Topic Stats

• 497 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by RussMyers
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 169 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C094A34D-B60B-4554-A152-AFF614DEE575 (resized).jpeg
1C92A16D-D307-42D6-99D9-6AEE3C7FC49C (resized).jpeg
961EBCD0-C0BF-4C71-9566-FB5A08701837 (resized).jpeg
2D92CC97-E2F0-4A23-A235-6FF2F0549E4C (resized).jpeg
IMG_2756[1] (resized).JPG
B0276AF3-98CD-47D3-A076-C842D14656E7 (resized).jpeg
3D579783-192F-438F-B7B6-D57F40F8B429 (resized).jpeg
20471628-6889-4C01-BBD4-DC337EC0C65E (resized).jpeg
16994372-4259-4BB2-B788-7EC56EE30BFB (resized).jpeg
ACD3A3AF-FD0A-4247-B4E7-54F76BB12540 (resized).jpeg
popeye_instructions_dark (resized).jpg
popeye_free_play_dark (resized).jpg
1BC9CB54-41C5-406B-BC87-24C15109472A (resized).jpeg

There are 497 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

So.. Why is this game so underrated. Kinda blown away how fun it is.

ya got me. it's a tonne of fun.......I imagine it's the illuminati

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

VERY good tutorial video: ยป YouTube video

+1, though it's a shame it's only PF and no DMD. The DMD is pretty instructive on Popeye and there are some great animations.

#153 3 years ago

Yeah would be nice if it had 2 cameras and overlay the DMD in the corner or something.

#154 3 years ago

Got the LED's in. Added a GI light in the head. Added an LED strip top right plastic. Still need to add an LED strip to the left animals as well updated the lights for each. Color DMD is on its way

pe2_(resized).jpgpe1_(resized).jpgpe3_(resized).jpg

#155 3 years ago

Anyone know if it is possible to put a light inside the wheel? My other alternative was to mount flasher with a cone pointing at the wheel. I find it a bit hard to see in a dark room.

EDIT: Just noticed the lights under the wheel are still incandescent lights. I imagine it will light up well once I update them and maybe use 2 head flex.

#156 3 years ago

Check my earlier post pics. I mounted a spotlight.

#157 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Check my earlier post pics. I mounted a spotlight.

Ahh yes, I just need to find an insert that is only on when the wheel turns, I rather the light only turn on when its in use. Other option as I mentioned before was tapping into the flasher. I have some high voltage LED strips for flashers. On another note, colorDMD is out for delivery.

#158 3 years ago

Who would put a ColorDMD in Popeye?

(Seriously, I would love to know how many people did)

#159 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I would and plan to when I get the gameroom at the new house set up and have some spare change again...

#160 3 years ago

Well blow me down. If I can find a clean example of one, I'd def buy a ColorDMD for it.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:Who would put a ColorDMD in Popeye?

Mine has an awesome ColorDMD in it!! It showed up at my door the day it was announced!
Thanks to the awesome guy (Shrekman) who colored it and the crew at ColorDMD who made it happen...(It really didn't have anything to do with me begging Randy everyday for Popeye to get colored or anything...) (maybe every other day...) I love it and Popeye rocks in color!! So much better than those plain old orange dots!!

Phoebe

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Well, I had no choice. Addicted to the mod. This is my 9th colorDMD. I just did the math, %$%^&. Well it was over a couple years. However, as much as I love the mod I kinda wish I had all that money back. I could have bought 3-4 Popeye's...

2 weeks later
#163 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I did!

DSC05277_(resized).JPG

DSC05275_(resized).JPG

#164 3 years ago

I put color dmd in mine too. Great game, the color dmd takes you more into the cartoon theme of the game. It's awesome.

3 weeks later
#165 3 years ago

Well folks. The unthinkable happened. I'm out of the club. Needed space and sold 3 games. Wish I had a little more space and a lot more $$. But for now I will bid you a toot toot, and a spinach filled goodbye

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Well folks. The unthinkable happened. I'm out of the club. Needed space and sold 3 games. Wish I had a little more space and a lot more $$. But for now I will bid you a toot toot, and a spinach filled goodbye

You kept Gorgar and Road Kings over Popeye? I might have to give you a thumbs down.

Sorry you had to make such a tragic decision

#167 3 years ago

Just a added reproduction bluto face, old one was breaking. Titan pinball translucent rubbers, look great. If you get some and it seems a bit tight use a bigger size or they will break.

IMG_0589_(resized).JPG

IMG_0590_(resized).JPG
IMG_0588_(resized).JPG

IMG_0591_(resized).JPG

#168 3 years ago

Looking to join this club! Anybody looking to sell?

2 months later
#169 2 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Just a added reproduction bluto face, old one was breaking. Titan pinball translucent rubbers, look great. If you get some and it seems a bit tight use a bigger size or they will break.

That looks fantastic.

I recently added a ColorDMD to my Popeye, ...WOW ....what a difference. Such great animations on this game and it really shows them off now

1 week later
#170 2 years ago

I hope this is the right place to ask questions about an issue i have with my popeye.
I bought the machine in not quite so working order. I replaced the MPU board with a new rawdog unit because it have battery corrosion issues, i also installed all new caps and bridge rectifiers to the power board to eliminate the random shutoffs that were happening. I have the machine to the point where all solenoid test, and switch tests, including all of the optos are working correctly. However, when i start a game, the trogh kicker simply continues to shoot balls into the trough. Also, even without anything happening, random scores keep appearing on the dmd. Any ideas?

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from Oddball49:

I hope this is the right place to ask questions about an issue i have with my popeye.
I bought the machine in not quite so working order. I replaced the MPU board with a new rawdog unit because it have battery corrosion issues, i also installed all new caps and bridge rectifiers to the power board to eliminate the random shutoffs that were happening. I have the machine to the point where all solenoid test, and switch tests, including all of the optos are working correctly. However, when i start a game, the trogh kicker simply continues to shoot balls into the trough. Also, even without anything happening, random scores keep appearing on the dmd. Any ideas?

Put the machine into switch edge test and test all of the opto switches, esp the ones in the ball trough.

RM

#172 2 years ago

This is a great place to ask all questions. If you have checked the shooter lane micro switch and its good. These machines along with Judge Dredd have ball trough opto problems. This most likely is your problem easy fix both boards updated reproduction are about 60 or 70 for the pair. Transmitter and receiver boards. I replaced both on mine problem fixed.

#173 2 years ago

Before i shell out another $70, I also noticed that when i do the switch testing, every switch on the matrix is flickering. Not just the optos, all switches that are shown to be closed. Checking the voltage on all of test points on the power driver board, they all look correct aside from test point one which shows 10v instead of 12v. Could this be the issue? Are all of the switch flickering and possibly causing the random scoring AND the opto issues?

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from Oddball49:

Before i shell out another $70, I also noticed that when i do the switch testing, every switch on the matrix is flickering. Not just the optos, all switches that are shown to be closed. Checking the voltage on all of test points on the power driver board, they all look correct aside from test point one which shows 10v instead of 12v. Could this be the issue? Are all of the switch flickering and possibly causing the random scoring AND the opto issues?

That's possible. The switches all run on a stable 12volts. If this is low or unstable, you will get switch problems.

Can you check the 12v connections to make sure the connectors are solid?

I had issues like this once on a DW and it was the 12v input connector from the transformer to the power driver board (J101 or J102 I think), could be a lot of things.

RM

#175 2 years ago

On the trough opto board possible problem. Using a ball or a piece of paper in front of optos can be a good test. Watching switch matrix in test mode. Maybe you can adjust optos a bit slight bending of them. However, on mine it looked good but wasn't. For the optos being weak. Best sign I can tell you about was on mine it was slow at player change sometimes taking 10 seconds or so. Sometimes not so bad. Showing swirling on display when it should just change to next player. Once in a great while it would pop another ball into shooter lane. New trough opto boards solved all of the problem. Now player change is instantaneous. I really don't remember what my voltages were for that. Dont think they were low though. Optos can and do get weak after a while.

#176 2 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

That's possible. The switches all run on a stable 12volts. If this is low or unstable, you will get switch problems.
Can you check the 12v connections to make sure the connectors are solid?
I had issues like this once on a DW and it was the 12v input connector from the transformer to the power driver board (J101 or J102 I think), could be a lot of things.
RM

Can i simply remove the connector from J101 and J102 and test the voltage coming direct from the transformer? Do those ever go bad? I ask because that would be the start of the electrical chain to the 12v power i dont have, and i should probably verify the voltage feeding the board first right?

#177 2 years ago

Just joining the club. I need to get the Bluto ball lock mechanism dialed in as someone mangled the switches. Other than that works great.

IMG_0218 (resized).JPG

IMG_0220 (resized).JPG

IMG_0219 (resized).JPG

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from Oddball49:

Can i simply remove the connector from J101 and J102 and test the voltage coming direct from the transformer? Do those ever go bad? I ask because that would be the start of the electrical chain to the 12v power i dont have, and i should probably verify the voltage feeding the board first right?

Yes, you can test it there. I had low 12v on my DW and it was a flaky IDC connector at that point.

RM

#179 2 years ago

Bos98 glad to see you finally found one.

#180 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Bos98 glad to see you finally found one.

Thanks. Very happy to have it and my son loves the animals. I just finished getting it playing properly. That center ball lock is a bitch to adjust when someone previously mangled all the switch blades. Replacements are coming but I have it working properly for now.

IMG_0225 (resized).JPG

#181 2 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

That center ball lock is a bitch to adjust when someone previously mangled all the switch blades.

Yeah, I had to replace all of mine when I had my Popeye. The tricky part is to get the micro switches to stay actuated when balls are locked and are lying over the switch blades. The blades will also get hung up on the slots through the metal scoop.. Another thing to watch out for is the over-tightening of the micro switches causing them to bind, and also verify the switches are installed properly to the weldment with the proper rectangular washer. Another factor is to make sure the table at the proper angle (6.5deg) and testing the trough out of the machine with rolling balls into/through it. The "whistle" and spit out/eject when it's not supposed to when balls are hit in.. god, that's annoying!

This game really needs the bluto lock dialed in, otherwise its a PITA to get to wizard mode

#182 2 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Yeah, I had to replace all of mine when I had my Popeye. The tricky part is to get the micro switches to stay actuated when balls are locked and are lying over the switch blades. The blades will also get hung up on the slots through the metal scoop.. Another thing to watch out for is the over-tightening of the micro switches causing them to bind, and also verify the switches are installed properly to the weldment with the proper rectangular washer. Another factor is to make sure the table at the proper angle (6.5deg) and testing the trough out of the machine with rolling balls into/through it. The "whistle" and spit out/eject when it's not supposed to when balls are hit in.. god, that's annoying!
This game really needs the bluto lock dialed in, otherwise its a PITA to get to wizard mode

I tested the crap out of it both by manually loading balls and checking switch diagnostics it was mostly there and once I pulled out the inclinometer and got the table to 6.5* everything else clicked. I have subsequently played about 20 games on it with consistent proper results.

Very happy with how it is playing and it will clearly be a family favorite.

#183 2 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

Very happy with how it is playing and it will clearly be a family favorite.

Yeah, it was my 1st pin, I learned a LOT on it and really miss it. Had to go in order to make room!

DSC05274 (resized).JPG

#184 2 years ago

I had to fold mine up and move it to storage

I have no room at the house so it has been on loan to The Sanctum. But they have the big tournament "24 Hour Battle" coming up and all of the pins need to be running 100% (100 people locked in for 24 hours straight of pinball can be grueling on pins and people). The Bluto trough was acting up again and I don't have time to make it perfect. So I pulled the ColorDMD and batteries and let them swap it with a WCS I had in storage.

So I'm still a member of the club but not an active member

#185 2 years ago

The ColorDMD looks pretty cool. Not sure I want to toss $350 at this particular title, when I have been reluctant to put one in my TZ, STTNG or SWDE

#186 2 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

So I pulled the ColorDMD

that's a little ironic, since you colorized it!!!!

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

The ColorDMD looks pretty cool. Not sure I want to toss $350 at this particular title

that's the beauty of ColorDMD being totally portable!!

IMG_8625 (resized).JPG

#188 2 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

that's a little ironic, since you colorized it!!!!

I know. I thought about that, trust me. I don't know if I need to change my avatar picture now.

#189 2 years ago

beautiful job colorizing it BTW.... for me the hardest part of that game is completing the Cartel modes to get to wizard mode. THe Wizard mode on this game (especially with color) is sweet! I think because it's so hard to get to, not many people have been there.

#190 2 years ago

If anyone is interested I wrote a guide to Popeye .............warning .....it's *LONG*

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/grizzs-ultimate-guide-to-popeye-the-good-the-bad-and-the-spinach.34036/

#191 2 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

beautiful job colorizing it BTW.... for me the hardest part of that game is completing the Cartel modes to get to wizard mode. THe Wizard mode on this game (especially with color) is sweet! I think because it's so hard to get to, not many people have been there.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I had to take the glass off to get there and color test. It would be nice if I was good enough at playing to get to all the scenes I colored.

#192 2 years ago

Definitely think it's time Popeye found it's audience and got some love. I'm seeing a lot of people doing nice shop jobs with LEDs, and now ColorDMD is out for it.

Just found as well that cabinet decals are finally available http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/popeye-pinball-cabinet-decals/

#193 2 years ago

I just did LEDs in my Popeye which I recently acquired. I just patched the latest ROM with the non-ghosting driver updated and burned a replacement EPROM. So so so much better!

#194 2 years ago
Quoted from Dansur:

Just found as well that cabinet decals are finally available

This is really great, since Popeye's red is always faded to pink or gone entirely. Thanks for the share!

1 month later
#195 2 years ago

Well guys i just joined this here club. My daughter wanted a popeye for xmas. Who am i to argue? Anything that keeps her flipping!

20161221_174540 (resized).jpg

#196 2 years ago

Looking to join tne club if one is for sale east coast.

2 weeks later
#197 2 years ago

Guys i need some help here with my popeye. When im searching for swee pea all the optos register properly and popeye moves through the map as hes supposed to. But when i make it to swee pea on the map i hear the ding ding ding that youre supposed to hear when hes found
but i get no swee pea crawling on the dmd and i dont get the 50mil. Just the sound effect and restarting at the bottom of the map. Wtf. Please help me guys as the game looks and plays flawlessly other than this!

#198 2 years ago
Quoted from DanTheGlassMan:

Guys i need some help here with my popeye. When im searching for swee pea all the optos register properly and popeye moves through the map as hes supposed to. But when i make it to swee pea on the map i hear the ding ding ding that youre supposed to hear when hes found
but i get no swee pea crawling on the dmd and i dont get the 50mil. Just the sound effect and restarting at the bottom of the map. Wtf. Please help me guys as the game looks and plays flawlessly other than this!

What ROM revision are you running ?

#199 2 years ago

Got it figured out. Thanks guys.

#200 2 years ago

Picked this up week before last, did an LED swap out and it's looking pretty good! Glass broke in transport so I tore alot of it down to clean it out! I'm looking for a replacement translite though as mine has some scratches on it. Blow me down!

IMG_20170110_215425 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170110_173741 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170110_173748 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 28.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 497 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside