622E9621-9FED-47BC-90D2-7DFB0609064F (resized).png
IMG_2767 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5319 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4047 (resized).jpeg
20230917_145016 (resized).jpg
20230917_154012 (resized).jpg
20230917_111937 (resized).jpg
20230917_111157 (resized).jpg
There are 905 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 19.
#551 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I have heard a lot of comments about Popeye but that is the craziest
The upper playfield is a blast - finding Swee Pea in the maze is one of the toughest and therefore most satisfying challenges in 90s pinball. Plus you can make the Wimpy shot into the Skill wheel for some useful awards.
I wrote a crazy long takedown and rulesheet on Popeye a few years ago at the height of my Popeye fixation ....
https://papa.org/wp-content/uploads/Popeye.pdf

Very nice !!
Thanks for sharing.

1 week later
#552 3 years ago

I hate to ask this because it seems like a stupid question... but I did skim through this post and didn't see anything about it... ... but how the heck do you set this machine to 1 coin, 1 credit. I've put the pricing at 1/$1.00 and set each coin slot to 1.00... any every combination of everything I could think of... but it just ignores it and keep treating the mechs like quarters when they're in fact tokens.

I went through and set 50 other machines to 1 credit/1 token, no problem... ... but this machine. THIS MACHINE!!!!!

I'm starting to lose my sh*t over this thing. LOL I -love- this machine, but this pricing issue is driving me crazy.

2 weeks later
#553 3 years ago

Knocked out Bluto again last night. Game sure is fun. I want to dislike it because... well everyone else hates it. I just wish the upper deck was more playable.

It's funny, I have World Poker Tour and I can control the ball on the upper playfield really well, but the Sweet Pea upper deck is just clown shoes.

2 weeks later
#554 3 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Knocked out Bluto again last night. Game sure is fun. I want to dislike it because... well everyone else hates it. I just wish the upper deck was more playable.
It's funny, I have World Poker Tour and I can control the ball on the upper playfield really well, but the Sweet Pea upper deck is just clown shoes.

Did you replace the upper flippers with lightning flippers?

#555 3 years ago

Nope, I think they're factory.

#556 3 years ago

The backglass even shows with lightning flippers

#557 3 years ago

Yeah the main playfield flippers are lightning flippers (20-9734-5), the upper deck flippers are 2" flippers (20-9732-5).

#558 3 years ago

I put standard flippers on the bottom and moved the lightning flippers to the upper based on suggestions found earlier in this club thread. I enjoy the game a lot more now.

1 week later
#559 3 years ago

Still looking for a scan of the Miniplayfield. And did somebody scan the plastics or has at least sharp highres photos?

#560 3 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Ok I want to chime in. First thinner post rubbers on sweet pee ramp, thin wall ones. Pinballlife has them. Next this will help too. New return springs on your upper flipper mechanisms. It will pull the flipper back quicker, so you can rehit the ball a split second sooner/quicker.

#561 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Still looking for a scan of the Miniplayfield. And did somebody scan the plastics or has at least sharp highres photos?

Sold my Popeye sadly but I think I still have a mini playfield in very good condition amongst a box of parts

#562 3 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Ok I want to chime in. First thinner post rubbers on sweet pee ramp, thin wall ones. Pinballlife has them. Next this will help too. New return springs on your upper flipper mechanisms. It will pull the flipper back quicker, so you can rehit the ball a split second sooner/quicker.

Already done both hah. It's no biggie, that part is just difficult! The shots are very short and fast is all.

#563 3 years ago

Hi everyone. Has anyone installed a new translucent animal ramp? I see pinballife has them but with no pictures installed. Was thinking of going with the yellow one.

Have always disliked how the left animal ramp obscures the in/out lanes.

#564 3 years ago

I've installed a red one. There is a yellow one somewhere in this thread. They're both pretty sharp.

IMG_20190417_010620 (resized).jpgIMG_20190417_010620 (resized).jpgIMG_20190417_010631 (resized).jpgIMG_20190417_010631 (resized).jpg

Edit: I don't know if he posted a completed game with the yellow ramp but here's a close one:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-owners-group/page/6#post-4049009

#565 3 years ago

That red ramp looks fantastic. I will be getting of the two for sure! Thank you for the pictures.

1 week later
#566 3 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I've installed a red one. There is a yellow one somewhere in this thread. They're both pretty sharp.
[quoted image][quoted image]
Edit: I don't know if he posted a completed game with the yellow ramp but here's a close one:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-owners-group/page/6#post-4049009

Here is the yellow ramp for anyone interested. I just joined the owners club, and love this machine so far.

20210129_203136 (resized).jpg20210129_203136 (resized).jpg20210129_203301 (resized).jpg20210129_203301 (resized).jpg
#567 3 years ago

The yellow ramp looks perfect. I have one on order.

#568 3 years ago

I'm looking for someone who has a Popeye pinball machine and can burn eproms themselves, and who wants to test something for me..
PM me please if you want to test something.
thanks!

Added over 3 years ago:

Edit: not needed anymore, thanks.

2 weeks later
#569 3 years ago

Putting a pinshaker premium in Popeye this weekend. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions or potential issues I might run into?

#570 3 years ago
Quoted from Froytheorc:

Putting a pinshaker premium in Popeye this weekend. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions or potential issues I might run into?

Thanks for your business and I hope it exceeds your expectations! If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Robert Goebel
Pinshakers LLC

1 month later
#571 3 years ago

My animal kicker has been having problems. When I took linkage apart I saw that a bushing had broken leaving slop in the linkage. Any ideas on how to replace this bushing? Can't find a part number in the manual or parts list.

Thanks!

popeye-broken-bushing (resized).jpgpopeye-broken-bushing (resized).jpg
1 week later
#572 3 years ago
Quoted from lou:

My animal kicker has been having problems. When I took linkage apart I saw that a bushing had broken leaving slop in the linkage. Any ideas on how to replace this bushing? Can't find a part number in the manual or parts list.
Thanks![quoted image]

I used a rubber hose that would be used for automotive fuel line. Ending up being a better option than the metal bushing. Just an idea.

#573 3 years ago
Quoted from lou:

Thanks![quoted image]

Here is the parts breakdown if you don’t have it. Don’t see where that bushing might be.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
1 week later
#574 2 years ago
Quoted from TLNubs:

I used a rubber hose that would be used for automotive fuel line. Ending up being a better option than the metal bushing. Just an idea.

This is a good idea. Thanks!

#575 2 years ago

Need some help on Popeye. My flashers are not working properly. The upper left red and the lower left blue flasher will be in low with door switch open and solid bright when shut. I did recently add ColorDMD and flipper button LEDs. I’ve checked all fuses and inspected the wiring. Where else should I be looking?

#576 2 years ago

Start by looking on the main board at Q30. Might be blown. Both of those lights (22) are driven by that transistor.

Q30 (resized).pngQ30 (resized).png

Not a great copy, but that's the location.

Also unplug one bulb from each flasher socket to see if one lights without the other.

#577 2 years ago
Quoted from TLNubs:

Need some help on Popeye. My flashers are not working properly. The upper left red and the lower left blue flasher will be in low with door switch open and solid bright when shut. I did recently add ColorDMD and flipper button LEDs. I’ve checked all fuses and inspected the wiring. Where else should I be looking?

A flasher locked on is usually a bad transistor on the board

#578 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Start by looking on the main board at Q30. Might be blown. Both of those lights (22) are driven by that transistor.
[quoted image]
Not a great copy, but that's the location.
Also unplug one bulb from each flasher socket to see if one lights without the other.

Perfect! I will look into it. Haven’t had a moment to do so yet. Appreciate the feedback

#579 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

A flasher locked on is usually a bad transistor on the board

Excellent info. Appreciate it!

1 week later
#580 2 years ago

Adding this back into the collection soon and I am wondering if anyone has installed the smoke black ramp replacement? If so, could you snap a pic? Curious how it looks in the machine...

https://www.pinballlife.com/popeye-left-main-ramp.html

3 weeks later
#581 2 years ago

I think there are examples in here of red and yellow. Anything is better than that opaque!

#582 2 years ago

Wound up going yellow. Not sure how much you'd see through the smoke, though I like the idea.

#583 2 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

Wound up going yellow. Not sure how much you'd see through the smoke, though I like the idea.

I went with red but the yellow is incredibly sharp. Share a picture when you have a chance!

#584 2 years ago

I also bought a red one, in my eyes the best choice as it is visually the best complement to the skillshot unit. But not installed yet. I will post some photos when it‘s done.

#585 2 years ago

Tech questions for you Popeye owners. Intermittently when I shoot the Brutus lock (jaw) I will have to nudge the game front to back to get the ball to recognize that its there before it kicks out. All switches work and are new. I also hear that this was a common issue? Is there a fix?

I would like to take this game to the ClePin show but I dont want any issues. Other wise the game looks and plays great (I also may sell it there as well).

Any help would be great.

#586 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

Tech questions for you Popeye owners. Intermittently when I shoot the Brutus lock (jaw) I will have to nudge the game front to back to get the ball to recognize that its there before it kicks out. All switches work and are new. I also hear that this was a common issue? Is there a fix?
I would like to take this game to the ClePin show but I dont want any issues. Other wise the game looks and plays great (I also may sell it there as well).
Any help would be great.

Is it when you are locking ball 1 or 2 or is it happening when the lock is not lit?

If not lit, then it will be the lower most switch closest to the solenoid that needs adjusted.

#587 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Is it when you are locking ball 1 or 2 or is it happening when the lock is not lit?
If not lit, then it will be the lower most switch closest to the solenoid that needs adjusted.

Its when the ball lock is not lit (from what I remember). I will look at the assembly again, it works great in test mode and when I have the assembly in my hand. I can hear the switch click and stay on when at rest at the coil. I was thinking that it may bounce of the coil and the software notices that the ball is not there for that brief moment until the switch is reset again by the nudge. I have adjusted it but I will look at it again.

#588 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

Its when the ball lock is not lit (from what I remember). I will look at the assembly again, it works great in test mode and when I have the assembly in my hand. I can hear the switch click and stay on when at rest at the coil. I was thinking that it may bounce of the coil and the software notices that the ball is not there for that brief moment until the switch is reset again by the nudge. I have adjusted it but I will look at it again.

Are you testing the switch with a ball or with a finger? If you have the mech in hand, use a ball to make sure the switch is made. Also make sure the coil plunger is square to the ball and not holding ball to one side of the trough. (I think the ball rests on the plunger)

#589 2 years ago

The difficulty is that the switches might do great with the playfield up but when you put the playfield down and you're relying on gravity to activate the switches and keep the switches activated it might act completely differently. It's a super tough mech to dial in.

#590 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

The difficulty is that the switches might do great with the playfield up but when you put the playfield down and you're relying on gravity to activate the switches and keep the switches activated it might act completely differently. It's a super tough mech to dial in.

Agree. That thing is a pain to work on and test reliably.

3 weeks later
#591 2 years ago
Quoted from lou:

Thanks![quoted image]

Also popeye owners check back gate springs for back loop. The very back of pinball machine. I had both springs stretched and came unhooked and one of the gates or flap was broken.

IMG_0588 (resized).JPGIMG_0588 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#592 2 years ago

Can some of the Popeye owners give this great game a decent review? It’s pretty low on the list. There is a lot of Popeye haters. Isn’t it like 260 on the list. It’s a top 100 game!

5114C83F-8EF7-4C72-B286-433BB35E5867 (resized).jpeg5114C83F-8EF7-4C72-B286-433BB35E5867 (resized).jpeg
#593 2 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Can some of the Popeye owners give this great game a decent review? It’s pretty low on the list. There is a lot of Popeye haters. Isn’t it like 260 on the list. It’s a top 100 game!
[quoted image]

...not anymore, if you put toooo much blue bulbs in it !
Everybody will become seasick

But generally you're right. It's a complete game with a consequent design.
The people don't give the pin a 2nd look after the first 'Toys R Us' impression.

#594 2 years ago

When I got it it was blue themed LEDs. So when I did the restore on it. I kept that theme, as when I fell in love with the machine.

#595 2 years ago

Picked this guy up last weekend.

3D6947DC-AC4A-496D-ACF2-7B6BD67D04C1 (resized).jpeg3D6947DC-AC4A-496D-ACF2-7B6BD67D04C1 (resized).jpeg
#596 2 years ago
Quoted from JerodP:

Picked this guy up last weekend.
[quoted image]

...sadly a flat Brutus and a plastic connection ramp to feed the animals, but hey - welcome to the club !

#597 2 years ago

Welcome to our Popeye family!

#598 2 years ago

Potentially selling my Popeye Saves the Earth to make room for a couple new games. Hate to see it go, but room is room.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/119102

1 week later
#599 2 years ago

Hello fellow Popeye owners, need some help. My PSTE is only registering 3 played balls before ending the game. Any thoughts on what to check?

Thanks in advance.
Andy

#600 2 years ago

What do you want it to do? Play 5?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 40.00
$ 85.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 905 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-owners-group/page/12?hl=froytheorc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.