• Stargate 82 votes
    63%
  • I don’t care for either. (Leave your recommendation in the thread) 14 votes
    11%

(130 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

let-it-go (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrossman5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Sorry for all the Popeye threads lately, just really on the fence about getting one. One of my buying partners tells me that they would rather have a stargate but I know that wpc dmds are way better than sys 3s, although stargate is a highly regarded game and Popeye really isn’t. I think they are around the same price. Is it worth it for a better system and brand?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Amazingly I have never played Popeye but I can't think of a DMD game other than Barb Wire that I'd want less than Stargate

Really? What don’t you like about Stargate?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
That really got under my skin after a few months.
Again, just my opinion.
RM

I do agree with that! Do you think Popeye would last longer in a small collection like mine? I tend to get annoyed when the game tells me the same damn things more than 10 times each game.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from SeymorGoldfarbJr:

I love them both. The layouts and feel are quite different though. Both have good rules but Stargate is deeper. Popeye on the other hand has better sounds and animations.
The only real solution is to play each and decide. Enjoyment of pinball is completely subjective which is why a poll is useless to me. These threads are helpful though when they point out details and nuances of the game you may not have been aware of previously.

Well said. I didn’t get much time on either so I didn’t really get deep into the code. I plan to keep either game for a little while so “deepness” matters to me. I just assumed Stargate was all mode based like most other sys 3 games so I thought it could get stale quickly. Popeye (to me) seems like it had more to offer but then again I didn’t get much time on it. How deep is Popeye and do you think it would get stale in a very small collection like mine with an tight budget?

#17 5 years ago

I understand the roots of the code (sorta), but not completely familiar with it. Could someone please explain the code in depth to me?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Both suck. Popeyes sucks most.

I am just really not grasping what is so wrong with either game. Popeye seems to get a LOT of hate. Is it the theme?

#27 5 years ago

Does stargate have a color dmd?

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hopefully soon...

It’d be HUGE for that game. Can’t even imagine what they could do with it.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Get both!! I see you have ads for both. Since they’re not too expensive, I’d pick up both of them.

I wish man! Nobody seems to have anything good around these parts.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What "parts" are you in?

Northwest PA. About an hour from Erie. Nothing is ever there. Allentown and Philly are about 7 hours away. Buffalo and Pittsburgh are the cities probably closest to me.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Battle of the turds

What other games should I look at around the same price?

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Does it have to be a DMD? Never could understand why pass up some great alpha numeric games.
Some recommendations for DMD:
World Cup Soccer
No Fear
Baywatch
What about awesome system 11 like High Speed?

Yeah, I already have a Riverboat Gambler and have had a High Speed for over 2 years. Just sold it. Just so used to alpha numeric. I’d love to have a game with a color dmd.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you're willing to drive, use a national or regional craigslist search (like adhuntr, etc). Good deals pop up in strange places. There was a guy in Atlanta (too far for you, but an example) that had a Teed Off, Slugfest, and Maverick for only $2900 total. You could easily double your money fixing and reselling those, and suddenly you're shopping for a brand new Stern Pro machine with the proceeds from your $2900 investment. Or you could sell the first two, recouping your money completely and a little more, then keep Maverick as your DMD for free.

Great advice man. I’ll look into that.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from IceMaster:

I had a Stargate for a few months and I traded a players Black Rose for it. I don’t regret the trade but I feel like most Stargates have a lot of playfield wear, I looked at several, that B/W wouldn’t have. I think Stargate was a great game but it just never clicked for me. It’s a game without flow and I think for some, that can be a dealbreaker. I like cradle separations and post passes and you don’t really get that with those Gottlieb flippers. For me, I think it just comes down to how it shoots. I loved everything about Stargate except that. I didn’t even mind the shoot the pyramid call out. It also sold pretty quickly for a good price so I think it was worth owning for a few months. The Stargate club is very passionate and knowledgeable and you could be one of those people that say, “It’s bolted to the floor.” But I do agree that there are better DMD games in this price bracket.

I agree. It seems like all of those Gottlieb games have the same feel that I don’t really care for. Do you have any experience with Popeye?

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from IceMaster:

Never played one. I don’t really like the theme and I don’t want lightning flippers unless it’s BSD. I do feel like owning a Gottlieb game was at least worth the experience. I used to think I only wanted to own and work on B/W games, then I got a DE, then a Gottlieb, then a Sega. I feel like people avoid certain games as if they’re going to be stuck with them forever. I couldn’t sell my Black Rose for $2300 for months, which is another top 100 game and my rough Stargate sold in two weeks for $2500. If you can play both beforehand, do that. If you don’t like the one you pick, sell it and get another game. I know pinball machines are expensive and it seems like a big commitment when you get one but there will always be someone there to buy your game when you want to sell it.

Very well said. For me, it is quite a commitment to get a machine because it is a pain in the ass to get it through my doors. I have already had a sys 3, Gladiators, and got rid of it quick. I know stargate is better, but I am scared the same thing will happen with stargate that happened with Gladiators. Boy that game got old quick.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Yes. The color is red.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Some might dislike it due to theme. Some might dislike it because the damage it did to Williams as a company when they released it. I personally dislike it for gameplay reasons. There are a mix of factors at play with Popeye, depending on what angle you're coming from. I know some people who really enjoy it, too.

It seems like you either hate it or you love it.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from tuneup1:

There is a "Semi-Colour-Display" called Pn2DMD available, check it out here:
» YouTube video
and here:
» YouTube video
But it is not really comparable to Color-DMD, since it´s homebrew/open source as far as i know
Apart from that: my vote for Stargate... own it for years now, no regrets!

Yeah, I saw that video on YouTube. ColorDMD claimed “We don’t have multicolor support for Gottlieb games yet but is likely something we will begin to support this year. If you sign on to our mailing list we’ll keep you notified regarding new product releases and updates.” so hopefully they will release this one this year. I’m sure Stargate is there most requested one, so it will probably be the first one that they produce.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I've owned SG for almost 10 years, while others have left. I like that it is completely different from my other games, (plus it's got some depth.)
I would also totally consider a Popeye for a good price.
(Oh, and I was just kidding about the red color DMD remark.)

I agree, it is very different. Also a big fan of the movie, so that helps. Maybe I’ll get Stargate and make room for a Popeye if one pops up around 2k. In some ways, I am kinda glad people bash it because it makes the price so low! 2k seems like an excellent value for any dot matrix Bally/Williams game. You can’t go wrong with the theme Popeye either!

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Ugh, I know!!!!! I haven't given up on figuring out how to make more room out here.

There is always a way.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

All of the repetitive callouts on Stargate can be turned off at the beginning of each ball by holding in both flippers.
Every time I see people dig this game cause of the repetitive sounds I laugh cause it’s so easy to eliminate them.

That’s very clever coding imo. They probably knew people would get sick of the callouts.

#73 5 years ago

Probably going to go with Stargate and maybe get a Popeye down the line if the price is right. Just finished Stargate the movie and it was excellent imo. I know a lot of people hate it, but there is something about Popeye that I really like and it keeps me coming back. In some ways, I am glad people hate the theme and layout, because it makes it an excellent value. Around 2k for any B/W dmd is a win in my book.

2 months later
#75 5 years ago

Ended up going with Stargate! Really excellent game.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Umm, you know if you hold the flipper button in when you start a game, it turns most of that off right.

Exactly. SO nice that they did that. Not sure why people still complain about that. On my game, it says it right on the info card.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Benhurr:

I'll be there for any question. I know every part of this game.

Thanks very much. I’ll probably have some questions

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I like that it says "shoot the pyramid". It doesn't bother me.

I believe it gets repetitive, but I think any of the call outs are annoying.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
3,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 85.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrossman5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-or-stargate?tu=mrossman5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.