622E9621-9FED-47BC-90D2-7DFB0609064F (resized).png
IMG_2767 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5319 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4047 (resized).jpeg
20230917_145016 (resized).jpg
20230917_154012 (resized).jpg
20230917_111937 (resized).jpg
20230917_111157 (resized).jpg
There are 905 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 19.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from tas_tig3r:

Picked this up week before last, did an LED swap out and it's looking pretty good! Glass broke in transport so I tore alot of it down to clean it out! I'm looking for a replacement translite though as mine has some scratches on it. Blow me down!

Nice looking game. Why does the DMD look red?

(you will never find all of the glass)

#202 7 years ago

Joining the club
About the bluto mech, when i got my game it did not work at all. Missing the flap gate etc. So i built my own flap gate while waiting for new parts. One tip regarding the bluto weldment switch adjustment, is to remove it from the playfield and adjust with all 3 balls lined up, and also a final check with 1-2-3 balls and also check the "flow" when ball is fed to the outlet...kicker coil. It's very easy to reshape the beat up switch wires this way.

IMG_0643 (resized).JPGIMG_0643 (resized).JPG

#203 7 years ago

Btw, trouble shooting some lamps.
(All lamps out on row 1 in the matrix except for extra ball on the upper playfield) what is backbox tail 71? Guessing it's that strange socket on the backbox? Also seems like almost half the lamps don't work in the backbox ...Mabey related problem...? Mabey wrong thread for this

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Btw, trouble shooting some lamps.
(All lamps out on row 1 in the matrix except for extra ball on the upper playfield) what is backbox tail 71? Guessing it's that strange socket on the backbox? Also seems like almost half the lamps don't work in the backbox ...Mabey related problem...? Mabey wrong thread for this

I would think this will get better attention in a repair thread rather than game specific since this is a generic issue.

But - If all but one lamp in the row is out I would assume the wire Red with Brown stripe is broken between the game over lamp and the next one in the chain. If you are lucky it is right at the game over lamp socket where 2 wires should be daisy chained and one hopefully broken off.

The next one must be that Back Box tail (not shown in manual). But you can confirm the continuity break in the Red-Brown wire to one of the bulbs you can find for now. (11,21,31,41,51,61) Having that tail 71 lamp being in the lamp chain would be strange because you normally do not have bulbs in the back box and playfield on the same connector. This way you can unplug and remove the playfield.

Backbox lamps being out sounds like a GI wire or burned connector. Probably not related.

#205 7 years ago

Hi! Thank's for your reply. If you mean "extra ball" = game over lamp, i've checked that one. Seems fine. Is there any pictures available on that back box tail...? That one seems very game specific

#206 7 years ago

This picture is from the tail light at the backbox. Is there a wire missing?

IMG_0664 (resized).JPGIMG_0664 (resized).JPG

#207 7 years ago

For future reference:
Problem solved...it was not in the back box.
Got fooled by many broken lamps, the real problem was a broken wire between left ramp arrow and the sea target lamp.

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Nice looking game. Why does the DMD look red?
(you will never find all of the glass)

I think that's just my camera as it's a standard orange DMD. I did my best, basically disassembled the entire game and I'm pretty sure I got 99.9% of it.

#209 7 years ago

Oh, I'm looking for another translight as mine is scratched up. Let me know if you have one spare, anyone!

#210 7 years ago

Now when Everything seems to work on the game i'am thinking about pimping it with some led's.
Is there any kit you would recommend or should i just go for an universial led kit?
It's a led jungle out there

#211 7 years ago

Leds, popeye needs to go little britter. For the GI's I used are 4 and 4+1. the 4 ones are brighter than 4+1.

pic1 (resized).pngpic1 (resized).png

pic2 (resized).pngpic2 (resized).png

#212 7 years ago

I wanted to say the book is wrong on rubber ring sizes, and so are most sellers of ring kits as that is where they get there info from. I wish I had posted this along time ago. 5 or so of the ring sizes are to small.
If they are to small dont use then they will break. This machine has up to 6 ball multi ball. Which is hard on rubbers that are stretched to tight. Most of which are hard to get too when they breat.

IMG_0588 (resized).JPGIMG_0588 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#213 7 years ago

That's a really nice playfield!

Anyone know the feeling when waiting for parts feels like forever?

#214 7 years ago

Has anyone here made a fix for the glass bangin on the upper playfield?
Pictures welcome

I took some plastic and used the posts for mounting. Didn't came out super sofisticated...

Also added som plastic on the left side behind Bluto's head, the ball seems to jump up there every now and then and get stuck just above the lower pop bumper.

#215 7 years ago

Yes! Package arrived today
Most important upgrade from the downgrade flat one.

IMG_0700 (resized).JPGIMG_0700 (resized).JPG

#216 7 years ago

Maybe your machine is missing this piece. You can make one. If needed. Seems alot of theses machines need one. I think when some parts break people just take them off. Also I have a reproduction head you will need a bright led for his nose. Original nose for 3d face more clearish plastic.

IMG_0620 (resized).JPGIMG_0620 (resized).JPG

#217 7 years ago

Thank's a lot! That looks pretty much like what i've done...except i use the two center posts.

#218 7 years ago

Is that an anti-airball plastic for Sweet Pea? Anyone make them or got a CAD file?

#219 7 years ago

I think I have an earlier post with the dimensions for this piece. I have made two of them. I used a piece of plexiglass. Actually called lexan the last time. It's really hard tough clear plastic, from Lowe's home improvement. About 6 dollars. Red label one is the laxen.

#220 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Is that an anti-airball plastic for Sweet Pea? Anyone make them or got a CAD file?

My game needs one too

#221 7 years ago

It was very easy to free hand one with the jig saw if you can live with a home made one

IMG_0718 (resized).JPGIMG_0718 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#223 7 years ago

Nice work!

#224 7 years ago

I'd suggest redoing arrows etc on the photos. They're a bit unclear in the pdf.

1 week later
#225 7 years ago

Our last work

IMG_20170225_192435 (resized).jpgIMG_20170225_192435 (resized).jpg

#226 7 years ago

Is that the Popeye from the basement arcade bar in Prague? When I visited a little over a year ago, it had a ton of issues which made it unplayable. If so, looks a lot cleaner now ... so would would assume it has been given a full service.

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Is that the Popeye from the basement arcade bar in Prague? When I visited a little over a year ago, it had a ton of issues which made it unplayable. If so, looks a lot cleaner now ... so would would assume it has been given a full service.

Yes, you are right. You can find him and other 6 pins in Joystick Bar in Prague. It was fully restored and it is in good condition now.

https://www.facebook.com/joystickbarprague

Here you can see our work

https://www.facebook.com/flipperyvcr

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Btw if you are interested in Prague happening you can also check the thread below where I write news..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/czech-pinball-community-cz-en-language

1 week later
#229 7 years ago

After work gaming, very happy with the score!
All modes + wizard mode completed. Nice to see the final scene were Popeye beats up Bluto

IMG_0837 (resized).JPGIMG_0837 (resized).JPG

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

All modes + wizard mode completed. Nice to see the final scene were Popeye beats up Bluto

Nice score. Yeah the Wiz mode is great

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

30 minutes?

#232 7 years ago

Took a while, but not too long. Was very lucky with the four modes. Pretty much nailed e'm on the first try. Scored around 380 mil on the first ball. So it was a good game from start!

#233 7 years ago

I know this isn't a repair thread, but it's a place where many of you with Popeye tech expertise are.

I bought a Popeye that had under 100 plays, it's damn near perfect. The only flaw is one that's really troubling.

My skill shot wheel does odd stuff, like stop. A new ball is loaded. The wheel spins, immediately stops, restarts, and when you launch the ball it stays in the wheel. It will eventually fall out as the game searches for the ball. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all, but tonight was rough.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#234 7 years ago

Sounds like you have to examine the wheel opto?

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from KnoxPins:

I know this isn't a repair thread, but it's a place where many of you with Popeye tech expertise are.
I bought a Popeye that had under 100 plays, it's damn near perfect. The only flaw is one that's really troubling.
My skill shot wheel does odd stuff, like stop. A new ball is loaded. The wheel spins, immediately stops, restarts, and when you launch the ball it stays in the wheel. It will eventually fall out as the game searches for the ball. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all, but tonight was rough.

Check the wheel control board over .... bad connection ? Cracked solder joint ?

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from KnoxPins:

Sounds terrible and you shouldn't fix it. I suggest you PM me right away so I can take this nuisance off your hands immediately for a ridiculously low price.

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Sounds terrible and you shouldn't fix it. I suggest you PM me right away so I can take this nuisance off your hands immediately for a ridiculously low price.

What's that Apollo 13 worth to you??

Thanks for the info guys, I'll start looking it over. I'm sure I'll post some questions.

#238 7 years ago

Hey vdojaq, I just across an ad for one that is supposed to be in good shape in Marshall IL for $3500 if you're seriously wanting one. Not mine, obviously.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from KnoxPins:

What's that Apollo 13 worth to you??
Thanks for the info guys, I'll start looking it over. I'm sure I'll post some questions.

Apollo 13 is the Wife's machine.....so that's NOT going to happen.

#240 7 years ago

I'm pleased to report it was just dirty optics and Popeye is again right as rain, I put 4 games on with no issues. I'm also a little embarrassed to not have known all the steps to diagnose. I'm learning.

The machines I have are just getting to the point of breaking down at times, so I'm learning a bit at a time.

I have a SMB that needs a diode replaced on an up kicker. That's tomorrow's task.

If my wife wouldn't scream, I'd have a dozen or so.

#241 7 years ago

"The machines I have are just getting to the point of breaking down at time"

I thought that was normal state of a Pinball machine

#242 7 years ago

ok.....I'm in...the Popeye Club!

20170313_134516 (resized).jpg20170313_134516 (resized).jpg

#243 7 years ago

Does anyone have a source for replacement playfield decal stickers?

Or a PDF of high res scans which I can get printed?

#244 7 years ago

There's a few on eBay right now, not too pricey.

1 month later
#245 7 years ago

I'm back in the club. Is it weird that I've owned popeye three times or even weirder that it's been the exact same one each time? Pictures of the three times I've had it.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#246 6 years ago

Hi, I am wondering if someone can tell me where the light in blutos nose ties in 0n the 3d bluto. my machine came with the flat face and I purchased the 3d bluto. But I need to add the light to his nose that alerts you when the ball is coming out of his "mouth"
any help pictures etc... would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from hawk370:

Hi, I am wondering if someone can tell me where the light in blutos nose ties in 0n the 3d bluto. my machine came with the flat face and I purchased the 3d bluto. But I need to add the light to his nose that alerts you when the ball is coming out of his "mouth"
any help pictures etc... would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

My Popeye had the flat face and the socket in there, with no bulb in it bent around facing rearward. not sure if it started it's life with the 3D bluto face, and was switched to the flat one later on. it was hidden pretty well, but there for sure. a wedge style black socket riveted to a flat of metal

1 month later
#248 6 years ago

Hi there Popeye fans! I bought one recently and it needed some work, but now she's working 100% and the only complaint that I really had was the success rate of the swee-pea ramp shots. With the stock rubbers in place, getting the ball through was annoyingly rare due to rubber bounce backs. I removed the rubbers on the two ramp posts and slid some snippings from a drinking straw in their place. The result is nothing short of a startling difference. The upper playfield fun factor just went way up. I thought I'd share this ultra cheap mod with you in case you want to try it. I've got the stock flippers and this mod cures my only complaint with the game. I love my Popeye!

DSCF1372 (resized).JPGDSCF1372 (resized).JPG

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from JeremyON:

Hi there Popeye fans! I bought one recently and it needed some work, but now she's working 100% and the only complaint that I really had was the success rate of the swee-pea ramp shots. With the stock rubbers in place, getting the ball through was annoyingly rare due to rubber bounce backs. I removed the rubbers on the two ramp posts and slid some snippings from a drinking straw in their place. The result is nothing short of a startling difference. The upper playfield fun factor just went way up. I thought I'd share this ultra cheap mod with you in case you want to try it. I've got the stock flippers and this mod cures my only complaint with the game. I love my Popeye!

Just wanted to add, PinballLife. Has really thin wall post rubbers. You will probably have to call and ask for them.
I got some for my popeye sweet pee ramp post.

#250 6 years ago

Popeye is a really great underrated game. I have had years of fun with mine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 40.00
$ 85.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 905 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-owners-group/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.