletins on Pinwiki
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Service_Bulletins

That's a great link. Lots of good stuff

#343 5 years ago

Very nice guys thanks. I will take care of all that the next time I have it open for cleaning or the next time it gets stuck back there haha.

One last question. Does your upper play field seem to lean to the left even though the lower play field is level....? Mine has a bank to the left but everything seems to be together like it should.

I was adding some spotlights the other day and dropped a nut that slide down the orbit and now I cant find it. Ill be working on that tonight and bending that bracket for the upkicker. I think it made its way into one of the openings in the orbit and fell back behind somewhere but I have been looking for it and cant find it. You should have heard the words coming out of my mouth when I did that haha

Thanks again for the help

#344 5 years ago
Quoted from BigJoeCincy:

Very nice guys thanks. I will take care of all that the next time I have it open for cleaning or the next time it gets stuck back there haha.
One last question. Does your upper play field seem to lean to the left even though the lower play field is level....? Mine has a bank to the left but everything seems to be together like it should.
I was adding some spotlights the other day and dropped a nut that slide down the orbit and now I cant find it. Ill be working on that tonight and bending that bracket for the upkicker. I think it made its way into one of the openings in the orbit and fell back behind somewhere but I have been looking for it and cant find it. You should have heard the words coming out of my mouth when I did that haha
Thanks again for the help

My upper playfield has no lean to it.

#345 5 years ago

Upper playfield should be level. Something is not right with yours.

#346 5 years ago
Quoted from BigJoeCincy:

Check to see if your LEFT side rail is cracked anywhere. The rails Midway used have finger-joints in them that may come apart. If this happens, the rear corners will sag, thus creating a lean at the backboard to whichever side has the crack(s). replacing them will correct any mis-alignment with the upper PF since its attached to the backboard. This happened to my Indiana Jones. see images.
broken left rail (resized).JPGbroken left rail (resized).JPGsiderail (resized).JPGsiderail (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
#347 5 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to the club. Picked up Popeye last weekend and got some questions:

1. Is 02-4660 the correct post for the outlanes? Mine are missing.
2. My animal ramp seems to be slightly tilted towards the inside. Is this normal? It suspect that maybe the posts holding it on the outside are wrong. Could somebody measure the distance between the siderail and the point where the post is attached to the ramp?
3. What do you use to clean/polish the window in the upper playfield? Novus 2?
4. My translite has some small holes. Anybody knows where/if there is a replacement available?
5. Same with the lockjaw, it's pretty beat up. Anybody knows of an replacement?
6. I set my playfield to 6,3°. Which angle do you have set yours to?

regards

Nikolai

#348 5 years ago

Anyone have any luck trying to whiten the plastic life preservers?

I would consider taking them off, cleaning, spray with Plasitkote (or similar plastic-binding spray paint) gloss white, and the hand-paint the letters back on.

RM

3 weeks later
#349 5 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone have the part number and/or a pic of the light bracket behind Bluto's nose? I've replaced 'flat' bluto with the 3d version but there's no light bracket and the wires have been tied back. Any help would be appreciated.

Eddie.

#350 5 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Hi,
Does anyone have the part number and/or a pic of the light bracket behind Bluto's nose? I've replaced 'flat' bluto with the 3d version but there's no light bracket and the wires have been tied back. Any help would be appreciated.
Eddie.

I think I’ve got one you can have. I’ll have a look in my parts in the next few days get back to you.
Update
I had to find a part for the swords of fury I’m working on and had a look for the Bluto flasher bracket. Bingo!
Pm me your details and I’ll send it to you.
BEC17540-5FE5-42F6-B348-52C26E18C6D2 (resized).jpegBEC17540-5FE5-42F6-B348-52C26E18C6D2 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 905 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-owners-group/page/7?hl=bigjoecincy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.